PDA

View Full Version : Haircolour experts, please help me! Haircolour disaster!!

Irish Fae
February 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I know the experts won't have much sympathy for me because I did dye my hair at home using boxed dye... I know, I know... I shouldn't have!! I definitely regret it. Usually I am fairly happy with Natural Instincts, though.

My current haircolour is several shades darker than my natural haircolour. I also like to add a bit of a reddish tint to it (but nothing too bright or extreme). I had about an inch of new growth that was lighter than the rest of my hair, so I decided to dye it tonight with a medium brown colour that had some reddish tones.

Instant disaster! My roots are bright, fire-engine red! The rest of my hair is DARK brown! I should have known better and feel like an idiot. I was impulsive and wanted a change, but this is definitely not the kind of change I wanted!!!!

I did use semi-permanent dye. I haven't used a permanent dye in several years. I can live with the dark brown haircolour, but I definitely can't be seen anywhere without a hat until I fix the bright red roots. I am terrified of damaging my hair. It is nearly at my goal length. I don't want to colour all of it again. I did oil the length before applying colour, but I am kind of freaking out right now about damage. What if I ruin my hair and have to cut it all off when I am nearly at my goal length?!!! Someone please tell me that I am freaking out unnecessarily! My hair feels fine and I am gentle with it other than the dye.

Okay, I'm rambling. Question one: Can I somehow tone down the hot roots and fix them by applying colour to just the root area? What kind of toner should I look for?

Question two: Will my hair survive fixing it after I have just coloured it? What can I do to baby it?

Question three: Will I ever learn that I need to stop messing with boxed dye???!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

Thank you to anyone who has read this entire message. I am having an awful night!!

Alex Lou
February 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Deep breath! :)

You will be fine. You haven't bleached and you want a darker color than what you accidentally got, so you don't have to bleach to fix it! Dying over the red with dark brown will reduce the appearance of the red and won't hurt your hair. If you used the red dye on the length of your hair, then you already have the red tint in your dark brown length, you just can't see it very well because of the dark brown. Your roots will look the same once you dye them brown.

Allychan
February 26th, 2013, 11:54 PM
**bump**

You are freaking out necessarily...I am sure it looks worse than the damage you think you've done.
And if it makes you feel any better I have been there many times before too, hopefully one of the hairdressers will see this post and give you some advice. You'll probably have to leave it alone for a couple of days anyways before you fix it. Best of Luck and if you do go to a hairdresser to have it fixed make sure you ask for a senior one not a newbie :)

akilina
February 27th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I think that you should go to a beauty supply store, and pick out a color you see fit for your roots.

I hate boxed dyes for many reasons. Going and getting yourself a tube of the appropriate demi permanent color, and a bottle of 10 volume developer is generally a MUCH much healthier option, as well as much cheaper than buying boxed dyes from drugstores.

Find a color that matches the length, and that is a neutral color (has the letter N after the level number, or even an ash to counteract the red) and just touch up your roots with it using a tint brush. No need to do your length again if you are okay with that color, and as long as you can get the colors to match.

What color did you use initially? Like..what was the number on the box?

ravenreed
February 27th, 2013, 12:03 AM
If it's semi-permanent won't it fade? Can you wash it a lot and see if it tones down at all? I would start with a clarifying wash and go from there.

Mesmerise
February 27th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Honestly, I don't think you'll wreck your hair. I never wrecked my hair permanently colouring with box dye (I mean, my hair wasn't perfect at all, but it wasn't wrecked either...), and you've been using semi permanent, which is even less damaging! I don't think it will hurt to re-dye your hair.

Irish Fae
February 28th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Thank you so much for the kind words and wonderful advice, everyone! I did a hot oil treatment on my hair yesterday and was able to wash out most of the dye that way! My hair felt very healthy and soft afterwards, and the red faded quite dramatically. I will wait a few days and then colour the roots as suggested by Akilina.

No more boxed dye for me!:doh:

lapushka
February 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Calm down. Try some updos to hide the roots somewhat. It will wash out. In the meantime try not to do anything more drastic than you already have. Don't bleach or dye over it, for example. Remember, it will wash out. Try washing every day, and it will be gone in no time!

jillosity
February 28th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Do the coconut oil pre-treat whichever way you go, just to be on the safe side damage wise. And, if you change your mind about coloring again it will also help remove more color, BONUS!

Kaelee
February 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I don't have any advice, but my mom did this once. She said she looked like a "bright shiny new copper penny!"

The only times I've died my hair (even with boxed dye) I didn't really care what color it turned out as long as it was some shade of red!

goldloli
February 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM
If it's semi-permanent won't it fade? Can you wash it a lot and see if it tones down at all? I would start with a clarifying wash and go from there.
yes this, didnt you say it was semi? so surely it will fade and you can just start again?

Irish Fae
March 2nd, 2013, 05:19 PM
Update: I followed Akilina's advice and coloured only my roots with a demi permanent dye and 10 volume developer. Everything has turned out exactly as I initially wanted. Thank you so much, everyone! I have learnt my lesson and managed to avoid damaging my hair, so I am happy!