PDA

View Full Version : drying hair

lolar
February 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Advice please! I'd really like some ideas to dry my hair, I've always blow dried it and would like to stop. I do use heat protection. My hair is thick so it takes way to long to dry naturally - if I sleep with wet hair, it's still wet in the morning and it smells damp and if I put it in an undo it will stay damp for days. Also it always looks generally limp and almost greasy when it's air dried! Any ideas?!

melusine963
February 25th, 2013, 10:53 AM
If you really don't like the non-blowdried results, then just keep using a blowdrier on low heat. That shouldn't cause too much damage, especially if you us a heat protectant.

My hair also takes days to dry naturally when it's cold. I find it helps to wear it down for a little, and then to make a half-up to let the underside air dry a bit before bunning or braiding.

bradlea
February 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
If you blow dry it using the cool air setting, it isn't hot enough to do much or any damage, I think. I'm sure it takes a pretty long time, but maybe it's not too bad? Also, if you try it, make sure you point the dryer down, in the direction the cuticle lays.

88bernice
February 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I will suggest always wash your hair early in the morning (the first thing to do when you wake up if posible), you can use the cool setting on the blow dryer, also while your hair is drying naturally you can use your fingers or a comb to separate the strands so the air can flows easier between your hair. Hope that helps, I am new to the Long Hair Community so I think there could be more tips for you. Take care ;)

CJCHair-stylist
February 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM
A lot of people sit by a regular fan( warm or cold air) while watching TV or sitting by the computer. You could also dry your hair on the cold setting of your hairdryer. The setting one up from cold should be okay though provided you don`t put it too close to your hair when you dry it. Also dry your hair upside down without the nozzle attachment on, it dries a lot quicker that way. You can finish off with a drop or two of mineral oil to moisturize.

lolar
February 25th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys, and welcome Bernice :)

Mischamiu
February 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
My sister has thick hair too, she has been drying it with a blowdrier for years and doesn't seem too have any problems :)

Mandie
February 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
My hair isn't thick, but there's a ton of it and it retains water like a sponge (you should've seen the looks on the faces of the hairstylists I used to go to). For me squeegieing out my hair gently for a few minutes in the shower, and then wrapping it up in a t-shirt turban and letting it sit for about 15-20min, then letting it down and letting it hang loose for a few hours with combing/brushing here and there, works great.

Celtic Morla
February 25th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I have found that my hair dries much faster when I use a vinegar rinse, don't know if you have trie d one. If I use conditioner of any type my hair can take hours to dry naturally!

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I use a hair turbie towel half ways then air dry.

pixietail
February 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM
If I'm in a hurry I sit in front of a room fan and dry my hair that way. To speed things up you could try holding sections of hair up to the fan and try to dry it that way.

lapushka
February 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Advice please! I'd really like some ideas to dry my hair, I've always blow dried it and would like to stop. I do use heat protection. My hair is thick so it takes way to long to dry naturally - if I sleep with wet hair, it's still wet in the morning and it smells damp and if I put it in an undo it will stay damp for days. Also it always looks generally limp and almost greasy when it's air dried! Any ideas?!

Blow drying on warm or cool instead of hot is the thing to do. That way it won't damage your hair. No, it will *not* damage your hair. If you hold your hand in the air stream and it doesn't burn, then you're good to go.

katiebeans
February 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM
A lot of great advice here, like using the cool setting or sitting in front of a fan. I have seen towels that are made to soak up more water and dry hair faster, however I have never tried one and dunno if they work the way they claim to :)

LadyLongLocks
February 25th, 2013, 06:11 PM
You might try drying with a large fan. I do this but mostly when it is warmer (not in winter) I squeeze as much water as possible with several t-shirts, mostly the back under layers. Then just use the fan.Be sure to stand far enough away so you never flip your hair into the fan. A hair dryer on cool is safe and you have a bit more control of the air. If you dont mind a little heat, switch the dryer from cool to warm. That's what I usually do. I really hate wet hair and half dry hair so I like it dry quickly. I have been using a blowdryer since I was 14 and they CAN be a safe tool if used correctly. Take breaks and dont dry it all at once. I do it in 3-4 sessions lasting about 3-5 minutes letting the hair relax and air dry for 5-10 min in in between.I never use heat protectant sprays.

lapushka
February 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM
If you dont mind a little heat, switch the dryer from cool to warm. That's what I usually do. I really hate wet hair and half dry hair so I like it dry quickly. I have been using a blowdryer since I was 14 and they CAN be a safe tool if used correctly.

Agree with this 100%. I hate wet hair as well. Letting it dry for about an hour is fine, but then the wetness needs to come out, for me!

long&blonde
February 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I sit in front of a large box fan.
When it's too chilly for that, right now I have it tanglefree on a satin pillow behind me.
If I bun it up, it will stay damp for days. A low ponytail, then tossed up,over & under my pillow will allow it to dry better than a sleep bun, & allow me to go to sleep.

browneyedsusan
February 26th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I bought one of these: http://www.goody.com/Products/Styling_Tools/QUIK_STYLE_Paddle_Brush for DD (16). She has WL hair, and if she uses it, she needs only a few minutes with the blowdryer to finish it off. (I got the brush at Walmart in the hairtoy aisle.)

Jenny31557
February 26th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hi, you could maybe just use a towel to dry your hair all the way maybe even two depending on how long your hair is.
Hope this helps

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hi, you could maybe just use a towel to dry your hair all the way maybe even two depending on how long your hair is.
Hope this helps

Towels hardly dry your hair all the way. ???

winship2
March 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I've been meaning to share this idea about drying hair for a while: I gently squeegee, then gently pat with a regular towel, then gently squeeze it with a big piece of heavy linen cloth leftover from a sewing project, then gently squeeze and pat my scalp with regular paper towels. This gets out a LOT of the last water. I lay the paper towels down to dry for the next say so I can re-use them, and they last for a couple of weeks so I don't think it's wasteful. This makes a big difference in drying time for me.

Sharysa
March 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I have thick and coarse hair, and it can take at least a night to dry if left in braids. I usually squeegee as much water out of the length as I can with my hands (not with my towel, that makes TONS of frizz and comes later anyway), and then pat my scalp down and leave my hair damp so I can oil it.

dulce
March 18th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I love using a floor fan,dries super fast with no heat ,lets my arms be free to be on the computer!

lmfbs
March 18th, 2013, 10:53 PM
My hair easily takes 4-5 days to dry in cold weather if I have it up. I don't blowdry because a) nothing seems more boring to me and b) tired arms.

I wash my hair, squeeze water out with my hands, then wrap it in a microfibre towel for 20-30min. I wrap it in another, dry microfibre overnight, then in the morning it's jsut damp. I try to leave it loose for the first day after washing when I'm inside, then it's pretty much dry.

Natalia
March 18th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Microfiber or viscose towels. I got the two pack from trader joes they are called kitchen clothes but really all they are is a super absorbent towel. I gently squeeze out myhair post shower, blot with a regular towel, then go through in sections with the viscose towel and it gets it much much drier. I shower before bed and used to wake up with big damp spots which make it very hard to comb the towels have helped a ton.