PDA

View Full Version : tie hair at night and am I doing enough for my hair?

mazza
February 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hi all

Just thought I come back here just to give an update on where my hair.
The condition according to my hair dresser is, my hair is strong and its at touching shoulder level. And I found a good shampoo non sls from Holland and Barrett called: coconut oil shampoo. I yet to have a itchy red scalp.
But its starting to get patching in some areas near the crown region and on the middle parting. I kinda have to deeply breath when I see it because I been growing my hair patiently for the last year and a half and hate to cut it all off.
:couch:
For me, its unique because I see less males grow there hair long and I have secret addiction to keeping my hair long :D. I am not sure if its because at 30 and above, the hair in men is more likely to fall out? But I do see some older males have no issue. It could be down to luck?

I got a few questions I am not sure if anyone can help me with?

Is tying your hair at bed time a good idea? I see a lot of woman do. My hair is free flowing and I dont feel likes its straining in anyway I know of. My worry is, iam starting to grow a middle hairline parting but I am not sure if this has anything to do with it?
I yet to master how to do a pony tail even with the help for some of the kind people here.

My diet is something I wanted to talk about.
I got diagnosed with IBS last year and have to be extra careful on what I eat. I am not over weight but I get a feeling it was stress related. I had to cut down on fruits lately because of the acid. I use to eat bananas daily. But I still eat my daily veggies, cereal and make my own lunchs. I take daily seven seas multibionta vitality pro biotic tablets which include a lot of vitamins:

Per tablet RDA

Vitamin A 120 μg RE 15
Vitamin D 5 μg 100
Vitamin E 12 mg α-TE 100
Vitamin K 22.5 μg 30
Vitamin C 80 mg 100
Vitamin B1 1.1 mg 100
Vitamin B2 1.4 mg 100
Niacin 16 mg NE 100
Vitamin B6 1.4 mg 100
Folic Acid 200 μg 100
Vitamin B12 2.5 μg 100
Biotin 50 μg 100
Pantothenic Acid 6 mg 100
Calcium 120 mg 15
Magnesium 57 mg 15
Iron 5 mg 36
Zinc 3.33 mg 33
Manganese 0.4 mg 20
Selenium 30 μg 55
Chromium 25 μg 63
Iodine 100 μg 67
Coenzyme Q10 2 mg

And I eat a handle full of pumpkin seeds daily. I been eating them since last month. Not sure how quick I should expect to see results though. Is this adequate or should I opt for something better? I just want to balance everything without OD on any vitamins.
I been switching between Castor oil and olive oil for a few months. I do get nice results and it makes the hair fuller.

Thats my update round up. I know it was a mouth full :D Any thing I left out or something I could add, please let me know.

pixietail
February 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Since I started braiding my hair at night I've seen a decrease in split ends, so I would definitely recommend it. I used to get some damage from hair ties at the end of my braids, but sleeping in a paranda has taken care of that. I still have a lot of splits, but less that before.

I wouldn't recommend sleeping in a pony tail. It doesn't sound like it would be very comfortable, and wouldn't really protect your hair from mechanical damage anyway.

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I'd wear a braid to sleep in. I'm battling damage ends so I'm going to braid all the time and oil the ends with mineral oil. I will braid it put it in a bun.

mazza
March 2nd, 2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I was looking for Igors vitamin post but got an error trying to view the post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74

But I did find a very extensive hair vitamins post on igors website:
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/supplements-and-hair-growth.html

its very interesting and I would recommend reading it.

Dovetail
March 2nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
I agree that a pony tail wont do much to help, the lenth is still lose and can get chaffed/knotted. I'd try a simple braid with a cloth ponytail holder at the bottom.
If your partner (assuming you have one) doesnt' care how it looks, I've read scrunchies are the best type of hairtie and for bed time I'm sure it wont matter what it looks like.
If you have troble doing a standard braid, you can just wrap two strands around each other and tie it at the bottom, it'll have the same effect.
You could try a bun on top of your head, but I find it gives me a headache.
Parting your hair on diffrent sides/angles can also help.
I've also read somewhere on here that castor oil can help with hair loss, though I'm not sure how the results were.
You might also try massaging your scalp, it feels nice and helps with the circulation :)
I noticed biotin in your list :) that I do know is good for hair! (and your nails)

I can't help much with your diet, I eat pizza at 3am so I'm not much help at all :P

mazza
March 7th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I agree that a pony tail wont do much to help, the lenth is still lose and can get chaffed/knotted. I'd try a simple braid with a cloth ponytail holder at the bottom.
If your partner (assuming you have one) doesnt' care how it looks, I've read scrunchies are the best type of hairtie and for bed time I'm sure it wont matter what it looks like.
If you have troble doing a standard braid, you can just wrap two strands around each other and tie it at the bottom, it'll have the same effect.
You could try a bun on top of your head, but I find it gives me a headache.
Parting your hair on diffrent sides/angles can also help.
I've also read somewhere on here that castor oil can help with hair loss, though I'm not sure how the results were.
You might also try massaging your scalp, it feels nice and helps with the circulation :)
I noticed biotin in your list :) that I do know is good for hair! (and your nails)

I can't help much with your diet, I eat pizza at 3am so I'm not much help at all :P

lol. Thanks.
Forgot to mention, I had to stop eating fruits or in this case bananas because of the acid in some of the fruits. Are fruits important for hair? I might go back to eating bananas just to see how I get on with the diet change I had for the last few months.