PDA

View Full Version : tying hair in a knot

lynnala
March 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I do this all the time, I just tie my hair in a knot and let it go at that. Is this a big hair no-no?

longhairedfairy
March 17th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I do that sometimes. I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be a big problem as long as you don't pull on it really hard and as long as it doesn't tangle it.

Hypnotica
March 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'm impressed that you can do it.....my hair would only unravel itself in an instant.

chloeishere
March 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'm impressed that you can do it.....my hair would only unravel itself in an instant.

Ditto for me, I've tried it in the past but my hair just immediately slips back out in half a second.

I don't think there's anything innately harmful about it, several wrapped styles, in my opinion, are kind of a knot augmented with a hairstick. If your hair has enough grip to hold it, and you don't get tangles or friction damage from doing it, it seems like a great solution to me... and one I wish I could do.:knit:

jojo
March 18th, 2008, 03:42 AM
i was reading your post doing just that! i am a hair twisting knotter too, we should start a club!

MerryKat
March 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I do this and secure with a stick for a quick easy up do. As long as you are not yanking or pulling on your hair I can't see it doing damage.

Curlsgirl
March 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I think some hairtypes can do it with no problem. Mine knots and tangles too easily when I do it.

MemSahib
March 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM
A while back I mentioned to my husband that some people just tie their hair into to a knot for a style but that I couldn't do it. See?, I said, and proceeded to try it. Naturally it slipped right out. When I turned around and saw his face he said he was cringing inside thinking I would destroy my hair and have to cut it out. Ha. No such luck.

This is why I seem to need an extra year's growth on everybody else to do the same styles.

AprilElf
March 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Mine can stay knotted for a while, although it will eventually get looser and looser unless I secure it with a hairstick. I knot a high pony tail, and often wind the ends around and tuck them in too. I knotted a low pony tail once, but didn't like the fuzzy bush of hair that my ends became.

Anje
March 18th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Many of the wrapped buns we do are actually knots, you know, some with draw loops, others with the ends pulled all the way through. So in that vein, I tie my hair into a knot several days each week.

Saoirse
March 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
My hair is too straight to stay knotted for more than a few minutes, but I do it sometimes. It's cool! :)

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
my quick I don't have a tool updo is basically a knot- I make the loop loose and pull the ends through multiple times then wrap whats left around the base of it.

Shell
March 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Many of the wrapped buns we do are actually knots, you know, some with draw loops, others with the ends pulled all the way through. So in that vein, I tie my hair into a knot several days each week.

Yep, me too! If I do it right, it will stay on its own, but I prefer hairsticks. Hairsticks are pretty.

Anje
March 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Swirly buns (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1084704126/The+Swirly+Bun) (yes, a knot!) will hold on me for a while without anything, but just about everything else needs some form of pin or stick to hold for more than a minute or two, especially if I want it near my scalp.

Keiera
March 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
My hair will not stay knotted unless there's something there to hold it in place. It slips right out, sadly.

homeschoolmama
March 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've tried this, but my hair slips right out too. Glad to know I'm not alone in that!
love,
mom

Shell
March 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Swirly buns (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1084704126/The+Swirly+Bun) (yes, a knot!) will hold on me for a while without anything, but just about everything else needs some form of pin or stick to hold for more than a minute or two, especially if I want it near my scalp.

Instead of leaving a loop, pull that hair all the way through, then tuck it into the tightest part of the twist. Voila--it stays up!

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
My hair will stay up for a good long time this way. It's a little too short still for it to work really well but when it was longer (long enough that I could pull the ends through more than once) it would stay.

Wanita
March 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I always wondered: is this how a 'bunny tail' style is started?

Áine
March 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Would love to wear an easy knot, but I've tried to do it many times, and it falls right out.

cuddledumplin
March 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I do that too. My hair stays pretty well. Sometimes when I'm doing housework I just do a bun without any pins or elastics (or anything), and it stays up for hours. That's the best thing about my hair.

vindo
March 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Aside from the fact that mine would slip right out :lol: I think its a cool updo. As long as you dont tie it too hard your not rubbing against the hairscales so there should be no damage.

lynnala
March 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I guess the reason my hair stays tied in a knot is that it's very fine and has no weight! Which is one of the things that bugs me about my hair, but now at least I can appreciated it for that fact!

SHADOWSCODE46
March 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I love tying my hair in a knot, I think it looks pretty cool, but unfortunately as soon as I let the ends go, it unravels in 0.5 seconds. When I put a knot up I am just careful not to rub my hair backwards (against the natural direction of the cuticle layer), too much.

I am going to try holding it with a stick or a clip where the knot ends so it doesn't slide through next time. Maybe when it my hair gets longer it would be able to hold by itself. I love the way a simple knot looks in the hair. :)

thetokenlady
March 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'll tie my hair in a knot and leave the end sticking out and secure with a hairstick. If I loop the loose ends back around and through it'll stay all by itself for a while. I like to do the first version of the knot when my hair is freshly washed and the ends are curly.

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
i think the act of pulling the knot tighter would lift cuticle scales so i don't do it myself. I'm terrified of teasing, and knotting looks like teasing to me!!!!

Teacherbear
March 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I haven't read all of the replies, but found the topic interesting.

Years ago, Dulci and Snippet and I met. Dulci said she tied her hair in a knot and it stayed all day. So we each tried it. We noticed something that I wonder if others have noticed:

Dulci has curly hair and her hair stayed in the knot where she put it, all day.
Snippet has straight hair and her hair flipped out of the knot with in 1 minute.
My hair is wavy and the knot slid down the length a bit, but it stopped and would probably stay many hours, if not all day.

I'm wondering if anyone else notices that curly hair stays longer and straight hair flips out of the knot.

lynnala
March 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Years ago, Dulci and Snippet and I met. Dulci said she tied her hair in a knot and it stayed all day. So we each tried it. We noticed something that I wonder if others have noticed:

Snippet has straight hair and her hair flipped out of the knot with in 1 minute.
My hair is wavy and the knot slid down the length a bit, but it stopped and would probably stay many hours, if not all day.

I'm wondering if anyone else notices that curly hair stays longer and straight hair flips out of the knot.My hair is not a wavy as yours, teacherbear, but it does what yours does. It kind of slips down to the first wave and then stays there.

Shell
March 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I always wondered: is this how a 'bunny tail' style is started?

Some people do it this way, but others have a more complicated technique. Unfortunately the instructions for the more complicated one are on the old boards.

nicolezoie
March 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM
About the only things I can think of that would/could cause damage:

1. Wearing the knot-bun in the same place over and over (much like the damage caused by a ponytail in the same spot).

2. I'd get some breakage in the section of hair that got pulled through the center of the knot if I didn't detangle prior to tying it.

3. I'd also get some damage from whatever tool I had handy to stuff through it to keep it in place.

Other than those, I've tied my hair in a knot pretty much since I could tie my hair in a knot! It's the first updo I ever did, and the only one I knew how to do for many many years.

I'm a wavy, and my knot-bun never stays put where I initially put it unless I stuff a stick of some sort through it. But, it WILL stay in and eventually settle wherever it finds a "platform" to sit on, and eventually willl travel down till it falls out.

chotee
March 21st, 2008, 06:20 AM
Mine slips out too but i started braiding my hair and then put it in a knot. It stays up for the whole day :smile:..

chotee

Kittee
March 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM

I'm wondering if anyone else notices that curly hair stays longer and straight hair flips out of the knot.

I was just about to post this.

My curly hair stays up all day in a knot. One of my "default" updo's if I am out and about and say its windy and I need to quickly put up my hair or go mad from it whipping in my face... lol.

HeatherAngela
March 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Straight hair and I can't get it to stay. As soon as I move my head it falls instantly out.

rchorr
March 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat if my hair would actually STAY that way! And I'm a curly/wavy! You're lucky :-)

RCHORR'

naomimcc
March 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
My hair is poker straight...I put it in a knot and then wrap a scrunchie around it to help it stay. Works awesome on third day (+) hair. Not first or second day though...too slippery.

aprilmay
March 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
My hair won't stay like that for very long. Right now, mine is in a loose, low bun wrapped with a black band. I wanted it back because I was getting ready to wash the dishes, but got distracted here instead!

kissedbyfyre
March 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have straight, thick, heavy hair. I often do buns that are similar to knots when I can't find a hair tie or hair stick if my hair is driving my crazy. It'll only stay up for an hour or so, but it's enough for me if I need my hair up. I just can't be that active or it'll fall right back down and it usually takes me about 3 tries before it stays.

Pegasus
March 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
I think a knot is probably much healthier than using an elastic or scrunchy. If I could get mine to stay in a knot, I'd do it more often. I can't get them really tight, either. I've seen people do it on videos, but I just can't imitate it.

<sigh>