PDA

View Full Version : How to find a hairdresser?

raingirl
February 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Anyone have any tips on finding a good hairdresser, preferably one that is pro-natural treatments like oiling and henna and whatnot?

I had a hairdresser that I liked, but he wasn't really good at letting me do stuff to my hair that I wanted. He was anti-bang and anti-dye and anti-long hair. I always ended up going in and getting shorter layers that I never liked. He was a nice person though and I know he wanted to make my hair look good, but it wasn't "me".

I was going to his salon for about 10 years, but haven't been in over a year. I've only had two haircuts since, both just blunt trims to get rid of layers and done at First Choice (cheap hair cut place).

I want to find a hairdresser I can trust to help me colour correct my henna while I grow it out. I don't have any idea where to start looking though. I also don't have a lot of $$$. I was hoping to maybe find someone who works out of their home or works independently.

I suspect I may cry if I go near a hairdresser and ask for help to fix this, so I'm a little scared right now and not sure where to look for help.

jesis
February 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Have you asked any friends? If you have any friends who have particularly good hair, I would start there. If not, do a Google search for local stylists to see their reviews. Some people's websites even say if they can cut long hair or not (and some charge more).

Good luck!

raingirl
February 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Sadly...I don't really have any friends. Not girl friends at least. Lots of guy friends though. No one with long hair though. The salon I used to go to was recommended by my sister, so she still goes there. Which unfortunately won't help me much.

I've searched online but can't seem to find anything except expensive salons full of chemicals, or the cheap $10 hair cut places.

sisi33
February 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
If you're brave, just go to a salon- pick one, any one!- and see if you like what's coming out of there, if you can talk to a stylist, if they might have a portfolio? Also, you can try to look up online local salons, and just see what reviews come up.
For instance, I just typed in a salon near me, and they have this huge website (http://www.salonaquavit.com/), with a review on the front page from a customer about how they loved their curly hair cut. That's what I, personally, would be looking at. Customers that are willing to review a place, and then go back a second time.

Just don't think that because you go into a salon, that you have to get your hair trimmed there- if you don't like it, just leave. One should always be comfortable with their hairdresser, and most people won't take it personally if you say it doesn't feel like the right fit. Good luck!

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I see if there any long hair friendly salons in your area. If not Id see what kind of reviews they have. If you're bold enough you could just walk into your local salon and see if you like what you see.

spidermom
February 24th, 2013, 12:16 PM
You could go to a local salon within your price range and observe while you pretend to look at style books. If you like what you see, book a consultation or a trim and go from there.

neko_kawaii
February 24th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Or look for stylists that have long hair themselves.

akilina
February 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I wish I could help!

Mostly....you need to use your communication skills really well. Don't be shy or awkward..Just throw it ALL out there about what your hair needs are. There has to be one out there to suit your needs 100% and then some.

I think you could pick any, of course, try to find one with good reviews and positive experiences. Long hair is a plus.

When you go in, before you even sit down you need to communicate that you are TRYING to grow your hair very long, but you want a hair dresser that supports your long hair goal. Explain that your hair is very important to you, and you expect someone to be able to take the correct amount you say off. Tell them that you are looking for a hair dresser who you can STICK WITH in your journey when you need trims and such. Let them know of all your hair goals, and make double sure that they will support you in all of this.

When it comes to when you want length off...Never say "just take off all the damaged hair". People say that, and then act surprised when they get so much more cut off. Tell them the exact amount you want off. make sure they SHOW you how much they are taking off so there is an understanding between the two of you.

Im not sure what to say about the henna. I would not tell them you have henna on your hair quite yet...I wish it was different, but its not. I used to use henna myself and loved it. Most do not understand that there is the garbage, and then that there is REAL Body art quality 100% henna and nothing else. Its a HUGE risk to work on anyones hair if they have used box dye hennas, or henna with weird additives. If someone told me that they used ANYTHING but BAQ henna, I would not do any chemical service on them at all. That being said, I am knowledged in using baq henna, and used it myself very safely.

Im not sure how you can get past the henna thing really...There is such a closed mindedness. The biggest reason why they are against henna is that is a huge liability (in the event that 100% BAQ was not used). If it does come out in the air, tell them that you are willing to sign a waiver just to have your color correction. In most cases, they will not know about 100% BAQ and be closed minded to ANY thing with the word henna in it. Some people here don't get it, and trash talk. I do understand though. Yes, its sad it causes them to be too closed minded, however...the effect of using the wrong henna, paired with certain chemical treatments can lead to absolute and total disaster and catastrophe on ones head. That being known, it causes them to usually stay far and clear away from anyone who even implies that they used henna.
Its a real bummer..but what can you do?

I guess, if they have their reservations you could get together some information to give them with direct information and sitings.

lapushka
February 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I wish I could help!

Mostly....you need to use your communication skills really well. Don't be shy or awkward..Just throw it ALL out there about what your hair needs are. There has to be one out there to suit your needs 100% and then some.

I think you could pick any, of course, try to find one with good reviews and positive experiences. Long hair is a plus.

When you go in, before you even sit down you need to communicate that you are TRYING to grow your hair very long, but you want a hair dresser that supports your long hair goal. Explain that your hair is very important to you, and you expect someone to be able to take the correct amount you say off. Tell them that you are looking for a hair dresser who you can STICK WITH in your journey when you need trims and such. Let them know of all your hair goals, and make double sure that they will support you in all of this.

When it comes to when you want length off...Never say "just take off all the damaged hair". People say that, and then act surprised when they get so much more cut off. Tell them the exact amount you want off. make sure they SHOW you how much they are taking off so there is an understanding between the two of you.

Im not sure what to say about the henna. I would not tell them you have henna on your hair quite yet...I wish it was different, but its not. I used to use henna myself and loved it. Most do not understand that there is the garbage, and then that there is REAL Body art quality 100% henna and nothing else. Its a HUGE risk to work on anyones hair if they have used box dye hennas, or henna with weird additives. If someone told me that they used ANYTHING but BAQ henna, I would not do any chemical service on them at all. That being said, I am knowledged in using baq henna, and used it myself very safely.

Im not sure how you can get past the henna thing really...There is such a closed mindedness. The biggest reason why they are against henna is that is a huge liability (in the event that 100% BAQ was not used). If it does come out in the air, tell them that you are willing to sign a waiver just to have your color correction. In most cases, they will not know about 100% BAQ and be closed minded to ANY thing with the word henna in it. Some people here don't get it, and trash talk. I do understand though. Yes, its sad it causes them to be too closed minded, however...the effect of using the wrong henna, paired with certain chemical treatments can lead to absolute and total disaster and catastrophe on ones head. That being known, it causes them to usually stay far and clear away from anyone who even implies that they used henna.
Its a real bummer..but what can you do?

I guess, if they have their reservations you could get together some information to give them with direct information and sitings.

If there was a like button on here, I'd use it. :D

raingirl
February 25th, 2013, 06:43 AM
If there was a like button on here, I'd use it. :D

I agree - excellent post Akilina!

I live in a city with a HUGE east indian population. I think what I'm going to try doing is see if there are any salons that cater to indian hair, as maybe they would be more long hair/henna friendly. Considering the GTA has the largest east indian population outside India, I'm hoping something like that exists. It just might take some digging.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I will just have to ask a LOT of questions!