PDA

View Full Version : Layers

jen5972
February 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I recently cut my hair into layers (using the CreaClip) to try and reduce tangles. They made them SO much worse! Is that a normal thing to have happen? I always thought layers would help get rid of tangles. I was a bit shocked to see that the layers made the tangles way worse. So now I am trying to grow them back out :(. GRRRRRR!

jacqueline101
February 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have layers and my hair has some tangles but not too bad of course mine are growing out.

Mya
February 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm afraid it's normal. When your hair is one length, your strands kind of move all together. When you have layers, each layer goes on its own.

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I recently cut my hair into layers (using the CreaClip) to try and reduce tangles. They made them SO much worse! Is that a normal thing to have happen? I always thought layers would help get rid of tangles. I was a bit shocked to see that the layers made the tangles way worse. So now I am trying to grow them back out :(. GRRRRRR!

It's too late now, but did you think of trying other things to get rid of the tangles first? Such as conditioning twice, topping it off with a leave-in, etc. ...

Layers don't get rid of tangles. They don't. I've had layers and now I don't have them, and the haircare is about the same.

jen5972
February 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yes, I tried everything for years. I decided to try the layers out of desperation. Many articles I read said they would help the tangles. The articles were SO wrong.

TheMechaGinger
February 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM
My tangles were WAY worse back when I had layers. I have fine hair and a lot of it so tangles are still a bit of a problem for me. However, the Tangle Teezer has totally saved my butt. That thing is so gentle and fabulous and I just love it, I don't use anything else on my hair. What also helps me is brushing out my hair, dampening it with a spray bottle of just plain old water and applying a little dab of coconut oil to smoothe everything out. When it dries my hair stays tangle-free and soft for the rest of the day

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
My tangles were WAY worse back when I had layers. I have fine hair and a lot of it so tangles are still a bit of a problem for me. However, the Tangle Teezer has totally saved my butt. That thing is so gentle and fabulous and I just love it, I don't use anything else on my hair.

So true! I love my TT!

Kaelee
February 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM
My experience says it depends on how they're cut (and no, I don't know what the "magic formula" is LOL I wish I did.) I've never had them REDUCE tangles, but I've had them make it way worse, and then when I got it cut again, it was back to normal, then worse again....so sometimes it makes it worse and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it depends on your hair type as well.

leslissocool
February 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM
my hair tangled more with layers. I cut back 6 inches to get rid of the layers and my tangles went away.

katiebeans
February 26th, 2013, 04:18 PM
It's okay, there are heaps of us trying to grow out layers :) I second the Tangle Teezer, I brought one a couple of weeks ago and it has saved me so much trouble. Sometimes if the tangles are real bad, I use a tiny bit of coconut oil as a detangler.

jen5972
February 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, and the sympathy :). I actually do have a Tangle Teezer. Love that thing! It has helped so much to get through the tangles easier. My hair has always been horrible with tangles. I seem to find something that works for awhile, then it stops working. It has been the most frustrating thing about my hair. Here is a picture of the matting I get (and this was BEFORE the layers!). Pretty huh? http://public.fotki.com/jen5972/long-hair-album/tangles.html

UltraBella
February 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I've always had layers and they don't seem to make my hair tangle more - my hair type has the most to do with my tangles. My layers have always been professionally done though, so they are cut very differently than what you can do at home with a crea-clip. That may have something to do with your issues as well.

Bagginslover
February 27th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions, and the sympathy :). I actually do have a Tangle Teezer. Love that thing! It has helped so much to get through the tangles easier. My hair has always been horrible with tangles. I seem to find something that works for awhile, then it stops working. It has been the most frustrating thing about my hair. Here is a picture of the matting I get (and this was BEFORE the layers!). Pretty huh? http://public.fotki.com/jen5972/long-hair-album/tangles.html

O_0 Oh wow, that is some tangle!!!! How does a tangle like that appear in you hair? (as in, what did you do with your hair that day?) Maybe its more to do with what you do, than how its cut, and we can help you pinpoint that.

SnowWhite
February 27th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I had layers, now I grew them out, I want to get layers again when I'm at waist...
I don't think my hair tangled more with layers than without. It's about the same. I think it has more to do with hairtype than haircut...

jen5972
February 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM
O_0 Oh wow, that is some tangle!!!! How does a tangle like that appear in you hair? (as in, what did you do with your hair that day?) Maybe its more to do with what you do, than how its cut, and we can help you pinpoint that.

That is what happens when I wear it down all day. It gets matted underneath. It has happened since my hair got past my shoulders. I still wear it down most days, and just deal with the tangles. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of shirt I am wearing. Humidity makes a difference. The tangles are worse during winter when the air is dry. People have suggested that I wear it up all the time, but I enjoy it being down. I would love to find a solution!

jen5972
February 27th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I've always had layers and they don't seem to make my hair tangle more - my hair type has the most to do with my tangles. My layers have always been professionally done though, so they are cut very differently than what you can do at home with a crea-clip. That may have something to do with your issues as well.

I actually cut into layers after seeing pictures of your hair! It is beautiful! My hair type/texture is part of my problem as well. I have fine strands but lots of them. I didn't want to go to a salon for layers because it seems like I have always had my hairs butchered when I do that. I haven't found a stylist I can trust.