PDA

View Full Version : Strong impulsive urge to chop! Ugh :(

bunnylake
February 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM
For the last few days I've had a really strong urge to cut my hair. I love long hair, and I have not reached my goal of classic length yet, but lately my hair just seems difficult to manage. Oils just sit on top of it making it look greasy no matter how little I use. The ends are getting dry and tangly even after clarifying/moisturizing and a recent trim. I don't think I look good with it up so it's normally down, getting in the way of things and tangling throughout the day. I'm just not enjoying MY long hair lately... I don't know what to do. I love long hair, I want super long hair... but I also miss the easy and free feeling of having shorter hair. What to do!?

Kaelee
February 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Wait two weeks before you decide to cut any. You're in NY and knowing the weather around here, I'm betting it's really dry there too. Is your hair really dry from the weather? Maybe you need some deep conditioning.

jillosity
February 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM
key word you used was "impulse"! it will pass, maybe check out some hairdo videos on youtube to find some interesting styles. Wait a while, even if you just do a trim on the crunchy bits or you might get carried away

Mandie
February 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Two week rule!

You mentioned oils "sitting on top" -- is it possible your hair is actually not wanting oil anymore because it's hydrated enough? What happens if you skip the oil for a week and see if that helps? It's possible your hair might not need it as much anymore.

MidnightMoon
February 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
About 3 years ago I felt the same way, and went from +tailbone to BSL...and two weeks later I was basically crying over my lost hair haha.
If I knew better, I would have just trimmed a couple of inches and then go back liking my hair long again, even with all the inconveniences.
Some days I feel like my hair is too thin to look good, oily, dry, that everything about me is ugly and boring, etc. Then there are some days that I see myself in pic and think I look awesome, so I learnt to let those days go by and just focus on something else.
If your hair feels bad today I'd recommend trimming 2 or 3 inches (not more), washing it and maybe putting on some natural conditioning treatment on it.
Tomorrow try a new updo or just wear nice makeup, it could be all you need.
Another thing is, in my case, having shorther hair wouldn't make it less thin or flyaway, it would just be the same thing but short, which imo is less original and looks even worse.

bunnylake
February 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys!
I gave myself a small trim... about half an inch. I washed and skipped the oiling so we'll see how that goes.

Remember Claire Danes in My So-Called Life? HER HAIR. I always loved it. Ugh, so torn!!

Leoslaire
February 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Do an apple cider vinegar rinse. I've done acidic rinses for my hair for two years now, ever since it accidentally got way over-processed. I thought I was going to have to cut it all off and start over. The acidic rinse saved my hair

bunnylake
February 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Oops double post

LaurelSpring
February 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Every time I have felt this way and cut I have regretted it. It always happens in the spring or right before spring for some reason. Last March I took off quite a bit and added layers. I was initially happy with it but got really upset a couple of weeks later and still regret it. Recently I had another episode and took off at least 2 inches or more. I am still kicking myself. Especially for those layers. If I hadn't done that I could probably sit on it by now and it would be thick. Now it is thin from the layers and is going to take forever to get back to what it was two years ago. As you can see I am still upset about it. The only problem is that you don't realize it until after its done. I wish I had just worked more with it when I was feeling frustrated and got over that plateau. I have found that when I am reaching a new length that I have never had before there is a transitional time when you have to get use to it and that can take some adjustments in routine and styling. Its a bit of a learning curve but worth the effort I think. Hang in there!!

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2013, 10:13 PM
It could be your hair is hydrated enough it's not needing oil or it might be build up.

Elanadi
February 27th, 2013, 11:11 PM
When I hate my hair, I do a bs/acv wash and rinse, and love my hair again. Don't cut it, you've worked so hard to get it to this point!

Fufu
February 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Don't chop unless you really mean it and you know you won't regret.

How about tying or bun your hair up these few days? Learn a few new updo styles?

Jenny31557
February 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Do you use cones? If not you could try them again to see if that helps with the tangling issue and help you enjoy your hair again but don't chop it, that's a last resort. Hope this helps

SnowWhite
February 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Wait until you reach your goal, then cut it if you want to :)

Try changing something in your hair routine? This routine definitely doesn't work for you.. I hardly ever oil my roots. If I do, they get greasy.
Sometimes I oil the ends daily, when my hair needs it. Do you use cones? Might not work for you.
I do think it would be good to try new things.
Buy a new hairstick or learn new styles... That might help you overcome this stage.

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Every time I have felt this way and cut I have regretted it. It always happens in the spring or right before spring for some reason. Last March I took off quite a bit and added layers. I was initially happy with it but got really upset a couple of weeks later and still regret it. Recently I had another episode and took off at least 2 inches or more. I am still kicking myself. Especially for those layers. If I hadn't done that I could probably sit on it by now and it would be thick. Now it is thin from the layers and is going to take forever to get back to what it was two years ago. As you can see I am still upset about it. The only problem is that you don't realize it until after its done. I wish I had just worked more with it when I was feeling frustrated and got over that plateau. I have found that when I am reaching a new length that I have never had before there is a transitional time when you have to get use to it and that can take some adjustments in routine and styling. Its a bit of a learning curve but worth the effort I think. Hang in there!!

So much this, every word of it.

After a certain length my hair stopped liking oils (cones too), and then a bit further on it stopped liking beloved leave ins too. The product or oil residue somehow makes it tanglier and dryer. It took about 6 months to figure out why all my fave oils and products were making my hair horrible.

Another thing is thinking about hair as being carefree when shorter... I think this is an illusion. After LHC I noticed I take much more notice of strand quality, feel, shine and texture and being more mindful over methods such as how I brush each day. Before I'd only care about shine, smoothing and body and appearance over health. My point being that shorter hair wasn't carefree, I was just careless. When you think about it, shorter hair take a lot more styling to lay right and in my care mechanical and styling damage is the worst.

I've been thinking about cutting from hip+ to mbl blunt after seeing dawn from buffy and cher in clueless but I know I'd regret it. If I continue on I can have u at bcl/tbl which is the ultra dream.

jessa
March 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I know you said oils dont seem to be working. I have kinda had the same thing where I put coconnut on damp or dry hair and it becomes stringer. I recently tried a hot oil treatment and my hair felt great after washing it out afterwards and I didnt need to add any oils when drying.

door72067
March 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys!
I gave myself a small trim... about half an inch. I washed and skipped the oiling so we'll see how that goes.

Remember Claire Danes in My So-Called Life? HER HAIR. I always loved it. Ugh, so torn!!

I've posted it here before...every time I see pics of her hair from that show I want to cut and color

every. time.

MORE
March 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
bunnylake, I am in a similar place right now. I really, really, really don't want to cut it; but at the same time it's put me down a lot lately. It's finally stating to feel long, but it is all of a sudden so dry and tangles so easily. My virgin hair has grown quite a bit so it's impossible not to compare the difference... But I know I would regret it way to much if I cut it, so I won't, but I share your pain because it's really not fun to feel unhappy about the hair.

Thanks you guys for bringing ACV up, I didn't think about that it might be buildup. ACV has worked for me before so maybe that will help again.

MORE
March 10th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Woho, I have awesome news! I added a little ACV to my rooibos- and rosemary rinse and voila - problem solved!:D

I don't know if that means I had build-up or just the wrong pH-value in my hair, but either way it made my hair soft again! Oh dear, I am so glad I don't need to be thinking about cutting it anymore... I really hope you will find a solution as simple as I did!