PDA

View Full Version : I want bangs!Or not.

LadyCelestina
February 25th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hi! :)
I have coarseish 2c/3a hair down to my waist and on top of being poofy,it is also fairly thick - pony circumferance 9-10 cm.Right now,I'm having strong urges to cut in some long bangs,but I'm afraid of doing something on an impulse and ending up with a hairy horror shudder:. So,I'm turning to you,long hair community,please talk me out of it or make me do it!

So the style I want is basically something along the lines of this
http://img.banggood.com/images/upload/2012/lixia/SKU052287-1%20(10).jpg
It's the closest I could find- I want minimum layers cut in,as I already went through the pain of growing them out after deciding they make my hair look too choppy as it grows.But all the pictures I found usually involve some layering

My biggest worries are

x That I won't be able to style it - hair in the front gets greasy easily,so I think I'd have to wash the fringe daily?
x That it will just lay here,screaming "look,chopped off hair!",because my hair is so heavy it basically never does that pretty flippy at the ends thing finer hair does.
x That it will make my chin look huge!

I have already sorted how much hair I'm willing to sacrifice for the fringe,so that the rest of hair doesn't look too thin and I have a feeling that this might work.
I'm keeping the two weeks rule right now,but I was dreaming of such bangs ever since I started growing my hair...Should I take the plunge?:confused:

minxe
February 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
x Dry shampoos or baby powder is great at keeping grease at bay.
x Make a big pin curl with it, or invest in a large roller or two to get that flip. My hair is thick and heavy too, and it works just fine for me.
x Bangs that length normally tend to "soften" the chin.
: )

Naiadryade
February 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I think we're going to need pictures to really decide. :popcorn:

Seeshami
February 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM
That's what clip in bangs are for!

Photobucket is dead so I can't post a picture of the ones I use. :(

SnowWhite
February 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
x I've got bangs and they never get greasy. Perhaps I'm just fortunate, but the greasiness might just not happen. Does your hair gets greasy easily?
x This style of bangs are very easy to style. You can bobby pin them away, you can curl them with a roller, braid them, whatever. These bangs are better to style than short ones!!
x That really depends on your face. I think however that pronounced chins look elegant, but perhaps that's just me.

Kiwiwi
February 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
You say you have 2c/3a hair. I can't have bangs with my 3b hair.
They will just curls up or poof up.

You may need to heatstyle it to make it lay the way you want. But if you intend on keeping your bangs heatstyling doesn't really matter because you will keep trimming it to maintain the length and thus you will trim possible heatstyle damage off, so that's ok.
But then, realise that the weather will affect your heatstyled bangs. Rain will make it poof. Humidity will make it poof. Just something to consider.

I'd say if this is what you've been wanting so long; go for it. Just make sure you do find models with your hair type to compare yourself to. The picture you posted is, I think, not your hair type. And you might think it'll look like that but it won't.

Yes, maybe show us some pictures of your hair to us. Just to have an idea of how it may look :)

LadyCelestina
February 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice,minxe!
Seeshami,clip in bangs are a good option if I wanted to try out how the hairstyle will look on me,but seem not to really be a choice...I'm growing out black dye,so,unless they sell two toned ones ...which grow like the rest of your hair...

...Well I guess I could dig up a picture,but,it will mostly likely look a bit,weird.I haven't taken a "normal" pic in months and my camera is at friends house.
Edit:
Took a very crappy pic with my webcam.(I'm sorry but I have no pictures that show the texture well,as my hair is dark/ I don't take pics of it as often as I should/ I curl for pictures...There's a pic in my album taken in the sun and one with flash.)
****deleted pics for face showing on google****

I need to pluck my brows-the pink things are my knees.

spidermom
February 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Bangs work just fine for my 2C (more or less) hair. I have a small flat iron that I use on my bangs if they go all wonky on me. It's really easy to wash just my bangs. I put a shower cap over the rest. It's amazing how much clean bangs perks up the look of all my hair when it's oily (and braided or bunned, of course).

I really like the added styling options that bangs and a little face-framing give me.

Seeshami
February 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Seeshami,clip in bangs are a good option if I wanted to try out how the hairstyle will look on me,but seem not to really be a choice...I'm growing out black dye,so,unless they sell two toned ones ...which grow like the rest of your hair...

...Well I guess I could dig up a picture,but,it will mostly likely look a bit,weird.I haven't taken a "normal" pic in months and my camera is at friends house.

Buy the kind you can dye.

LadyCelestina
February 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Buy the kind you can dye.

I'm sorry,I don't get you right now...I could dye them half black,of course,but not only it would be kind of hard to match,since I have black dye layered over henna and such,but also,as my hair would grow,it would make them kind of useless...because the demarcation line on the clip in bangs will not travel any further...
Of course,I could just use temporary dye and let it wash out,then re-dye,but that's too much maintenance.

Please,explain :).

I

spidermom
February 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
If you got bangs cut, you would probably be cutting off old color anyway. They aren't necessarily going to match two-tone hair. I think you only need to be concerned with matching the hair closest to your face if you got clip-in bangs.

LadyCelestina
February 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
You say you have 2c/3a hair. I can't have bangs with my 3b hair.
They will just curls up or poof up.

You may need to heatstyle it to make it lay the way you want. But if you intend on keeping your bangs heatstyling doesn't really matter because you will keep trimming it to maintain the length and thus you will trim possible heatstyle damage off, so that's ok.
But then, realise that the weather will affect your heatstyled bangs. Rain will make it poof. Humidity will make it poof. Just something to consider.

I'd say if this is what you've been wanting so long; go for it. Just make sure you do find models with your hair type to compare yourself to. The picture you posted is, I think, not your hair type. And you might think it'll look like that but it won't.

Yes, maybe show us some pictures of your hair to us. Just to have an idea of how it may look :)

That's a very good point,Kiwiwi.My hair is not prone to poofing up with weather,but it does go really poofy if I swoosh it around a lot. Something I should really think twice about.
Personally,I don't mind it being curly.My hair,depending on it's mood,is sometimes about as straight as the hair on the wig in the picture I posted is,until well around chin length where it starts to curl,but I assume it will curl up a bit,when shorter?

x I've got bangs and they never get greasy. Perhaps I'm just fortunate, but the greasiness might just not happen. Does your hair gets greasy easily?
x This style of bangs are very easy to style. You can bobby pin them away, you can curl them with a roller, braid them, whatever. These bangs are better to style than short ones!!
x That really depends on your face. I think however that pronounced chins look elegant, but perhaps that's just me.

The front does get greasy easily...
Yes that's why I want them long - to be able to tuck them in updo's :)...
Well...Maybe on some,but I have a chin like a staffordshire terrier.While those are very nice dogs,that's not my idea of how elegant looks like :-D
Might be a bit off topic,but your hair looks awesome in your avi!

____

On the clip in bangs issue - no that's...something not for me.I just don't like the idea of having fake bangs and spending money on them and,and I just don't like the idea.I'd rather choose between leaving my hair alone and not having what I currently want,or getting done what I currently want and then deal with it if it's terrible.

SnowWhite
February 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Edit:
Took a very crappy pic with my webcam.(I'm sorry but I have no pictures that show the texture well,as my hair is dark/ I don't take pics of it as often as I should/ I curl for pictures...There's a pic in my album taken in the sun and one with flash.)

http://i.imgur.com/c9oxy03.jpg

I need to pluck my brows-the pink things are my knees.

I love your brows!!! Don't overpluck them please :D I love those full brows. (really off topic haha)
And I do think those kind of bangs would look lovely on you!

If your hair gets greasy in the front, well... it gets greasy anyway :P whether if it's shorter or longer...
You could also cut them not so short, like face framing layers, then you can decide if you like it or not.

I vote yes :P but of course, you have to think about it very well, since you'll be the one wearing them with your type of hair :)

ETA and thank you for the compliment!

torrilin
February 25th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Maybe on some,but I have a chin like a staffordshire terrier.While those are very nice dogs,that's not my idea of how elegant looks like :-D

Yeah, except your chin isn't the least bit like a bull terrier in your picture... it's a perfect pointed elfin chin :). So no, looking like a bull terrier isn't too elegant, but that isn't your problem.

It sounds to me like you're seeing a rather different face than everyone else sees, and well... bangs aren't going to fix that. You've got nice strong features and a nice smile, so in principle you can get away with almost anything that makes you happy. I have a huge anti-bangs bias, and a lot of the look you like can be done without cut in bangs. OTOH, bangs do open up some styling options, and I think some of the pro-bang posters have brought up some good ones.

The big thing is how you cut your hair isn't magically going to make you see yourself like the model in the picture :). I think a lot of us are unrealistic about our looks, mostly in the "oh god I'm sooooo ugly" way. I mostly deal with it by trying the put the emphasis on the stuff I do actually like about myself, whether it's fashionable or not. I've got a pretty strong widow's peak and a very round face, so if I emphasize the widow's peak I wind up looking like I have a heart shaped face. I'm also blind as a bat without my glasses. Between that and having fine hair that cheerfully levitates even at waist length... obviously I'm going to think bangs are a terrible idea :D. If you can figure out something you like about your face, it might be easier to figure out what you want to do.

minxe
February 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
You have a cute little heart shaped face! The bangs you want would be really flattering. I say go for it!

cobden 28
February 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
If you have a hairdresser you can really trust, one who isn't too scissor-happy, go to that salon and ask for their advice. A good hairdresser should be able to advise what style fringe would best suit your face, and they will also have lots of hairstyle magazines on the premises that will give you some ideas.

SleepyTangles
February 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I've short, blunt bangs that stick very close my forehead and yes, they get greasy very fast. But the great turnover is that washing my bangs makes my hair look nice and clean without having to stress much the frailer lenght with frequent shampooing, so this may be a good thing, in the long run, expecially if you strech much your washes.
On the other side, longer the bangs, less this happen. The kind of bangs you chose seem very good for your face shape, to me. Your chin IS totally fine, you should see mine :rolling:.

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I think bangs are alright dry shampoo to get rid of greasy and flat iron them when they go every where.

novemberfoxtrot
February 25th, 2013, 06:53 PM
You're really pretty! And your brows are very dramatic! <3 I think you could totally pull off bangs, even blunt ones like Zoey DesChanel.

LadyCelestina
February 26th, 2013, 02:13 AM
torrilin,thank you for your kind response,but I guess it doesn't apply to me - I'm not a least bit self conscious about my looks.Not anymore.But as everyone does,I too am not perfect and have some flaws.My chin really can look very wide,well maybe it would be better to say jawline,basically the bones that lay on your hand when you try to suffocate someone :D.

Thanks everyone for replies,advice,compliments,and to all those who mentioned washing just bangs makes their hair look fresher,because hooray,less washing,less dripping,less wet hair! :D
I will wait out the two weeks and if I decide to cut them,I'll update this thread :)

LadyCelestina
March 11th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I'm back with a huge update!
I admit I chopped in on an impulse the next day and loved it ! :) But,since it's spring and my hair is having its annual growth spurts,it grew back like crazy,so I cut it blunt and will probably keep it like that for some time...Anyway I have no issues with poofy-ness,nor with random curling,but for best results,I have to air dry it naturally without blow drying,which is a pita when washing just bangs.At least my hair isn't as thick in the back and I can do buns with my unicorn fork :)

pics ? here http://imgur.com/a/n5YH0 i'm sorry still no camera,the mess on my table are books,I was studying.

Magalo
March 11th, 2013, 10:41 AM
It's so pretty!! It suits you very well.

Lady Mary
March 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I know it's already been mentioned but I just wash my fringe/bangs in the sink real fast. They dry quick because they are short and they make an otherwise less clean head of hair look fresher because it's the focus point of the hair as it's in the front.

Ah, you did it, looks great! I love it :o

LadyCelestina
March 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thank you!!

Freckled.Thing
March 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I have bangs, and while they do get greasy quickly, I find it very easy to wash them every day without getting the rest of my hair wet. I just throw the rest up into a bun (with a water proof stick) and try to only get the shampoo and water on my bangs. I actually find that washing my bangs every day allows me to stretch washes for the rest of my hair a lot longer, because even if it's been several days since a real wash my hair will still look neat and clean from the front.