PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Redhead Rebel
February 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I conditioned my length last night, rinsed it out with cold water then put it in a bun using satin scrunchies. This morning I took the bun out, ran my fingers through it once and 28 hairs fell out straight away!!! did it afew more times and 18 more hairs fell out!

End of last year I only lost around 10 hairs a day but my hair has just started to shed like crazy! I haven't changed any part of my routine so I have no idea whats going on and my hair is starting to get really thin. I have noticed quite alot of baby hairs but quite afew of them seem to be falling out too :( .

Sharysa
February 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM
It's most likely a seasonal thing--either you're experiencing a heavier shed since it's starting to warm up, or your hair's shedding more because it's getting ready for spring growth.

And sometimes, you shed more because your scalp is trying to get used to the weight of your longer hair.

Of course, that's assuming you haven't made sudden changes in your hair routine.

Naiadryade
February 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Sharysa, since Redhead Rebel's location is NZ (which I would assume is New Zealand), she's actually going into the fall now.

It still could be a seasonal thing... but if it hasn't happened before and it's enough to make you notice your hair is thinning, I'd expect it's more than that.

Have you been stressed out lately? Stress can cause hair fall.

Some people also say they shed a lot when they let conditioner touch their scalp. Could this be your culprit?

Redhead Rebel
February 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Sharysa, since Redhead Rebel's location is NZ (which I would assume is New Zealand), she's actually going into the fall now.

It still could be a seasonal thing... but if it hasn't happened before and it's enough to make you notice your hair is thinning, I'd expect it's more than that.

Have you been stressed out lately? Stress can cause hair fall.

Some people also say they shed a lot when they let conditioner touch their scalp. Could this be your culprit?

Thanks for your help

Yeah Summer is just about to end here in New Zealand. I get stressed out easily but have had no more stress than normal recently and haven't had this problem before.
I haven't let conditioner touch my scalp for the last 5 months as I did notice that made me shed more.

Are there any vitamins I could be lacking that could cause it? or could hormones cause it?

jeanniet
February 28th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I usually have a heavy shed in late spring and then another, lighter one in fall. So it's still possible you're experiencing a seasonal shed. If you're really concerned and haven't had blood work done lately, ask your doctor to run a blood panel on you, just to be sure.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 03:39 AM
I agree to do the lab work to be safe.

Ishje
February 28th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I have heard that an average amount of hair to loose is 100 hairs a day, so 28 is still quite low!
also when your hair is in a bun or braid it will fall out but not fall on the floor, so once you get the bun or braid out it might seem like there is more loss, because it all ends up in your hands.
and if hair get's longer it might seem like you loose more, because there is more hair because of the length (but I think you actually count the strands so that might not apply to you)
if you are not sure about it I would also suggest you should go to a doctor, just to make sure what is going on.

Teazel
March 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM
For the last few years I've shed outrageously in autumn; it sucks. You could be developing a similar pattern. If you're really concerned you could count every strand you shed in a day, it might be less than you think, and as Ishje said, losing 100 strands a day isn't unusual. If you've been shedding very little lately your hair might just be catching up with its average. :flower: