PDA

View Full Version : Waxy Buildup - Help Requested

Demi-Plum
February 27th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Approximately a year ago I had a period of time where my scalp decided to go a little crazy and developed this lovely waxy buildup that felt and looked gross. I was able to get rid of it with multiple washes using clarifying shampoo. I don't remember how long or how many washes it was, but it went away and that was that. That was the first time ever in my life that that had happened (or at least that I had noticed). I started taking better care of my hair a few months before that happened. And all was well until....
It came back! This time I realized what it was before it got really bad or disgusting and clarified it multiple times. It seemed to go away, but my ends seem to not be happy with me for doing that even though I've been oiling them (I have thin/fine hair so I have to be careful how much I oil and all - I also wash my hair almost every day, I need to). Well it's been about a day or so and now it's back and almost at full steam too!
My problem is I'm not completely sure A) what's causing it (beside maybe the weather or my hormones or something?) and B) is there another more natural way to fix this without so much clarifying and drying my ends? I tried rinsing my hair with roobios tea after I washed, but my hair didn't seem too happy with that idea at this time. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful for them. I've never had this problem before I started actually taking better care of my hair so I'm a little stumped, especially since it seemed to be taken care of and then came right back. So tomorrow my hair will be up in a ponytail or the spidermom bun!

Thank you to all of you who offer any help!

**:!: Thank you for all the advice you guy have given me. I bought a "teasing" BBB yesterday (it was the only full BBB they had and it was soft bristled so it will work for just the top of my scalp to help spread out the oils) and I will start trying to use it a little bit each day. I also decided to do an exfoliation scrub and and ACV rinse last night. They seemed to have worked their magic because last night my hair felt silky and smooth after the wash! I'm not saying that I won't need a couple of treatments of this though, I will do it for a couple days more just to be safe.

The exfoliation scrub I used is this one: http://www.livestrong.com/article/88593-homemade-scalp-scrub/. It was very easy to make and all the ingredients were on hand. I decided to add Argon oil to it and it was a lovely scrub.

I also did an ACV Herb rinse last night. I never realized how well ACV combines with steeped herbs. And the smell of the herbs really helps to cut through the vinegar smell. A defiant favorite rinse now! Being dark haired I used Rosemary, Parsley, and Sage (all dried). They have suggestions for all hair colors though: http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/natural-hair-care-product.html.

akilina
February 27th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Is it possible one of your shampoos or conditioners is causing this? That is basically the only real thing I can think of. All pantene products, and all of the herbal essences shampoos do this to me. Strangely enough, the conditioners don't do the same to my scalp.

I have seen some products so bad to the point that they will leave your hair feeling this way even right after clarifying.
Perhaps using some baking soda with a different clarifying shampoo wash on the scalp only would help?

I am not 100% sure why this is so reoccurring. I will add though, that when I was using rooibos tea on my scalp for growth it got a very very nasty build up even after one use. I was spraying it directly on my scalp though.

Mommyof4
February 27th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Do you have a boar bristle brush? Maybe brush for a good bit to spread all of it throughout your hair down to your ends, before you wash your scalp? Apple Cider Vinegar rinses always leave my scalp clean but not dried out.. If all else fails, you can always try dropping tea tree oil onto your scalp and brushing it with a boar bristle brush or massaging in....

Nedertane
February 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
When you say you wash every day, how are you washing? Are you using S&C, no-poo, CO? In particular, if you CO wash, I would suggest taking a look to see if your conditioner has any type of 'cones, because they contribute to buildup more quickly. Even if you aren't CO washing, I'd take a look at whatever products you're using, especially the ones that go on your scalp (I think I've heard that shampoos sometimes even contain 'cones, but I may be wrong). I love my cones, and maybe you do too, but I freely admit that they have their drawbacks.

Alternatively, what is your water like? I don't know if hard water/minerals create that particular waxy feeling buildup, but it's worth checking. As for anything else you mentioned (hormones, weather), it could be possible, but more info is needed.

As for a less drying cure, I'm afraid I don't know. I could suggest lemon, ACV, or baking soda, but those may not be any less drying.

Hope any of this helps!

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'd clarify then try a new shampoo and conditioner. Maybe even a different oil routine.

Demi-Plum
February 28th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Do you have a boar bristle brush? Maybe brush for a good bit to spread all of it throughout your hair down to your ends, before you wash your scalp? Apple Cider Vinegar rinses always leave my scalp clean but not dried out.. If all else fails, you can always try dropping tea tree oil onto your scalp and brushing it with a boar bristle brush or massaging in....

I do not have a BBB. The only thing that could be considered a "brush" in my routine is a tangle teaser. I personally never cared for the way BBB work, I never though they detangled enough, but I guess it could be worth a shot right? I was going to Ulta today anyway so maybe I'll pick up an inexpensive or small one to give it a try.

I don't have tea tree oil on me right now, I have coconut (which I never put on my scalp because it's too oily for my hair) and Argan oil, which I also only use from ears down. I only occasionally use a shine booster from Chi. And that I apply very little to my scalp.

I do have ACV on hand and baking soda so I might go ahead and give one of those a try tonight. I've done ACV rises before, but that was for excess oil, not waxy buildup. I have never tried baking soda, but it can't hurt to try it out.

Demi-Plum
February 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM
When you say you wash every day, how are you washing? Are you using S&C, no-poo, CO? In particular, if you CO wash, I would suggest taking a look to see if your conditioner has any type of 'cones, because they contribute to buildup more quickly. Even if you aren't CO washing, I'd take a look at whatever products you're using, especially the ones that go on your scalp (I think I've heard that shampoos sometimes even contain 'cones, but I may be wrong). I love my cones, and maybe you do too, but I freely admit that they have their drawbacks.

Alternatively, what is your water like? I don't know if hard water/minerals create that particular waxy feeling buildup, but it's worth checking. As for anything else you mentioned (hormones, weather), it could be possible, but more info is needed.

As for a less drying cure, I'm afraid I don't know. I could suggest lemon, ACV, or baking soda, but those may not be any less drying.

Hope any of this helps!

I use Pantiene products. I have for most of my life honestly and never had any problems with them before. I'm not even using a new kind of Pantiene. I shampoo my scalp and condition from ears down. And I don't believe that we have really hard or soft water either. Maybe I'll try my mother's shampoo tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Like I said, this has never happened before and I haven't changed areas or anything. I did a stint with Cymbalta for a few months and recently got off of it, but I don't think that has anything to do with it honestly. I also had mono last summer and my health hasn't been the best since (I get pretty much everything that I can catch now).

I don't know what else to tell ya all. I'm not at my whits end just yet, I was just surprised that it decided to come back full steam after I thought I had taken care of it, and thought maybe someone knows why this is happening so that I can stop it from happening again.

Does anyone know a good way to exfoliate the scalp? I have been itching a bit when I wash (I actually run my hands though my hair when I wash and usually not much during the regular day, and realize then that I'm a bit itchy). Maybe my scalp pours are clogged and in need of a good exfoliation. Would sugar and olive oil do the trick? I know olive oil can help to clarify too.

Jenny31557
February 28th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Have you looked at your diet ? What you are eating might have something to do with it, maybe ?

renia22
February 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM
There was a similar thread topic recently with some good info in it, maybe this will help:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110630

Khiwanean
February 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I do not have a BBB. The only thing that could be considered a "brush" in my routine is a tangle teaser. I personally never cared for the way BBB work, I never though they detangled enough, but I guess it could be worth a shot right? I was going to Ulta today anyway so maybe I'll pick up an inexpensive or small one to give it a try.
BBBs aren't meant to detangle. They are for smoothing out your hair and distributing oils. You'll want to use something else to detangle before you use a BBB.

embee
February 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I have tried baking soda an dit left my hair like straw for a LONG time. I was very unhappy, I couldn't get a comb through my hair without breakage that I could *hear*, so be careful... baking soda is not for everyone.

ACV well diluted will remove any soap or other leftovers pretty well. I used it with success when I lived where water was very soft and rinsing was just about impossible.

Almost sounds like cradle-cap the way you describe it. I'd work with the tangle-teaser to scritch the scalp.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 09:59 AM
maybe pantene changed an ingredient in the product, companies do that frequently. i dislike pantenes ingredient quality and ethics so i'm biased on this one. if not then maybe something in your diet or the water. sometimes my sebum gets a more waxy feel if i change my diet.

Demi-Plum
February 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
BBBs aren't meant to detangle. They are for smoothing out your hair and distributing oils. You'll want to use something else to detangle before you use a BBB.

Oh I know that and I would if I owned one, I just never really cared for the way BBB's work. I don't feel like I can do anything except brush straight down and it only "fixes the top coat and not the under coat". But that's just me personally. If I want smooth hair I use a very narrow toothed comb. Everyone has their likes and all.

Thanks Renia22! I'll check it out. I'm not really worried about this, it's just annoying and something I don't need to have on my plate right now.

I don't believe I have changed my diet recently. I rarely ever eat fast food or drink soda (only once in a while if I have an upset stomach or have a really bad craving). I even drink almost all my tea without sugar or cream, I like it strong and I like it pure. I also usually eat asian style foods because that's what I prefer to cook and eat.

Yikes Embee! I think that settles which one I plan on rinsing with tonight! I'll try the ACV. I know this won't be a once and done thing.