PDA

View Full Version : Slippery hair

Kwantslonghair
February 28th, 2013, 07:15 AM
My hair is very slippery. Is that good or bad? Does it mean I am doing something wrong? It makes it hard to put up but it looks pretty down.

Jenny31557
February 28th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I have that too so I hope it's a good thing lol
And it's better if its slippery when it comes to detangling so you don't get as much breakage.
Braided updos help it to stay up.
Hope this helps

Kwantslonghair
February 28th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Yeah. I get very few tangles even if I wear it down all day in the wind. I get tangles when it needs a trim. I just wanted to make sure I was not over conditioning or something

Jenny31557
February 28th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Well I'm not an expert but I think it just means that it's well moisturised but I would wait and see if anyone else knows anything else. :)

Nae
February 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Do you use a lot of cones? They tend to make my hair much more slippery.

cathair
February 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Think you're just lucky :) that sounds like nice hair to have.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mine is sort of slippery I agree it does detangle easy. I think the cones and shine serums I use cause mine.

Mandie
February 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
My hair is slippery too, I rather like it. It means it's harder to get an updo to stay but it also means it's much easier to detangle. My hair very rarely tangles and like you, when it starts to tangle it means it's time for a trim. It has to be very damaged to start tangling. I find it frustrating when I'm trying to put my hair up but it turns out for an updo/braid a bit of oil down the length makes it a bit 'sticky' so it doesn't slip right out again.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 11:29 PM
What are you guys using? product details and routines please! I need me some of that slip :o

Oh and yes its a great thing, you're very lucky.

Siiri
March 1st, 2013, 03:27 AM
I agree that the slipperiness is a good thing in general, but making updos or curls (when you're curling your hair) to stay is more difficult.

What are you guys using? product details and routines please! I need me some of that slip :o

Mine got more slippery when I started using shampoo with sulfates. With CO-washing it was more sticky (more stuff on hair). I use conditioner and mineral oil too, that's pretty much it. The brand I'm using right now is Faith in nature chocolate. They're silicone-free, the shampoo washes well and the conditioner is pretty light. This probably works better for hair that's in good condition to begin with and doesn't need a lot of stuff on it. My theory is that co-wash and weekly deep treatments were just hiding the hair I had underneath and the buildup was making it stickier. I used mineral oil too with co-washing so it's probably not the MO. For damaged hair this probably wouldn't work though and you'd need something to sooth it out.

eta: My hair has low/normal porosity naturally, I think. If yours it naturally porous, it would probably need some amount of product build up for better slip, so what I'm suggesting wouldn't work.

sakuraemily
March 1st, 2013, 05:03 AM
I think slipperiness is a good thing. That means its silky. Styling may be a problem but I'd rather have trouble styling than rough hair. Also, the shine is always a good thing.
My theory is that the cuticles are arranged more compactly.

Kwantslonghair
March 1st, 2013, 05:16 AM
I switch between cone and no cone from wash to wash. My hair does not like using the same products all the time. Yesterday I used just a tiny amount of poo on my scalp. Rinsed and then did a heavier CO wash. It feels amazing today. I like when it's silky and shiny. It looks fuller when it has some texture to it. It will need a trim soon but over all seems quite healthy. I am happy about that. Thanks to LHC!

QMacrocarpa
March 1st, 2013, 05:30 AM
Slipperiness has much going for it. I would guess that splits are much less of a problem, so you can keep the length you grow. And shine seems to be something that all are expected to strive for by the cosmetics industry, but it probably comes naturally to you. :)

My hair has grippiness instead, along with a lack of shine which goes with my texture (I think of it as "matte-finish" hair :) ). It gets tangly instantly when it's in need of a trim and is quite split-prone, so I trim a couple times a year to keep the ends from starting to break off (I've had the ends break off about as fast as it grew in the past, when I wore it down all the time). I've learned to like the hair I have (my hair will stay in a braid with nothing holding the end, woohoo), and not be fooled by marketing into pursuing goals I believe to be unreachable for me (shiny hair) but I certainly wouldn't argue that grip is better than slip.
:blossom:

Elithia
March 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
I have very slippery hair -- when I do braided buns it can be very frustrating because I don't want to tie off the end, but if I don't, by the time I've twisted the whole thing up half the braid has come out!

sisi33
March 1st, 2013, 07:23 PM
Slipperiness is a good thing! You're doing something right! And I'm envious of your slipperiness...

Lilli
March 2nd, 2013, 05:52 AM
My hair is very slippery if I use sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners. It is very fine hair and healthy, which adds to the slipperiness. If I intend to wear it down and as straight as possible, I will use sulfates and cones. However, that makes it hard to do updos, and it tends to flatten it, so if I want waves or volume, I will use a natural, protein-rich, no sulfate/no cone system, like Aubrey Organics. I keep several different shampoo and conditioner systems in my shower and choose based on what I want my hair to do. Oh, and if I intend to skip a day or two washing it, I choose the Aubrey products as they keep my ends from drying out as quickly as the sulfate/coney products do.

Kwantslonghair
March 2nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
Great info lilli. Makes sense now that I see it written.

CJCHair-stylist
March 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Your hair is perfectly healthy - the fact that it has slip means that it has very little damage and lower porosity which means your cuticle layer (the outside layer of your hair) is lying pretty flat. Have you ever noticed how gorgeously shiny and slippery straight a lot of Oriental ladies hair is? Its because their cuticle layer lies completely flat against the hair shaft. When hair gets damaged it usually grips a great deal more and has a lot less shine because the cuticle layer has been damaged (this does not apply to curly hair though - the cuticle layer on curly hair usually naturally lies a little open because of the bend in the hair). I have this hair type myself and I do find using a boar bristle brush while I`m putting my hair up helps a great deal - it sort of helps the hair blend together better - I do use a good quality hairspray on windy days too.

sakuraemily
March 2nd, 2013, 11:04 PM
Your hair is perfectly healthy - the fact that it has slip means that it has very little damage and lower porosity which means your cuticle layer (the outside layer of your hair) is lying pretty flat. Have you ever noticed how gorgeously shiny and slippery straight a lot of Oriental ladies hair is? Its because their cuticle layer lies completely flat against the hair shaft. When hair gets damaged it usually grips a great deal more and has a lot less shine because the cuticle layer has been damaged (this does not apply to curly hair though - the cuticle layer on curly hair usually naturally lies a little open because of the bend in the hair). I have this hair type myself and I do find using a boar bristle brush while I`m putting my hair up helps a great deal - it sort of helps the hair blend together better - I do use a good quality hairspray on windy days too.

well-written and succintly put!

Natalia
March 2nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
i guess it depends on how you look at it do you prfer earing it down or up? Do updo's fustrate you or are you ok with them? If i s&c or co i have slippery hair now im wo and its more textured and grabby which i prefer as i hate messing with my hair. If i cant put it up and foret it its going to annoy me.

alyaziaaah
March 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
well-written and succintly put!

exactly. well put. plus many(most here) asian girls do rebonding which is a straightening method with ironing in between. i did that too. if it is well made on virgin hair it lies the cuticle flat, the flatter, the more slip and shine. i have 2c/3a M/C hair and my hair tangles a lot at the ends. when i had rebonded hair it was so shiney and slippery it wouldnt stay up well. but when it got damaged it got rough even as it was stick straight. now my hair is almost virgin, henna with small parts of bleach and its curly wavy and stay uuuuuupppppppp, bends like wire lol, although i do have some shine in it because of the henna its not like when i had rebonded hair. oh and that time i could use sulphates and cones and my hair didnt get brushing damage. now if i use sulphates and cones i get a horrible frizzy mess, its very humid here in dubai, but co wash gives zero frizz for me. but no slip :doh:

CJCHair-stylist
March 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much for the compliment - I really pride myself on being brief and to the point and its so nice to have someone notice that. You made my day, thanks Sakuraemily. :-)

Mesmerise
March 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
It's neither good nor bad ;) There are advantages and disadvantages either way! Slippery hair can be hard to put up (I really need to put mine up when wet, because if it's dry it will often slip out), but again, it can also look nice and shiny!

I also find that my slippery hair is super easy to detangle (detangle?? what's that??). Mind you, my daughter's hair is very shiny but super tangly... so yeah, different heads of hair just behave differently.

The amount of slip you get may change depending on what you wash your hair with (like whether you're cones or no cones, or whatever).

Kwantslonghair
March 4th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Thank you so much for the compliment - I really pride myself on being brief and to the point and its so nice to have someone notice that. You made my day, thanks Sakuraemily. :-)

Yes. That was very well put! My hair used to be very porous so I guess my time here has helped so much!