PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been teased about your hair?

Ocelan
February 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I've read a some stories here about people who didn't dare have their hair the way they wanted because of teasing or who were forced to wear their hair in a certain cut in their childhood. What kind of stories do you have, how did the situation make you feel and how do you feel about your hair now?

I used to love unraveling the braids my mom made me in kindergarten to have my APL to BSL hair flow in the wind while playing outside or swinging in the swings. I'm sure my mom didn't appreciate it but it was my thing. I don't remember if this continued in the first grades at school, I would assume my hair was mostly in a ponytail in school, but when I started liking my hair down in 4th or 5th grade my "friends" who had started teasing me more about various things at this point anyway, they started calling me names when I wore my hair down. They said I looked like Jesus (we are not religious here and I hope this isn't offensive to some) or that I looked like a man when my hair was down. Same difference, I guess. I kept trying to wear my hair down because I liked it but all the negative comments quickly made me stop it alltogether.

I didn't wear my hair down in public more than once since age 11 or 12 until I was about 22. That's when I started forcing myself to do so. It felt weird having my hair in my face all the time but I got used to it. I hadn't heard the bad comments in ages but it took me so long to get rid of the idea that I was somehow ugly with my hair down. Now I'm fine with it and I think I look better with my hair down. The funny thing is that I'm back to wearing my hair up most of the time thanks to LHC but I do treat myself to wearing my hair down every now and then for a special occasion. :)

So that was my story. Please, share yours. :blossom:

Coolcombination
February 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Great idea for a thread! I've only ever been teased by my dad, he would say it was too thick. Apparently because it was too thick it meant that I was only allowed collarbone length hair and because it had tangles my dad had to "rip" a brush through it. My childhood hair is the same thickness now, 3" ! Thick my ass!

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry for you. Strange how people would say you'd look like a man when having long loose hair, I knew a guy from my high school who people mistook for a girl from behind because of his long hair.

When I was a kid I had really straight hair, and when I was arround 10 years old, it started to go curly, thing is, I did not know how to take care of curly hair, nor did my mom. So, I got a triangle head x.x And people udes to say my hair was ugly because I didn't take care of it and I tried back then many things to make it look good, but my lack of hair skills failed. And so I spend my 5th grade up to my 8th or even more wearing nothing but a laxy twist wrapped by a claw clip (I didn't know how to style hair either). And the fact that all my friends were straight haired didn't help, they also gave me bad advice, and I heard some people say my hair looked like a broom ;-; Although if it happened today, I'd tell them to **** off.

panffle
February 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Yes, I have. My natural hair is black and straight, so when I was about 13 years old and had ~hip length hair, other kids would say I looked like the girl from The Ring movie. It made me so upset that I cut my hair to shoulder a couple of months later... And to be honest, to this day I hate my natural hair color.

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Yes. I have very thick hair and didn't know how to take care of curls. "Bushy" "Wild" "You need to control it""need to straighten" etc. etc. Even hairdressers used to make fun of it ( #1reason I don't go to a hairdresser).

DarkCurls
February 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Sometimes I hate people.
Or, well, a lot of the time, really.

I'm sorry that happened to you but it's great that now you don't care.

I can't say I've ever really been teased, though I've suffered nasty comments and complete strangers "boinging" my curls behind my back -- which, let me tell you, completely creeped me out and is probably a major part of the reason why I'm uncomfortable with people touching my hair now. I don't think I was ever called names.

EDIT: Those nasty comments? Some of them were rather original and downright cruel, but most of them were along the lines of what the previous poster said.

Syaoransbear
February 28th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I used to have wavy blonde classic length hair when I was young. People would make fun of me for it, saying it was ugly, scraggly, and too long. But I didn't care because my dream was to grow it to my feet. Then one day my bully came up behind me with big kitchen scissors and cut half of it off to the bottom of my neck the day I was supposed to go to a boy's birthday party because she wanted me to look bad, and I had to cut off the other side to match it. She would have cut more if I hadn't heard the cutting noises.

leslissocool
February 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have oily hair, back when I was a kid they told me to use this type of shampoo that dried my hair out, used daily my hair turned even MORE oily. I got constantly teased and got told I could make money bottling oil my hair was so nasty (it sounded worse in the native language). Not by other kids at school, but my own family. Once my grandmother told me to dilute the shampoo with water to see if it dried my hair less (I was not allowed to use conditioner, they said my hair was too greasy) and when we sat down for dinner and everyone started to dig in me about how particularly grease my hair looked, I told them it felt dry and I just washed it that day with diluted shampoo and EVERYONE started to say that it wasn't clean, that I was so nasty ect ect. My grandmother was there, didn't even tell them she was the one who told me to do so. I was 10.

My hair when I grew up was always a battle. It wasn't until I moved in with my mother that I started to use conditioner, then by the time I got pregnant and had the bleach disaster I finally learned to care for it. My mother's reaction to that story was : "Who the hell doesn't use conditioner?!" but my family had pixie cuts and very short hair, I was the only one with long hair. I don't even know how I learned to braid I think a friend taught me in elementary on dolls. No one ever did my hair, it was either short or I had braided it myself.

The irony was that most of my classmates loved my hair long, and I used to get teased every time I had it cut. I think mostly because I hated it so much and they could see me very unhappy. Oh and that side of the family now has shoulder length hair, because you know it's "in fashion" and through the vineyard I heard that they couldn't believe how gorgeous my hair is :justy:.So ridiculous, I don't even wash my hair daily more like weekly now and I use a ton of conditioners and oils.

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Wow Syaoransbear, that's awful :hug: I don't know how I would have reacted to that (probably cry a lot...)

scorpio17910
February 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I've been there. I used to have this really short cut, and because of my hair texture, it flipped under in the front and out in the back. I'm STILL reminded of the "Duck cut" as it came to be called. And what was worse was it was my friends that made up that name and still laugh about it. Honestly, when I look back at pictures, it wasn't that bad, and I did kinda look cute with short hair, but that teasing hurt!! This is why I will NEVER have short hair again, ever. (Well, that and I ADORE buns!)

:grouphug: :flowers:

katiebeans
February 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Oh, I'm sorry you were teased. I feel your pain though :grouphug: When I was young I was teased for my wavy hair, especially if it got frizzy after it rained. Apparantly the girls in my school only found straight hair acceptable. Go figure.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 06:58 PM
People are intentionally cruel.

Falcore
February 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Syaoransbear, that is unbelievably cruel and shocking. :(

iluvlovelylocks
February 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, I have been teased about my hair twice.
Both times were the day I dyed my hair black. (My natural color is chocolate brown, mind you).
First, my social studies teacher told me I looked like Morticia from The Addams Family that day.
Then a so-called "friend" of mine said behind my back that I looked like Amy Winehouse! :mad: The Amy Winehouse thing really hurt my feelings because I look nothing like her. I confronted my friend about it and she apologized.
Needless to say, I never have and never will dye my hair black again.

legendya
March 1st, 2013, 03:10 AM
Nope. Nobody says anything about my hair except when it was straightened.

DancingQueen
March 1st, 2013, 04:14 AM
I have always had crazy, frizzy hair, and I didn't know how to take care of it. (noone ever told me you don't brush curly hair). Once, I was told by a classmate I had witch hair.

QMacrocarpa
March 1st, 2013, 06:02 AM
Mostly I'm thinking of the sort of teasing I kind of enjoyed, like my grandfather noticing that my (teen) hair was longer on one side than the other and humorously remarking that I probably put compost on that side and that's what made it grow more! :bigtongue: Or one of my best friends in high school sitting behind me in class boinging one of my curls occasionally, or hanging a few pencils in my hair in a totally non-hostile, playful way (her longer hair was stick-straight). Less enjoyable(!) was the time a less-close friend flicked burdock burrs into it on a hike.

As a young teen I got my hair cut quite short (big mistake!) and then spent what seems like years being asked by strangers on the city bus whether I was a boy or a girl (in spite of my giant '80's earrings). Not teasing really, but it did make me feel bad (and it also made me wonder why it was their business! I think one time I just answered "Yes.") I think the super-short cut was me trying (successfully, as it turned out) to seize control of my hair-length from my mother, who had always cut my hair up until then, and whose idea of a "trim" was "I'm cutting it as short as I cut it last time." As with many previous posters, I think part of our trouble was that my hair was curlier than hers, and we did not know how to deal with it successfully (also, she grew up in a short-hair era and to her "short" has always been the right length). My much-missed ex-SIL clued me in to conditioner and braiding when I was further into my teens, and that helped a lot.

Ocelan
March 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Thank you for your stories! I hope this cookie will make you feel better. :cookie:

Yes, people really are cruel! Nobody should ever complain about someone elses appearance in any way, especially since the comments usually are not constructive critisism but downright evil remarks. I feel bad for everyone who has had to suffer things like this but maybe here you can find people who have gone through the same and you can see that the people really didn't know what they were saying.

I especially feel bad for those who have had their hair cut unwillingly! :mad: I am not a vengeful person but I hope that schoolgirl who snipped off hair just because she was a jealous jerk got serious consequenses from it and lost all her hair for life.

Vijikanth
March 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
Since I'm a guy...its an every day story. I'm into software and long hair has not been an issue luckily. But whenever some topic starts with friends, some how it ends with my hair... Most of the comments would be that hair is feminine thing. Mostly people ask why not cut it and go for a change, since its been 3 years since I had cut it. Some times hair is associated with villains(bad guys) even though my face does not have any of the features. But I have to admit that equally I have started getting good comments too from the same people who had teased so much during my initial stage.

Latte Lady
March 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM
I'm lucky that I've never had much teasing. I remember when I was five someone called me carrot top. Even then I thought that was a dumb thing to say. Carrot tops are green. I was confused more then anything.
In one of my junior high schools (Army brat) people called me a witch. This was probably because I was the only redheaded, ghostly white girl in a mostly Hispanic school. This was a pretty rough school with lots a gang activity so I was pleased with anything that made people leave me alone. I also kinda thought that looking like a witch was sorta cool. Luckily, in this school, I made two good friends.
I've never had any other sort of teasing because of my hair. I remember stating that I stood out like a sore thumb in my family since everyone has brown hair. One or two blonds. My Dad told me that I stood out like a 'rose among weeds'. I've remembered that all my childhood and it helped me passed my ugly duckling stage.

kaydana
March 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Yes, but not because of the length. I got teased because I styled my hair so that my very heavily layered APL hair stuck up in spikes (think sonic the hedgehog and you'll get some idea of how it looked). I got teased a lot for that, but I also got so many compliments on it (even some from total strangers) that the teasing didn't really bother me.

starlamelissa
March 1st, 2013, 07:14 PM
I have thick wavy hair that I have never really known what to do with.... My mom took me to the hairdresser and inevetably they would use thinning shears on it to make it manageable. Nothing too drastic there.

However during my formative years I lived with my father, a thousand miles from my mom.

When I lived with my dad he was opposed to conditioner and detangler. Oh, and treating an epic case of lice I had in middle school. So I had untreated headlice for a year. That caused some teasing from my classmates.

Shudder. I remember pouring straight bleach on my scalp in attempt to stop the bugs and itching. I stood in front of the mirror with a fine tooth comb, yanking out hair till the damn unbreakable comb broke.

PraiseCheeses
March 1st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Not excessively - there was plenty of fodder for teasing by my peers (usually my clothes); they didn't need to resort to hair comments. :lol:

There was one particular softball game in junior high though.... I had straightened my hair as always after the previous wash, and midway through the game, we were caught in a brief downpour. My ponytail sproinged up to about half its length and twice its width, and the rest of my hair was matted against my head, flat as could be. To make matters worse, the hair in the ponytail was mostly my pre-pubescent white-blonde, and above the hairtie was my present ash color, made super dark by the water. I remember hearing hushed comments from the opposing dugout like "What is up with that pitcher's hair?" "Doesn't she have the weirdest hair?" "I thought my hair was bad - I'm so glad it's not like hers!"

spirals
March 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM
I got called mophead in junior high. They said you could turn me upside-down and mop the floor.

long&blonde
March 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
When I was dying my hair myself at least every Friday night,
A coworker used to tease me to stop it, he was an old man, his heart couldn't take the shock of my new hair color every Monday.
The dollar store ketchup red that was supposed to be temporary, but clung to my at that time,platinum, that got me a whole lot of teasing feedback. I ended up not caring, I thought it made my eyes look bluer. My hair's gotten me far more pleasant feedback than negative.
Except from hairdressers.

Celtic Morla
March 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
I used to be called Rapunzel as a kid but it didn't bother me. I think what bothered me th emost was the fuss my sister would make about my hair but I know now she was just a jealous cow. I love my hair long and noone can make me fele bad about it, grey, long and half wave half striaght!

trolleypup
March 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Not excessively - there was plenty of fodder for teasing by my peers ...; they didn't need to resort to hair comments.
Mostly this. I got so much teasing and abuse from the local barbarians that hair didn't even get on the radar. By the time they started in on the hair in my mid/late teens, I already knew they were barbarians and thus insignificant.

Later, very occasional teasing/negative comments that were ignored or dealt with in a rough and ready way...I remember telling a tourist on my streetcar to get off if he didn't like my hair.

Swissmiss2584
March 2nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
when I was in elementary school the bowl cut hairstyle was popular so I had my long hair cut into a bowl cut and then others would call me a boy. I couldn't wait for my hair to grow back long again.

yoni
March 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Well since I'm a guy the answer is quite obvious haha, but it was when i started growing, now that it's long there are barley any comments and even then most of them are positive :)

EndlessSunshine
March 2nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
I sometimes scare small children if I brush out my hair then leave it down when it is humid. J/K...

natural_shine
March 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Just during my childhood, by my grandmother. She is also the one that forced me to wear short hair all my childhood. I mean short like a boy, half a inch pixie, not even a bob. I have more frustrations than I can tell about that.

Anyway, she used to tell me I have tangly cat-like hair, too thin and ugly to keep long, and that if I would grow long I wouldn't brush it and/or take care of it. Of course, there was no way she could know that since she never let me grow it.
And when it grew a tiny bit, she used to tell me I look shameful and ungroomed. Told me this obsessively, wouldn t even let me go out of the yard when she suddenly considered that I need to have my hair chopped off again.

I was often confused to a boy in kindergarten and first years of school. I hated the situation so much/

The "cutting scene" was a lot like a horror movie, I confess if I'd see a kid tormented like that I'd do something to make the crazy lady stop.

Now I feel like I wanna whip my hair in her face everytime I see her.

ghost
March 2nd, 2013, 04:55 PM
I've never been teased for my hair. For just about everything else, sure, but never my hair. I did have one girl wayyyy back in preschool who stopped being friends with me after my mom cut my hair from waist to a chin-length bob, but that's not exactly teasing.

sisi33
March 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
I sometimes scare small children if I brush out my hair then leave it down when it is humid. J/K...

You may be J/K, but I'm not... >->

Natalia
March 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Anytime hair comes up with my family i get teasing/bashing so i generally keep my mouth shut. Its rare i wear it down but thats equally due to it being in the way as it is the teasing and i HATE people running up and touching my hair. I think of hair as my thing. Kind of the same way only peoples significant someone seeing them naked my hair is just for me and the few special people in my life to see an im ok with that. Its my treasure and i dont have to share if i dont wanna :p ! When i do want to wear it down i weigh out ho much crap im willing to take for it and if its worth it.

So yes the teasing has affected my behavior but i feel that ive dealt with it ok in that i didnt change much of what i do because of it. I wore down more in the bsl - waist range because it easy to keep to of the way but once you can sit on it it gets much less conveinient. After that keeping it up was practical in more ways than one.

Synnovea
March 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
When I was in high school, and heavily into my goth days, I had long black hair which earned me the name Morticia, but I didn't mind.

EndlessSunshine
March 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
When I was in high school, and heavily into my goth days, I had long black hair which earned me the name Morticia, but I didn't mind.
I used to get Wednesday Adams lol

Lostsoule77
March 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
Most of my life I think. The majority of it was good natured, or at least that's how I recall it. I recall my mom talking about a rat's nest, but I think that was when I was refusing to let her brush my hair. In middle school I was teased because I was one of maybe 3 girls with "long" hair. It was about BSL. Most of the girls had between a bob and just below SL. In my 6th grade year book one girl actually ended her comment with "and cut that hair!" Even drew a stick figure with hair past her feet. When I first started living with DH he said my hair was like an anemone, among other things. I was using just a 2-n-1 and my hair liked to cling to things. Plus it was frizzy because I was brushing my 2b/c hair.

The only harmful teasing has come from my aunt. I wouldn't call it teasing either. She is a very critical woman who has had SL or shorter hair her whole life. My cousin too. She has been harping on me for years to cut my hair off. Apparently didn't like the color either. I went with her to get my first, and only, highlights done. I wanted red, but she insisted on blond. She was paying and my sister and the hairdresser agreed. I'm not the best at coloring or fashion, so I agreed to get blond. She then asked what I was going to get as my base color. That I didn't do, no matter how hard she pushed. After the cut (my first professional and too short for my liking) and highlights were done she then commented on how nice the color was & that she wouldn't have thought it. Gee thanks. At my wedding she couldn't believe how nice my hair looked. I had a style that couldn't have been done if my hair wasn't my length. ;)

Syaoransbear That is horrible! I hope she got what she deserved for that!

Syaoransbear
March 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Syaoransbear That is horrible! I hope she got what she deserved for that!

Unfortunately she didn't. She continued on with her spoiled life, never having any hardships at all, and the real kicker is that now this psycho is working towards a psychology degree.

iluvlovelylocks
March 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
If you go back to page 2 of this thread, you'll see that I got called Morticia as well. I was quite offended! the teacher that called me Morticia thinks that shes beautiful, but no offense, I don't.

cobden 28
March 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM
Not teased as such, but back in the late 70's/early '80's when i rode a motorbike I had my hair cut short & layered like a little boy's, for convenience, because havig to wear a crash hat made my hair go all sweaty & horrible and it was a drag having to wash & dry shoulder-length hair on a daily basis. Especially when I wore jeans and a lumberjack check shirt I was often mistaken for a man :( .

Now my hair is to waist, the only teasing I get is from my husband when I have my hair up in a bun and he calls me 'Granny' (says a bun makes me look old) or 'hedgehog-head' beacuse of the hair pins I use.

Sagi1982
March 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yes. I was teased with my pixie ("you look like a man/lesbian (I'm not, but whats wrong with that? And how do lesbians look? :confused:)" or "it's so incredible unfeminine" or "it's ugly!!!"), and so I am now with just 1 or 2 inches to classic length... "Its boring" (WTF?!?!), "you're too old to have long hair" (I'm 31 btw), "your hair is gross and ugly, I hate it!" (poor you, eh? :p)... :horse:

I also get teased about the color(s) - "You're way too old for turqoise and violet/green and pink/blue and red hair", "the black makes you look pale" (whats wrong? I look terrible with fake tans), "its too long to be THIS colorful :justy:!!!"

All I have to say about all these comments is its mine, and I like it!

SerinaDaith
March 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
My mother would keep my hair in what was called by my cousins the "prince valiant" style. Very straight bangs and mid neck for the rest. She would curl it for church and could never braid (still can't as far as I know). I hated it I wanted longer hair like all the girls in the fairy tails. I was about eight when I put my foot down by throwing one of my very few fits ever in public no less. We were at the salon and I started screaming and crying. My mother was mortified. The hair dresser actually sided with me which pretty much ended my mother's reign over my locks. Since then I have hit BSL several times then chopped up to A line bobs. I have dyed my hair, bleached it and gone for just about every natural color (and some not so natural). I have always known that I want loooooong silver hair so my goals now are to grow grow grow and I have quit the dye habit for just over a year now. I get flack for my white/silver hairs but at this age I have learned not to give a flying horses patootie what people think of me. I wish I had learned this a lot earlier in life. My DH likes short hair, I informed him that I wasn't growing for him. I do not force my kids to get hair cuts, not even my littlest who turned two today. If she wants a cut fine, if she doesn't fine, if she wants her hair up fine but most of the time I just finger comb her out through out the day and she goes "shaggy". My eleven year old has a faux hawk which is growing, he doesn't put it up often but as long as he takes care of his hair he can do what ever he wants. My three year old boy has shoulder length hair and he likes bangs, he let's me cut his bangs when it get's into his eyes and he likes the occasional "puppy tail' but most days we just finger comb him to. My husband's hair color changes with his mood and he has gone from shoulder length to bald to shaggy.

We play a lot with our hair, we have fun with it, that's what it is for right? That and with my DH I can play with dye without touching my own tresses :)

Let haters hate, our heads are not for them. :P

Atira
March 3rd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Sure. My mom brushed my curly hair for years resulting in frizzy triangle head until high school when I figured out not to do thta, lol. So I got teased for that. kids are so mean. Glad we are homeschooling our kids.

browneyedsusan
March 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM
mild thread hijack:
misread title: "Have you ever teased out your hair?" --why yes! Yes, I have! I'd never get the Victory Rolls to stay otherwise!
end of hijack

:)

Savvyhorsez
March 6th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I get teased ALL the time, almost EVERY day, I've just learned to laugh with them, then brush it off.

T-Red
February 15th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Yep, in my school days was teased for having red hair, wavy hair, hair that would mess up in a 1 mph breeze and stay that way, and anything else you could possibly think of. Got in a lot of fights during school, then cut off my hair for about 20 years. Now i'm growing it and still get teased, but not nearly as much. (and I have matured, so I handle it better). it taught me a lot about being a freedom advocate - let people do what they want if it ain't hurting anybody else.

YamaMaya
February 15th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Yes, I have. My natural hair is black and straight, so when I was about 13 years old and had ~hip length hair, other kids would say I looked like the girl from The Ring movie. It made me so upset that I cut my hair to shoulder a couple of months later... And to be honest, to this day I hate my natural hair color.
I honestly wouldn't mind being called "Ring girl", but I'm a huge fan of the Ring series, so if someone said I looked like Sadako I'd probably just take it as a compliment :p. In fact, I'd rather be called that than what I DID get called. I had really frizzy hair in high school which I kept long, and I also had glasses and was going through an awkward stage and my nose was growing a bit faster than the rest of my face, so I was dubbed "Howard Stern" by some boys in my year.

Leafy
February 15th, 2014, 04:32 PM
When I was a very young child - about 6-7 years old, I still lived with my older brother and our birth mum who had a very, very horrible and abusive boyfriend - some guy who happened to have come out of the blue one day to me and I found him casually sitting about in the living room. He never left.

My somewhat traumatic experience aside from all the abuse me and my brother suffered (sadly), was one day I got pinned down on top of the massive box freezer and had my whole head shaved off. All the crying, screaming and trying to get out only to get hit and told to shut up. It was really scary to me.
I went to school with a kind of baseball cap on, giving me the feeling of hiding my lack of hair (though I knew everyone would see it, but I had hardly anything at that age). I've been bullyed for being a quiet, 'different' girl since nursery and the bullying only got worse and kept at its horrible level until I've finally come out of school at 18. It all started off with my hat constantly being stolen and me learning to run fast enough to wrestle it back off them. I ended up growing up keeping to myself mainly with very few friends on and off. I don't really understand why people would even waste their time being horrible to anyone when they can just mind their own business, but it's unfortunately given me a bad take on life and the world we live in.

Years went by where I didn't have my hair cut because I was absolutely terrified of anything that would take my hair off - clippers were the worst as I never liked loud noises when I was little, and were the very thing that robbed my hair from me. It's taken a long time to calm down about my childhood, the abuse, and hair (which was a big thing to me, considering I had nothing), Only until I was doing A levels at college and made friends with a girl doing a hairdressing course (after a few years of googling emo and scene hair), did I decide to go back to truly enjoying hair again. That girl turned my life around by steering me in what I feel is a brilliant direction, and I had the guts to stick up to my own current parents to do what I want to do with my life. (They didn't approve as they thought is was an impulse decision, but hair has been a big part of me since I was a child, so no).

I'm now a lot happier now I live with my boyfriend and am training towards an NVQ Level 2 - I'm hoping to finish by June or July maybe, but I might have to stay until November, as I've been doing my best to look for a part-time job.

Sadly, again, that's another thing that's giving me a big finger in the face. :( But all I can do is keep at what is really and truly me, and not let anyone else bring me down.

This is why I love LHC and everyone here who shares this same passion! :)

AmberlynAsh
February 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
:(I've had this exact comment or I use to get called mortica from the Adam's Family (probably because I'm pale. I've got teased way more for being pale then my hair). I use to dye my hair black..not anymore switched to dark brown a long time ago...now I'm trying to grow natural (which I have a feeling is like a tawny color :/) I would love naturally black hair that would be awesome. I bet your hair looks sooo shiny consider yourself blessed!

Lorzi
February 15th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I have a lot of insecurities about my hair! It's my biggest insecurity and I always seem to battle with it. Anyway, at my high school all the girls have extremely long hair. No bangs, no layers, all one length and around BSL - WL, with few exceptions. Because I gave myself a horrible "Asian mullet" last year, I've been growing out a ton of layers ever since and now have hair that is BSB. Because I don't have hair as long as the other girls I get teased for not having prettier, longer hair. When I get haircuts and it's a few inches shorter, they say "its so short!" and "where did it all go?" really makes me feel lesser! Also, a lot of my friends are Asian and have super long, shiny, thick hair. I, on the other hand, have thinner, finer, and drier hair than them and when they play with my hair, they say "you have no hair!" and "your hair is so thin!" It really wears down my confidence! I always struggle with how thin my hair appears (to me, anyway) and it really gets me down. I'm trying to find ways to love my hair as it is but I can't seem to do it! Anyway, that's my story.

YamaMaya
February 16th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I have a lot of insecurities about my hair! It's my biggest insecurity and I always seem to battle with it. Anyway, at my high school all the girls have extremely long hair. No bangs, no layers, all one length and around BSL - WL, with few exceptions. Because I gave myself a horrible "Asian mullet" last year, I've been growing out a ton of layers ever since and now have hair that is BSB. Because I don't have hair as long as the other girls I get teased for not having prettier, longer hair. When I get haircuts and it's a few inches shorter, they say "its so short!" and "where did it all go?" really makes me feel lesser! Also, a lot of my friends are Asian and have super long, shiny, thick hair. I, on the other hand, have thinner, finer, and drier hair than them and when they play with my hair, they say "you have no hair!" and "your hair is so thin!" It really wears down my confidence! I always struggle with how thin my hair appears (to me, anyway) and it really gets me down. I'm trying to find ways to love my hair as it is but I can't seem to do it! Anyway, that's my story.

Tell them you're not there to decorate their world, and if they don't like it they can get stuffed.

see_turtle
February 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM
My college friends are incredibly judgmental and shallow. They have called my hair "frizzy", "Jewish", "scraggly" etc etc. (I am half Jewish)...I ignore them (or try to) and chalk it up to this simple truth: haters gonna hate.

mrs_coffee
February 16th, 2014, 10:24 AM
As an adult? No.

As a child, my mom made me wear my hair super short and people used to say I looked like a boy. I am Jewish with coarse, kinky Jewish-girl hair, adopted by Gentiles who all had straight fine textured hair. My mom had no idea how to take care of my hair, so she just hacked it off and made me keep it like that. A black friend in high school introduced me to shea butter, and my life has never been the same.

ywall
February 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I was teased for years when growing up about my hair. People would say it looks super thin when I would try to grow it out and they would say it looked like a rats tail. It would make me very sad because I have always wanted long hair. My little sis is at tbl and it looks beutiful! It just seems that every time I have tryed to grow it out I start to hear the coments about how thin it looks, or that I should cut it really short because it would look thicker. A year ago I had a short a line hair cut and my husband convinced me to grow it out because thats what I wanted so I have been letting it grow. Didnt cut it for a year until February, then i cut 2 inches off to try to slowly get rid of my blond highlights on the upper layer of my hair only. Then I yold myself next year I will cut again. I have been brading my hair at night and most of the day. I just switched to sls free cone free products and began co- washing and I use henna for coloring the evil greys:hatchet: and I also started taking msm for my hair all thanks to the LHC! I just found u this year and im sooo happy to be here

evalina
February 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
During my entire school time I was bullied for my hair colour, it hit the top on a class trip in high school. Class mates tried to dye my hair blonde during the night. Lucky me I woke up fast enough from the smell to avoid further damage.

lapushka
February 16th, 2014, 10:47 AM
No, not once. Not as a child (classic length), and not even as a teen with my fluffy wavy (no I have straight!) hair. There were no straighteners in my time, only the crimpers were on the market, and so I always crimped my fluffy hair. It was a cute style and people admired me for it (it looked good back then).

endlessly
February 16th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Before I started covering my hair, I had to suffer through a lot of teasing mostly since my length of hair (hip at the time) was a rarity in my community. I received a lot of the "negative compliments" as I call them - "Your hair looks really nice, but it would look better if it was shorter", "You should wear it up more, it would look prettier if people didn't have to see how long it was." etc... There were also a lot of "hints" that I needed to get it cut or I because I had long hair I "absolutely HAD to donate it to someone with cancer" or else I was a terrible person. Listen, I can give credit to the people willing to donate their hair, but it just isn't for me!

Then, there were the threats and in all honesty, that's one of the reasons I choose to wear a hair covering now. Threats such as:

"The next time I see you with your hair down, I'm going to cut it all off and you'll be just like everyone else."

"I hate when you braid your hair, it's too long and I want to shave it off."

"What would you do if I cut off all your hair right now?"

"Long hair makes you look really ugly and old, I should cut it off."

And sadly, those are just a few that come to memory, there are plenty more! Covering my hair has not only protected me from these insults, but basically is the only way I can avoid having all of the focus be on my hair. Right now, it sits just an inch shy of classic and since no one has seen it down in months, I no longer receive any of the nasty barbs I had gotten in the past.

YamaMaya
February 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Before I started covering my hair, I had to suffer through a lot of teasing mostly since my length of hair (hip at the time) was a rarity in my community. I received a lot of the "negative compliments" as I call them - "Your hair looks really nice, but it would look better if it was shorter", "You should wear it up more, it would look prettier if people didn't have to see how long it was." etc... There were also a lot of "hints" that I needed to get it cut or I because I had long hair I "absolutely HAD to donate it to someone with cancer" or else I was a terrible person. Listen, I can give credit to the people willing to donate their hair, but it just isn't for me!

Then, there were the threats and in all honesty, that's one of the reasons I choose to wear a hair covering now. Threats such as:

"The next time I see you with your hair down, I'm going to cut it all off and you'll be just like everyone else."

And sadly, those are just a few that come to memory, there are plenty more! Covering my hair has not only protected me from these insults, but basically is the only way I can avoid having all of the focus be on my hair. Right now, it sits just an inch shy of classic and since no one has seen it down in months, I no longer receive any of the nasty barbs I had gotten in the past.

:grouphug: Insults are one thing, those are easy to ignore, but threats are unacceptable. So sorry you have to cover your hair just to avoid the threat of assault just for having long hair. Those people are clearly jealous because your long hair is enviable to them. If you encounter such people, stand up for you and your choice of appearence, call them out on their jealousy and threaten to press charges if they come near you with scissors.

EmmAutumn
February 16th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I've never been teased about my hair, but when i was little people always mistook me for a boy.
Honestly, i can't blame them! If you see a random 5yo running around in boys' clothes with boys' hair (=short) it's usually safe to assume it's a boy.
10 years later my younger brother had the problem of being mistaken for a girl because he had long (BSL) hair and a 'girly' face.
I'm so glad that our parents always let us do what we wanted with our hair and style of clothes and just told us the 'don't let people get in your way, your hair is none of their business' thing.

veryhairyfairy
February 17th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Some of these stories make me feel so sad for you guys! :grouphug:

I feel lucky that I didn't go to school for most of my life, so I had very little social interaction while I was growing up. I'm in the same camp as those who've said they had many other things to be picked on for. Super duper poor, kinda chubby, an incredible know-it all, and ALWAYS the new kid. Hair was the last thing on the list of reasons to be awful to me.

That being said, when I was 5-6 I had first a rainbow mohawk, and then a buzzcut, and I cannot BELIEVE how many people (children and adults alike) would ask me on a daily basis what gender I was! Why is that any of your business, adult person that I don't know?!?!

Chiquita Banana
February 17th, 2014, 07:49 AM
The only time I was teased about my hair was as a little child (elementary aged) when my mom made me wear it super short. Others thought I was a boy. And my hair did look quite bad. Once I convinced her to let me wear it long, I was no longer teased about it or mistaken to be a boy!

On a side note, people can often be cruel in their comments about hair or looks or clothing or whatever and oftentimes it's because they just don't have a filter on their mouths or haven't been taught proper manners. Things like that make me sad. And I'm sorry to any of you who fell victim to such stupid comments.

MeAndTheMaz
February 17th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I can't say that I ever got teased for my hair (maybe I'm just blocking :ponder:)

I had an uncle that generically didn't think boys should have long hair, but nothing directed at me.

I wonder how many of us have grown out our hair as a giant eff you to the world. I always hated getting hair cuts as a kid, and have had "long" hair ever since I had control over it.

cat11
February 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I have thick curly hair that was a lot curlier when I was little and even though most adults complimented me I definitely had it called a rats nest by kids when I was young and I wore it back in a ponytail for like 3 years straight to avoid this. I was totally convinced I just "had" messy hair. I really didn't know how to take care of it and tame it.

alexis917
February 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah! I live in an area with very little people who have my hair type (1c) and whenever girls touch my hair, I get a lot of "whoa, why don't you get layers?"
Plus I'm in HS, so heat styling is cool, and I never do it. :p

tlover
February 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
The only thing I can remember about my hair was in 7 and 8 grade my Three "friends" used to teas me that I wore my hair the same every day (down, somewere between midback and waist)

I got teased about alot of other things though.

Indigo Girl
February 17th, 2014, 11:14 AM
In elementary school I got teased a lot because of my natural hair color.

It's always been a tawny color, so I never fell firmly into either the blonde or brunette camp. As a kid, I also had streaks of natural highlights that were various shades of brown/blonde/strawberry-blond/tawny-ish. So all of the boys used to make fun of me, asking me if I could actually come up with a name for my hair color, that it would take a scientist to figure out a name for my hair color, and then they started calling me Rainbow Brite. Every day. :rolleyes:

I suppose there are worse things to be called, but in elementary school it was really annoying.

As an adult I get comments that it's too fine/thin to grow out, but even those are few and far in between because my hair is up 100% of the time now. Additionally, as an adult I don't care what people say. :shrug:

Brattina88
February 17th, 2014, 12:01 PM
The only teasing I can remember a lot is mostly color. But, it wasn't just my hair it was the red hair / freckles / pale skin cracks. I was called Pizza face occasionally, Pippi Longstocking a lot, Eliza Thornberry a couple of times (I also liked animals, didn't mind that one too much), Carrot-Top, and Freckled Face Cartoon. :(
My hair isn't straight or wavy, it always had these weird "flippies" and I hated them, got teased about them. And I washed it every single day, luckily I liked/used a lot of conditioner, but it did tend to get frizzy. I got teased for my short hair in elementary school ie. you look like a boy, etc. When I was a freshman a boy stuck gum in my hair... I didn't notice it until a couple periods later, and then I pulled out what I could and left the rest until I got home. I hid it from my Mom and tried to save as much as I could, but I cut out most of it. I remember crying as I cut it out. Not really because I loved my hair that much (I pretty much hated it at that point) but because I couldn't understand what I did, or what I was so hated in school.

Luckily I got out of there and into a JVS for Early Childhood Education. I often wonder what would've happened if I'd stayed, as I was already cutting because of everything (emotional) going on.
We were a small, close group of 15 girls and one guy, and I didn't get teased much after that, thats where I made close friends and I feel like I finally excelled.

But, now I love my red hair and I'm learning to love myself more, so its all good. :)

RainbowBowser
February 17th, 2014, 12:32 PM
"Teasing" isn't quite the right word, more like rude comments that prevent my hair goals. When I was in third grade we had a "wacky hair day" where we could do ridiculous hair styles. My mom did a wacky hair style for my hair, but then on another day when I wore a "non wacky" version this one guy in my class tried to tattle to the teacher that my hair was wacky, wtf.
And more recently a douchebag who I no longer associate with told me how much better I look with my hair down, basically telling me not to wear buns in my hair.
I pretty much have a fear of wearing my hair up in public which I am currently trying to face. Partly by purposely wearing buns now because people can't tell me how to wear my hair.

Valkyriejae
February 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM
My mom always used to tell me my hair looked "scraggly" if was below shoulders, and that if I didn't comb it I "looked like a homeless child." Then when she cut it off into a mushroom cut in gr2, kids started teasing and calling me a boy... So, I started growing my hair out, but then I had the scraggly comments again. Whatever though, I like my hair xD

Night_Kitten
February 17th, 2014, 03:01 PM

And sadly, those are just a few that come to memory, there are plenty more!

WOW :agape: I can't believe adult people would THREATEN another adult person with physical assault just because that other person doesn't look like them... That's just insane! :mad:
What exactly goes on in their crooked minds that makes them think it's somehow OK or acceptable to threaten another person? They definitely have some serious problems... :disgust: I'd stay far far away from such people, that's definitely not the kind of people to be around... :run:

patienceneeded
February 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Can't remember ever getting teased or picked on due to my hair. Other things, sure. Hair? Not so much. Maybe a bit in 7th grade when I had a weird mullet-y thing going on instead of the standard late-80's mall-hair look. I did (finally) get the mall-hair I wanted in 8th grade - right in time for it to stop being on-trend. =]

curiouslight
February 17th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I used to get so much crap for having really thick Hermione-style hair. It really didn't help when I tried following the whole "crimping" trend. It figures that messy hair is in style now... I have since found a routine that really works for my hair type and now it behaves really well and looks so much healthier and shinier! I see pictures of girls who were in my class who have to wear tons of extensions and have no eyebrows to speak of, so I think I came out on top hair-wise.

katiebeans
February 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Around the time I was in 6-7 grade, my hair was much wavier than it is now and with mousse I could get some nice curls out of it. I mostly wore my hair up, but one summer I discovered this whole mousse thing and I loved the way it made my hair look, and my parents and neighbors and such all told me how pretty it looked. Then I started school in the fall, excited about my pretty moused up hair and what not, and all the girls made fun of me. It didn't help that they previously made fun of me for everything else you could imagine. But apparently straight hair and flat irons were in and anything remotely not straight was frizzy and ugly. Though at that point I had learned to ignore it so I continued wearing my hair that way, because I liked it.

Middle school was awful!

hikarilu
February 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I remember being teased because my hair got greasy a few hours after washing it in junior school...The joys of puberty...
I guess it's another way of being "teased", I had a pixie for a few years and it made everyone think I liked girls... Frankly I didn't care until rumors started to spread everytime I made a new friend... Now, even if I don't have that problem anymore (though I suspect this event to be one of the causes i'm "super girly" now), I've learned to know who's too stupid and judgemental to be my friend :)

Flournoy
February 17th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Since I am a guy I definitely have. It probably peaked when I started wearing it in a ponytail. Figure that's when they realized I wanted long hair and wasn't just being lazy. But since then it has mostly died down other than the occasional long hair on guys type comments. Though they did speak up a bit when I started braiding my hair in public though not too bad. Change always gets people. I have a feeling that if I wore a different style out that would get similar reactions, but each time after stick it out a bit then it dies down because they get used to it.

blue_eyes
February 18th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I've had a couple instances, although it wasn't anything major. I had been dyeing my hair dark (nearly black, when I'm naturally a blonette) and my grandmother & parents would constantly criticize it for being too dark. My hair is also fairly thin, so I had an ex-boyfriend who would make really nasty comments about that.

When I was 13 I cut my APL hair into a cute bob, and a year later I wanted to go blonde...but the 'mean girls' of the school were all blonde and the last thing I wanted to do was draw attention to myself. I know that sounds stupid now, but I just wanted to fly under the radar & get through high school without any problems, so I dyed my hair red instead. To this day I am still kicking myself over it because I've always wanted light blonde hair, and to think I didn't go for it because I was afraid of being bullied REALLY bothers me. Lesson learned: never let anyone dictate what you decide to do with your own hair.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Kind of.

In grade school, it simply wasn't a priority to comb my hair before school. My mother was dysfunctional with depression, so she didn't make me comb it. When I'd get to school, some other girl would point out that I hadn't combed my hair and comb it for me. I enjoyed this a lot and continued not combing my hair when I got to middle school. That's when it got ugly. I wouldn't consider it teasing, more outright ridicule. But I asked for it, didn't I?

noludoru
February 18th, 2014, 11:50 AM
At work. Daily. By everyone including my managers.

Oh well!

HairFaerie
February 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM
During the 80s when everyone had the "big hair", I had very short hair with a long tail in the middle of my face going all the way down to my chin. I was very fond of it and even named it "scalpy" (short for scalp lock). However, it was often the subject of much indirect and sometimes direct teasing from the "popular girls". I was a punk pioneer and I wouldn't change a thing if I could go back in time! :)

milque
February 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Hugs for everyone who's been through crap because of their hair!!

I have big, coarse & wiry hair all through childhood and adolescence, so my hair had always been the main object of ridicule. I've been called a "cavewoman" and a "witch" a lot, and I have been likened to a "broom" on multiple occasions. Made me hate my hair for the longest time so I used to chemically and heat straighten it a lot, but recently I've sort of accepted it. In fact, I kind of like it now since I joined LHC. :)

spirals
February 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I don't remember if I posted before, but in junior high I was called "mophead". They said you could turn me upside-down and mop the floor with my hair. I don't think my feelings were even hurt, 'cause it was kind of funny.

spirals
February 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
A black friend in high school introduced me to shea butter, and my life has never been the same.That's how I feel about oiling and tangle-teezer-type brushes.

T-Red
February 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Since I am a guy I definitely have. It probably peaked when I started wearing it in a ponytail. Figure that's when they realized I wanted long hair and wasn't just being lazy. But since then it has mostly died down other than the occasional long hair on guys type comments. Though they did speak up a bit when I started braiding my hair in public though not too bad. Change always gets people. I have a feeling that if I wore a different style out that would get similar reactions, but each time after stick it out a bit then it dies down because they get used to it.

This for sure! And everybody has to make sure they speak their mind, never thinking that its about, oh, the 15th time I've heard some comment. Today.

MeowScat
February 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
My cousin used to call me "Spider Bangs" because my straight, limp bangs always separate and look like spider legs. Great.

She, also called me "Out In The Rain" since my hair is so limp and flat against my head. It reminded her of a drowned rat. What an ego boost.

tommyboy
February 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
In junior high and high school I got teased a bit when it first got long, but really not too bad especially since it was a mess and I liked to skateboard so it kinda fit. After that most of the people were just used to it or met me with long hair. And so far its not long enough to solicit any opinions from people who don't know me and if they do they know I'm growing it back so they don't care much either.

Dessi
February 26th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I haven't had any serious problems but every time I see my dad (which is rare, cuz we don't live in the same city) he tells me: ''Why don't you cut your hair, is too long'' and I'm like ''No, it's not long at all'' :D But when I was little he wanted me to have super short hair and my mother got mad at him because of this.

HumanBean
February 26th, 2014, 11:40 PM
In junior high I had a longish bob....with bangs. My hair is slightly wavy and to control the bob shape I straightened and curled the ends under.

The kids called me mushroom head.

Laura-Anne
February 27th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I've always had somewhat long hair. Growing up my older sister would tease me and frequently told me how "thin" and "scraggly" my hair looked. I think now that thin hair can be very pretty and it has a fairy/elven feel to it which thick hair cannot feel like. But of course the way she would tell me this was only to make me feel crap about myself. I'm not sure why she told me this... Maybe jealousy? Not sure *shrugs*.
She tells me now that were adults that my hair is pretty and not to wear it up so much. You just can't win I guess, lol. I grew up believing that my hair was super thin. It wasn't until I joined LHC that I realized my hair is actually more on the thick side and is 4" in circumference. I still have fears that my hair isn't thick enough and I'm afraid to wear it down because it might look scraggly. Which is ridiculous because I can't even do most buns because of its thickness... and I am past hip. It seems what people told me as a kid, no matter what it was I remember and believe to be true as an adult. What people tell me now I couldn't care less about.

michelle1000
February 27th, 2014, 09:15 AM
haven't we all been teased about our hair at one time or another When I was young mom kept my hair short I mean really short no hair more than an inch in length & curly Kids used to tease me all the time Finally started to let it grow long still got teased because it was curly Now I just think they were jealous cause I see those same ones getting perms and up in curlers I get the last laugh on them

michelle1000
February 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
You must live around a bunch of crazy people I get a lot of that I should donate my hair They must feel I don't deserve what I've got I register it as a back handed compliment - insult if they only knew the truth about some of these charities that take hair maybe they would scream

queenovnight
February 27th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I've definitely felt this pain.

When I was in middle school, girls would come up to me and say that I had fake hair, wore wigs, extensions. The weird thing, my hair wasn't even long.
It was only a little past BSL. I think it had more to do with my ethnicity though. Anyways, it got so bad that one day, I went home and.. I chopped my hair off.
I just got a pair of scissors and cut it all off. My mother was horrified, and so was my grandmother.. but it shut everyone up.

I can't say that I ever regretted it, but I did learn a valuable lesson..
If your happy with your hair, then that's all that matters.
Who cares what other people think!

michelle1000
February 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
because she attacked you you should have been allowed to give her a buzz cut and shave I guarantee she would have never tried anything like that again that was so mean
I used to have wavy blonde classic length hair when I was young. People would make fun of me for it, saying it was ugly, scraggly, and too long. But I didn't care because my dream was to grow it to my feet. Then one day my bully came up behind me with big kitchen scissors and cut half of it off to the bottom of my neck the day I was supposed to go to a boy's birthday party because she wanted me to look bad, and I had to cut off the other side to match it. She would have cut more if I hadn't heard the cutting noises.

Stormynights
February 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
When I was in school, I remember a girl that had beautiful thick long hair that she wore in a pony tail. She loved to walk in front of everyone and swish her hair in your face. That thing was a weapon. She would always act innocent, like it was an accident. I hated her long hair.

Jumper
February 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Actually I can't ever remember anyone teasing me for my hair...

They had so much more material to go on... My glasses, being fat, being a nerd, loving horses...

Most people have always told me my hair is pretty but bug me about "never doing anything with it."

LongHairLesbian
February 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
When I was in elementary school I was teased for having such white-ish, pre-pubescent blonde hair (I was told I looked like a banana the day I wore white pants and a yellow top to school). After my hair darkened up a bit, people started messing with my long hair. One boy in particular was always pretending to cut my hair, and even put tape in it once. :rolleyes: So annoying. I don't get negative comments now. Waist length hair isn't long enough to generate controversy were I live. :D

Vampyria
February 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM
When I was around 13 my hair started to curl, but the curls (around 3b) weren't well defined so I had a lot of frizz. I was called "big hair", "a lion" "a sheep" "a clown", people told me to brush it, cut it off, asking who my hairdresser was and if I got struck by lightning (behind my back, but loud enough for me to hear it). I spent 3 hours after washing trying to straighten it, and I only got more frizz if it was only slightly humid outside.

I was pretty hurt by it. Well I wasn't really offended by animal nicknames, since they were mostly diminutives used as terms of endearment by friends or at least friendly people.

MadeiraD
March 8th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I had really long hair until I was about 15 (knee length) and I remember getting some comments like "you could masturbate with it" from gross teenage boys, and just getting made fun of for my unwillingness to cut it.

After that I didn't really get teased about my hair, though my abusive ex boyfriend 17-19 made me keep my hair short (I will never have short hair again if I can help it because of him)

HazelBug
March 9th, 2014, 12:56 AM
If someone had done that to me I'd have wrestled the scissors from them and made their hair much worse. They would have had bald spots when I was done. Some people can be mean.

CremeTron
March 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM

What a nasty thing to do! So sorry that happened to you.. the power of jealousy... Hopefully you are back to where you want to be now? I originally only wanted APL but now I want the option of staying over one shoulder so I can move it when I have people behind me.

I don't have long hair and most of the ladies under 40 where I live have long hair even a lot of the school girls have waist length hair. So I doubt they care about any progress I make. But even with my puny APL I can't wear my hair out around family, they just say nasty things or make certain assumptions and I kind of get accused of showing off.

CremeTron
March 9th, 2014, 06:10 AM
When I was a very young child - about 6-7 years old, I still lived with my older brother and our birth mum who had a very, very horrible and abusive boyfriend - some guy who happened to have come out of the blue one day to me and I found him casually sitting about in the living room. He never left.

My somewhat traumatic experience aside from all the abuse me and my brother suffered (sadly), was one day I got pinned down on top of the massive box freezer and had my whole head shaved off. All the crying, screaming and trying to get out only to get hit and told to shut up. It was really scary to me.
I went to school with a kind of baseball cap on, giving me the feeling of hiding my lack of hair (though I knew everyone would see it, but I had hardly anything at that age). I've been bullyed for being a quiet, 'different' girl since nursery and the bullying only got worse and kept at its horrible level until I've finally come out of school at 18. It all started off with my hat constantly being stolen and me learning to run fast enough to wrestle it back off them. I ended up growing up keeping to myself mainly with very few friends on and off. I don't really understand why people would even waste their time being horrible to anyone when they can just mind their own business, but it's unfortunately given me a bad take on life and the world we live in.

Years went by where I didn't have my hair cut because I was absolutely terrified of anything that would take my hair off - clippers were the worst as I never liked loud noises when I was little, and were the very thing that robbed my hair from me. It's taken a long time to calm down about my childhood, the abuse, and hair (which was a big thing to me, considering I had nothing), Only until I was doing A levels at college and made friends with a girl doing a hairdressing course (after a few years of googling emo and scene hair), did I decide to go back to truly enjoying hair again. That girl turned my life around by steering me in what I feel is a brilliant direction, and I had the guts to stick up to my own current parents to do what I want to do with my life. (They didn't approve as they thought is was an impulse decision, but hair has been a big part of me since I was a child, so no).

I'm now a lot happier now I live with my boyfriend and am training towards an NVQ Level 2 - I'm hoping to finish by June or July maybe, but I might have to stay until November, as I've been doing my best to look for a part-time job.

Sadly, again, that's another thing that's giving me a big finger in the face. :( But all I can do is keep at what is really and truly me, and not let anyone else bring me down.

This is why I love LHC and everyone here who shares this same passion! :)

:blossom::blossom: Good luck with the studies

ichosethis
March 9th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I was made fun of when I was young for having short hair but it wasn't by choice! I think part of the teasing was because I let it be known that I hated it and hadn't wanted it cut short in the first place. I had an incompetent hair dresser cut all my hair off when I asked for a trim. I was about 8 years old and my younger sister went before me to get her hair cut off above her ears because it was thick and she hated brushing it or having someone else brush it. I went second, asked for a trim, and by the time I realized she was cutting way more off than I had wanted it was too late. I cried and my dad wasn't allowed to take us to get hair cuts again. Who the hell thinks two girls want the exact same hair cut?!?

I haven't had hair shorter than shoulder length since and I still harbor resentment for that woman.

GoddessLocks
March 9th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I don't recall ever getting teased about my hair being long but I do remember when I was in 6th grade I wanted my hair really short and it was the ugliest freaking hair cut and I got teased and was told I looked like a boy. Even worse we had to wear uniforms and I looked even more like a boy. I would wear the skirt for this reason but the first day I wore the skirt this girl told me I was too fat for skirts. Oh how I hated that year so much! Luckily by 7th grade my hair had grown out but to this day I will never ever have my hair shorter than a Bob.