PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about bangs.

misspurdy06
February 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM
After a certain length; why maintain them?

Is it for aesthetic reasons?

Or because of pulling from the weight? (happens to me that's why I'm wondering should I cut bangs)I've noticed in the shower and in general a similar pulling like when my hair is in a pony tail. The pulling is causing some discomfort.
I'm also wondering if any of you keep bangs for a comfort reason. Less pulling at your hairline?

Or something else?

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Bangs are a personal choice. If you want thickness I'd let them go but if you want your hair to be more softer looking for up dos bangs would help.

lydiajo
February 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I keep my bangs because I don't think my face looks good without then. Sometimes I let them grow to chin length before I cut them.

Carolyn
February 24th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I can't think of a single reason to have bangs. Mine were always greasy even on the day I washed my hair. They had to be styled daily. Sometimes twice a day. Bangs meant I had less hair in a braid or ponytail and that is not a good thing. I can't see that having bangs would make a difference in the weight of my hair. I think bangs are a fad right now, a fad that I wish would go away soon.

Becky9679
February 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I haven't had them since I was very young. My forehead is rather large so most people would probably expect me to wish to cover it but with bangs I look like a conehead. Also, whatever I did I always had that 'parted with a hatchet' look right in the middle. At times my lack of bangs does make my updos look severe but I just hate them, and hate the way I look with them.

joflakes
February 24th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure! I usually have them but right now they are grown out and in my eyes so I've been braiding them back and embracing the forehead! Hahaha. I might grow them out though, not sure. I guess I just liked the way they look on me!

kaydana
February 24th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I can't think of a single reason to have bangs. Mine were always greasy even on the day I washed my hair. They had to be styled daily. Sometimes twice a day. Bangs meant I had less hair in a braid or ponytail and that is not a good thing. I can't see that having bangs would make a difference in the weight of my hair. I think bangs are a fad right now, a fad that I wish would go away soon.

Bangs are hardly a fad. The exact shapes of the bangs change with fashion, but bangs themselves have been fashionable too many times for far too long to be considered a fad. Women wearing trousers is closer to being a fad than bangs are.

Kiwiwi
February 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I think this is very personal; everyone has their own reasons.
I think mostly because they think it's pretty, just like with every hair style. But that's just me guessing.
It's pretty, wanting to hide a big forehead, wanting to change the shape of the face, it won't grow very long anyway, etc, etc. All reasons that someone could have.

I've never had them but that's because I'm a curly. And in my childhood days my hair was treated like it was straight (like many curlies) and it would just POOF if I would attempt bangs. So, it was never an option to me. But I didn't mind. I've never wanted them. Not for any particular reason. Just because.

I like bangs. It's just another hair style to me. It looks good on many people.

I do wonder if some people have them because of practical reasons. Like it's easier with than without. So I'm curious what other people have to say :)

Magalo
February 24th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I agree with kaydana. Bangs are not a fad.

Not everybody look good with a bare forehead, me included. My forehead is large and very long, and I have a uneven hairline. I'll never grow my bangs. It frame my face, makes updos look softer and less severe. It makes my oblong face look oval and put the focus on my eyes, it's a lot more flattering. It gives dimension to flat, straight hair like mine. The perfect bang always makes somebody look more youthful.

Mine doesn't need styling. It just dry correctly.

Dovetail
February 24th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have a 5-head :c so I keep bangs to make my face look not so sharp.
Other than that, they're a way to change my hairstyle drasticaly without acutally cuting my length. I can have them short and blunt, or side swept, or face framing ect. It give me a bit of "freedom" when I'm feeling the bug!

Right now I have them blunt, but I'm growing them out for a more romantic side swept look for spring. I have pretty thick hair over all, so I don't miss the chunk when I get them cut. I hadn't ever had bangs before this past year, so the inital cut was kinda freaky. My ponytail is still plenty thick though!

I don't style mine, I just brush them to the side after I get out of the shower. Once I grow them out a bit I might do a light curl to help them out on days when I'm going somewhere, but over all for work most of the time I'm just brush and go. Of course, if you don't want to style them make sure to mention it so the stylist can give a cut which will make this easy. I also have a cow lick :c so I have to have part of them longer to weigh it down.

Freckled.Thing
February 24th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Personally I have bangs to make up for always having my hair tied back. When there is no hair whatsoever framing my face it just looks plain bad. Bangs are a pain in the ass to maintain since they're always greasy, have to be washed every day, and I personally like to blow dry them so they're relatively straight, but it's worth it to me. I'm just not confident enough in my appearance to wear my hair up everyday without bangs.