PDA

View Full Version : Yellowish white buildup on scalp?

littlestarface
February 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
One of my family members has this problem on their scalp,it's like a layer of yellowy white layer its thick and it stays stuck on his hair and scalp and it's impossible to wash off. It's kind of a waxy oily consistancy. I have no idea what it is and I have no idea how to take it away. He is using selsun blue to wash his hair but its not going away,anyone know what this is and what I can do to take it away?

He has been to a doctor but not a derm. the doctor said to use selsun blue but his scalp is still pretty bad with it. Here is how it looks. Anyone know what is? or how to fix this?

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5656/014exn.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/014exn.jpg/)

spidermom
February 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
He could try combing over his scalp after he lathers up to be sure he gets good distribution over his scalp. It sounds like some variety of seborrheic dermatitis to me (but I'm not a doctor, nor have I played one on TV).

littlestarface
February 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM
:lol: Good one, Is there any shampoo for that spidermom?

spidermom
February 28th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think he should use what the doctor prescribed.

P.S: A quick google search brought up soaking a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, applying it to the problem spot only (it will sting), and allowing to dry an hour or so before washing.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I'd go back to the doctor tell them it's not working.

akilina
February 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Eek.....When I was working I saw a lot of kids and young teen boys with this. What it is most of the time is them not washing their shampoo or conditioner off enough, and not washing their hair well enough/leaving excess product.

Another example is my brother...he would get out of the shower and put his hat on right away. He soon formed a crusty thick stuff just like you are saying. The only way he got rid of it was shaving his head every single day and really scrubbing at it. Im sure there is a different approach to help though.

Is it possible to try something like monistat on their scalp? Or a very diluted mixture of coconut oil and tea tree oil?

kaydana
February 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Sounds similar to something my scalp does from time to time. Massaging oil into my scalp before washing really helps for me. I use a blend of almond oil and castor oil.

crazycandigirl
February 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I have gotten something similar on my scalp a few times. I had dreadlocks at the time and very very soft water. The combination was not kind to my skin. Waxy white/yellow skin cell buildup on my scalp and roots that was kinda itchy and looked horrid. I got rid of it with Neutrogena T/Gel (http://www.neutrogena.com/category/hair/t-gel-.do). It smells really awful, but works amazingly well. I only had to use it once and the problem would be gone instantly. When my scalp would randomly decide to act up again a few months later, I would just use it once and be fine again.

Celtic Morla
February 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM
MY soin get this since he was a baby. I found that washing his head with an OO shampoo helped. He also uses conditioner on his hair now(18) and it seems a lot better. He also is growing out his hair which has changed his hair washing routine as well. I find most of the time diluting th eshampoo seems to help

littlestarface
February 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM
So oil it put acv on it and scrub the heck out of it. I'm going to try that on him,we have tea tree oil and coconut oil so no problem. Do you guys think I should do a heat cap with the oil on before the shower?

lapushka
February 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM
That looks like typical dandruff to me (BTW I'm no doctor). I'd stick with the Selsun blue shampoo for at least 4 to 5 washes.