PDA

View Full Version : velvet scrunchies or silk/satin scrunchies?

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
which type scrunchie does not damage hair? velvet soft scrunchies or the shiny satin fabric scrunchies? im thinking about buying one so i can just keep hair in a bun all day and forget about it until i reach my goal. does anyone know which does least damage to hair?

jojo
August 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I dont think any do. I have all types! as long as there are no metal joining s they should be safe.

Welcome to the LHC, Ive enjoyed reading your posts xx

CimarronSun
August 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Velvet holds better, but it can be hard to pull long hair through the scrunchie multiple times. The satin is easy to use... but tends to slip, on my hair anyways. It's good if you can get it tight enough.

Get both, if you can. You'll likely find different uses for each.

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I dont think any do. I have all types! as long as there are no metal joining s they should be safe.

Welcome to the LHC, Ive enjoyed reading your posts xx

haha many thanks, i've been trying to do many posts so I can finally upload my pictures, I still don't think i have enough though, haha. It is a bit confusing. Thanks for answering so many of my questions though, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to our long journey to growing flowing locks together!
God Bless

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
And you were worried about a hairstick? o-o;;

Darkhorse1
August 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Just a side note--I love velvet scrunchies, but in the dry winters of my area, they cause major static problems with long hair. So, cloth ones might be better of you have dry winters.

LifeisAdventure
August 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I actually just bought some textured cotton/knit scrunchies today because I also had issues pulling my long hair through the velvet multiple times. Satin ones never held for me. :shrug: Either way, good luck to you! :)

Tap Dancer
August 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I love all three. They all hold well in my hair. Anything can cause damage if you're not careful. But I'd say silk and satin are probably more gentle if you slide them carefully down your hair.

Arctic
August 27th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I would get satin one, I think it's more gentle. If you think of the hair shaft and the cuticles, velvet crunchie might cause more friction against the cuticles.

What ever you use, never tighten the ponytail by separating it into two and pulling it tighter. That's also bad for the cuticles. Also varying the place where you make the ponytail help against damage. And in general, varying the hair-dos.

If you're handy with sewingmascine, or someone you know is, you might want to make your own scrunchies, and make them very slim, so they won't have that ruffled look. I have been meaning to make these slimmer ones myself too.

Oh, and I find those terry cloth type hair bands really gentle too :)

Arctic
August 27th, 2008, 04:40 AM
haha many thanks, i've been trying to do many posts so I can finally upload my pictures, I still don't think i have enough though, haha. It is a bit confusing.

You should upload your photos to some photo hosting site, like photobucket.com. Then you can post pictures here.

(If you choose photobucket.com, it's ok place, and free, but do check the options and make your album private. That is if you want it private :))

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
You should upload your photos to some photo hosting site, like photobucket.com. Then you can post pictures here.

(If you choose photobucket.com, it's ok place, and free, but do check the options and make your album private. That is if you want it private :))

thanks very much for the idea. I have just made a profile on it:
http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/pdy2kn6/hair/
guest password is: private

chelles2kids
August 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Velvet=Won't slip out
Satin=Very slippery

I have some of both and they both work equally well, with the exception that I do have to wrap the satin ones more tightly to keep them from sliding out.;)

Michelle

justgreen
August 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hi and welcome to the boards!

You might want to take a look at this. Please don't be offended, but your lack of capital letters at the beginning of sentences, and no punctuated contractions makes it more difficult, for those who only speak English as a second language, to read. None of us are grammar perfect, but we try to abide by the rules, very few I might add, set up here. Thanks!

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Hi and welcome to the boards!

You might want to take a look at this. Please don't be offended, but your lack of capital letters at the beginning of sentences, and no punctuated contractions makes it more difficult, for those who only speak English as a second language, to read. None of us are grammar perfect, but we try to abide by the rules, very few I might add, set up here. Thanks!

Sorry! I thought I was doing better at my punctuation and capital letters and everything. I have dyslexia and dyspraxia so sometimes think I am doing it right but really It isn't. I will try my very hardest to ensure every thread I post has capitals and proper pronunctiation etc etc. haha. I am very sorry. Ill keep trying my best!

Darkhorse1
August 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
pdy--you've got great hair and lovely photos! I think either scrunchies would work in your hair.

burns_erin
August 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I actually just bought some textured cotton/knit scrunchies today because I also had issues pulling my long hair through the velvet multiple times. Satin ones never held for me. :shrug: Either way, good luck to you! :)

i second this, they work the best/least damaging for me. "course i think of them as "nubby" cotten/knit, but i think we are talking a bout the same thing.

Blueglass
August 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
As long as you make the scunci tight enough, you will not have to retighten it. Satin can be to slippery if not tightened enough. Scunci are very safe to use, in general, no matter the fabric.

truepeacenik
August 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've also had both in slippery hair. I wound up using silk velvet when out and about, as the silk satin might as well have been greased!