PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone with curly 3c hair?

legendya
March 1st, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have mostly 3c hair with small patches of 4a at the crown of my head. I'm curious about how 3c hair looks at different lengths. Is it more easier to manage short or long? It'd also be nice if you could post some tips on how you care for your hair.

AMD
March 1st, 2013, 03:09 PM
I have exactly what you described. My hair is just below BSL when straight, but sadly still above my shoulders when curly. What length were you looking to see?
My hair was easiest to manage when it was shoulder length straight (ear length curly).
I'm interested in seeing some super long 3c hair (I sometimes wonder if my superfine strands will ever weigh themselves down).

CurlyCap
March 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
I'm interested in seeing who joins this thread. I'm not a 3c (mostly 3b with some 3c around my hairline). But it's a hairtype I love and don't see enough of!

Edited:

Here's my hair when allowed to air dry without product. Close to 3c, but not curly enough. Still, maybe it'll help!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2m60l91.jpg

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
I think I'm a 3C. Mine looks a lot like Curlycaps in her photo posted above but its not as long (the longest parts hit my shoulders when curly).
Oh, I jsut noticed Curlycap is a 3B. confusion again!
I find it hard to tell what hair type I am as there seem to be different systems and the examples I see when going around the internet are not consistent. I see hair that looks very different from mine described as 3C and hair that looks the same described as anything from 3B-4A. My suspicion is that I am mostly 3C with some 4a in the back and maybe some 3B on the crown, but I couldn't swear to that. However, I find that the amount of curl definition is somewhat important, but not that important...? I have coarse hair, so it would behave very differently from AMD's. Its also low porosity which would make it different again. Often I find that the things I need to do to my hair have more in common with coarse, low porosity people who don't have curly hair than they do with those with fine strands who are curly.
My hair has been bra strap length at its longest (I'm trying to get it back there), its currently armpit stretched and touches my shoulders curly, in my case the longer it is, the easier it is to manage and the more versatile it is. My hints would be, first of all, MOISTURE (for years I couldn't manage my hair at all, it was just a big ball of unruly frizz, because it was dry); 2) way more MOISTURE than you think--I pre-treat with SMTS under a heating cap, I co-wash in cool water (has made a tremendous difference), I vinegar rinse, I use a lot of leave in, I finger comb only, while damp and full of conditioner, I spritz with a rosewater aloe vera mixture and use more leave in, mixture of shea butter, aloe vera, avocado and other oils everytime I comb my hair, I stretch washes. But if you have fine hair, these things may be too heavy for you. so its trial and error. I use braiding to stretch and control my curls and to keep them from tangling at night (but if you have non tangly hair, you may not need this). I find flax seed gel to be the best curl definer. I don't use 'curl' products, those curl enhancers, they are expensive and do nothing for me except make my hair feel stiff and awful, I wash with those cheapie VO5 conditioners and I use regular conditioners as leave-ins, such as tresseme or aussie moist 3-minute--I learned this from terry laflesh's site, tightlycurly.com, that might be a useful place for you to go. HTH

legendya
March 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I'm interested in seeing who joins this thread. I'm not a 3c (mostly 3b with some 3c around my hairline). But it's a hairtype I love and don't see enough of! Edited: Here's my hair when allowed to air dry without product. Close to 3c, but not curly enough. Still, maybe it'll help! http://i44.tinypic.com/2m60l91.jpg Your hair looks nice, CurlyCap. My hair looks like yours, but some curls are smaller with a wavy looking pattern and alot of frizz.

Iaine
March 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have baby fine 3C hair. It's below BSL when straight, but will shrink up just above my shoulders if I let it. I discovered that my hair needs protein to give it some substance, and, during the winter, I need to get it wet twice a week to replace some of the moisture that's been lost. My hair has never been shorter than BSL straightened, so I'm not sure how much easier it would've been to maintain at a shorter length, but if I don't detangle thoroughly on each wash day, it will be a monster to detangle later.

Here's my hair after I just took it out of a braid: http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/Hair%20Photos/EE353EDA-0592-4B3B-A011-F1DB8F949C25-1452-000001FCC701FF02.jpg

And here it is with a piece stretched so you can see the shrinkage I deal with: http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/Hair%20Photos/65A211B0-A6AC-474A-8DF1-B8E60F6B454F-1452-000001FD1FCD23C7.jpg

Iaine
March 10th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I think I'm a 3C. Mine looks a lot like Curlycaps in her photo posted above but its not as long (the longest parts hit my shoulders when curly).
Oh, I jsut noticed Curlycap is a 3B. confusion again!
I find it hard to tell what hair type I am as there seem to be different systems and the examples I see when going around the internet are not consistent. I see hair that looks very different from mine described as 3C and hair that looks the same described as anything from 3B-4A. My suspicion is that I am mostly 3C with some 4a in the back and maybe some 3B on the crown, but I couldn't swear to that. However, I find that the amount of curl definition is somewhat important, but not that important...? I have coarse hair, so it would behave very differently from AMD's. Its also low porosity which would make it different again. Often I find that the things I need to do to my hair have more in common with coarse, low porosity people who don't have curly hair than they do with those with fine strands who are curly.
My hair has been bra strap length at its longest (I'm trying to get it back there), its currently armpit stretched and touches my shoulders curly, in my case the longer it is, the easier it is to manage and the more versatile it is. My hints would be, first of all, MOISTURE (for years I couldn't manage my hair at all, it was just a big ball of unruly frizz, because it was dry); 2) way more MOISTURE than you think--I pre-treat with SMTS under a heating cap, I co-wash in cool water (has made a tremendous difference), I vinegar rinse, I use a lot of leave in, I finger comb only, while damp and full of conditioner, I spritz with a rosewater aloe vera mixture and use more leave in, mixture of shea butter, aloe vera, avocado and other oils everytime I comb my hair, I stretch washes. But if you have fine hair, these things may be too heavy for you. so its trial and error. I use braiding to stretch and control my curls and to keep them from tangling at night (but if you have non tangly hair, you may not need this). I find flax seed gel to be the best curl definer. I don't use 'curl' products, those curl enhancers, they are expensive and do nothing for me except make my hair feel stiff and awful, I wash with those cheapie VO5 conditioners and I use regular conditioners as leave-ins, such as tresseme or aussie moist 3-minute--I learned this from terry laflesh's site, tightlycurly.com, that might be a useful place for you to go. HTH

I despise curl enhancers as well because they make my hair feel hard and icky. I've just learned to accept that my fine hair won't hold styles for very long, not even its own curl pattern.

AMD
March 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
this is mine at BSL when straightened
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/sugarcoated649/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/IMG_4295.jpg

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I despise curl enhancers as well because they make my hair feel hard and icky. I've just learned to accept that my fine hair won't hold styles for very long, not even its own curl pattern.
Try flax seed gel. It feels really squishy and icky until it dries but its very nice. There are youtube videos on it and many people on naturallycurly.com love it.

Iaine
March 12th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Try flax seed gel. It feels really squishy and icky until it dries but its very nice. There are youtube videos on it and many people on naturallycurly.com love it.

Do you make the gel yourself or purchase it?

MissTulip
March 14th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I've never been quite sure if my hair is classified as 3b or 3c. In my sig pic, and most of the time after a wash, I use coconut oil first while my hair is still soaking wet, then 2 types of gel on top of that. I let the curl pattern set for about 15 minutes and then stretch the curls out a bit with a blow dryer. I'll find another pic where it has not been touched with product or heat after washing.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Do you make the gel yourself or purchase it?
I make it and keep in the fridge even though I put in vitamin e to preserve it.'
Directions are all over youtube. Basically you boil them until they make gel and strain the seeds out through a stocking or strainer. It's great stuff!

legendya
March 15th, 2013, 12:56 AM
this is mine at BSL when straightened http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/sugarcoated649/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/IMG_4295.jpg Wow. we have very similar hair!

legendya
March 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I have baby fine 3C hair. It's below BSL when straight, but will shrink up just above my shoulders if I let it. I discovered that my hair needs protein to give it some substance, and, during the winter, I need to get it wet twice a week to replace some of the moisture that's been lost. My hair has never been shorter than BSL straightened, so I'm not sure how much easier it would've been to maintain at a shorter length, but if I don't detangle thoroughly on each wash day, it will be a monster to detangle later. Here's my hair after I just took it out of a braid: http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/Hair%20Photos/EE353EDA-0592-4B3B-A011-F1DB8F949C25-1452-000001FCC701FF02.jpg And here it is with a piece stretched so you can see the shrinkage I deal with: http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/Hair%20Photos/65A211B0-A6AC-474A-8DF1-B8E60F6B454F-1452-000001FD1FCD23C7.jpg How does your hair look unstretched? You, curlycap, and AMD seem to have the same length. What a coincidence! My hair shoulder length stretched. I've got a long ways to go!

Vintagecoilylocks
March 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM
To all of you who are natural, have you tried Terry LA FLesh's tighly curly method? It works wonders on separating and elongating 3c and 4a hair curls. The definition really comes out. I found that it also minimized tangles between wash days. She has a complete collection of how too video's on you tube and no expensive products required. She has a book called curly like Me you can down load.

As for my self i have a combination head. starting at my nape its 2c/3c and changes to 4a. My 2c/3c is wavy but curls only on the bottom 5-6 inches. The 4a also only coils at the bottom. Now this could be because it is so long and I keep it braided. Here is a photo the last time I washed and combed(before I found Terry's method) loose in 2010 and no products. It is still wet but you can see the change of texture from the nape to the crown.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/vintagecoilylocks/nikonpixX1906.jpg

This is my crown dry

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/vintagecoilylocks/latesummerandFall2012A015.jpg

LOng or short I had to find out what was the best way to handle my hair. . It grew longer as I discovered the best way to treat it. Its easier now than when it was short because i was clueless. Yes its takes longer to braid a classic length braid but what fun.

Iaine
March 15th, 2013, 10:18 AM
To all of you who are natural, have you tried Terry LA FLesh's tighly curly method? It works wonders on separating and elongating 3c and 4a hair curls. The definition really comes out. I found that it also minimized tangles between wash days. She has a complete collection of how too video's on you tube and no expensive products required. She has a book called curly like Me you can down load.

As for my self i have a combination head. starting at my nape its 2c/3c and changes to 4a. My 2c/3c is wavy but curls only on the bottom 5-6 inches. The 4a also only coils at the bottom. Now this could be because it is so long and I keep it braided. Here is a photo the last time I washed and combed(before I found Terry's method) loose in 2010 and no products. It is still wet but you can see the change of texture from the nape to the crown.

This is my crown dry

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/vintagecoilylocks/latesummerandFall2012A015.jpg

LOng or short I had to find out what was the best way to handle my hair. . It grew longer as I discovered the best way to treat it. Its easier now than when it was short because i was clueless. Yes its takes longer to braid a classic length braid but what fun.

I tried her method when I was first starting out. It was cumbersome for me, because I was unfamiliar with how to deal with my texture. I've kept a lot of the principles, but I think I might go back to it for a year to see how my hair fairs.

Iaine
March 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hey, legendya. I have to wash my hair tonight, so I'll take a picture of it unstretched. The back of my hair shrinks more than the sides, so it usually ends up just touching my shoulders on the sides, and it hovers above my shoulders in the back.

Iaine
March 15th, 2013, 08:23 PM
My hair poofs into oblivion without product. It can't even figure out its own curl pattern.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/6CE08323-0E01-4283-86E1-A75BAAC3C926-1712-000002D9DBA55FC2.jpg

CurlyCap
March 15th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Your hair looks nice, CurlyCap. My hair looks like yours, but some curls are smaller with a wavy looking pattern and alot of frizz.

Frizz is part of the curly game. My hair is endlessly frizzy until I learned to use enough moisturizer to choke a horse. Really. I'm not exaggerating. That and detangling while soaking wet and leaving it alone after that.

MandyBeth
March 15th, 2013, 09:53 PM
My daughter is full on 3c/4a hair. No pictures as she's 7, but her hair is now at erm mid back curly. It's to her knees pulled straight. We cut a LOT off due to damage, it was full on ankle pulled straight. I'm not sure how much longer her hair can really grow past what we cut it from. She loses half her length to spring factor, but what we are seeing now is she's getting way more east/west direction and she likes it.

I don't know about short hair. She's never had it since she's lived with us, and she refuses to consider it. It's pretty easy to deal with now, she does need it CO-washed DAILY or you can't do anything with it. It's pulled back in a braid or up 95% of the time, but she's 7 and into everything, so she's not exactly careful with her hair loose.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Frizz is part of the curly game. My hair is endlessly frizzy until I learned to use enough moisturizer to choke a horse. Really. I'm not exaggerating. That and detangling while soaking wet and leaving it alone after that.
Yes, I need endless moisturizer.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM

This is my crown dry

I do a variation on her method. I think she is good for 3C's because the products she recommends aren't the mousses and curl enhancers but just conditioners that truly give moisture. However, I don't do her whole method because I get impatient, I have thick hair and really can't imagine defining every curl the way she does, it takes FOREVER (even with a denman, which I tried a couple of times).
What works for me right now is using one of the 'slippy' conditioners she recommends as a leave in after cowashing and then just finger detangling my hair quickly and doing two to four large braids for my hair to dry in. When I undo the braids the first time, the curls are there without having been defined--and they are stretched out somewhat, which is good because it combats the shrinkage to some extent. If I keep braiding it every night though, my hair straightens out too much, which wouldn't happen with her method, I am sure. I am just too busy, lazy right now, however and anyway, I wear my hair up a lot, hoping to grow it.
I love your hair vintagecoilylocks.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 10:10 PM
My daughter is full on 3c/4a hair. No pictures as she's 7, but her hair is now at erm mid back curly. It's to her knees pulled straight. We cut a LOT off due to damage, it was full on ankle pulled straight. I'm not sure how much longer her hair can really grow past what we cut it from. She loses half her length to spring factor, but what we are seeing now is she's getting way more east/west direction and she likes it.

I don't know about short hair. She's never had it since she's lived with us, and she refuses to consider it. It's pretty easy to deal with now, she does need it CO-washed DAILY or you can't do anything with it. It's pulled back in a braid or up 95% of the time, but she's 7 and into everything, so she's not exactly careful with her hair loose.
Sounds gorgeous.
I could see that happening to me, if I was ever lucky enough to grow knee-length hair. It would look like waist length. However, I don't hate my shrinkage. I get a little irritated sometimes that you can't see my length, but on the other hand, I love the spring and bounce of curls, its what makes them pretty and fun. And you don't get that without shrinkage--essentially 'spring' and 'shrinkage' are exactly the same thing.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 10:11 PM
double post, sorry

Iaine
March 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Sounds gorgeous.
I could see that happening to me, if I was ever lucky enough to grow knee-length hair. It would look like waist length. However, I don't hate my shrinkage. I get a little irritated sometimes that you can't see my length, but on the other hand, I love the spring and bounce of curls, its what makes them pretty and fun. And you don't get that without shrinkage--essentially 'spring' and 'shrinkage' are exactly the same thing.

I've never really thought about it that way, but it seems they are one in the same. I'm trying to learn to love the shrinkage, but I just despise short, big hair on me. I wrap my hair around my head at night to lessen the effects of shrinkage. It allows my hair to stay curly while looking longer, and my bangs aren't as short.

MandyBeth
March 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Since her hair is long, the "sprong" factor, which is also what pushes hair east-west, is pretty cute if she wears it full on fluffy but it's got enough length to braid nicely.

I will say she can't really manage it on her own, but she's learning.

We do more Curly Girl vs Tightly Curly more as TC takes about 3 hours on her. She does have some extra fluff with CG, but oh well. Plus she does get her hair washed daily so meh.

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I've never really thought about it that way, but it seems they are one in the same. I'm trying to learn to love the shrinkage, but I just despise short, big hair on me. I wrap my hair around my head at night to lessen the effects of shrinkage. It allows my hair to stay curly while looking longer, and my bangs aren't as short.
Oh, yes, the doobie or 'dubi'. My cousins used to do that and it would make their wavy hair straight. It doesn't work well on my hair. It does stop shrinkage in a way, since my hair stretches out then, but it makes the curl go away in a bad way. I just get bushy, frizzy hair from that. Or I used to. I've never tried it since I learned to moisturize my hair.

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Since her hair is long, the "sprong" factor, which is also what pushes hair east-west, is pretty cute if she wears it full on fluffy but it's got enough length to braid nicely.

We do more Curly Girl vs Tightly Curly more as TC takes about 3 hours on her. She does have some extra fluff with CG, but oh well. Plus she does get her hair washed daily so meh.
Yes, TC does take forever even with my much shorter hair, I can't imagine doing it on knee-length hair. On a child with knee length hair.
Its interesting that you can wash her hair every day. My hair can't take daily washing, or even daily co-washing. It gets horrifically dry and as you know, dry 3c hair is a disaster.
It's probably because you wash every day that she has that much shrinkage. My hair shrinks a lot when washed and each day stretches out more, by the time I wash again (I'm a weekly washer) I have very little shrinkage--but I also have limp hair with no noticeable curl. That's only okay with me if I'm wearing it up. I hate having loose non-curly hair. It no longer frizzes like it used to, moisture makes all the difference with that, but I can't stand the texture. I'd rather have shorter curly hair than longer limp hair.
Isn't it interesting how our hair on this thread has the same or similar curl pattern but doesn't behave the same. I've been realizing more and more that curl pattern really is only one characteristic of hair, and a lot of other factors go into explaining how a particular individual's hair behaves, although I'm not sure what they are. Porosity I know is one and I think texture is another--I know that hair can be silky or (I don't know what to call it) not-silky, with the exact same amount of curl and behave very differently.
Also maybe the weather where a person lives? Not sure what other factors there are.

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM

Yes, TC does take forever even with my much shorter hair, I can't imagine doing it on knee-length hair. On a child with knee length hair.
Its interesting that you can wash her hair every day. My hair can't take daily washing, or even daily co-washing. It gets horrifically dry and as you know, dry 3c hair is a disaster.
It's probably because you wash every day that she has that much shrinkage. My hair shrinks a lot when washed and each day stretches out more, by the time I wash again (I'm a weekly washer) I have very little shrinkage--but I also have limp hair with no noticeable curl. That's only okay with me if I'm wearing it up. I hate having loose non-curly hair. It no longer frizzes like it used to, moisture makes all the difference with that, but I can't stand the texture. I'd rather have shorter curly hair than longer limp hair.
Isn't it interesting how our hair on this thread has the same or similar curl pattern but doesn't behave the same. I've been realizing more and more that curl pattern really is only one characteristic of hair, and a lot of other factors go into explaining how a particular individual's hair behaves, although I'm not sure what they are. Porosity I know is one and I think texture is another--I know that hair can be silky or (I don't know what to call it) not-silky, with the exact same amount of curl and behave very differently.
Also maybe the weather where a person lives? Not sure what other factors there are.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 17th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I do a variation on her method. I think she is good for 3C's because the products she recommends aren't the mousses and curl enhancers but just conditioners that truly give moisture. However, I don't do her whole method because I get impatient, I have thick hair and really can't imagine defining every curl the way she does, it takes FOREVER (even with a denman, which I tried a couple of times).
What works for me right now is using one of the 'slippy' conditioners she recommends as a leave in after cowashing and then just finger detangling my hair quickly and doing two to four large braids for my hair to dry in. When I undo the braids the first time, the curls are there without having been defined--and they are stretched out somewhat, which is good because it combats the shrinkage to some extent. If I keep braiding it every night though, my hair straightens out too much, which wouldn't happen with her method, I am sure. I am just too busy, lazy right now, however and anyway, I wear my hair up a lot, hoping to grow it.
I love your hair vintagecoilylocks.

I modified her method fopr myself also because I just don't have a life style that I could wear my hair out like she does. So I am not to concerned with the curl aspect. Like you I simple finger detangle and braid. But I wash in braids and do my detangling when dry. I have also since then moved on to water only and only my home made products. Its really amazing how this journey keeps evolving for me. My goal was simple, inexpensive care that completely suported my hair needs. Iam getting close. My one plague now during winter is the lent from sweaters and I suspect these blower heating system I am working in. I can not wear my head covering at work and I am really seeing the difference. I really want to get this sorted as I am slowly getting up to and classic on one side and past it on the other. MY layers are very slowly moving down. I want to go to less braids once My crown and middle rear is solidly below lower TBL. Lots of braids on the longer hair is starting to take more time.

Iaine
March 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Vintagecoilylocks, I can't wait until my hair gets as long as yours. Has your hair ever been shorter than waist?

Vintagecoilylocks
March 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Vintagecoilylocks, I can't wait until my hair gets as long as yours. Has your hair ever been shorter than waist? When I was 3 yrs old almost four my mom had photo's taken after the first time my hair was hot combed. It was just below shoulder. As i grew older and of course taller it still never got any longer than that until I was pregnant and I think it was barely APL. I was like wow my hair can grow. Always wanting long hair but was resigned to the idea it would never be long. Years later living over sea's I was fed up with trying to keep it straight. I had a few years earlier had a roomate with waist length 4 something strawberry blonde hair. I was amazed how she handled her hair with never a complaint or desire to straighten it. So I began those many years ago. I gave up the relaxer but not the heat. But my hair made it to just above BSL. Then MBL and like a fool I got a wave relaxer. Lost huge amount of hair and it dryed and broke. Had to start all over growing it out. I did achieve BSL. Then I was still clueless of the proper care and was constantly changing products and using heat. Split ends always.
In 2002 with thin barely touching BSL, dry I came across the internet world. I found the Long Natural Haircare site amongst others. I talked to the owner of the site on the phone and he encouraged me not to give up and try again. Web sites like the international long hair club was extremely helpful. By 2003 I had a nicely recovered head of hair passing waist length. I was still not sure what I was doing but I kept doing it. I made it to BCL with the original layers but was sure they would eventually catch up. I had almost completely conquered the split ends and then in 2005 almost 2006 due to stress illness and the age chnge ( I believe) I began a massive shed. I stalled at BCL, thinking I was terminal and was struggling to keep my hair on my head. In 2010 the shedding began to noticebly taper off and so I began a journey to reclaim my thickness. To my great joy later in 2010 I noticed I had also began to gain length and so far it is still gaining thickness and length. I started tweaking the regimine and products and I am still learning and growing. It is not as fast as it once was though. I have lots of stalls in area's. It is also growing lopsided. But I will take what I can get. I used to want only a Classic braid, now I am going for calf length. sorry it was so long.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 17th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I just want to add that Neil of the Long & Natural haircare site was the first person ever who encouraged me as an AA lady to try and acheive long hair. He never said that black people can not grow long hair. He said I could do it.

legendya
March 18th, 2013, 05:37 PM
To all of you who are natural, have you tried Terry LA FLesh's tighly curly method? It works wonders on separating and elongating 3c and 4a hair curls. The definition really comes out. I found that it also minimized tangles between wash days. She has a complete collection of how too video's on you tube and no expensive products required. She has a book called curly like Me you can down load. As for my self i have a combination head. starting at my nape its 2c/3c and changes to 4a. My 2c/3c is wavy but curls only on the bottom 5-6 inches. The 4a also only coils at the bottom. Now this could be because it is so long and I keep it braided. Here is a photo the last time I washed and combed(before I found Terry's method) loose in 2010 and no products. It is still wet but you can see the change of texture from the nape to the crown. http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/vintagecoilylocks/nikonpixX1906.jpg This is my crown dry http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/vintagecoilylocks/latesummerandFall2012A015.jpg LOng or short I had to find out what was the best way to handle my hair. . It grew longer as I discovered the best way to treat it. Its easier now than when it was short because i was clueless. Yes its takes longer to braid a classic length braid but what fun. Wow! Your hair is super long! Other than Teri, I haven't seen any 3cs with such long hair. It's really nice :) How long did it take you to grow it out? Is it difficult to manage at your length?

legendya
March 18th, 2013, 05:40 PM
My hair poofs into oblivion without product. It can't even figure out its own curl pattern. http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/Shiraishi_Michiyo/6CE08323-0E01-4283-86E1-A75BAAC3C926-1712-000002D9DBA55FC2.jpg Haha, mine does too. I always gotta braid it.

Helix
March 18th, 2013, 08:25 PM
I spotted some amazing 3c curls in this thread the other day, (near the bottom of the page):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96338&page=37

At least I think they're 3c and even if they're not, I doubt you're alone on here :)

Vintagecoilylocks
March 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Wow! Your hair is super long! Other than Teri, I haven't seen any 3cs with such long hair. It's really nice :) How long did it take you to grow it out? Is it difficult to manage at your length?

There are alot of 3c's out there with uber long hair. Many on this website. Well a brief story of my journey is in the post above and no it is not difficult to handle once I found what works. Like I said it takes longer to braid classic hair but thats it. When my hair was short I had no clue how to care for it and it took longer, more expense and more frustrating. A youtuber who is natural with 3c/4a long hair is 1ballareina and Mschicoro just came on you tube.

AMD
September 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I wanted to add to it again. I started using the tightly curly method this summer after the CG method failed me miserably. The combination of cones and the weight of the conditioner gives me a happier head of hair. It detangles quickly and looks good without having to touch it. Unfortunately, my hair still shrinks up to just below shoulder. It is now tickling waist.

The majority of my hair is 3c with my 4a crown section and some hair just below it. Looser hairs ranging from curly to straight are dispersed pretty evenly throughout. The curls seem to trap them well. I have very fine hair, high density.

This is before with the CG method. I had more frizz and way more tangles.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/sugarcoated649/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/IMG_4291.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/sugarcoated649/media/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/IMG_4291.jpg.html)

This is now with the tightly curly method, which has encouraged me to grow out my 3c hair to reach a waist when dry because I feel I can handle it now on wash days. Low maintenance.
Little to no frizz now! I simply put on a head scarf at night so my hair is behind me (sleep on my side). In the morning scarf off and go. I moisturize my ends with shea moisture in between washing, but I wash twice a week with this method.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/sugarcoated649/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/photo3.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/sugarcoated649/media/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/photo3.jpg.html)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/sugarcoated649/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/photo2.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/sugarcoated649/media/My%20hair%20for%20the%20LHC/photo2.jpg.html)

This is my crown dry

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Bumping this older thread in hopes of connecting again with 3c s out there.

I just had a good thread weeks of breakage which stopped when I started washing my hair every 3 days instead of stretching to two weeks like I have been doing.

people who are 3c (or 3b/3c combo or 3c/4a combo) how often do you find you have to wash your hair?

reilly0167
December 19th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Hi there....<3

Salwety
January 31st, 2016, 01:54 AM
Hi to all
I am a 3b/3c at APL ,, I try to stretch washing to once week, but me too found that my hair is better with more frequent washes like twice or thrice a week.
For me the best hair day is the wash day. Other than that it is less shiny and more frizzy and loses its curl patern.
May be I need to re introduce the coney conditioners to my routine. I stopped using them since following the CG method.

AceOfCurls
January 31st, 2016, 10:02 AM
Wow, you're 3b/3c and you sometimes wash your hair up to three times a week and your best hair day is your wash day?

For me, my wash day is my worst hair day. I think I'm 3b/3c. I wash my hair twice a week. I have two days of bad wash hair days, then a few days of good hair, then a bad hair day and wash time again. I can't seem to stretch my washes to just once a week.

CurlyCap
January 31st, 2016, 06:23 PM
Ace of Curls, I think it matters how you like your hair.
On wash day, my curls are super defined, but my hair is not as big as I like it.
If I go to day 2, frizz starts and it's still a little flat. Not my thing at all.
If I go to day 3 plus: The curls start to take on that halo effect with curls at the ends. It's super pretty, esp if I've been doing something active to make it big instead of just sleep+teasing. But it is also dry and tangled, so it's a steep trade off.

I now co-wash daily (and have for most of the last 5 years), because I don't have the time to deal with detangling. But I do miss my big hair. My hair these day is almost always damn or at it's "flattest".

ETA: See above for best freudian slip ever.

CremeTron
February 1st, 2016, 02:05 AM
hi CurlyCap, I miss co washing daily but in the winter I find it very cold. How do you cope? Or do you live in a warm climate- are you actually in LA? Or rather somewhere warm, sorry to be nosy not actually needing to know your exact location

Salwety
February 1st, 2016, 09:43 AM
Could you please share your routine and recommended products? And what helped you to retain length and keep your curls happy

CremeTron
February 2nd, 2016, 04:24 AM
Is this question ^^ to CurlyCap?

Salwety
February 2nd, 2016, 04:32 AM
Hi CremeTron ... its a question to all of us 3Cs to share our routine. And Iwould love to hear from you :D

CurlyCap
February 3rd, 2016, 12:11 AM
hi CurlyCap, I miss co washing daily but in the winter I find it very cold. How do you cope? Or do you live in a warm climate- are you actually in LA? Or rather somewhere warm, sorry to be nosy not actually needing to know your exact location

I cowash at night so my hair dries in my nice comfy apt. Even when I lived in a very cold place, this worked out. I can't shower in the morning; it makes me feel cold and my hair is wet all day at work.

My routine is in my blog, broken up by hair length.

AceOfCurls
February 3rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
I wish my curls were super defined on my wash day. They tend to just be frizzy. Does anyone else's hair hate coconut oil? Everyone praises the stuff but my hair hates it along with a few other oils.

Salwety
February 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Hi Aceofcurls happy ... how weird it is that we almost have the same hair type in term of curl patern yet a very different hair. I love my hair in the wash day with all the products in it, days other than that it is just a ball of fuzzy bird nest full of tangels, and my hair looooooves to be oiled-coconut and olive oil.
Anyways I have to admit you have beautiful curls

CremeTron
February 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Oh Hi Salwety!

It has been recently been pointed out to me that I may be type 3 but I do have 4a in parts. I co-wash once a week in winter and alternate days in the summer. Then I add a teeny bit of oil to ends and then either conditioner or gel. I do this in the morning so I go out with horrible wet hair which I hate. I also hate sleeping on wet hair.

Thanks CurlyCap. I am not always home early enough to do that but I could work it in on some days.

Question to all ladies here, how do you style your hair? Do you all bun and braid?

AceOfCurls
February 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Hi Salwety, thanks that picture was taken pre-henna. I henna'd my hair because I hated my curls and wanted straight hair which henna gave me. I went from a 3b/c to a 2a/b. I'm trying to get back to that hair though. I need all the encouragement. :) What type of shampoo do you use?

I let my hair air dry after I shower and keep it down until it becomes too much of a frizz fest at the end of the day then I bun. It's always the back of my head that looks like a mess. I can't figure out a way to distribute product evenly, ughh. lol I always miss a patch :/

Salwety
February 4th, 2016, 06:08 AM
CremeTrom ... when I go out I wear my hair in a bun all the time ... at home and for sleeping I alternate between buns and braids. My hair is in a bad shape and I don't want to see it.

AceofCurls ... I stopped using shampoo more than three month ago now I alternate between co wash and water only. If I need to clarify I will use sunsilk just because I have it.
For distributing the products I found that it is easier to have your hair in two or more sections and deal with each one separetly adding each layer of product over the other ( I follow the LOC method) and then air dry then I also bun or braid it.

I just hennad my hair yesterday. What was your henna recipe. I want my curls to relax a bit. Does it return baxk to its original condition? After how long?

AceOfCurls
February 5th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I used red raj, I think, from henna sooq. I henna'd my hair every week for like three months then twice a month until it was fully straight. Henna is permanent so at least for me it never washed out and my hair remained straight. I decided to take the plunge and get my curls back but that meant chopping off all my hair and starting over again.

Salwety
February 7th, 2016, 01:02 AM
Thanks AceofCurls. I didn't make my mind yet on wether I want to straightene my curls using your method or just do the henna once a month to strengthen my hair. I don't want to take another impulse decision and spend another year regreting it.

chen bao jun
February 12th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Oh Hi Salwety!

It has been recently been pointed out to me that I may be type 3 but I do have 4a in parts. I co-wash once a week in winter and alternate days in the summer. Then I add a teeny bit of oil to ends and then either conditioner or gel. I do this in the morning so I go out with horrible wet hair which I hate. I also hate sleeping on wet hair.

Thanks CurlyCap. I am not always home early enough to do that but I could work it in on some days.

Question to all ladies here, how do you style your hair? Do you all bun and braid?

I bun most of the time. Otherwise I crown braid.

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hey 3c's~~ Just wanted to stop by and say that your spiral curls are gorgeous in the pics below. Woot! Woot! Woot! :popcorn:

Salwety
February 12th, 2016, 10:09 PM
LongCurlyTress ... thank you for passing by and for the compliment , though I don't have a photo yet. I have been a fan of your hair and love the way it reflects the light.

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2016, 10:23 AM
LongCurlyTress ... thank you for passing by and for the compliment , though I don't have a photo yet. I have been a fan of your hair and love the way it reflects the light.

Hi back and thank you so much!! I use a flash on my camera so with my hair brushed out (shhhhh! ;) and dried in a bun and a bit of Evoo spread on the length I can get this shine and smoothness and the flash really helps alot! tee hee! ;) I also wash my hair everyday but with very diluted sulfate free shampoo. Then the only way I can safely detangle is by using gobs of conditioner on each small section in the shower as I slowly detangle using my Madora #116 wide tooth comb from tips to scalp hairs. I go very slowly and use a ton of conditoner, but if I do it this way, then the shedding/breaking is at a minimum. Then I use a towel since the Turbie Twist does not soak up all the water anymore and my hair is too longfor it too. Then to get height, I take the towel off and bend forward putting my hair over my face slowly trying not to tangle my hair, and then I use a hairdryer on warm at my roots, pulling up the scalp hairs to give me some height. In the summer I will just let my hair hang down and dry while I go walk my dog, but it does seem to get alot more tangly this way then when I let it dry in a bun. 3b hair might be a bit less curly then 3c etc. but washing my hair everyday really does help to keep my curls in shape. Also, I really like that freshly washed scalp feeling.

ETA I use Kirkland Shampoo and conditioner from Costco. Both are sulfate free and allegedly the generic for Pureology! I love to detangle with this super thick conditioner!

Salwety
February 14th, 2016, 04:11 AM
Woooow ... these are realy helpful tips for taking a hair photo, and thanks for sharing your routine. What conditioners have you tried till now and what was the result of each?

curlychica702
February 19th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Omg my hair hates oils too makes it feel...crunchy!?!

curlychica702
February 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM
How about shrinkage? Im mostly 3c with some 3b and have the most uneven shinkage :( it's sad. I wanna wear a wash and go but it looks like my little brother chopped the back part off mwahaha :laugh: So i pretty much do braid outs (Which totally keeps my hair from getting tangled. That combined with rinsing hair 3-4 times a week and finger detangling helps alot with tangles :) .) Anyway fellow 3c people are there parts of your hair that shrinks up unevenly?

Salwety
February 19th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Hi curlychica ... it is perfectly normal to have a mixed textured hair. And when it comes to curly hair it is recommended to cut your hair when it is dry to avoid the uneven look. Some even recommended cutting it curl by curl. There are a lot of videos about it in youtube

fairylamb
July 13th, 2021, 04:36 AM
I have mainly 3c hair and some 4c bits in the back. Currently, my hair is mid-back length but sits at my shoulders(sometimes longer depending on how it dries) curly. I think it's easier to manage longer because my hair doesn't stick up after being in a pineapple at night haha. Something that I've been doing over the past few months that has really helped my hair is using a wide-tooth wooden comb. I make sure to oil it before detangling. It slides through my hair.

Hairkay
July 13th, 2021, 02:04 PM
How about shrinkage? Im mostly 3c with some 3b and have the most uneven shinkage :( it's sad. I wanna wear a wash and go but it looks like my little brother chopped the back part off mwahaha :laugh: So i pretty much do braid outs (Which totally keeps my hair from getting tangled. That combined with rinsing hair 3-4 times a week and finger detangling helps alot with tangles :) .) Anyway fellow 3c people are there parts of your hair that shrinks up unevenly?

I've got 3c and 4a. Bits do shrink up differently because the curls differ. My back is curlier than my middle/crown and there's some bits at the front and temples, wispies that curl up a lot too. The differenced annoyed me as a teen but now I'm fine with it. I do finger detangle most times but sometimes I use one of those wide tooth combs too. I keep mine plaited/braided 99% of the time.