PDA

View Full Version : Do you (secretly) like short hair?

Luminaria
February 24th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Confession time! Do you like any short hairstyles (bobs, pixies, etc.)? Do you think about cutting your hair short or have fond memories of short hair? I gotta admit...I like short hairstyles (and yes, I know this is the LONG hair community, but still...). They look so carefree and refreshing. When I cut my hair to ear length last year, I felt so....free. I don't regret it. Instead, I miss it sometimes.

zombi
February 24th, 2013, 02:38 AM
It's not a secret. Yes, I do like short hairstyles -- and I've tried them! But I prefer my hair long, and that's why I decided to grow it out :) But I do still look at styles and think "how cute"!

Audhumla
February 24th, 2013, 02:40 AM
My hair is creeping up on WL and I do miss my chin-length bob in a few ways.
Short hair has a lot less propensity to go fuzzy and I wouldn't have to contemplate an updo strategy before cuddling my boyfriend.
I could heat style it and it wouldn't really matter . . .

I do really love having longer hair when it's behaving but it's a bit up and down either way.
Either I get buildup or frizz issues now and then with long hair or I have to spend inordinate amounts of money and risk my dignity every few weeks getting a hair cut which could go either way.

Luminaria
February 24th, 2013, 02:47 AM
It's not a secret. Yes, I do like short hairstyles -- and I've tried them! But I prefer my hair long, and that's why I decided to grow it out :) But I do still look at styles and think "how cute"! "Cute." That's the word I was looking for when writing the thread! It totally slipped my mind, but I agree--short hair is cute.

Luminaria
February 24th, 2013, 02:51 AM
My hair is creeping up on WL and I do miss my chin-length bob in a few ways. Short hair has a lot less propensity to go fuzzy and I wouldn't have to contemplate an updo strategy before cuddling my boyfriend. I could heat style it and it wouldn't really matter . . . I do really love having longer hair when it's behaving but it's a bit up and down either way. Either I get buildup or frizz issues now and then with long hair or I have to spend inordinate amounts of money and risk my dignity every few weeks getting a hair cut which could go either way. Yeah, short or long hair can be a mixed bag. Short hair was easier for me to detangle, but I couldn't tie it. Now, that it's longer, it's the opposite. Though with frizz and poofiness it's the same... >_> I'm hoping my hair will gain some weight (haha) when it's longer.

minxe
February 24th, 2013, 03:16 AM
I love short hair on other people. It's just not for me.

Iolanthe13
February 24th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I occasionally look at vintage hairstyles that require shorter hair and wish I could do them, but I wouldn't have the patience or the free time to do pincurls every time I washed. Modern short hairstyles would clash pretty badly with my personality I think.

Every once in a while I see a bob that really suits the person wearing it, and when my friend was growing out her pixie some of the awkward stages were oddly flattering. Frankly, though, I think you need a very specific sort of face to pull off really short hair, and I think many short-haired women I see would look better with longer hair.

kidari
February 24th, 2013, 03:40 AM
I love short hair, medium hair, and long hair. I have had all except a pixie and anything longer than waist and loved all of it. There are pros and cons to it all. Right now I love long hair on myself and I feel like I want long hair forever but there might be a day when I want to go shorter again. When I see really awesome shorter cuts I want to chop and when I see gorgeous long hair I with my hair looked like theirs.

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Agreed!

I love short hair sometimes, but I finally figured out that in the end I always regret every single change I make to my natural hair. So now I'm just leaving it be and letting it do it's lil thing. But I love sassy hair at any length, as long as it is flattering to the wearer.

pepperminttea
February 24th, 2013, 03:52 AM

Same! I love the short flapper bobs, but on me? Oh dear goodness no.

Ahl
February 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I quite like the look of a pixie cut if the face is right for it... and if I didn't have such a square jawline, I might have one myself! My features aren't ... delicate?... enough to pull it off.

DancingQueen
February 24th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I love short hairstyles, and I tried them from time to time. I just prefer my hair long, as it is much easier to handle than when it is short. But I sometimes wish I could just wear a short/asymmetrical stylish cut.

Mischamiu
February 24th, 2013, 05:12 AM
I love shoulder hair length I think it is just way too cute... I sometimes look back on pictures from last year and really think it looked nice but then I remember how much I hated it :( I think that long hair is better because you can always "fake" a pixie so thats what I do sometimes :blossom:

SleepyTangles
February 24th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I do, expecially pixies or asymmetrical cuts (I frankly hated my bob)! But I like long hair even more, they match my personality way better at this point.
Plus, I had a pixie for 10/12 years, so they don't enthrill me much. We had a big boom of short and asymmetrical cuts for the girls, the last season, but the trend didn't get my attention very much until I was in a pub and almost every girl around either had: Midback or Waist lenght hair (very long, at least here) or very very short, side-shaved/under-shaved alternative haircut. I liked the contrast between the very long and the very short!
This said, I'm gonna fall in the "very long" side :eyebrows:...
Not counting that my oval child face turned pretty oblong in the teens, it needs some softness and waves floating aroung to balance itself out ;).

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I like short hair on others not me.

Vampyria
February 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I like it on others, if it suits them and if the hair looks healthy (black, red, white blonde bobs, pixies not so much). I liked shorter hair (just slightly past shoulder) on myself only because it didn't look so flat and actually looked thicker, but hair that short or even shorter doesn't suit me. I have saved the flatness problem with face framing layers anyway.

Becky9679
February 24th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Though short hair can look nice, for me nothing has the :agape: factor of long hair, unless it is a shaved head (on a lady). I will confess I nurse a desire to shave my head one day, though so far I've never followed through on it. I guess I'm a person of extremes!

Lilli
February 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I really liked my chin length, A-line bob. So chic and always looked styled and neat and fashionable. No damage, just shine and movement. But my hair underlayers are now too wavy for that look to work without much flatironing, and I do find long hair so sexy that I probably won't go short again.

march_sun
February 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I'm glad I tried out a pixie cut. I even liked the way it looked on me, but I feel more comfortable with longer hair.

AMD
February 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I love how a long bob looks on me. It just frames my face so well, but I still love the feeling and ease and general look of long hair.
I used to chop it off to that length every few years, but I think I'm just going to start using the "fake short hair" techniques I saw in the hairstyle of the month thread to resist the scissors. :lala:

lazuliblue
February 24th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I loved my pixie. Not many people my age (22) have them where I live, so it was quite unique. But the grass is always greener, and I wanted long hair!

joflakes
February 24th, 2013, 08:14 AM
It isn't much of a secret, haha! I have always kept my hair short but I like it best on other people now =)

sisi33
February 24th, 2013, 08:34 AM
It's not a secret. Yes, I do like short hairstyles -- and I've tried them! But I prefer my hair long, and that's why I decided to grow it out :) But I do still look at styles and think "how cute"!

Could not have said it better!

Mononoke
February 24th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I really like shoulder length hair. I think it is usually quite flattering.

About cutting temptations - sometimes I think about how having a shaved head would be :P But it's not going to happen soon.

oktobergoud
February 24th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I LOVE short hair. I've had pixies for years and I love them dearly. I'm thinking a lot about cutting my hear (not pixie length though but like a choppy bob or something), but I know it won't be 'new' for long. But yes, I love short hair :)

mzBANGBANG
February 24th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I love short hair, I can rock it, and I do miss it... But I really want to see what its like to have really long hair.

neko_kawaii
February 24th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Secret? I've had everything from shaved to hip length and the only thing I didn't like was the awkward length where it was hard to keep out of my face and off my neck, but it was still cute. I just decided I preferred the ease of a braid and washing twice a week to fussing over hair everywhere and washing every other day.

MonaMayfair
February 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Same! I love the short flapper bobs, but on me? Oh dear goodness no.

That's how I had my hair cut when I first joined LHC about 3 1/2 years ago. I had been lurking here for a couple of years before that, but it didn't make me want to keep my hair long! :)
The bob looked awesome, but was a complete pita to style. I'd always wanted a bob (a vintage looking one, not a modern layered one) and I stood out because almost all other girls seem to have long hair.
Too much work and too expensive to maintain though.
A lot of people look so much better with short hair, it's worth the effort. I LOVE Miley Cyrus' hair now it's short. I also loved her long hair in Hannah Montana, but only because I like extensions.

ravenreed
February 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I love short styles. Pixie cuts are adorable. I really love that with shorter hair, you can dye it and bleach it and not worry.

rock007junkie
February 24th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I like some short haircuts but I've been there and done that...never again

Nique1202
February 24th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Everyone who sees pictures of my old pixie cut says it looks much better on me than my hair now (awkward shoulder-to-APL stage, no wonder!) and I liked a lot of things about it.

I liked looking a little more androgynous (in my face, if not my body) and I liked that I could just wash it and let it dry, it was cut really well so I didn't need to style it at all. I liked the way it suited my face (my face has been described as "fey" and "elfin" and I even have slightly pointed ears, so I looked very mischievous and sassy a lot of the time).

I didn't like having to wash it more frequently, and not really being able to style it any way other than it was cut. i didn't like that it didn't frame my face or soften it at all, everything about my face looked very pointed and sharp, which helped with the fey/elfin look, but doesn't help when you want to look softer or professional instead of like a troublemaker!

I'm really glad I did it, just to know what it's like on me, but I do feel more and more like myself as it's growing out.

88bernice
February 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM
It was very hard to me to be strong enough to not cut my hair in any shorter style I liked in December. I am a girl that like changes in style and to keep scissors or dye away was almost imposible!

spidermom
February 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
No secret; I think short hair has a lot of advantages. But been there done that; don't want it anymore.

maborosi
February 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Not secretly.
I do like short hair and I liked my short hair. I just like long hair more :P

~maborosi~

Syaoransbear
February 24th, 2013, 10:38 AM
This (http://cloud.faout.com/S/201111/goods-img/1322438486452-P-173991.jpg) kind of a bob with blunt bangs is the only short hairstyle that I like.

woolyleprechaun
February 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I love short hair; I think it looks cute, playfull and elfin. However, I am definately NOT cute, playfull of elfin :P

SnowWhite
February 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yeps, I LOVE short hair. I loved it on myself and I love it on others. Not on everyone though, I think you need a certain type of face to pull off short hair.

Neneka
February 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I have had short hair many times. In the past I used to grow my hair to APL-BSL and then cut it very short and then grow it out again. Short hair feels good and it's cute and you can dye and style it more than long hair. I love it on others and I like my shoulder length hair too although I am growing it out. It's not forbidden to like in-between stages. ;)

lapushka
February 24th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I like any sort of hair, or hairstyle. Doesn't mean that I'm going to cut my hair short or to a different hairstyle any time soon, though. :)

CurlyCap
February 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
No secret here. I love short hairstyles, enough to get my own pixie. I don't regret having done it. In my mind, hair can always grow back.

It matters what you like. I LOVED being able to wash and go in 5 minutes. I LOVED being able to heat style in 10 minutes and not worry about permanent damage. Actually, I wish I had played more with dyes, because now my hair is too long to easily grow out an experiment.

In the end, I decided I prefer updos and BIG hair to short hair. I've had really volumized hair all my life and I missed it when it was short.

But it was so sweet when a bottle of conditioner lasted all month. So sweet...

kouran
February 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I'm quite fond of some 1920s hairstyles, like the bob, I had it when I was little, it looked so nice with my fair skin, reddish lips and dark hair, I secretly wish to have it again!! Like, right now, it was so much lighter! :D

renia22
February 24th, 2013, 03:14 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wAhMb7YDarM/UAHiYqKHmaI/AAAAAAAAKTE/wPoE_LlGytA/s1600/100issue+(3).jpg

I love, love, love this actress's hair who plays Maggie Greene on "The Walking Dead". My hair was similar a few years ago, but it didn't look as good on me, so I grew it out some.

AnqeIicDemise
February 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Its not a secret I like short hair. I just don't like it on me. ^-^

Some of my friends have these cute little styles that I wish I could get away with but I have weird cowlicks that ruin the look.

TheMechaGinger
February 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I definitely miss my chin length bob sometimes, I just washed it and let it air dry and it always fell perfectly. Long hair for me is more work, but it's work I enjoy. I love brushing and oiling and experimenting with new conditioners but sometimes when I don't have time I really miss the short hair, just not enough to go back to it.

Zesty
February 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Again, not a secret. Lately I've been struggling with a longing for shoulder length hair. I'm pretty sure I would miss washing it less and putting it up, but I keep thinking that I would look so much prettier with shorter hair. Le sigh.

ladonna
February 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I love short hair. My hair doesn't like being short and rebells.

jeanniet
February 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I love short hairstyles. They don't look good on me, but I enjoy seeing them on other people who carry them off well. My niece cut her waist-length hair to just above her shoulders a couple of years ago, and while I think she looks lovely with long hair, the shorter cut looks really cute on her as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with short hair at all--I mean, if you don't like long hair, you shouldn't be pressured into it any more than we should be pressured into having shorter hair.

ghost
February 24th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I like short hair a lot as long as I don't have to wear it! 20's bobs are adorable, especially in fingerwaves, and I'm particularly enamored of the 1960's super-short, super-cute Vidal Sassoon pixie cuts -all sleek hair and bold lines.

ladylowtide
February 24th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I love an angled bob! So pretty, and flattering, and fashionable! I also love long hair, but I will never like medium length hair, particularly on me, it just looks so bad!

Babyfine
February 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I really love bobs. I like Pixies and short bobs but those styles don't suit me. Shoulder length hair does, though, and sometimes I am tempted to cut it back into a long bob,but then it takes years to grow it back out...........

HintOfMint
February 24th, 2013, 05:18 PM
It's no secret, I adore short haircuts of all types! I can pull them off but just barely and it takes a ton of styling and then makeup. Instead, I live vicariously through other people who don't have my chipmunk cheeks or crazy puffy hair.

QMacrocarpa
February 24th, 2013, 05:25 PM
No secret, I like my hair fine in a chin-length bob. But I also like it longer, and my husband prefers it longer, so I'm going with that. Shorter than chin-length and I move into the territory where strangers call me "sir" (or "that guy"), so not the look I like.

MrsGuther
February 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I have course, wavy hair and short hair would make me look like a triangle head. So no, I don't secretly like short hair (on myself). On other people I LOVE short hair sometimes. I like the look of a stacked bob on a person with straight silky hair. It's adorable. :)

Annibelle
February 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I was just drying my hair and playing around with my curly, fluffy bangs, and thinking of how cute my hair would look if it were all that length. :) Unfortunately, it would look weird with my wide face. (And my DH would hate it... :lol: )

akilina
February 24th, 2013, 06:18 PM
What is short?

My hair is 3 inches past apl short and I despise this length.
Having a chin length A line was so fun. Short is always fun but honestly the whole grow out sucks. From chin to at least apl is obnoxious. I still find my length very obnoxious and don't know what length would make me happy.
I often want to give up and cut my hair off but since I have gained weight I know I wouldn't be happy with that. It also would not help my hair be any longer.

Islandgrrl
February 24th, 2013, 06:31 PM
No big secret. I've said it before. I love short hair. Really short hair. And I look great with short hair. Probably better than I look with long hair. It's also not a secret that I'm too lazy to maintain short hair. All the fussing frustrates the heck out of me. Long hair is so much easier!

EdG
February 24th, 2013, 06:33 PM
No, I don't like short hair on myself.

Short hair would bring back painful childhood memories. My short-haired days ended along with the 1980s. I haven't ever looked back.
Ed

browneyedsusan
February 24th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I wore a pixie for 15 years! Of course I like short hair! Short, long, bald as a cue ball... rock what you've got!

UltraBella
February 24th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I think short hair is very fun and stylish, I think it can also be very sexy.

My own hair is getting shorter and shorter, I recently cut it to collar bone length and then cut it again a week later so that it's shorter in the back - it's just brushing my shoulder. Love it :)

starlamelissa
February 24th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I like a flapper style bob, but my current length, (I call it belt resting length) suits me. So I just leave it.

dragonfly90
February 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I think really short hair looks great on some people! Ever since I shaved my head, though, I've been obsessed with growth. Although I've been told that I pull off short hair really well, I don't feel that it suits my personality.

Rini
February 24th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I always fantasize about having really short hair or dyeing my hair. I would never do either of those things, but I still like to imagine them. I guess it's a sort of "secret" because if I told people, they'd all try and talk me out of it (or wonder why I don't do it!) and I don't have any intention anyway.

floralgem
February 24th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I did try short hair once, but looking at the pictures....it didn't work. But I do love looking at short hairstyles in magazines and on others.

Demi-Plum
February 25th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Every now and then I wonder what I would look like with short hair. Apparently it's "best" for fine/thin hair. My ass it's best! But not having short hair since I was 5 does lead you every now and again to wonder how I would look that way. If I wasn't terrified of big chops I might try it one day, but since I almost got sick watching when my mother went from waist to BSL....I think that that day might never come. Until then I can have fun with wigs and other things if I so choose!

Eireann
February 25th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I love the way short hair feels. I had a pixie cut for years, but it was just too high maintenance. I ended up getting it cut every 4 weeks. Then, growing it out was sooo painful. I do think I will have a bob again sometime, when I decide I need a change.

HylianGirl
February 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I like hair, no matter the length, and short hairstyles are really cute. Sometimes I wish to have one of those super shorties, and maybe I'll do it someday, but I just love the feeling of long hair, and also I love braids. And I'm too lazy to style the hair everyday xD

Still there are some really cool short haircuts out there

jextxadore
February 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
At times I do miss my days of short hair, but it's like Eireann says — it kind of ends up being the same amount of maintenance (if not more) and growing it out is the most annoying hair-related experience I've ever gone through.

By maintenance I mean regular trimming to keep it the right length (with long hair, no one really notices if you never trim); bed hair is a massive issue as hair will just stick up in every direction conceivable; at slightly longer than pixie lengths wind will mess up your hair and make it obvious (whereas long hair will just stay because of its weight).

On the other hand, regular trimming means you can do pretty much whatever you want to your hair and the damage will be gone (snipped) within a maximum of 2 months (for most people).

But the toys…no barrettes, no hairsticks (which even at just past APL I find hard to use)…

Eh. I mean, if I ever go outdoor rock climbing or something like that I can just braid and stuff it into a big bandana or something.

Katze
February 25th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I am in love with the shaved-sides modern mohawk looks that are fashionable right now. Every time I see a woman with one I can't help staring. Usually women with this do have black-dyed hair (here where I live anyway) and are younger than me and kind of punk, something that I long for, I guess.

When I had short hair, it was awkward most of the time and I needed to have some bits longer around my face. My face was more round in those days; it's gotten more angular, but also more jowly, so I don't know what it would look like short. The no-man's-land between chin and shoulder (in other words, the grow-out) was HORRIBLE on me. Totally unflattering, matronly, and ugly.

Since I am currently experiencing a serious shed I am honestly contemplating going short so I don't have to have straggly ratty length again (I waited the last shed, almost 4 years ago, out, and was unhappy with my hair most of the time). Maybe doing something really radical would be satisfying.

leslissocool
February 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM
It's no secret, I really like the shorter on the back longer on the front bobs (I forgot the name though) like Victoria Beckham sported for so long.

I tried having it, and it's a nightmare on my type of hair I had to straighten it and style daily. Long hair is easy to take care of and it just works for my hair.

pixietail
February 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I love short hair myself. Cute pixie style cuts or super thick, glossy bobs make me smile, especially with dark hair. But for myself, I want long hair. At least for now. Who knows, maybe someday I'll change my mind and what it short again. But for now I'm following my lifelong dream of seeing just how long I can grow it.

Fufu
February 25th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I adore short hair :) The shortest I can carry is bob hair style, chin-length and anything shorter than that I can't carry it off.

OakTreeGirl
February 25th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I've had just past chin length hair and loved it. Everybody thought it looked pretty on me.

There were just two problems. First off, I hated styling it. I have a personal aversion to hair products. (This may not even be rational, but I just feel gross putting products in my hair, unless I've made it in my kitchen from food prodects.) This means that my hair would fly everywhere and get messed up by the wind a lot. Keeping it in line was always a pain. Now that it's longer, it's so much easier to braid or bun it. :)

The second problem was that it made me look "younger". Which is fine, and I know it's what many people really want. But looking young doesn't correspond with my personal idea of what womanly sexiness feels like, so I decided to grow it out.

Vanille_
February 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I got a really short cut to look like Alice in Twilight (the first movie). I loved it. I had it razored and kind of choppy just like hers. I flat ironed it and I just had a lot of fun with it. I knew that since it was so short, the damage would just grow out since my hair grows fast. I've never cut it that short since, because I did get lazy and didn't think about the fact that I would have to style it every day to match hers. And when I didn't it just didn't like as good. Plus as I gained weight, it just wouldn't be as attractive on me.

I know LHC is all about being kind to your hair but the thing I miss the most is not being concerned with every little things that could harm it. Once in a while I entertain the idea of cutting it again. Maybe if I lose the weight I might. I'm still young. It would probably only take about 3-4 years to get back to this length.

This is what it looked like
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/People/Picture2037-1.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/People/Picture2036-1.jpg

And here is my hair now
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/20130105_125014_zpsa7ecb4e6-1_zpse01c57af.jpg

long&blonde
February 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I not even secretly love very short hair, buzz cuts, pixies, shaved heads.
Long hair is the only really feminine thing about me.
I think it looks good long,
The length highlights the waves and curls.
If I was more feminine looking,
I think I would have short hair.

My long hair is "my one girly thing."

Mesmerise
February 25th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I like short hair just fine... on other people ;). I've always been disappointed when I've had my hair cut short (because I guess I always convinced myself it'd look good), but I never really felt that I did look nice with it short... and even when I enjoyed it because it was easy to care for and I could have a bit of fun with it, inevitably I decided to grow it long again, because I just don't feel right with it short...

auburntressed
February 25th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I have never seen a pixie cut that I like. EVER. On ANYONE. I really think that they look awful and cringe at the sight of them. And my view of a "pixie" is anything shorter than chin length.

I DO love bobs on other people, though. I think they are cute, though they wouldn't work on me. My hair doesn't lie properly for a bob, which I learned when I was 8 and tried to get a shoulder length bob (first big chop of my life). My hair is also too thick to effectively wear braids or really any style other than a pony tail at any length shorter than BSL-waist. So I admire bobs when I see them on others, and there are some other shorter hairstyles that I thought suited other people well.

I mean, really my biggest beef with the super short hairstyles (super short meaning anything shorter than shoulder length for most people) is that you get locked into having to wear your hair the same way every day because you just can't DO anything with it. So it may be cute, and it may suit someone quite well... but it also means no variety.

anitacs9101
February 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM

Same! I actually love short hair, I think it looks great on other people. I kinda wish I could rock a short hairstyle, because they're so manageable and easy to style. I could abuse it all I want and practically have a whole new head of hair in a year or two. The only hairstyle I don't really like on anyone is short, straight bobs. They do look great on some people, but on me - blech :p

anitacs9101
February 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I got a really short cut to look like Alice in Twilight (the first movie). I loved it. I had it razored and kind of choppy just like hers. I flat ironed it and I just had a lot of fun with it. I knew that since it was so short, the damage would just grow out since my hair grows fast. I've never cut it that short since, because I did get lazy and didn't think about the fact that I would have to style it every day to match hers. And when I didn't it just didn't like as good. Plus as I gained weight, it just wouldn't be as attractive on me.

I know LHC is all about being kind to your hair but the thing I miss the most is not being concerned with every little things that could harm it. Once in a while I entertain the idea of cutting it again. Maybe if I lose the weight I might. I'm still young. It would probably only take about 3-4 years to get back to this length.

This is what it looked like
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/People/Picture2037-1.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/People/Picture2036-1.jpg

And here is my hair now
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/20130105_125014_zpsa7ecb4e6-1_zpse01c57af.jpg

Cool, it looks just like her's!! I had major jealousy of her hair, too!

I have never seen a pixie cut that I like. EVER. On ANYONE. I really think that they look awful and cringe at the sight of them. And my view of a "pixie" is anything shorter than chin length.

I think you just really need the face for it! I have seen some people, mostly celebrities, that cut to a pixie and I can honestly say they look better or at least the same with it as they do longer hair. But they usually have chiseled features or a feminine face. :p

Andrea H
February 26th, 2013, 03:06 AM
I like short hair! Sometimes I wish I had the guts/face shape for super short hair. Sadly long face + super short hair=not a good combo. Though I will be the first to admit that shorter(as in shoulder length/a little above) looks best on me I like having the longer hair on myself. :P

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm just fascinated by hair in general! I love playing with it, and that definitely includes cutting it--I really enjoy cutting my friends' hair, usually in short, really creative styles. I'm not much of a fan of symmetrical, all-one-length bobs... I think they're boring. Also very few women can pull off a really short pixie (unless they're specifically going for the butch-****-who-puts-zero effort-into-hair-or-appearance look, which works). But I love creating fun, unique short styles, and I love just seeing them too!

Last night I got the opportunity to collaborate with 2 other friends on a 3rd friend's new haircut. She has beautiful, soft, dirty blond 2a-ish-with-big-wurls hair that was a little longer than APL. Now the back is above her shoulders and layered. The left side is really choppy and short (3-4" at the shortest, angling down to the back), and shaved right above and behind her ear, but with a long piece down to just below her shoulders left just in front of her ear. The right side has another long piece in front coming from above her face, then it jumps up to chin level before angling down to the back. It looks really good and it is so fun!!

This passion started on my own hair, of course. I had a lot of fun cutting my own hair from mid-back to shoulder, and then gradually up to earlobe with a bunch of fun stages in between, 7 years ago when I was a senior in high school. It always had choppy layers in it at these lengths. It was fun for a while, but then I just started feeling not so much like myself.

I think on myself, my passion for hair means I want a lot of it: I want it LONGER and THICKER! But I still really enjoy seeing and creating really unique, short hairstyles on others.

ETA: after Friend 3's cut was done, Friend 1 said to Friend 2: "is it your turn now?" Friend 2 was like, "no no no!!! I'm trying to grow my hair longer!" So I invited her to join LHC. She said maybe--she might be more likely to lurk. But hopefully I'm bringing another one over to The Long Side... :demon:

Bagginslover
February 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM

This^ It looks awful on me, but some of my friends suit short styles much better than longer ones. Then there are the frends that look good with any style..... :p

Naiadryade
February 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/photos/img/photos/private/AIbEiAIAAABDCLTG6tqW6daXeSILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDNlNW E3NWNlZWM2NjZkYjI2NmE4MzZkMjMzMTIxZGRlYmRlYjQwODgw Aa_J4H6-MZxjpiiqAqE2IVkqXgJu

This was me with short hair--probably about 6 months after I cut to Earlobe, in 2006. I thought it was a lot of fun at this length. It went well with that hat. You can see how choppy it was. Please ignore the huge bags under my eyes... my insomnia was lot worse then! And sorry it's so tiny and you can't really see much of my hair, but it's what I have.

turtlelover
February 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I'm not a fan of pixie length hair at all, but I adore a chin length bob on the right person w/ the right hair type. I miss my angled bob on occasion.

jojo
February 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I love short hair on the right people, its no secret though. Just because i prefer long hair on me doesn't make me biased. The same as id hate somebody to judge me for my choices, i dont judge others....live and let live!

Aeris
February 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I am not a fan of pixies or bobs at all, but I think shoulder-skimming hair can be very cute when the hair is wavy or curly. I do think some women look good bald though, and on those women, I definitely think bald looks better than a pixie.

PixxieStix
February 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM
It's no secret that I LOVED having a shaved head, and so refreshing. Nicks on my scalp were a pain to deal with, but I loved being bald. My hubby however prefers me with hair, and I do miss my long hair something fierce, but do occasionally wish for a simpler routine now and then. :) (Then I remember shaving my head was a royal PITA and washing it is much easier!)

naturally yours
February 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I love short hair, but I love love long hair. I used to wear my hair in short chic hairstyles and always got compliments from other on how much they love my hair, but my heart and preference lies with long hair. I prefer bun/updos. I get bored quick with short hair, I like to change styles frequently. Long hair is more versatile imho.

Thinthondiel
February 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I love short hair, and I sometimes miss having a pixie cut, but what I don't miss is having to go to the salon to trim it all the time (which is very expensive here) and growing it out when I'm tired of it (my hair looks awful between pixie and shoulder length).

Angelica
February 26th, 2013, 11:09 AM
No I don't like short hair styles. I can't stand bobs, I don't see what the hype about those are. From what I have seen, and I mean where I live now and work, short hair looks so samey and is often dry as a bone from over styling and bleaching. So when I see someone with long hair, it looks so very different and in fairness usually in very good condition.

Fufu
February 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I love short hair and I always admire ladies who can sport short hair and look gorgeous :)

imaroo
February 28th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Oh, I love pixie cuts. There's something very feminine and almost dainty about a pretty pixie cut on a pretty girl. I've had them several times myself and always loved them, but I've always thought they look best on me when I'm very thin thin, or I risk my head looking too tiny and unbalanced. I made the mistake of getting a pixie cut the day before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter! :doh:

Naiadryade
February 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I made the mistake of getting a pixie cut the day before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter! :doh:

I have a friend who shaved her head when she got pregnant and let it grow from there. She's still growing it... Her daughter is I think 20 months old now, and they both have almost-shoulder-length hair. I think this is really cool!

Sharysa
February 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I had a really nice bob a few years ago. It looked great and I liked it as well. The only real problem is that styling with hair that short is hard, and it got greasy really fast.

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I don't like what I consider to be short hair on ME (though I've seen other women look very nice with it). My mother, like a lot of black women, has a little head and a very long graceful neck and looks great with shorter-than-a-pixie. However, I cut my hair this short once and found out I have a basketball head and a short neck, not good.
In general, I think women look better with long hair. Long hair is attractive in and of itself, if it is natural, clean and healthy. You don't have to be a great beauty to look very attractive with long hair, in my opinion. But you not only have to be very beautiful to look good in short hair, especially extremely short hair, but you have to have the right face shape and body shape and a LOT of confidence. And its not very 'girly'. I've always been a girly girl and prefer to look very stereotypically feminine,never wanted to do the Mia Farrow/Twiggy thing.

MaryO
March 1st, 2013, 01:22 AM
Short hair is very pretty and I do wish that I could get away with it but every single time I have EVER had short hair I feel sort of not good enough. Like people who have long hair are just better than me in general!? Weird that- I really only realised it at this moment. Although my hair is quite short in LHC standards I'm starting to feel better! :-))

sakuraemily
March 1st, 2013, 05:05 AM
I love short hair. I had one for most my life and it suits me.
But its a misconception that its easy to maintain. I'd often wake up looking like I'd been jolted.

imaroo
March 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM
But its a misconception that its easy to maintain. I'd often wake up looking like I'd been jolted.

:lol: exactly! And you can't just throw it up in a ponytail when you're having a bad hair day.

gillybeanxo3921
March 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM

I agree. My hair is actually easier to handle when it's long, because once I take it out of a braid or bun it's less frizzy and has a smoother texture. My natural bed-head texture is a disaster! The length weighs down my hair and makes it less curly, which I like :)

Someday I might go back to short hair, maybe cut it all the way up to my shoulders!

ladyfey
March 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Not secretly! I love a bob, and love my hair bobbed. I imagine that I will wear it like that again one day. It really was easier for me, no need for conditioner (so it would dry really fast) and no tangles!

see_turtle
March 1st, 2013, 06:08 PM
I like the idea of a bob but not the bob itself....I love it on other people! One of my co-workers has a pixie and it looks great! She pulls it off, it depends on the person fore me with a pixie though. I personally will NEVER cut my hair above bra strap again. I've learned my lesson (from my chop in October) that for me my hair gets easier the longer it is.

AspenSong
March 1st, 2013, 10:36 PM
While I really do think long hair usually looks best and I prefer it. I do see a lot of short cuts that I love - at least on the people they're on! There are certain short cuts I see and for a split second think...oooh, I want that! Like actress Allison Scagliotti's short cut. I loved it...the color, the cut...everything! But, I've had my hair that short before and while I liked certain aspects, I prefer it long, even if it doesn't look all that super. The one thing that always draws me to bobs and shorter cuts, is the easier ability to do victory rolls and cute 20's-50's styles.

mrs_coffee
March 2nd, 2013, 05:12 AM
I love short hair, but it's no secret. I had a pixie cut for years and sometimes I miss it. I'm totally in love with Miley Cyrus's new do. Maintenance took no time at all. Wake up, shower, towel dry, mess it up a little with some product, and go. I spend way more time and $$$ on my hair now.

herdaughter77
March 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
I like bobs on other people like so: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuryjWXxAulothKG8O008B1WexkMZrx prWxD_kI0ESc-rzDFWj_A
I think it looks so adorable and fun.
But I honestly believe it would be disastrous with my hair and face type. Especially since I don't like using heat and products on my hair.
I do dream of cutting my hair off to APL or shorter, but it would take so much for me to actually do it for real. I don't think it's gonna happen any time soon.

lilliemer
March 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM

I DO love bobs on other people, though. I think they are cute, though they wouldn't work on me. My hair doesn't lie properly for a bob, which I learned when I was 8 and tried to get a shoulder length bob (first big chop of my life). My hair is also too thick to effectively wear braids or really any style other than a pony tail at any length shorter than BSL-waist. So I admire bobs when I see them on others, and there are some other shorter hairstyles that I thought suited other people well.

I mean, really my biggest beef with the super short hairstyles (super short meaning anything shorter than shoulder length for most people) is that you get locked into having to wear your hair the same way every day because you just can't DO anything with it. So it may be cute, and it may suit someone quite well... but it also means no variety.
Totally agree. Don't like it on me, don't like it on others.* So many people get stuck on the 'mommy hair' weird layered/feathered pixie bandwagon. Also hate the 'Hollywood pixie' (Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams et al.) because to me it looks soooooo ridiculously affected and pretentious. Like, "Look at me! Look at my face! My face! It's so beautiful! Soooo tremendously beautiful I don't NEED hair! HaHA!" And the pixie is not versatile...no matter how much the hair mags try to tell you that you can style a pixie all these different ways. You can't. It always looks the same, whether it's parted on the left, parted on the right, or combed flat down over your forehead like Jim Carrey's in Dumb and Dumber. Gah. /rant

*One exception: short afro's look awesome, as does the afro in all its forms, short and long. i'm not sure if the mini-fro is properly classified in the pixie department or not.

sneakybea
March 2nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
The short hairstyles I admire tend to be ones I don't think would work with my hair type, such as sharp, edgy-looking geometrical bobs. I think those work best with straight hair, and mine isn't, and would probably be curlier if it were that short. I'm just too lazy to fight against my hair's nature that way, plus I think long hair suits my personality better (which actually matters more to me than how it looks, strange as that may sound). But there are people short styles suit, and I can appreciate the styles on them.

Mesmerise
March 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Totally agree. Don't like it on me, don't like it on others.* So many people get stuck on the 'mommy hair' weird layered/feathered pixie bandwagon. Also hate the 'Hollywood pixie' (Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams et al.) because to me it looks soooooo ridiculously affected and pretentious. Like, "Look at me! Look at my face! My face! It's so beautiful! Soooo tremendously beautiful I don't NEED hair! HaHA!" And the pixie is not versatile...no matter how much the hair mags try to tell you that you can style a pixie all these different ways. You can't. It always looks the same, whether it's parted on the left, parted on the right, or combed flat down over your forehead like Jim Carrey's in Dumb and Dumber. Gah. /rant

*One exception: short afro's look awesome, as does the afro in all its forms, short and long. i'm not sure if the mini-fro is properly classified in the pixie department or not.

Hmm really?? I get you don't like short hair, but do you really think their motivation is all about how pretty they are so they don't need long hair?! It's fine to not like a particular look, but it's not fine to interpret someone else's reason for having it! Maybe they just like short hair??

Kaelee
March 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
I love short hair- but whenever I cut my hair short, I wind up regretting it. Plus, DF LOVES my hair and would be sad if I cut it. :)

Maybe when I'm old I won't buck the trend and will instead enjoy carefree 'granny hair'.

Nedertane
March 2nd, 2013, 09:25 PM

Yep, and it had nothing to do with career decisions, like having to get their hair cut for films, or anything. Sheesh. Sorry, but that was kind of a mean and presumptuous statement. Fine if you don't like their hairstyles, but let's treat them like human beings, shall we?

EtherealDoll
March 3rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
I generally like bobs on others, they can often look cute. Pixie cuts look terrible IMO, I've never seen anybody look better after getting a pixie, even if they don't look awful, they still look bad.

Auksaplauke
March 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM
I do not like short hair.short hair is not suitable to my face.when I had short hair I wore hair extension.

Eireann
March 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm 5 months into a two-week wait. At Halloween, I wore a short bob wig, and got so many compliments it really got me thinking. I resisted then by coming back to LHC and experimenting with natural hair care (which I love by the way). I was doing just fine, even loving my long hair again, and then I went to a party last night where just about EVERY female there had a cute a-line bob just above the shoulders. One woman in particular looked like she had just my hair type. I couldn't take my eyes off her! She probably thought I was going to ask her out or something. At this point, the only things holding me back are (1) my DH LOOOOOVES my long hair, and (2) it has taken me so long to grow it this long, what if I change my mind? DH says I can do whatever I want with my own hair (which, of course, happens to be true), but he is the only person in the universe that I actually care whether he thinks I'm sexy or not (that's kind of the whole point, right?) Anyway, just ranting. Thanks for listening!

Sagi1982
March 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Yes, and I had a colorful pixie for years! :p
But I also like long, especially very (!) long hair.
So I had/have both, and like both.

But I think, bob cuts are made for just a handful of people - most people don't rock a bob cut.

imaroo
March 4th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Yep, and it had nothing to do with career decisions, like having to get their hair cut for films, or anything. Sheesh. Sorry, but that was kind of a mean and presumptuous statement. Fine if you don't like their hairstyles, but let's treat them like human beings, shall we?

I agree. This is something I've seen periodically in perusing this board. There was a thread recently that was from the other point of view. It was regarding mean comments about long hair, and the common theme from many of the posters was that sometimes people are rude and judgmental about long hair. I agree. I'm not sure why anyone feels that way about either choice (because I truly love both long and short hair), but everyone is welcome to their own opinions. They have every right to express opinions about whether they like short or long hair. What I don't understand is the need to express those opinions in a hurtful manner, particularly when several people have stated that they have had or currently have short hair cuts.

neko_kawaii
March 4th, 2013, 09:01 AM

I had no idea I had a pretty face. OMG! Thank you so much!

Nedertane
March 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Me personally, it really varies if I like short hair or not. From a purely visual perspective, I tend to like it when it looks "maintained"; it can be a slick-back look, a rainbow mohawk or a Great Gatsby bob. Whatever it is, it's just gotta look purposeful (I can't help it, I'm a visual person, I need to be entertained lol :p). And that goes for any gender. When it looks like "It's short, it'll do" then I feel like it's kinda disappointing, to be frank.

Ironically though, I like when long hair looks less maintained, and more carefree, though not to the point of disrepair. I don't really care for Hollywood long styles because they're often super-styled and very processed. It's not a bad look at all, and I know it takes time and effort, I just don't care for it when it comes to long hair.

On the flipside though, some lengths and styles seem to suit people's personalities more than others, regardless of their face/looks. One of my professors, for example, has a pixie and I could not imagine her any other way. Just the way she carries herself and talks to us in class - very relaxed and empathetic, but with a quirky and awesome sense of humor - just GOES with her hair. It sounds strange, I'm sure, but like I said, I just feel like that is what suits her as a person.

Vrindi
March 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I love short hairstyles— on other people. I think some people pull it off beautifully. I hate short hair on myself. Not so much the appearance, but it does not fit my personality. at. all. I was given a bob haircut when I was 9 and cried for weeks. That's the shortest it's ever been. Thankfully, it grew out quickly.

MissFrenchTwist
March 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
No... Not even a little bit.

I see this trend in Hollywood with everybody suddenly getting their heads shaved, (Charlize Theron, etc.) and the article usually says something like "____ Rocks it!"... I guess one person's "rocks it" is another person's "What the he11 were you thinking?"

Tristania
March 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I think short hair tends to look more polished than long hair - think Victoria Beckham. Then again, I could never have short hair as most short styles requires a LOT of maintenance.

utdesertrunner
March 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I just spent the last month obsessing over cutting mine in a pixie. I think it would be so different, cute and light. I am glad I waited though, because all of a sudden today, I was "over it" and happy to have long hair still. I know I would have missed it. However, I think short hair can be very flattering and stylish.

mrs_coffee
March 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Also hate the 'Hollywood pixie' (Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams et al.) because to me it looks soooooo ridiculously affected and pretentious. Like, "Look at me! Look at my face! My face! It's so beautiful! Soooo tremendously beautiful I don't NEED hair! HaHA!"

I do have a beautiful face and it doesn't need hair. :)

Suze2012
March 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm...nope....can't say I do secretly like it.

I remember when mine was short and how much it took to style it when I had no choice but to have it short.

There's someone I know who had gorgeous hair, a slight wave to it and around BSL.

She has had it cut into a bob which shows the back of her nape at the shortest point.
It looked pretty good the day after she had it done, very smooth and sleek.

She now kinda has puppy ears and it's fluffly looking and no longer shines but I can't figure out why the shine has gone.

This all sounds mean..I know that..but..nope, I don't love her hair like I used to.

Hiriel
March 10th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I do like short hair on others. On myself, I can't really say that I know, because my hair has never been short. But I can't really imagine myself with short hair at all. It's just not me.

PriscillaCherel
March 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM
No I don't like short hair, only on a few people, I like the longer ones more!

cwarren
March 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Not really. But if I did have a different hair type (I have 4a hair) I would be more flexible with cutting and trying shorter styles. But, for me, 4a hair is too difficult to style with short hair.