PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide! One length curly hair pictures?

alexandros22
February 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
For a long time I've been wondering whether I should cut my hair one length or not and I think I've finally made up my mind and I'm going for it. The only thing that worries me is that a lot of people claim that curly hair shouldn't be cut like that cause your head will look like a triangle after. I tried to find pictures of one length curly hair to see if this is true but I can't find much. I would apreciate if anyone with pictures of curly hair cut one length would contribute to help me make my final decision!

Byt he way, this is how it looks now...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2725&d=1361453083

rowie
February 28th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Ok i'll give this one a shot even though my hair texture has somewhat changed, but i'm still a wurly depending on the humidity. I did a blunt cut trim back when I was at shoulder length.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_12317348-47DE-4E0C-BDB5-6EA67C8352FD_zps705e692f.jpg

For some reason it looked nice for a couple of months until I reached BSL where I started getting tapering as my hair gets longer, my texture as you can see in my current pictures is much different now and a lot thinner as my hair gets longer. I plan to just wait until I reach my goal of classic length where I will be able to maintain a blunt cut. It is possible for us wurly/curly peeps to get a blunt cut, but since our hair is not straight be aware that it can change as your hair gets longer or until you reach your goal where you can get regular blunt trims to maintain. What is your goal length? Maybe that will shed some light for me.

ETA: Ok I've re-read your profile and it says your goal is hip length. If that is the case, then I'd wait until a lot of your hair reaches hip length (just make sure you do the occasional S&D along the way), maybe an inch or two past hip and then get a blunt cut. Also if you like to wear buns then a blunt cut can be more challenging then if you had a "v" or "moon shape" hemline. I know with my U- hemline making buns is less problematic now then when I had a blunt cut cause I'd have to pin down hairs that stick out when I tuck it in. However, if you like to wear your hair down most of the time, then go for it, just remember that it will take a lot slower for you to reach your goal length of hip if you have to keep making blunt trims the moment it looses its form. It really depends how fast you want to reach your goal. If you want to take your time then you'll have the luxury to do so, but if you want hip length really fast, then I'd avoid trims and S&D only if you need it. I hope that helps. :)

SerinaDaith
February 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I am a curly and when I do wear my hair down right now I do look kind of like a triangle head however two factors are keeping me blunt:
1 I wear my hair up or braided pretty much all the time so the uniform length keeps me looking more put together.
2 when my hair gets longer I will want the thickness for the odd occation that I do wear it down.

flip-flop
February 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I can't find any pictures of me with my hair down in a blunt cut (I had one for a long time in school, but I seem to have always been wearing my hair up), but I think whether it works for you depends on what you're going to do with your hair.

When my hair was down I did have a triangle head, especially when my hair was shorter. But since my hair was up most of the time, it wasn't noticeable or a problem, and as SerinaDaith mentioned, it can make updos look neater.

Now that my hair is longer, I keep it layered. If it's all one length and I wear it down, my hair is kind of flat down the length and then curls/poofs a lot, but only at the bottom, I find the layers and v hemline give me more volume and better curl through the length of my hair, not just at the ends.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
at lengths shorter than mbl i get triangle head because even though im only 2c/3a, the mixed texture of it creates a lot of volume. You have a good deal of thickness and volume in your curls too and i think at this length you would get triangle head. I am most def of the opinion that curlies should have layers until they get longer however not everyone thinks like that. My moms fiance really liked my moms triangle head especially when some of the bits poofed up at the sides like this http://girlwithflask.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Diana-Ross-triangle-head.jpg

She grew it to bsl stretched and i cut a very soft u with light layering on the bottom 2/3 inches and face like this https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg7QbFZOD1aR8Fg5q4a6d-mrLNwXkY_z1RhpPAaVgw5ThzWSXD
which i think is a much more flattering cut.

Btw my mom has 3a/3b curl coarse hair with afro texture so your results may vary in the triangle stakes.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
oh and an unrelated lovely pic i found of 3b/c hair that looks divine
http://www.curlbox.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cb-kink1.jpg

kitschy
February 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Once you grow your hair long, it won't look triangle - it just hangs better.

Mine layered
http://images49.fotki.com/v1511/photos/0/1803120/9931107/Aug2045-vi.jpg

One length (for the most part)
http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photos/0/1803120/9931107/IMG_1423-vi.jpg

kitschy
February 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM
BTW, Your hair is gorgeous! I love the cut, the curl and the color!

SugarPlumDreams
February 28th, 2013, 10:04 AM

This girl and kitschy have my dream hair :o

Like kitschy mentioned, it hangs differently at different lengths. For my personal taste, I think a blunt cut for curly hair looks better once it's BSL or longer, but, ya gotta do what makes you happy!

I think your hair looks gorgeous as is, alexandros22!

spidermom
February 28th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Wow Kitschy; that's some gorgeous hair ya got there!

Layered:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg

Compare that to my signature picture (blunt cut). With one-length hair, I've lost curl, and it looks more like a cape now. I think I hate it.

alexandros22
February 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your responses everybody! I wear it up in a bun or a ponytail most of the time(-always) and I do plan on growing it much longer so why should I wait for it to get longer? I guess it won't look like a triangle for ever right? I'm also not really in a hurry to reach my goal length, I'm enjoying the journey too and I don't mind loosing some length for something I want to do eventually.

RavenBaby
February 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I think you should wait and I love how it looks all one length to be honest. Don't cut any growth without seriously considering it for ages, but that's just my opinion and what I would do if I had your awesome hair :o

88bernice
February 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM

I will save this picture because it is exactly may hair texture :cheer: . I decide to let my hair grow to my goal length and then cut it layered. I took this decision because I think if I cut my hair layered now at waist length, then when I achieve my goal the last layers will be very thin.

lapushka
February 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM
You have gorgeous curls. TBH, I think your hair is a little too short to go for a blunt cut. You'll end up with triangle-head if you cut too much off. So I'd stick with growing it out some more first.

share801
February 28th, 2013, 01:27 PM
As a wavy, I can tell you shoulder or above is bad for me blunt cut. YMMV.

alexandros22
February 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I think you should wait and I love how it looks all one length to be honest. Don't cut any growth without seriously considering it for ages, but that's just my opinion and what I would do if I had your awesome hair :o
Of course I will consider it a lot. Especially since I change my mind easily. When I say I'm going for it I mean probably some time in the next few months :)

You have gorgeous curls. TBH, I think your hair is a little too short to go for a blunt cut. You'll end up with triangle-head if you cut too much off. So I'd stick with growing it out some more first.

As a wavy, I can tell you shoulder or above is bad for me blunt cut. YMMV.
My shortest layer is about an inch past shoulder length, when pulled straight, but it shrinks a lot so cutting it one length will result in shoulder length when curly. I 'll probably wait for it to grow one more inch before cutting.

alexandros22
February 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Still, I haven't seen a picture of how this "triangle head" looks like!

McFearless
February 28th, 2013, 06:45 PM

I agree with this. As a curly who has been through a wide range of cuts and lengths, a blunt hemline did not improve the appearance of my hair at that length and only made hairstyles harder to achieve. It is better suited to longer hair, I think.

88bernice
February 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Here you can have an example of how one length U shaped waist length curly hair looks like... I really don't do something special just some oil and leave in when is wet, scrunch a little and let it AIR DRY WITHOUT touching it...

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q657/88bernice/20130228_215841_zps599450ff.jpg
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q657/88bernice/20130228_215959_zps92a1419f.jpg

ravenreed
February 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I am not a curly but a wavy. Even so, my hair has a tendency towards the triangle look. It did this right up to waist. I love my layers anyway, but it is a good thing. I would grow before trimming because you curlies lose a lot of length to your curls.

long&blonde
February 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Spidermom,
I really see the difference in your two photos of your own hair, with and without layers.
I agree with what you said,
The blunt hemline gives your hair a heavy cape like look.
The layers on the other hand,
Emphasize your curls and waves.
I prefer your photo with layers also. IMHO of course!

long&blonde
February 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Kitschy,
I agree, your hair is beyond awesome!

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM
I will save this picture because it is exactly may hair texture :cheer: . I decide to let my hair grow to my goal length and then cut it layered. I took this decision because I think if I cut my hair layered now at waist length, then when I achieve my goal the last layers will be very thin.
Yes I'm doing this. I got layers initially when hair was shorter and needed help to look good, then as i've grown down i'm cutting away the layers to achieve something like spidermoms, then i think i'll put layers back in for body and curl.

Having a blunter hemline after waist and beyond really help my ends feel better and look non ratty.

This thread reminds me of being age 10 through 12 where i was growing out blunt triangle head cut that my grandma insisted i get to make my hair look more presentable. Of course it only looked presentable when it was a blow dried straight bob at the salon. It was wild, pretty big and had some seriously ugly stripy highlights. Didn't help that my grandma was ignorant about waves and curls, always saying my hair was messy, when really it needed moisture.

legendya
March 1st, 2013, 03:15 AM
I found that layers made my hair poofier than usual. When my hair was one length it was thicker and easier to manage. The curls a little more consistent too.

Mischamiu
March 1st, 2013, 04:06 AM
I think curly hair looks great layered when it's long (like the girl in the picture) but I think that for shorter hair you just loose a lot of length and it is really really hard to deal with. When I used to have shoulder length hair I wished I had never cut my hair with layers but now that it is longer I really like it a lot better! So yes, I think you should wait :D

alexandros22
March 1st, 2013, 04:46 PM
It looks like the majority has spoken and I shall respect the desicion :p
For now I will continue growing and reconsider later.

leslissocool
March 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM
I get triangle head at shoulder so my biased advice would be to wait until it's longer.My hair has identity issues: behaves like it's curly and when treated like one gets wavy :rolleyes:.

So I am just here for the hair :crush: absolutely stunning pic OP I love your hair color! And kitschy and that picture from before, serious hair envy here...

Swissmiss2584
March 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM
All of these pictures make me wish I had naturally curly hair!

spirals
March 2nd, 2013, 12:36 AM
I love my curls. I think blunt only looks good on me at midback and longer.

Rosethorn
March 2nd, 2013, 03:37 AM
This has nothing to do with your question- I just had to say that you guys are giving me major curl envy. :bounce:

alexandros22
May 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
So, after a long time of consideration I decided to go for it. It turned out that my shortest layer was only 2-3 inches shorter than the longest one so I didn't have to cut much. It's still not entirely one length as the top and front layer is about 0.5 shorter, but I'm satisfied for now. I finally have a haircut that I like and now I plan on just growing it without trims for a long time, after being stacked to the same length for the last 8 months, or so, due to 2 big trims (the first one pointless). Here is an after picture...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4263&d=1368017815

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Ooh that looks lovely!

Neecola
May 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Turned out very nice alexandros22! Glad you are happy with the results. I'm kinda in the same boat; I've been microtrimming as I grow but there is still a bit of length difference between the top and bottom. I already suffer from the dreaded triangle-head when my hair is completely down, so I'll have to wait to cut.

Anabell
May 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Wow Kitschy; that's some gorgeous hair ya got there!

Layered:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg

Compare that to my signature picture (blunt cut). With one-length hair, I've lost curl, and it looks more like a cape now. I think I hate it.
I LOVE your signature picture. It's looks so thick and I love the little waves curls in the ends of it. Such a good hemline. I also like the other hair picture in this thread.

alexandros22 As everyone else said- curls looks good in one length at longer lengths. I also think that there nothing to worry about the triangle head effect, because (unfortunately) the taper comes first and balance the triangle factor. And if you get the triangle anyway, you always can cut more from the bottom to avoid this problem when you get to your goal length (U of V shape, when the last few inches a little layered).