PDA

View Full Version : Returning a conditioner bottle

selenir
February 26th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Lurking around LHC and other sites, I always seem to see some horror story about hairdressers plying their trades of evil on poor victims. ( :p ) Said victim occasionally leaves without paying in outrage/disgust/sadness/other strong emotions. On a related and not so extreme note, I got some conditioner yesterday and tried it under the shower today, but it was rather bad :X I used a big glob of it (maybe in total, a handful?) because it was rather thin.

I was thinking of returning it soon, but only having learned to be a goodie two shoes in my life, I'm a little hesitant to try and return a bottle I've used. I wouldn't really know the proper practises for returning an item, so could I ask for advice on whether it's usually okay to return it?

PS, silly power outage almost stole my post.

Natalia
February 26th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Im a good to shoes type too id use it to shave with instead of trying to return it. I get creeped out when i se ea clearly used item restocked you can also see if anyone on here wants it via swap board.

Islandgrrl
February 26th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I think it depends upon where the product was purchased and how the retailer stands behind the product they sell. If it's Wal-Mart, I wouldn't bother. But if it's an expensive product from a salon, I'd consider returning the product if it didn't work for me. Sometimes salon brands come with a satisfaction guarantee...sometimes the salon owner would prefer you return the product in exchange for something that will satisfy your needs...they would prefer having a happy customer to having no customer.

Natalia
February 26th, 2013, 11:31 PM
I think it depends upon where the product was purchased and how the retailer stands behind the product they sell. If it's Wal-Mart, I wouldn't bother. But if it's an expensive product from a salon, I'd consider returning the product if it didn't work for me. Sometimes salon brands come with a satisfaction guarantee...sometimes the salon owner would prefer you return the product in exchange for something that will satisfy your needs...they would prefer having a happy customer to having no customer.

Great point i didnt even think of that. I am a bargain hunter and you can find basically anything cheaper if you look hard enough ;). If its from a salon i agree ith trying to take it back.

minxe
February 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM
If it was expensive, from a salon, I'd try to return it. If it was inexpensive, from a store like Wal-Mart, I'd use it as a shaving cream.

Carolyn
February 27th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Call the store where you bought it and ask about their return policy. You will probably have to have the receipt to return it.

Chromis
February 27th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I'd return it explaining you were not satisfied with the product. As Carolyn mentions, you will likely need the receipt. If the store will not accept it, then call or write to the customer care number on the bottle. (And unless it is a close-outs store, I'd find a store that stands behind its products!)

Kaelee
February 27th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Agreed with what the others said. Some stores WILL allow you to return used products. They'll take a (small) loss (there's probably AT LEAST a 100% mark up on those) but some places (especially high-end) are willing to accept returns anyway.

You can also give it to someone...I have friends who are perfectly happy to receive half bottles of shampoo/lotion/etc that I don't use anymore.

palaeoqueen
February 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I would, and have in the past, return a product I wasn't happy with.

Vanille_
February 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Actually, if it was Walmart I would feel fine about returning it. That's kind of what I like about Walmart. They don't ask questions. They just give your money back and that's that. If I wanted to try a new product, I'd probably buy it from walmart just because I'm not afraid to return it.

selenir
February 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. It wasn't very expensive, it was just one of those drugstore ones. I'll try giving them a call, or if I'm lazy, just going in person. I just wouldn't want to have the feeling if the cashier goes "What????? That's nasty!" kind of thing.

I forgot to mention; what about salons? If a stylist botches your hair, is it acceptable for you to just leave without paying them?

Vanille_
February 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Unless you used a bunch, you don't need to tell them you used it. You could say you found a better deal somewhere else or you accidentally bought the wrong one. If they ask if you want to exchange, tell them you bought the correct one elsewhere.

Kaelee
February 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Unless you used a bunch, you don't need to tell them you used it. You could say you found a better deal somewhere else or you accidentally bought the wrong one. If they ask if you want to exchange, tell them you bought the correct one elsewhere.

I disagree with this...I wouldn't want to buy something that had been USED and then returned!!!

spidermom
February 27th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I believe it's illegal to put a used product back on the shelf, especially if there was a seal that was broken. Product tampering can and does occur. For all they know, you put lye in it.

I've returned products before. All you need to say is the truth "tried it; didn't like it."

Kaelee
February 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I believe it's illegal to put a used product back on the shelf, especially if there was a seal that was broken. Product tampering can and does occur. For all they know, you put lye in it.

I've returned products before. All you need to say is the truth "tried it; didn't like it."

Yea, that doesn't mean some places don't do it though. I don't think they can legally resell anything (personal care product) that was returned for any reason, unless there is a tamper evident seal that is intact...but I don't know the regulations for sure. But this is definitely an "honesty is the best policy" situation. I'm really grossed out by the idea that people are out there returning used products and not saying that they've been used, and that the store might be restocking them and I might be buying them unknowingly.

selenir
February 28th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I personally wouldn't like to buy a product if I knew it was used either; at least for stuff like conditioner. I haven't seen any shampoo/conditioner with a tamper seal though.

I feel like I'd be really embarrassed if I were to try returning it and they said no though. I'll try to be honest as I can (though being a guy, it's hard enough to return it, let alone say "I used it, but didn't like it" and possibly having the response, "Sorry, we don't take back used items").

Thanks for the advice everyone.

akilina
February 28th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I don't understand how talking about how bad hair dressers are has anything to do with returning a bottle of conditioner....:rolleyes:

If you got a product from anywhere, and don't like it...I don't see the problem in just returning it and explaining why you didn't want it. I don't see why this would be anything other than...Simple.

If you got it from a salon, you could return it and tell them exactly why you didn't like it.

If you got it from a place like Walmart though there's nothing more to it than returning it and saying you just don't want it. You don't have to explain it to them.
Another ETA: PLEASE DO tell them that you did use it if you are going to return it.

Eta: Generally when products are returned to salons, depending on how it goes..usually stylists there can just take it home. In some situations it has to be sent back to the supplier if its a chain salon.
I have done that before, and got some really awesome products. I have never encountered anyone who would EVER put it back on a shelf. Clearly though, in every business and profession out there you run into people who do not do the right thing.

Thinthondiel
February 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I wonder if there's a cultural difference here, because I can't imagine anyone here in Norway taking back a used skin/hair/beauty product and trying to exchange it unless there was something actually wrong with it or there was a satisfaction guarantee. I feel like it would be kinda like trying to return a food item you hadn't tried before and then discovered you didn't like.

Not saying you shouldn't try to return it, though, I'm obviously in the minority here. :p

Nini
February 28th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Thinthondiel just expressed my thoughts exactly, me being a fellow Norwegian and all.

Well, if you take it back and they say no, at least you've tried it. And you'll know what to do later.

I'm curious to know how the product didn't work for you though?

AndreaPetrea
February 28th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I wonder if there's a cultural difference here, because I can't imagine anyone here in Norway taking back a used skin/hair/beauty product and trying to exchange it unless there was something actually wrong with it or there was a satisfaction guarantee. I feel like it would be kinda like trying to return a food item you hadn't tried before and then discovered you didn't like.

Not saying you shouldn't try to return it, though, I'm obviously in the minority here. :p

I'm having the same thoughts. I'm from Denmark :D It's interesting that this is normal in other parts of the world.

RavennaNight
February 28th, 2013, 02:54 AM
CVS lets you return makeup that didn't work.

Different stores have different policies. Call them up and ask. Explain the truth, you tried it and it was awful. Worst case scenario I see a store credit or exchange, versus money back, in your future.

melusine963
February 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'd be way too embarrassed to ever return a product if the only thing wrong with it was that it didn't agree with me. Now, if there were a genuine problem (ie. if it were off, opened, contaminated, etc.), I wouldn't mind returning it. That said, I'm far too stingey to spend so much on a product that I couldn't swallow the cost if need be.

Toadstool
March 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
I'm in the UK and also can't imagine taking any consumable product back on the grounds that I didn't like it. I've never heard of anyone doing that here.

kpzra
March 3rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I forgot to mention; what about salons? If a stylist botches your hair, is it acceptable for you to just leave without paying them?

Not unless the stylist says you don't have to pay, otherwise it is considered theft of services and you can be charged with the crime. You can try and work out someway for them to try and fix it but you cannot just up and leave without paying.

HylianGirl
March 3rd, 2013, 05:55 PM

I'm thinking the same thing here, and I'm from Brazil, and I don't think stores here would accept the "I didn't like it" reason to exchange, as far as I know they only exchange here if there is something wrong with the product or if it is sealed, but it seems like in the USA custumer service is different.

Kaelee
March 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking the same thing here, and I'm from Brazil, and I don't think stores here would accept the "I didn't like it" reason to exchange, as far as I know they only exchange here if there is something wrong with the product or if it is sealed, but it seems like in the USA custumer service is different.

It depends on the store. I wouldn't dream of returning something because I just didn't like it either, unless I bought it from a store that specifically had that policy (Rite Aid and Walgreens I believe are both US chain stores that allow returns of makeup that you just don't like/color doesn't work/etc.)

betsb
March 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM
You could write a letter to the manufacturer of the product and include your receipt (and/or product) to let them know you were unhappy with the product and why.

dollyfish
March 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Im a good to shoes type too id use it to shave with instead of trying to return it. I get creeped out when i se ea clearly used item restocked you can also see if anyone on here wants it via swap board.

This is what I was going to say. If you can't return it, use it for shaving! :)

HylianGirl
March 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM
It depends on the store. I wouldn't dream of returning something because I just didn't like it either, unless I bought it from a store that specifically had that policy (Rite Aid and Walgreens I believe are both US chain stores that allow returns of makeup that you just don't like/color doesn't work/etc.)

That's pretty cool. It seems to me like the US has good custumer service.

MegaMystery
March 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I work in a drugstore-type store over here and I think (though I'm not completely sure) that we do take back used products with a receipt of course. I just think that there's some kind of taboo on taking back a product that you used here, a lot of people also probably don't know that it's possible. A lot of times when I ask people if they want their receipt for something like a cream or anything else (they don't get printed automatically anymore to save paper) they'll just be like 'no thanks, I'm just going to use it right away', as if that makes them unable to return it..

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Exactly. I'm a goody two shoes too but this is not an issue, depending on the store policy. When I was figuring out what my hair liked and trying different products, I bought a lot of things at Target and also at the Common Market that didn't work for my hair. Both places had a return policy that clearly stated that they would accept products back that didn't work for you. so I would just go back with my receipt, tell them that I used it and it didn't work for me and get my money back and then try something else. Their policy allowed me to be completely honest as I like to be and they certainly weren't putting things back on the shelf to possibly harm others. I got a good feeling about these stores and continue to shop there, now that I DO now what they like, partly because they had this good policy.
It was very useful especially because many of the products the I first tried were EXTREMELY pricey ( as products formulated just for curly hair tend to be). Sometimes I had paid as much as $30.00 fof a bottle of some 'curl butter' or something that jsut gunked up my hair completely. As time passed and I learned more and more (lots due to this forum) I realized that I needed to buy things like pure aloe vera gel and pure shea butter and pure EVOO and EVCO for my hair, and that the conditioners that I need are the really cheap ones. Anyway, the store policies were very helpful and I would suggest only shopping at stores that allowed you to return open things that you can't use with your receipt, within a reasonable amount of time.

Jeleebaby
March 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm in the UK and also can't imagine taking any consumable product back on the grounds that I didn't like it. I've never heard of anyone doing that here.
I'm uk based, purchased clarins cleanser, toner and moisturiser for my mums birthday from debenhams a few years ago and she had a severe reaction to it, literally looked like she had been scalded so I returned them to the clarins counter along with a picture of mums face and got a full no questions refund :), think most Brits are just too shy and polite to go back with a used product.

imaroo
March 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Maybe it is different here in the US in that some of the stores will allow the returns. But I don't think I've ever known anyone to return a product that gets consumed, unless there was something wrong with it. Mostly my friends and I will give each other conditioners, nail polishes, lipsticks, and other products we've decided we don't like.

Nae
March 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I would return it. It shouldn't go back on the shelf.

Heck, at Wal-mart they take back consumables all the time, even food. For a while, if you weren't happy with the quality of a food purchase they would refund you 150% of your purchase price, as long as there was more than half left. (I am pretty sure they stopped that policy a few years back though.)

akilina
March 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Im really surprised to hear so many people are so reserved about this.

It just doesn't seem that hard at all, and I wonder why anyone would even question something like this??

If you don't like something, take it back. I see no reason why it wouldn't be okay or "rude"...:s Im pretty confused. Also, stores won't put it back on the shelf. If they do, its the employee in question that is doing something wrong.

palaeoqueen
March 9th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I think I replied earlier but anyway, I have returned things because I didn't like them. I suppose it depends how you define that though:

1) Lip gloss that caused an allergic reaction (burning and itching).
2) Shampoo and conditioner that caused an allergic reaction (burning and itching).
3) Shampoo and conditioner that caused an allergic reaction (sneezing based).

I can't think of any other reason to return a product after only one use? I wouldn't return something just because I wasn't keen on the scent for example and you won't know if it doesn't work for you until you've used it a few times.