PDA

View Full Version : Advice for hair type

writer_mom
February 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I was wondering if any of you have methods that might work for hair like mine. I know that is a lot to ask, so I am just asking for your ideas not an exact answer (unless you have one :P ). My hair is a mix of medium and coarse hairs. It usually won't absorb things like oils; believe me I have tried. I know it needs moisture and some protection because it gets really hot down here and I curl it from time to time (non heat). The ends right now are a bit crunchy since I haven't been able to condition lately; that will be fixed this week through clarifying out the shea. anything you guys can think of for a 1b/ m/c III-IIII like me would be appreciated.

Mommyof4
February 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I like apple cider vinegar rinses and henna/placenta packets.. The packets are around $1 each. With my hair, my ends get crunchy or even velcro-like about every 4-5 months where nothing I do works for it.. and I apply just plain dawn soap to the last 3-4 inches of my hair, and wow at the difference. I put about a dime size in a bath cup and fill the cup with water, then pour it over my ends. Some people would probably think this as a horror.. but it works for me. After I do that, my hair is so weightless and my waves look better. Happy growing :)

lapushka
February 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
With my hair, my ends get crunchy or even velcro-like about every 4-5 months where nothing I do works for it.. and I apply just plain dawn soap to the last 3-4 inches of my hair, and wow at the difference. I put about a dime size in a bath cup and fill the cup with water, then pour it over my ends. Some people would probably think this as a horror.. but it works for me. After I do that, my hair is so weightless and my waves look better. Happy growing :)

That is pretty harsh, but you're basically clarifying your ends... just with dish detergent. :shrug: No wonder your hair is "weightless". :shocked: I'm glad it works for you, though!

kidari
February 24th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I have hair very similar to yours. Lately I've been using a coney deep conditioner as my daily conditioner whenever I wash my hair. I never stretch washes any more than 2 days and I rely on coney leave-ins with oils. I think the combination of the oils with the cones help to absorb into my hair without weighing it down or making it greasy. I also clarify about once every 2 weeks and I adore SMTs. I do those about once a week.

writer_mom
February 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Nice to know I am not alone there :P

thirstylocks
February 24th, 2013, 08:49 PM
@kidari - i also don't stretch washes. i feel like the more i leave my hair dirty, the drier my ends get!! isn't that counter intuitive?? is there any value in washing "our hairtype" MORE often??

writer_mom
February 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have trouble with that too. my ends get crunchy while, after 2 days, the top is stringy and limp. My hair is just fussy. I was wondering if anyone has tried vitamin E oil on their hair, alone. I would think if you need moisture that would do it. Anyone know?