PDA

View Full Version : Best way to put your hair up for bed?

Leoslaire
February 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Sleeping seems to wreck my hair. I put it in a ponytail when I go to bed, but that doesn't stop it from becoming tangled when I sleep. Worse yet, my scalp seems to crank up the oil production which makes my hair feel matted and greasy when I wake up.

Please help!

PrincessIdril
February 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I always braid before bed, but other girls here swear by buns and silk caps. All 3 methods help avoid tangles :)

Syaoransbear
February 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I braid it and put it in a silk sleep hat. It looks like Link's hat from zelda lol. The difference is pretty substantial. If I don't use it, by morning a lot of my hair is pulled out of the braid and my braid looks like a big lump of fuzz and sometimes there are knots. When I do use it, my braid looks as though I just braided it.

Leoslaire
February 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info Syaoransbear and PrincessIdril!

Looks like it is time to drag out my sewing machine and make some silk caps. I'm going to go for braiding it too but I'll probably have poodle-hair in the morning because I'm naturally wavy already \o/ I'm OK with poodle hair as long as its not tangled.

rtree721
February 27th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Another option, instead of doing a regular braid, you can do a rope braid (I like french rope braids). In the morning your hair is wavy but without the tight crimps of a regular braid. I don't have a silk cap but I do have a hair net and a hankerchief, that seems to work OK. Another one I do is a twisted bun really high up on my head.

Mandie
February 27th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I rarely tangle, and ponytails tangle the daylights out of my hair. Some people do a sock bun on top of the head, I tried that and had awful scalp pain the next day so it's risky if you're prone to that sort of thing. Braids leave braid waves so I do them sometimes but don't always love the waves, most of what I do is just leave it loose and toss it up over the back of my pillow. The tangles are minimal.

Leoslaire
February 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Can you give me a good "how to" reference for rope braiding? I'd love to have the waves without the crimping.

neko_kawaii
February 27th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Here is TorrinPaige (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw) on rope braiding.

Mandie
February 27th, 2013, 03:39 PM
TorrinPaige (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw) taught me, she's an awesome resource.

(ha, neko_kawaii beat me to it)

HylianGirl
February 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I also do french/dutch braids or a bun on top of my head, depending on how I want my hair to look like on the floowing day. My hais is 2b, and when I tried rope braids it seems like my hair got straighter. Although, that doesn't seem to happen to other people... kinda upsets 'cause I love rope braid's waves...

midbackorbust
February 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I just fold it over into a bun on the top of my head :/ it works great for me

turquoisedays
February 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I braid my hair, sometimes using a paranda.

Pantsless Amy
February 27th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I have a super short hair stick and I use it to put a bun right on top of my head. Super comfy and easy. Sometimes I'll wear my "sleeping bun" all day.

akilina
February 27th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I either put a pony tail on the very top of my head and wake up with perfect hair in the morning, Or do a cinnabun close to the very top so its comfortable and I secure it with a DPN fork! They are so perfect for wearing to bed. Ive only had it fall out one time. And...I think there was a good reason it fell out ;)

Other than that, I try to mix it up every night. Some nights I wear it just down, some nights I put it in a low pony tail with two hair ties down the length. Another is a braid at the nape secured at the end.

I still don't feel like I have perfected my sleepy hair styles. All of them seem to have an issue, aside from a cinnabun secured with a DPN fork.
If I do use hair ties, I try to use gentle ones..like big soft scrunchies, or these funky little elastic like ones that have a tie in them. Some nights I just don't care. I do have a satin pillow case, and its the real deal so that in its self is much more gentle than using a cotton one.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'd try to do a bun.

sparrowswing
February 27th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I do a bun on top of my head. 95% of the time it's just a simple nautilus bun (I like to use a crochet hook to hold it, because they're sturdy and cheap, but that's just me). Braids give me a bunch of tangles in the unbraided portions of hair. If it's an English braid (or two), I get tons of tangles at the back of my head and around my neck. It's not as bad if it's a French/Dutch braid, but it still happens, and I wake up with frizzy, crimped hair. Braids also have a tendency to try and strangle me in my sleep. :/

Synnovea
February 27th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I rock a loose french braid without tying it off (I don't want the repetitive sawing of hair from the elastic), and my hair generally stays put this way. Making the braid loose keeps my hair from getting waves the next day and is also comfortable to sleep in.

Becky9679
February 27th, 2013, 11:48 PM
My sleep cap is a pair of inside-out silk pyjama bottoms. My hair goes along one of the legs so I don't need to braid or do anything else with it, it's always completely tangle free in the morning (and considering how tangle-prone my hair usually is that's pretty amazing!). For me, this is a lot more comfortable than braiding, bunning, or any other method of putting it up for bed.

kittengirl
February 28th, 2013, 12:05 AM
My sleep cap is a pair of inside-out silk pyjama bottoms. My hair goes along one of the legs so I don't need to braid or do anything else with it, it's always completely tangle free in the morning (and considering how tangle-prone my hair usually is that's pretty amazing!). For me, this is a lot more comfortable than braiding, bunning, or any other method of putting it up for bed.

That is a really good idea. How do you get it to stay on your head?

Becky9679
February 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM
That is a really good idea. How do you get it to stay on your head?

I put a headband around the 'waist' and it stays put the entire night! I can't take credit for the idea though, I stole it from WaitingSoLong ;)

spirals
February 28th, 2013, 01:01 AM
A braid or two works best for me. A bun is uncomfortable, loose equals tangles, and a pony comes loose. I do tie it off in the same place every time, but as it grows out the place will change. I may start doing a paranda, though.

Achlys
February 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I used to do a bun on top of my head, but doing so would make my hair wavy. Now I have discovered that putting a wide slippery scarf on my head and securing it at the nape and down the length like a caterpillar braid works great. And it keeps my hair straight and silky. I might need to use bobby pins in the front to keep it in place.

indiana
February 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I slather on shea butter before braiding it to sleep. Sometimes I do the bun on the top of my head. The key for me to avoid tangles is the shea butter. I wash each morning since I get sooo greasy (even without the shea). Keeping the moisturizer on all night helps me to comb it out before my wash and keeps it from tangling so bad during my wash.