PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut my hair?

Zindell
February 24th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I love long hair, but I also love the hairstyle we call a "page" in Sweden. Not sure if it's called bob or pageboy in english.

My hair is now about midback length... or at least just passed BSL. (I'm only 5'1'' tall)
But I'm not as happy about is as I thought I would be. It just feels a bit boring.
For a long time I've been longing to have waist length hair, and maybe I actually should wait for that to happen before I make any drastic changes.

Anyhows... I did the same kind of cut I'm thinking of a few years back and looking at the pictures it didn't look that bad. But then on the other hand I remember seeing my reflection in store windows back then and just longing for my hair to grow longer again.

Any thoughts?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/Zindell_4aug2007a.jpg
Today it's a bit longer than this...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/Zindell_2okt2007a-1.jpg
The "page" I had a few years ago...

It might just be that the sunshine hit my hair nice on the last pic, but I still miss it some.
But I also remember strongly wishing for it to grow out again.

Argh...

kaydana
February 24th, 2013, 05:29 AM
If you didn't like it when you had it and just wanted it to grow out, then cutting it back in seems like it would be a bad idea. Have you tried experimenting with different updos to make your hair feel less "boring"?

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 05:34 AM
If I were you, I would definitely wait until waist before making a big cutting decision. Perhaps by the time you get there it won't feel boring anymore, and kaydana's idea of trying new updos could help with the blah feelings until then! I keep getting temped to bleach my hair stark white, and I've told myself that if I still want to do it once I've hit waist, then I will. Also, your hair is gorgeous. I understand it feeling boring right now at BSL/MBL, but it's still beautiful and I bet longer hair will be worth the wait. :]

Zindell
February 24th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Thanks kaydana and bradlea for the kind words. :)

I think you are right that I should wait. And I think I know this by myself deep within... I'm just in an awkward phase when it all just feel blah.
(Long cold winter that never seems to end doesn't help).

I am not good at updos, but at least I can do some half ups and a simple french twist. I'll try that and hopefully it'll settle my feelings for now.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2013, 05:47 AM
If you hated it once wouldn't you hate it again. You complain about your hair being boring try a new hair style.

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks kaydana and bradlea for the kind words. :)

I think you are right that I should wait. And I think I know this by myself deep within... I'm just in an awkward phase when it all just feel blah.
(Long cold winter that never seems to end doesn't help).

I am not good at updos, but at least I can do some half ups and a simple french twist. I'll try that and hopefully that'll help my feelings for now.

Anytime :] another thing you could try, if your budget allows, is buying pretty headbands and other hair accessories that don't require any skill. I own tons of headbands and little bows and things just so I can make my hair look more interesting with almost no effort!

DancingQueen
February 24th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Why don't you try the ghairstyle 'faux bob' for a while? Lots of tutorials on youtube, and that way you can revisit it to see if it is you, before you actually cut it. :)

Lilli
February 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM
My hair is similar to yours and I hated it when it was that "page" length. I always looked like a child or what we call here a "soccer mom." You can't really do any styles. I vote keep growing and don't cut it.

spidermom
February 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I agree. Get to your goal of waist first, and try new styles. The faux bob is kind of fun to do.

SnowWhite
February 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I've started the same kind of thread a few weeks ago. I missed my bob.
However, I decided to wait until I reach my goal before cutting it. And now I don't think about that so often anymore!
You need to 'take a final decision', make yourself a promise and stick with it. I mean, if you are at your goal length and you don't like it, you can always cut it!
Imagine if you cut it now and you're going to wonder: what if waist were a great length??!!

It's an awkward length stage but you can get through it!!

dulce
February 24th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Experiment with new and varied hair toys[Ravencroft moon hair forks,Larks squiggly hair sticks,Grahtoe deer antler forks,flexi 8 clips..and many others[see hair toys section on this site] and pair them with new styles.Learn different buns and braids and I guarantee you won't ever be bored with long hair again!!!!A page is cute but all it does is hang there,you cannot do much variety with it.

Isilme
February 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM
All the ideas you have gotten are wonderful! But I just had a thought that since your hair is very light fun colours should show up really well. You could try those clip in highlights that come in an array of colours, like fuchsia, teal, red etc. If you like one of them very much I'm sure you could use some kind of colour like Manic Panic without having to bleach. Just keep in mind that they are semi permanent.

Kome
February 24th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I find that when I took pictures of myself with bad haircuts I would take them to look cute. So... I HATED the haircut and thought I looked hideous, but somehow managed to make the pictures look good. Lol. Keep that in mind!

Zindell
February 24th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I find that when I took pictures of myself with bad haircuts I would take them to look cute. So... I HATED the haircut and thought I looked hideous, but somehow managed to make the pictures look good. Lol. Keep that in mind!

This is not very far fetched! I found some more pics of my "page" that didn't look as great as the one I posted... so maybe I just really like that pic. :o

You need to 'take a final decision', make yourself a promise and stick with it.

This also hit home. In fact I was always a bit interested in the "page" cut and that time a few years ago was me "making the final decision". I decided to cut my hair into the "page" one time so that I have tried it at least once in my life, then go on to my dream goal of long hair.
So I tried it. And liked it for a few weeks, but even during the time I felt good about it, I also hated it for beeing too short.
I kinda forgot about all that, but your post reminded me. Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the great ideas you all posted in this thread and thanks for the encouragement. I will play around a bit with different hairdos and even try the faux bob. Not sure I can do it though since I'm not very good with updos. On the other hand I find them easier to make the longer my hair gets.

Another cure for my dilemma is probably next season of Game of Thrones that starts in a month. Fantasy movies with beautiful long-haired people always set me on right path again. :inlove: