PDA

View Full Version : "Real Life Rapunzel" yahoo article

Long_hair_bear
February 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/hair-guide/meet-the-real-life-rupunzel--190432302.html

Blow frying /cringe! "Lots of shampoo" aaaahhhhhh :run:

writer_mom
February 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the long hair, but an hour with a blow dryer *shudders* I wouldn't want to do that, I'll wait the 3 hours for air drying.

Khristopher
February 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Lots of shampoo... I died! :rolling:

MsBubbles
February 25th, 2013, 04:51 PM
"...a sensible bob..." made me laugh internally. Tsk. Sensible.

Happy to be senseless, here :D.

Wavelength
February 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Even after that New York Times article, people still think Locks of Love is a wonderful charity that donates wigs to people with cancer.
:justy:

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I couldn't take the hours with a hair dryer. My arms would be tired.

kpzra
February 25th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I own a blow dryer, but it's never been used on hair. My husband needed it to shape his new beret when he transferred units in the Army. We had moved from Georgia to Alaska so his hair was still in a high-n-tight and he didn't want to sit with wet wool on his head waiting for it to dry in the Alaska cold. :lol:

Allychan
February 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Wow, that's a lot of blowdrying

bradlea
February 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Even after that New York Times article, people still think Locks of Love is a wonderful charity that donates wigs to people with cancer.

Ughh I know. That part was even worse than the "lots of shampoo and conditioner" crap.

AMD
February 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I guess yahoo has never heard of this forum. Way more "real life rapunzels" here :D

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM
AMD, I suppose they haven't. Extremely long hair happens every day, everywhere, but you usually don't see a positively-toned article about it. Most of us end up on websites where we get made fun of. Either way, though, very long hair isn't really a rare thing. :p Must have been a slow news day.

starlamelissa
February 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
i dont use lots of shampoo, i think I use a half dollar of conditioning shampoo, when I shampoo from roots to tips. If I use a non conditioning shampoo (suave naturals/vo5) I use a quarter size dollop. My mother has very short, thin hair and uses a quarter size, and my husband has a man's quiff haircut and uses a dime size.

anyways, I dont get this "long haired folks use so much shampoo" business. I do use 2 conditioner bottles to each shampoo bottle, but yearly conditioner cost is still pretty low. Especially since I use suave professionals, under 3 dollars for a 28 oz size of conditioner locally. Anyways, I call BS!

What I spend on would be leave in conditioner and time spent on detangling.

As for the blowfrying, I airdry until mostly dry, and blow it straight from there. I am not spending an hour lifting a damned blowdrier!!!

bunnylake
February 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
We need to help this woman.

katiebeans
February 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Must be very time consuming :hmm: Thanks for sharing

LadyLongLocks
February 25th, 2013, 05:46 PM
This woman won the Illinois ponytail contest at the State fair at least a couple times.She is shown here in 2011 having her ponytail measured.
VIDEO (http://youtu.be/V_4xVYelDFk)
Whatever she is doing is working since her hair looks great.
She just needs to stay away from locks of love...I wish she knew!

longforthis
February 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I agree, her hair does look great. Do does her daughters hair!

Perhaps she uses the lowest heat setting on her blowdryer? Or the reporter reported the shampoo and conditioner amount wrong?

Regardless, and excuses aside, I wish my hair looked like that! LOL

longNred
February 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM
i dont use lots of shampoo, i think I use a half dollar of conditioning shampoo, when I shampoo from roots to tips. If I use a non conditioning shampoo (suave naturals/vo5) I use a quarter size dollop. My mother has very short, thin hair and uses a quarter size, and my husband has a man's quiff haircut and uses a dime size.

anyways, I dont get this "long haired folks use so much shampoo" business. I do use 2 conditioner bottles to each shampoo bottle, but yearly conditioner cost is still pretty low. Especially since I use suave professionals, under 3 dollars for a 28 oz size of conditioner locally. Anyways, I call BS!

What I spend on would be leave in conditioner and time spent on detangling.

As for the blowfrying, I airdry until mostly dry, and blow it straight from there. I am not spending an hour lifting a damned blowdrier!!!

I don't get it either. People (incl. my hairdresser) often ask how much shampoo I "must go through"... Which is often MUCH less than they use. I buy maybe 1 bottle a month (if that) and there are 3 people using it. Only wash it when needed. No need to go through ridiculous amounts of shampoo to keep it "immaculate". It's not getting very dirty up in a bun.

I can't even remember the last time I used my blow dryer. I think my hb used it to seal some plastic on our porch windows. It's been tucked away for ages. In fact, I only keep the darn thing for crafts or other household uses, lol

Their hair is lovely at those lengths though. It's a shame the mom doesn't braid it, I bet it'd look amazing!

Quixii
February 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Pretty hair, but several parts of the article made me cringe. "Sensible bob," "lots of shampoo and conditioner," "Locks of Love," "an hour blowdrying"?! Eeek.

HylianGirl
February 25th, 2013, 07:40 PM
About the "lots of shampoo" I imagine it was whoever wrote the article who presumed it. I also don't know what's so sensible about a bob.

Mandie
February 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I wonder if she said "clean" and the writer assumed?

I used to blow dry for hours... but that was because I spent most of the time reading and was twelve.

goldloli
February 25th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Why are people so hung up on the shampoo comment? whatever she's doing is obviously working for her... plenty of people use shampoo and grow to longer lengths just fine and have been for a very long time... way before most of us knew anything about no poo routines. As with everything YMMV, using shampoo isnt cringeworthy and to assume the reporter was embellishing over believing the quote is quite close minded. If I had 6ft long hair I'd imagine i'd go through at least 2 palmfulls per wash, even though i use only half compared to conditioner. Actually same for the 'blowfrying', not everyone has to confine to updos, refrain from tools, co wash only etc to grow to greater lengths. Even luxepiggy sings the praises of blow drying with pubmed studies to boot.

TheHowlingWolf
February 25th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I love my mom but what a cool mom! My mom used to have longish hair (waist) when she was younger but all my life she has had short hair and really only knows how to do a basic braid (while ripping out my hair lol). I wish she was more into hair care and could do my hair in styles and would have taught me from a young age how to take care of my hair.

freecelt
February 25th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I saw the article came to commiserate. Glad other's are cringing over the blow dryer :)

MegaMystery
February 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Whatever she is doing, it's obviously working for her. The thing I found cringeworthy though was the remark in parentheses (20 inches, tops), which sounds to me like the author believes she and her girls should have donated more.

TheHowlingWolf
February 26th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Why are people so hung up on the shampoo comment? whatever she's doing is obviously working for her... plenty of people use shampoo and grow to longer lengths just fine and have been for a very long time... way before most of us knew anything about no poo routines. As with everything YMMV, using shampoo isnt cringeworthy and to assume the reporter was embellishing over believing the quote is quite close minded. If I had 6ft long hair I'd imagine i'd go through at least 2 palmfulls per wash, even though i use only half compared to conditioner. Actually same for the 'blowfrying', not everyone has to confine to updos, refrain from tools, co wash only etc to grow to greater lengths. Even luxepiggy sings the praises of blow drying with pubmed studies to boot.

I agree, what works for some (even most) doesn't work for all! Some hair/scalps aren't as picky as others.

MaryMarx
February 26th, 2013, 03:09 AM

Haha, good one. :D

Mischamiu
February 26th, 2013, 03:38 AM
I would have loved if my mum had long hair too :D she seems to be on that "no long hair after your 40s" rule/team

bunnylake
February 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I agree, what works for some (even most) doesn't work for all! Some hair/scalps aren't as picky as others.

Oh, I guess I thought by "LOTS of shampoo" she meant she was using more than a shorter haired person would. I imagined her shampooing all of the length. So maybe that was just my interpretation. I use shampoo, but only on my scalp and roots.

PraiseCheeses
February 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Anyone click on the linked article at the bottom "Secrets of Women with Extremely Long Hair"? Apparently the author mined LHC for those secrets. Bonus: it puts us in a much more positive light than the last article about LHC "secrets" that was linked here a while back. :)

JamieLeigh
February 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Anyone click on the linked article at the bottom "Secrets of Women with Extremely Long Hair"? Apparently the author mined LHC for those secrets. Bonus: it puts us in a much more positive light than the last article about LHC "secrets" that was linked here a while back. :)

(bolding mine) We "vaguely creepy endearing weirdos" have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Agree too. We use about 3 palmfuls of shampoo for my whole head here, and my hair's between hip & TBL. It's thick, and it needs it! There's nothing wrong with using lots of shampoo!

Khiwanean
February 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it is obviously working for her. I do get hung up on the "lots of shampoo" comment though. It probably has more to do with the way my hair behaves when it's shampooed i.e. everywhere but the scalp gets pretty much matted together and is a royal pain to detangle. When she says "lots" I imagine she's shampooing the whole length with undiluted shampoo and my hair just wouldn't be able to take that. Whether or not that's what she actually means by that phrase, I have a visceral reaction because of my experiences with shampoo, not because she's doing something wrong.

I do think it's awesome how she's made it a family affair.

Lady Mary
February 26th, 2013, 11:25 AM

I know... Drives me kind of crazy having to explain it to people. Usually following "Oh, you're growing out your hair, for Locks of Love?" Yeeeaarrg.

HylianGirl
February 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I know... Drives me kind of crazy having to explain it to people. Usually following "Oh, you're growing out your hair, for Locks of Love?" Yeeeaarrg.

I got to know Locks of Love though here, and I'm glad it is not as well known in my country. Here it is more common for people to sell their hair rather than donate. Make of that what you will ^-^

chen bao jun
February 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Her hair looks great and so does her kids' hair. I used to think that everybody who had really long was like them, hit the genetic lottery and would have long hair whatever they did. Its so nice to be on this forum and have hope that patience and protecting it and giving up harsh products will eventually get my hair longer, too. Though never 60+ inches!!
Is it important for everybody to give up shampoo? I thought it was curlies who benefited from CO, CWC (which is what I do) because we have dryer hair. I thought if you had straighter hair so that the sebum could actually get to your ends, especially if you brushed (which us curlies can't do) that was when not using shampoo was important. I have different hair since I use only tiny amounts of non-sulphate shampoo but did not think it was necessary for everyone (and clearly this lady is doing fine with her shampoo, lucky her)

faellen
February 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Completely agree with everything you've said!

I shampoo all of my hair including the lengths and occasionally blow dry, was unaware that this was shocking behaviour to LHC, better kick me off... Lol

maborosi
February 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM

I was just about to bring this up! Lol

They didn't get all the terminology right, but good on them for making a better attempt this time lol.

~maborosi~

EdG
February 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM
And how do the men in the Russel family cope? As for her son, Russel says, "He is going to be a great husband. He's going to know how to deal with drama, and how to deal with hair.” And Russel's husband says: “I love all my girls’ long hair.”

And to Russel's presumably short-haired husband and son, I say "You're doing it wrong." :lol:
Ed

IndigoOptimist
February 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM

'sensible bob' made me laugh too! My mum has three children and has never had hair shorter than APL since having us. Even the APL section I remember only being because my brother put a candle by her as a three year old and her hair caught fire!

ghost
February 27th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Whatever she's doing, the lady's got some amazing hair. Her daughters do, too.
I only WISH my hair could withstand blowdrying on a regular basis, it would make life so much easier!

sakuraemily
February 27th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I'd like my long hair too much. I'd prefer to donate to research or charity funds.
Selfish I know, But i'd still be doing my bit.

wendylai
February 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM
She has beautiful hair! It looks very resilient, sort of like horses mane. So I think shampooing would be no problem for hear.

Great condition as well. I read the comments above the article, some hostile stuff there, hey.. Sometimes I wonder what it is about pretty long hair that makes many people go all "donate, donate, donate" and "cut it all off"-like :confused:
The commentors are all allowed to cut their hair off all they want, but being all concerned about little cancer patients like that, couldnt they also grow it all 40 inches and - donate - wouldnt that be just more charitable than keeping up that sensible bob and polluting nature with dyes and making hair dressers possible catch cancer.. hehe!

Anyways, beautiful color and texture. If only..

Vanille_
February 27th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I wonder if she is on this forum. Does anyone know?

PrincessIdril
February 27th, 2013, 10:44 AM

This, every word of it.

marykatz
February 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM

I am curious what is wrong with Locks of Love? I googled the NYT article and they didn't seem that bad to me. They want to help children with alopecia and some people mistake it for Cancer. They just seem to get a lot of unusable hair but aren't they still a good charity?

HylianGirl
February 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I am curious what is wrong with Locks of Love? I googled the NYT article and they didn't seem that bad to me. They want to help children with alopecia and some people mistake it for Cancer. They just seem to get a lot of unusable hair but aren't they still a good charity?

From what I've heard, they don't donate all the hair they get, they often sell it instead, and even for the kids with alopecia, it is required a fee to get the wig. At least that's what I heard.

Nae
February 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
From what I've heard, they don't donate all the hair they get, they often sell it instead, and even for the kids with alopecia, it is required a fee to get the wig. At least that's what I heard.

I heard they can charge up to $3000 dollars for those wigs.

maborosi
February 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I wonder if she is on this forum. Does anyone know?

Not as far as I know. Lady Longlocks posted a link to a video of her winning her local state fair's ponytail contest, though.

It would be AWESOME to have her on here. I think she easily might have some of the longest hair I've seen.

~maborosi~

RavennaNight
February 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM

This, I also agree here.

It does, however make me wonder a great deal. I mean, here we are diluting and fussing about it and looking at blowdryers like they are the devil incarnate, and there they go, washing and blowdrying with reckless abandon and have gorgeous hair to boot :lol: I know, YMMV. Different things work for different people.

Lady Mary
February 27th, 2013, 06:51 PM

My main issue is that people (average public) seems to think that if we donate our hair to Locks of Love, it will be used to make a wig and given freely to a child with cancer. Thus making us "selfish" for keeping "excessive" amounts of hair. This is not the case at all. In reality, the hair will be sold or thrown away. Of the hair they actually use, the wig is created and then sold on a sliding scale of cost to someone with alopecia. Now, I've got no problem giving a wig to an alopecia suffering child, however I don't they should have to buy the wig. That's just wrong. Not much of a charity for them... But besides all that, the "are you growing to donate" comments are fairly widespread and the "free wigs to cancer kids" follows it, so I'm left either correcting them or trying to change the subject. It's just very annoying.

Wavelength
February 27th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Their business practices are deceptive at best. That's generally not a good thing when you're calling yourself a charity.

Also, their spokesperson basically said that the only thing they're doing that remotely resembles a charity is making people feel good about donating their hair. I don't think people should be encouraged to cut their hair just to "feel good". They aren't giving anything to the kids -- they're charging money for wigs and throwing most of the donated hair away.

They're also no longer in good standing with the BBB, due to their questionable business practices.

Helix
February 27th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I guess yahoo has never heard of this forum. Way more "real life rapunzels" here :D

THIS^

10 char.

aspartame gram
February 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I couldn't do the loads of shampoo because I break out horribly in these red, dry patches when I use sulfates. So I use shampoo bars instead. <3 But I can see how it might benefit someone who maybe has overactive sebum production? Who knows. And she might not actually wash daily. It might be weekly? We can't really determine from the very vague comments they've asked. There really isn't much about how often she washes or if she oils/deep conditions.

The blow dryer thing, I mean, if it works for her, that's grand. She might use a lighter heat setting, and she does have long hair. I'm not certain how thick it is, though. Personally, I prefer wavy/curly hair. So, to each her/his own. :3

Wildcat Diva
February 27th, 2013, 07:13 PM
They have heard of LHC! We are in the third article after the OP's link!
http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/secrets-women-worlds-longest-hair-222300939.html

Here's what it says:

"But not everyone grows out her hair for fame, fortune or a pageant trophy (Lithuania sponsors an annual long hair competition where women compete for a bike. For reals.) What about those rare women who've chosen to grow their hair long below their waists? What's the appeal of having a 50 minute shower regiment and a plumber on speed-dial ? I paid a visit to the Long Hair Community , a chat room that looks as if it too hasn't been trimmed since the dawn of the internet, in search of answers.

What I learned is that extremely long hair, I'm talking cocktail length, is the kind of physical trait that's part of one's identity. Much like the Mohawk is to male punks, women who go to extraordinary lengths wear their locks as a proud assertion of outsider status.

'Longys', as they call themselves, even share their own language. Here's an annotated glossary."

And it continues...

longys?

EdG
February 27th, 2013, 07:27 PM
longys?Oh well, apparently she didn't visit here long enough to know that we refer to ourselves as LHC'ers, and that not all of our Rapunzels are female. :hmm:
Ed

Wildcat Diva
February 27th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I know right? And I never knew I was an "outsider." Well, maybe I did.

Haha.

EdG
February 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I know right? And I never knew I was an "outsider." Well, maybe I did. Haha.The article is not a very accurate summary of this board. Maybe it's a composite of several hair boards. :hmm:
Ed

Wildcat Diva
February 27th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Yep, maybe.
But we are the only one they linked within the article.

EdG
February 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM
The bar for journalism is pretty low at "Shine from Yahoo". :lol:
Ed

Lady Mary
February 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM
longys?

:confused: Wouldn't it be longies? I dunno... :wigtongue

The bar for journalism is pretty low at "Shine from Yahoo". :lol:
Ed

:eyebrows:

Wildcat Diva
February 27th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I know. But I kind of like the look of this other article linked...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fashion/24Mirror.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&partner=rss&emc=rss&

Are they actually advocating WO?

goldloli
February 27th, 2013, 07:48 PM
This, I also agree here.

It does, however make me wonder a great deal. I mean, here we are diluting and fussing about it and looking at blowdryers like they are the devil incarnate, and there they go, washing and blowdrying with reckless abandon and have gorgeous hair to boot :lol: I know, YMMV. Different things work for different people.
Well whatever you are doing, all the fussing is obvi working, very nice hair you got there.

EdG
February 27th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Agreed, the New York Times article is better (and I would expect it to be). :lol:
Ed

Wildcat Diva
February 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I got kind of involved reading the reader comments after the nytimes article. Ah, I better stop. I'll be there for an hour and get myself all stirred up.

Vanille_
February 27th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I got kind of involved reading the reader comments after the nytimes article. Ah, I better stop. I'll be there for an hour and get myself all stirred up.

Ughh... I need to go read something happy before bed. That comment section is terrible.

maborosi
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I always tell my dad to never ever read the comments sections on news pieces.

They will suck your soul out. :(

~maborosi~

Mommyof4
February 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM
* i could cry*

I gave them 22 inches of virgin blonde hair when I was 12! I cut my hair up to shl which made me feel naked for a year, and they may have made money off of it, when I was told it would make a few free wigs for children? Grrr..

RavennaNight
February 28th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Well whatever you are doing, all the fussing is obvi working, very nice hair you got there.
:flower: Thank you!

Cania
February 28th, 2013, 03:24 AM
longys?

That absolutely killed me! :lol:

Also...
"Tailboner: Someone with hair that extends to their tailbone. "

Am I the only one who has never come across this one, either? It sounds a bit... peculiar.. :suspect:

Raventresses
February 28th, 2013, 07:25 AM
As I was browsing the comments of this lovely article, I was wondering, what makes people think it's ok to tell us to donate our hair? And what is with all the long hair hate? I don't get it. So many women spend ridiculous amounts of money on extensions so they can have long hair, yet we are weirdos for actually doing it naturally and for free?? I don't get it, :confused:

berr
February 28th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Wish i could like this post.

I wonder if making their (yahoo) remote workers move in house will give them any better insight to the real world? *sarcasm

LakeofGlass
February 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Why is it that the media always focuses on the ones who do such a poor job with their hair care? So many comments complained on the ratty ends, and sadly I have to agree. I know there are those who do fairytale ends, but many of them at least care for their ends. Ratty ends definitely mean damage, dry ends, etc. That's what makes me shudder. And I guess they really haven't heard of this forum. Neither has that woman, or else she wouldn't be donating to LoL. I almost did, after I'd gotten my hair cut off in a bob the first time... but I never turned in my hair, plus I'd found out they're terrible.

ladylowtide
February 28th, 2013, 01:55 PM
When I read the comments on this article I was shocked. I couldn't help thinking some of the nasty comments on the web page were created out of jealousy. I thought the mom and her daughters had beautiful hair root to tip. I was greatly inspired by seeing a beautiful head of straight burnet hair, enough so that I have resolved to grow to greater lengths. The women in this story looks like a queen. Thanks for linking this inspirational news article.

Vanille_
February 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM
It is hard to read comment sections like this and realize how many people think like that. "Long hair looks terrible on everyone." "Long hair is NOT good on anyone except children." "I hate long hair on anyone. I can only imagine how dirty it is." (?!?!) "These women are deluded in thinking long hair looks good on them."

I just wish people weren't so damn harsh. It makes me wonder who sees my hair and thinks these things :(

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2013, 04:28 PM
This, I also agree here.

I look at it this way. The woman in the article is genetically blessed to have wonderful hair she can do ANYTHING to and it will still be super-long and gorgeous. Lucky her. But lucky me that I found this forum and am learning about ways that I also can grow long hair, even if I have to be much more careful.
And your hair looks great RavennaNight. I'd be happy to have mine get to waist eventually. But happy now with the condition improvement after just 9 months on this forum, too happy to be jealous of anyone.
I attribute nasty comments attached to articles to a) jealousy b) too much time on one's hands c) person is seriously unhappy and thinks taking others down will make them feel better. I see no reason on earth to waste time reading them and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who posts things anonymously has forfeited the right to have their opinion taken seriously.

Cania
March 1st, 2013, 07:42 AM
I honestly think a lot of these rude comments are jealousy or insecurity. While it's completely okay to not like the look of long hair, being rude about the way someone looks really just makes you seem unpleasant, rather than making them look ugly.
All of the beautiful, confident girls I live with are very complimentary of my long hair because they don't need me to look bad to make themselves feel good.

The donation argument annoys me most. How selfish of them to keep both of their kidneys, their lungs, to not give part of their liver, their bone marrow and their blood precisely as often as they possibly could.

Thinthondiel
March 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM

I agree with all of this.

'sensible bob' made me laugh too! My mum has three children and has never had hair shorter than APL since having us. Even the APL section I remember only being because my brother put a candle by her as a three year old and her hair caught fire!

Maybe that's why a bob is more sensible... things like catching on fire doesn't happen as easily. ;) I certainly think a bob is more sensible than long hair. But then I don't always do what's sensible.

goldloli
March 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Why is it that the media always focuses on the ones who do such a poor job with their hair care? So many comments complained on the ratty ends, and sadly I have to agree. I know there are those who do fairytale ends, but many of them at least care for their ends. Ratty ends definitely mean damage, dry ends, etc. That's what makes me shudder. And I guess they really haven't heard of this forum. Neither has that woman, or else she wouldn't be donating to LoL. I almost did, after I'd gotten my hair cut off in a bob the first time... but I never turned in my hair, plus I'd found out they're terrible.

This was probably a super awesome day for her, getting to be in the news and have an article and everything about her and her daughters super long, pretty hair. She probably felt really special and people are just rubbishing it. I deleted my original post which was a nicely worded 'glass houses and throwing stones' comment.

AndreaPetrea
March 1st, 2013, 11:33 AM
The comments :doh: Seriously, I'm shocked that so many people are so dumb.

1) "Donate it!" - why not grow your own hair and donate it?

2) "Oh, all the money they spent" - well... Perms, dye and straightening irons aren't exactly cheap, are they?

3) "It looks stupid and unhealthy" - Like that lady's hair looks more fried than the regular straightening-iron-user's.

4) "Horrible to teach your children that appearance is so important". Oh. My. God. And you don't by saying "cut and style it"?

I could go on... How stupid and judgemental are people?!

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
I'm more saddened by the comments from people here on the this community than those actually commenting ON the posted article. If she joined today would you tell her her ratty ends, tons of shampoo and blow drying make her an embarrassment to the rest of us?? How do you know she won't one day join and see what was written about her and her daugheters? How can we be mad at those who are writing ill spoken comments on the article and come here saying how damaged her hair is and all the hair care rules she is breaking? I'm sorry but that's not what I expect from people here and I'm glad I'm not the only one voicing this.

We have numerous members who heat style their hair and use shampoo, we may have even offend them or those who are microtrimming instead of taking of inches and inches of damaged ends. It's terrible what others said on that article and in case she decided to find a place of support and encouragement here she would be horrified by what has been shared on this thread.

leslissocool
March 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
We need to help this woman.

I know, I would die having to blow dry for that long. I have ADHD, it would go from functional to music video headbanging to Celine Dion dramatic singing in 60 seconds. Someone could at least keep her company or she could read the LHC threads while doing it.

Ok what bothers me is that because SOME people use tons of shampoo and they like it EVERYONE assumes I use tons of shampoo. And that's not true, it's annoying to have to tell people my hair is not dirty even though I use less shampoo than they do. People think I spend so much money on my hair, and after reading articles like this it enforces the stereotype that long hair means TONS of shampoo and care and time under the blow dryer. I'm lazy, I can't do that that's why I don't style my hair.

I think that's where the cringe comes from when talking about shampoo, because not everyone does that and if you did that to mine it becomes a nightmare to deal with. So that means more "you must use so much shampoo, it must cost you a fortune" comments from people around who read these articles.

chen bao jun
March 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM
I'm more saddened by the comments from people here on the this community than those actually commenting ON the posted article. If she joined today would you tell her her ratty ends, tons of shampoo and blow drying make her an embarrassment to the rest of us?? How do you know she won't one day join and see what was written about her and her daugheters? How can we be mad at those who are writing ill spoken comments on the article and come here saying how damaged her hair is and all the hair care rules she is breaking? I'm sorry but that's not what I expect from people here and I'm glad I'm not the only one voicing this.

We have numerous members who heat style their hair and use shampoo, we may have even offend them or those who are microtrimming instead of taking of inches and inches of damaged ends. It's terrible what others said on that article and in case she decided to find a place of support and encouragement here she would be horrified by what has been shared on this thread.

Yes, the thread has been a bit small-minded. It's like 'how dare she have extremely long hair and be featured in a newspaper and not be doing it OUR way."
I'm kind of disappointed in us, too. I think her hair and her daughters' hair is beautiful. As I said before, some are genetically blessed. I have thought it a blessing to have the advice on here for the rest of us, so that we can have hope too, and enjoy seeing the before and afters of all the people who now have gorgeous hair and didn't originally, and what patience and updos and good care can do. I see no reason to be angry at those who grow well without LHC methods, though--even if that lady never stumbles across our board (which she does not need to)the jealous vibe is unworthy of a community which is generally a model of mutual support and help and encouragement.

Vanille_
March 1st, 2013, 02:40 PM
I cringe when I read comments on this forum along the lines of, "I hate thin eyebrows/short hair/blond hair/black nail polish/extensions/fake breasts/straightened hair/insert other beauty choice here." It really makes us look just as bad as those commenters. And you would think we would be more delicate with our words since we ourselves face criticism. There are more tactful ways to voice a preference.

sisi33
March 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
I cringe when I read comments on this forum along the lines of, "I hate thin eyebrows/short hair/blond hair/black nail polish/extensions/fake breasts/straightened hair/insert other beauty choice here." It really makes us look just as bad as those commenters. And you would think we would be more delicate with our words since we ourselves face criticism. There are more tactful ways to voice a preference.

Why don't we have a like button? 'Cause this deserves a like button!

PrincessIdril
March 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM

I hate that too, TBH I actually stay away from a lot of potentially interesting threads on here because you can guarantee you'll run into at least one comment like that and they really annoy me. I think it's shameful the way people in this forum bash on stuff they personally don't approve of.

lapushka
March 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM

My hair gets blowdried and we use tons of (harsh) shampoo on it, so yeah. Wow. I *must* be an exception. :roll:

truepeacenik
March 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM

Actually, the version in this article said medical hair loss.
Now, I might not know much about the news industry compared to some slapdash fashion columnist from yahoo, since I was an editor and worked on daily and biweekly newspapers and won writing award and all ;), but I am pretty sure "alopecia" takes less space than "medical hair loss."
Must be getting paid by the worthless filler word.

truepeacenik
March 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
I wonder if she said "clean" and the writer assumed?

I used to blow dry for hours... but that was because I spent most of the time reading and was twelve.

This needs a like button. Both parts.
I was a curling iron kid at 12, and my mom insisted that my hair be dry if I left the house. She tutted quite a bit when we were on vacation together. So I agreed to have it up if we were out and about (as compared to hanging on the beach or sitting in the bar).

Wavelength
March 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Actually, the version in this article said medical hair loss.
Now, I might not know much about the news industry compared to some slapdash fashion columnist from yahoo, since I was an editor and worked on daily and biweekly newspapers and won writing award and all ;), but I am pretty sure "alopecia" takes less space than "medical hair loss."
Must be getting paid by the worthless filler word.

The article said that. The comments after the article didn't. Many people are still under the impression that Locks of Love is a charity that gives wigs away to kids with cancer, and a vague phrase like "medical hair loss" does nothing to inform them otherwise, so they keep on thinking "cancer kids".

If it was just a matter of padding words, they could've used an even larger phrase such as, "medical hair loss due to alopecia and similar conditions". But they didn't. They went with a phrase that's just vague enough that no one's assumptions are challenged.

Not to mention that LoL also isn't a charity, since they sell their wigs.

Congrats on winning a writing award.

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
although we do all have opinions, which is fine, I think that it's probably most useful on this forum to give advice rather than saying what we 'hate' (that other people may choose to do). I do think there is a place on this forum to state facts such as that certain hair practices are damaging to MOST people or that certain hair types (such as thin and fine) are liable to breakage when certain things are done. I know that I needed this information and really had no idea that many things I was doing were not conducive to growing long hair, which was why I didn't have it. e.g., if a person comes on this forum (as many do) saying please help, my hair can't grow past my shoulders, I think it is reasonable to ask about their hair practices and to suggest that blow-drying, flat-ironing, bleaching, etc are probably not conducive to meeting their hair goals. The problem to me comes in when people give unasked for feedback about things they don't find aesthetic (why on earth would someone's breast implants come up as a subject on a hair forum) or when, as in this thread, people go from giving advice as to what most of us need to do to reach our goals and create rules that EVERYONE has to follow, and bash someone who doesn't need to do those things and is doing fine (and also hasn't asked our advice).
It is not being rude in my opinion, though, to point out that most people are not going to grow floor length hair, especially not beautiful floor length hair, while blow drying everyday and using a lot of shampoo, even those this lady obviously can and did. Just like most people aren't going to live to 100 smoking cigars and drinking, even though George Burns did.

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
I know. But I kind of like the look of this other article linked...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fashion/24Mirror.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&partner=rss&emc=rss&

Are they actually advocating WO?

I love this comment under the NYTimes article. SO MUCH.

"Reading this article and the comments, all I am left with is the saddening realisation that no matter how old or 'mature' we get, we women seemingly will never be able to get over judging each other for how we look. I can't believe that anyone feels the need to justify the length of their hair to anyone else, and worse, to insult (be it blatantly or covertly) those who would make a different choice. Depressing."