PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Pantene???

missannie
February 27th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I have heard so many people say they hate Pantene shampoo, can anyone tell me why? It makes me hair AMAZING......is that bad? It makes it shiny, smooth and well behaved so I am not understanding the bad side of it! please enlighten me!

Andrea H
February 27th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Everyone's hair is different. For me it makes my hair SUPER dry, even with the conditioner.

Becky9679
February 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't used it since my teens but I suspect it may be one of the ones that's full of silicone, which many people on here try to avoid. Silicone makes your hair look good and well-behaved in the short term but after a while you get buildup which makes hair lank and greasy and you have to use a harsh clarifying treatment to get rid of it (I am not speaking from experience here as I haven't used silicone products for years but this is what I've read others saying)

akilina
February 27th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I loves cones, but this product..I do not like. And no, its not because I am a hair dresser.

My thing is that if something works for someone, and they like it, I offer something new if they ever want to try it but Im not gunna shove it down their throats and say that they NEEED it.

This product makes my hair feel like it has 50 tons of wax on it with just one use. Apparently it has no wax in it whatsoever.
Ive seen some of the worst heads of hair from people who say they use Pantene. Very dirty, and hard to even comb it was so waxy feeling. I even asked the girl when they last time she washed her hair was, and she said "just now". I felt really bad.
So....I just don't like the stuff.

Thats just my personal experience. I am sure its different for everyone. It works wonderfully for some people.
Mostly, I am speaking about their shampoos...I hate them. I think I used the Ice Shine conditioner once 2 years ago or more and actually liked it for that one use.

When I was 16 I used to use the Beautiful Lengths when it first came out and I actually liked it. I got a second round of the S+C, and it turned into the nasty waxy problem.
The same thing happens to me when I use any of the Herbal Essences shampoos...but their conditioners work well for me.

HintOfMint
February 28th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I've enjoyed Pantene conditioners for their deeply coney goodness, LOL. However, Pantene shampoos have caused a seriously scabby scalp for me. They were just a touch too harsh.

Thinthondiel
February 28th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I haven't actually heard anything bad about Pantene, but then I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing since I just stick with a couple of brands that I know my hair likes.

I'm sure I've used Pantene sometime in my life, but if I have I can't remember how my hair reacted to it. Looking at the ingredients list of a Pantene shampoo (Pantene Pro-V) now, though, I can say that that particular one, at least, is not for me. It contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate as its main two ingredients, which means it's way too harsh for my hair and scalp to use on a regular basis (those sulfates make my hair dry and frizzy and my scalp flakey). I only use sulfates if I want to get rid of build-up or if I've used a coney product, but I wouldn't be able to use this shampoo for that either, since it contains dimethicone, which means I'd need yet another sulfate shampoo to get rid of those cones.

However, I think that if something works for your hair, then you shouldn't feel like you have to avoid it just because it might not work for other people. :)

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I used the ice shine shampoo and conditioner years ago and liked it.

starlamelissa
February 28th, 2013, 04:53 AM
some people hate pantene because it isnt a natural product, others dont like that its a little pricey for a drugstore product, and some dont like anything from Procter and Gamble. However P and G has some amazing scientists in their product development team. I mean look at Tide laundry detergent, it always tests better than any other detergent brand out there for removing stains, and keeping clothes looking new. But its expensive, and unnatural, and lots of people dont like that.

Kyaatje
February 28th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I never used it since P&G is one of the firms that use animal test

joflakes
February 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM
P&G test on animals, so that's my reason!

faellen
February 28th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I've met hairdressers that used to tell me how bad Pantene was, then try to sell me their own salon products that really weren't much different in terms of formula.

There are a few fans of Pantene Ice Shine here, and I'm one of them, it makes my hair look great (but going sulphate and cone free did not work at all for me, so YMMV).

Kherome
February 28th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Oh why Pantene is awful, let me count the ways! Super, super harsh product. Tends to dry the hair and scalp out badly, causing increased oil production, causing greasy head. Chock full, full, full, of silicone which just "hides" the damage it's been doing to your hair. Major build-up causer. Fragrance OVERLOAD. And of course it is rubbed in the eyes and mouths of animals locked in lab cages for testing purposes. I can't buy something that I know was used to torture an animal.

Hiriel
February 28th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Posted in wrong thread, sorry!

renia22
February 28th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Pantene back in the day was amazing (anyone remember the "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" commercials?.). That was in the 80s, when it still came packaged in a small cylinder shaped bottle with a silver or gold lid. It's smelled so good too. Since they changed the formula sometime in the 90s I haven't really liked it. The last one that I thought was okay was the clarifying shampoo, which got discontinued at some point. The ones now are either too creamy & make my hair fall flat, or make my hair dry, and they don't smell as good as the original. I haven't used this brand in years & have no intention to. Maybe I would try it again if they brought back an old formula or the original scent.

LadyLongLocks
February 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I have heard of the waxy feeling buildup from other people. I used it years and years ago but don't recall an issue. I considered trying the conditioner when I had a coupon recently, but never did. Pantene also has Pantene Beautiful lengths, which is similar to locks of love(a step up I hear) and one time on their ad it bragged about how their products help you grow long hair. At the bottom of the ad it asked you to donate your hair! I have the ad somewhere. That just turned me off forever.

longNred
February 28th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I use it now & then for it's wonderful coney goodness too. but not the shampoo. I've just always had good luck w/ things like suave naturals or mane n tail for shampoo. fits my budget, and everyone in the house seems to like it. (I tend to stick to shampoos that my hb and ds can use as well) but I do love the pantene conditioners now & then. using them too often results in that icky buildup for me.

Annibelle
February 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I used Pantene for about two years (since that's what DH used and he had thud-worthy TBL hair). I thought I just had bad hair, so I didn't bother trying anything different. It left my hair very shiny, but in the waxy/plasticky way. It made my hair very flat, straight, and flyaway.

I've enjoyed Pantene conditioners for their deeply coney goodness, LOL. However, Pantene shampoos have caused a seriously scabby scalp for me. They were just a touch too harsh.

This happened to me, too! Again, I thought I just had bad hair/skin, so I didn't think the product mattered.

Oh why Pantene is awful, let me count the ways! Super, super harsh product. Tends to dry the hair and scalp out badly, causing increased oil production, causing greasy head. Chock full, full, full, of silicone which just "hides" the damage it's been doing to your hair. Major build-up causer. Fragrance OVERLOAD. And of course it is rubbed in the eyes and mouths of animals locked in lab cages for testing purposes. I can't buy something that I know was used to torture an animal.

:agree:

LadyLongLocks
February 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I found the PANTENE magazine ad: (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/ARTICLES/Panteneandtangledmagazineadcropped.jpg)<= click here
see the bottom of page next to Rapunzel!:mad::steam
(sorry the top of the directions is missing)

berr
February 28th, 2013, 07:28 AM
shed. 10 characters

LadyCelestina
February 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Pantene products are very strong scented,it lasts for days and sometimes mixes with other,maybe less pleasing smells like sebum or cigarette smoke -and I get sort of irritated with that.I buy it occasionally,but it's not my go-to product.

Nae
February 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Their Ice Shine line works out really well for me, but I swap out my products so often that I can't really comment on long term use.

Mischamiu
February 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I think everyone's hair is different and if it works for you, then great! But I do know that Pantene has some serious silicones :) and sometimes those can actually dry your hair after a while...

rowie
February 28th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I love Ice Shine shampoo and conditioner!!! It is a miracle shampoo that helps tame my horse hair like texture. My hair is naturally really rough and thick like horse hair, and resilient to heat and many products, and ice shine is the only shampoo that has helped with giving me a soft smooth texture. I always rotate using different products so I don't worry about buildup since I clarify on a monthly basis. I love love love this "devil's cocktail." !!! If you are not blessed with fine silky 1a/1b straight hair, then this product can give you that feel when you wash out the conditioner with warm water,oooooh it is such an addicting feeling that I feel like washing with it right now!!!! plus it helps relaxes my hair more.

Vanille_
February 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I like Ice Shine and the Beautiful Lengths line. I'm using the Aqua something one... Silicone free. I've never had any of these issues you guys are talking about. But then, I like my hair flat and "weighed down". It's how I get what I want without using a straightener.

littlestarface
February 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Alot of people like ice shine :lol:

I only tried pantene once when I was a teen and it made my hair dry plasticy mess,,never again after that.

Mononoke
February 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry if it has already been asked, but do Pantene conditioners contain proteins?

leslissocool
February 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM
It's the panthenol, it makes my scalp itch like crazy! I avoid it like crazy, but pantene is the worse when it comes to panthenol content.

cathair
February 28th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Last time I tried it when I got sent a sample bottle, I didn't like it because it makes me feel like my hair doesn't weigh anything. Odd thing so say I know, but I like feeling like I have hair and I assume the light feeling probably means it has over dried. Makes my hair fly-away too and I really hate the smell. I used to like the smell as a teenager, but I don't now.

Topaz
February 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM
No matter what Pantene product I use, when I rinse it out my hair starts coming out by the fistful. After it air dries it will look good for the remainder of that day, but by day 2 it starts looking frazzled, and by day 3 it looks like an old broomstick. Horribly dry, flyaway, and impossible to get a comb through, plus just looking AWFUL! I have tried it off and on through the years and ALWAYS got this same result. I swore off of cones and all the (for me) bad things about 5 years ago and I've never gone back, and thus my hair has never been happier. Nope, for me, Pantene is EVIL!!! :mad:

rock007junkie
February 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
For me is the massive amount of silicones. Even before I went CG I remember my hair feeling coated when using these. Like I had to do 5 shampoos to get my hair clean.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Animal testing, marketing ethics and poor grade ingredients that petty much consist of cones, chemicals and ph adjusters. I also experienced the worst shedding ever from some of their lines. my friend used pantene and a hairdresser asked the same thing as akilina, it took 3 clarifying washes for them to strip the waxy layer off her hair, when she stopped using it her hair behaved wayy different and was almost a different texture... That to me is proof of the 'coats you hair to make it look healthy but doesn't actually do anything good' thing that people say about pantene.

If it were up to me id remove dove and pantene poo and dish lines from shelves, hideous products and hideous companies but alas they work for some. Serious soap box moment when it comes to dove and their 'love your body' campaign.

Latte Lady
February 28th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I used the 'red enhancing' stuff a couple of years ago and only liked it for a few days. The dyes rubbed off on clothing and stained my tub. It did nothing special for my hair and my hair seemed to get dirty faster with the stuff, which made me feel like I had to wash more often. I used what I had and went back to my cheap suave. Suave doesn't interfere with my coconut oil and doesn't dry out my hair. I do a deep conditioner every two weeks though.

I always seem to go back to Suave or Tresemme. They're nothing special, but they're cheap, so I don't mind. My hair isn't too picky but this place has the bad habit of making me want to try everything everyone else uses.

shutterpillar
February 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Like many of the previous posters, my hair feels waxy even after I have just washed it. I have used Pantene for both CO and S&C washing, and it has the same effect. I also experienced quite a bit of shedding while using Pantene products.

BUT, I also know many people who use their products without any problems. :shrug:

Angelica
February 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
In the UK it has a bad reputation. It is said to be the worst shampoo out there and hairdressers discourage clients from purchasing it. I don't know if this is true, but there was a rumour once that it was so bad for the hair that it was going to be taken off the market. It was said to actually "thin" the hair. Which is not good, particularly if someone already has thin fine hair.

RavenBaby
February 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I used to love pantene "smooth and sleek" shampoo and conditioner but I haven't use a pantene product since except for de-frizz 24 hour serum which is nice but nothing to rave about but then again It cost me 1 euro 50 cent lol. I love how pantene is really affordable and it's not bad quality at all.

Vanille_
February 28th, 2013, 12:36 PM
You guys are scaring me. I really love Pantene. Is there really truth to it thining and causing shedding? I shed .. but I don't know that it is much more than normal, especially now since it is long and it looks like more but is probably less than it looks. As for animal testing. That is good to know. I think I'll finish these bottles and switch to a brand that doesn't animal test.

patienceneeded
February 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I have used Pantene on and off for over 20 years and have never had a single problem while using it. I love Pantene.

renia22
February 28th, 2013, 12:51 PM
One of the Pantene conditioners is on this Paula Begoun's "best of" list:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/paulas-choice/get-gorgeous-glossy-hair-on-the-cheap/10151451914669004

Annibelle
February 28th, 2013, 12:57 PM
You guys are scaring me. I really love Pantene. Is there really truth to it thining and causing shedding? I shed .. but I don't know that it is much more than normal, especially now since it is long and it looks like more but is probably less than it looks. As for animal testing. That is good to know. I think I'll finish these bottles and switch to a brand that doesn't animal test.

Please don't worry about thinning or shedding! My DH used Pantene for a decade or longer and has never had these problems. If you were, you probably would have noticed by now. :flower:

ravenreed
February 28th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Pantene was one of the first lines that I ever had a serious allergic reaction to. My scalp broke out in huge bumps that took forever to go away.

leilasahhar
February 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I like pantene every now and then but tell me YOU DONT SEE SATANS FACE ON THIS BOTTLE! I cant post pics here but type in under images "pantene shampoo medium-thick frizzy to smooth" FREAKY!

MaryRose
February 28th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I like pantene every now and then but tell me YOU DONT SEE SATANS FACE ON THIS BOTTLE! I cant post pics here but type in under images "pantene shampoo medium-thick frizzy to smooth" FREAKY!

I have never used Pantene shampoo so I don't know if its good or not. After hearing all of the comments about the shampoo, I don't have any interest in trying it. Leilasahhar, I just looked up the "pantene shampoo medium-thick frizzy to smooth" image under yahoo images. The face is definately creepy.

lapushka
February 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have heard so many people say they hate Pantene shampoo, can anyone tell me why? It makes me hair AMAZING......is that bad? It makes it shiny, smooth and well behaved so I am not understanding the bad side of it! please enlighten me!

I for one don't hate it. Many do, perhaps because it is one of the harsher shampoos out there, as it contains both sls and sles. I like it because it is harsh, as it's the only thing that calms my oily hair/scalp.

bunnylake
February 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I never had a bad experience with Pantene. It's one of the best drug store brands, IMO. I don't use the shampoo anymore simply because sulfates seem to make my scalp produce oil faster. I love the Ice Shine conditioner though.

bunnylake
February 28th, 2013, 02:28 PM

This is what bugs me about people complaining about the ingredients.
Pantene does not contain any ingredients that are not also found in MOST other drug store and salon brand hair care products. There is no wax in Pantene despite the "waxy" feeling some people experience when they use it. I have tried all natural cone-free brands that left my hair feeling coated and waxy. Some products just don't work for some people. It doesn't mean that these products are "bad".
http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/07/04/is-pantene-good-or-bad-for-my-hair/
http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/01/18/pantene-is-bad-for-hair-myth-busted/

pocketsmall
February 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I use pantene ice shine conditioner every so often as a deep treatment. I really enjoy the scent and how soft it makes my hair feel when it dries. I can't use pantene regularly, as it builds up on my thin and fine hair too easily.

Kyaatje
February 28th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Pantene does not contain any ingredients that are not also found in MOST other drug store and salon brand hair care products. There is no wax in Pantene despite the "waxy" feeling some people experience when they use it. I have tried all natural cone-free brands that left my hair feeling coated and waxy. Some products just don't work for some people. It doesn't mean that these products are "bad".

Bunnylake is right about the ingredients and other brands. For me personally, I check labels and check whether or not a company is testing on animals. When you read all the labels .... you actually don't want to buy any of them ! This is one of the reasons I have difficulties finding the right products I want to use. But as I said : that is a personal choice. If you want to make your own choices, read the labels and check the lists for products that didn't test on animals. But don't get scared of with stories ;-)
And by the way : lots of brands want us to believe they are more natural then others ... but read the labels ! And know that the ingredients are listed from high to low concentrations.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM
yes, as much as i dislike pantene, the ice shine gets raves on product forums i go on, so if people like pantene def give that one a try.

bradlea
February 28th, 2013, 04:18 PM

You should read up on pareidolia, being aware of the phenomenon really makes you see the world differently.

For me, I still have yet to find a conditioner that doesn't almost completely pull out my waves and straighten my hair, Pantene included. I don't like the animal testing, but aside from that, I've never seen terribly ill effects from Pantene. I think it's no worse than any other chemical-filled drugstore shampoo.

neko_kawaii
February 28th, 2013, 04:35 PM
You should read up on pareidolia, being aware of the phenomenon really makes you see the world differently.

For me, I still have yet to find a conditioner that doesn't almost completely pull out my waves and straighten my hair, Pantene included. I don't like the animal testing, but aside from that, I've never seen terribly ill effects from Pantene. I think it's no worse than any other chemical-filled drugstore shampoo.

I didn't know there was a word for it! I just thought it was fun to try to find shapes and faces in things. Thanks!

earthnut
February 28th, 2013, 05:06 PM
sigh... double post... sorry

earthnut
February 28th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I used to use Pantene Pro-V Frizzy to Smooth conditioner all the time. I loved it when my goal was to "tame" my hair when I was still using shampoo. It cut down the frizz and straightened my hair, which is what I wanted at the time. Another silicone rich conditioner may have been as good, but Pantene was relatively cheap. After several years, the routine (baby shampoo and pantene conditioner) stopped working for me. I dunno if it was silicone buildup that others have mentioned, the formula changed, or my expectations changed. It didn't smooth my hair enough anymore.

I haven't used a SLS shampoo in over a decade, except as a very occasional clarifying treatment. Once I stopped using it, my hair got significantly less frizzy, my scalp became less oily, and my hair was generally tamer and calmer. I used to use whatever the cheap shampoo was. Never again! It was just too harsh.

I had increased shedding when I was using SLS shampoos, but never when I was using Pantene conditioner.

I stopped using Pantene partly because it wasn't working so well anymore, partly because I wanted to encourage my natural curls, and partly because I wanted to get my hair as healthy as possible (instead of putting silicone "band-aids" on it). And partly because I was bored and wanted to try something new. :) I no longer use shampoo and use a silicone free conditioner. My hair is very tame, very curly (for me), not very frizzy or tangly. I can wear it down and long without getting annoyed at it, something I hadn't been able to do since I was 2, even when I was using shampoo and Pantene.

I think Pantene is fine, it's not going to cause permanent harm to your hair. If you like the results it gives you, then keep using it!

leslissocool
February 28th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Bunnylake is right about the ingredients and other brands. For me personally, I check labels and check whether or not a company is testing on animals. When you read all the labels .... you actually don't want to buy any of them ! This is one of the reasons I have difficulties finding the right products I want to use. But as I said : that is a personal choice. If you want to make your own choices, read the labels and check the lists for products that didn't test on animals. But don't get scared of with stories ;-)
And by the way : lots of brands want us to believe they are more natural then others ... but read the labels ! And know that the ingredients are listed from high to low concentrations.

This is why I currently buy shampoo and conditioner at trader Joes :lol: their ingredients list has words that *I* can actually understand ( I sucked at science) like lemon grass extract. Same price too as the drug store ones, tiny ingredient list, easier to know what's in it. I started to read labels on food and cosmetics and I freaked out and stopped using them.

renia22
February 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM

I'm with you on the scare tactics about ingredients, Bunnylake. thebeautybrains.com is a great reference, I've been using them quite often.
I have also experienced a waxy/coated feeling from some natural/ silicone free products & drying from sulfate free. Silicone / sulfate free does not mean some ingredients or products might not make your hair feel waxy, or dry, or won't cause irritation. Some natural ingredients can cause **horrible** allergic reactions too! It really depends on the formulation & how it works for you.

atlantaz3
February 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I used to use Pantene and the build up was yuck. My hairdresser clarified my hair. He showed me the build up. It was like stripping white paint off my hair. Never again. But if if works for anyone else good deal!

AnqeIicDemise
February 28th, 2013, 09:13 PM
It makes my hair feel icky after a few washes and my scalp gets disgustingly dry.

teela1978
February 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I haven't used the shampoos much, but I do like pantene conditioner. Never noticed any waxy buildup, though it can flatten out volume a bit. I do dislike the "it causes shedding" or "it's waxy" stuff when it's not followed by a "for me", everyone's hair is different and just because something doesn't work (or does work) for you doesn't mean it's not awesome (or awful) for someone else.

Kyaatje
March 1st, 2013, 05:40 AM
This is why I currently buy shampoo and conditioner at trader Joes :lol: their ingredients list has words that *I* can actually understand ( I sucked at science) like lemon grass extract. Same price too as the drug store ones, tiny ingredient list, easier to know what's in it. I started to read labels on food and cosmetics and I freaked out and stopped using them.

I need to find a shop like that ! I feel in Belgium I have the choice between drug store ones and expensive health store ones ! I make a lot of my stuff myself but still need to experiment with haircare thingies !

missannie
March 1st, 2013, 11:53 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I have been experimenting with so many things I am finding what works and what don't. I LOVE Suave coconut conditioner when I CO, love coconut oil but it makes me shed, HATE main and Tale it is the WORST shampoo for me, love Pantene and argan oil. I have noticed though after reading some of the posts that my hair has been really frizzy and I was wondering why! Maybe Pantene is doing that. I did not realize when a company uses animals that they rub the stuff in their mouths and eyes! So thank you for opening my eyes on that.

leslissocool
March 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
I need to find a shop like that ! I feel in Belgium I have the choice between drug store ones and expensive health store ones ! I make a lot of my stuff myself but still need to experiment with haircare thingies !

This (http://www.livestrong.com/article/164466-ingredients-in-trader-joes-shampoo/) link tells you the ingredients. I know what you mean and expensive health store products can really break a budget. I have no idea why but the scent of the spa balanced shampoo smells really divine to me. I absolutely love the smell, I replaced my kid's bath soap with it just because I love the way they smell after :lol:.

Maybe you can try etsy, prices in there can be really good meybe you can find someone in Belgium that carries something similar.

Long_hair_bear
March 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
I don't use their shampoo because it's drying, but my hair loves their Ice Shine condish, just like luxepiggy's does! My hair loves cones though and I make a point to clarify every once and again. :)

Vrindi
March 2nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
It made my hair dry and crunchy. I think it was all the protein. Some hair doesn't like it.

DragonFlyPie
March 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
I actually love Pantene. I did CO washing for over a year & my hair got so nasty & disgusting, I couldn't do it any more. My hair was like straw, and tangled like mad, or it was limp/lifeless/greasy/heavy. No thanks. After a year of CO washing, it never looked good anymore. (edit to add: CO i used was generally protein free/silicone free, & i mixed it up a lot with various products & i would clarify once a month. Still left my hair looking awful.)

Now I use Pantene Aqua Light Shampoo & Conditioner. My hair is back to it's former beauty. Occasionally I mix it up with Pantene Ice Shine conditioner, or their heavy Moisture Renewal conditioner for curly hair (ends only). I NEVER had any issues with Pantene & I used it for years as a teen & young adult. I like the fragrance, I like the silicone. I only shampoo my scalp with a tiny dollop of shampoo & just let the suds rinse down the length. I've never in my life had an issue with build-up or waxy feeling hair. I use a LOT of silicone on my hair sometimes & never had an issue.

I say stop listening to all the myths & scare tactics. If you like a product & it works for you, then use it. I've paid $30 for a bottle of "high end" shampoo/conditioner & it's been utter crap. I've also used the "all natural" stuff & it does not work for me. Leaves my hair a ratty tangled mess. So what if i have to use silicones?? I like my hair smoothed out & silky feeling. My hair is super thick & past my butt, I must be doing something right.

I let the scare tactics get to me - which is why i started CO washing in the first place. Well, it doesn't work long term for me. I might be open to CO washing for a week or two, but I like regular shampoos. And i like Pantene.

Kherome
March 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I have been experimenting with so many things I am finding what works and what don't. I LOVE Suave coconut conditioner when I CO, love coconut oil but it makes me shed, HATE main and Tale it is the WORST shampoo for me, love Pantene and argan oil. I have noticed though after reading some of the posts that my hair has been really frizzy and I was wondering why! Maybe Pantene is doing that. I did not realize when a company uses animals that they rub the stuff in their mouths and eyes! So thank you for opening my eyes on that.

That is only part of the horrible things they do to the animals. This is not a place to discuss that but I suggest you do a little digging yourself to see what animal testing is REALLY like. It is a sick, sick thing.

Kyaatje
March 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
That is only part of the horrible things they do to the animals. This is not a place to discuss that but I suggest you do a little digging yourself to see what animal testing is REALLY like. It is a sick, sick thing.

Thank you for posting this Kherome, I didn't know how to say it without going into details

JCFantasy23
March 7th, 2013, 12:09 AM
I never liked P&D's stance with animal testing for them to cut costs (shudders), and the other main reason is the high silicone content. Makes my hair EXTREMELY oily/greasy/dirty looking right away, with a yucky feel.

JCFantasy23
March 7th, 2013, 12:11 AM

Try to avoid seeing pictures though, they can really stick with you.

PetuniaBlossom
March 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I never used it since P&G is one of the firms that use animal test

My sentiments exactly. I stopped using all P & G products years ago because of their ongoing animal testing.

SleepyTangles
March 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I used pantene shampoos before switching to sulfate-free and coneless products. I can't say much about them, my hair hates cones and drugstore shampoo formulas, so they were crappy no matter what brand was my shampoo.
I prefer products that are less polluting, and brands that doesn't test on animals.

WaitingSoLong
March 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I've met hairdressers that used to tell me how bad Pantene was, then try to sell me their own salon products that really weren't much different in terms of formula.

There are a few fans of Pantene Ice Shine here, and I'm one of them, it makes my hair look great (but going sulphate and cone free did not work at all for me, so YMMV).

I am a long time user of Pantene. I have been using Pantene since I tried it the first time and it did amazing things to my hair. I would say...18 years now. Maybe more.

I have used different formulas of theirs over the years and I currently use Ice Shine. Their naturals line does nothing for me. I used to love "Smooth and Sleek" but they discontinued that.

Hair dressers (when I still went) always used to comment on how healthy and shiny my hair was then ask me what I used...when I would tell them, they would "yell" at me.

I have tried MANY times to switch products, usually for no other reason than "Pantene is bad". Nothing else I have tried makes my hair manageable.

Now I can use various shampoos, but it is the conditioner I have to have. I do not recommend their S&C in one. But then I am an opponent of CWC and that is basically was a S&C in one does. It does horrible things to my hair.

What can I say, my hair likes cones and sulfates. Whatever. My hair is healthy and people say it is pretty. So....

Ambystoma
March 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I tried a damage repair shampoo/condish trial pack by Pantene (it's not around anymore I don't think) back when I was growing out some pretty serious bleach damage and in the shower I noticed I had more loose hairs on my hands than usual, and once it dried I had some breakage (not an enormous amount but still enough to make me go shudder:) that looked like it had snapped off at the exact point where the virgin hair ended. Despite the fact that yep, that hair was in very bad condition to begin with and I had used their deep conditioning masque in the past with no problems, nothing else had caused the chemically treated hair to snap off like that so I threw the tester out and haven't touched the brand since. The whole animal testing thing is just another reason not to ever try it again!

LindainCO
March 8th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I won't use anything tested on animals.

Panth
March 12th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Works for me. Despite having fine hair, it's the only thing that I've found that works really well - any of the S&C formulations for fine hair or the shampoo from that with coconut oil as oil shampoo (I have phases when I use one or the other - winter requires S&C as the oil shampoo doesn't stop static). Nothing else ('cone free, SLS-free, organic, 'natural', whatever) works as well. Quite frankly, I don't have the time, money or patience to go through every S&C in the shop just in case another one is a tiny bit better.

As far as the whole 'shedding' and 'breakage' thing - maybe for other people, but I've got to knee with fine hair on just Pantene so it can't be that bad for me.

(Provisos: the S&C all in one stuff - awful. Do not recommend that stuff. It's basically just shampoo. There is no conditioning. Also, with Pantene clarifying is often necessary. However, I only needed it very occasionally until I moved to a super-hard water area.)

cranberrymoonz
March 12th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I just read that P&G test on animals. I will be telling that to everyone who uses Head&Shoulders, Wella or Pantene in the future. I HATE these brands because all of their shampoos contain sodium lauryl sulfate which is highly drying. I've seen a few who have wrecked up their hair with wella professional shampoo (Which cost 100 euro/liter here). On the other hand, I've used a Pantene hair mask before TLHC times, when I was still using SLES, and it made my hair soft and shiny. Those masks contain a ton of silicone, which some people might like.

melusine963
March 12th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Normally I don't use sulphates or cones, but this week I used my sister's Pantene shampoo for the first time in about a year. It's made my hair freak out like nothing else has in a long time. My hair went very tangly, and only copious amounts of leave-in coconut oil have allowed me to detangle it without causing too much damage. I'm not sure if it's the sudden change in water (although I think the water here is actually softer than my water at home), or if the sulphates are simply too drying for my hair to handle these days.