PDA

View Full Version : Deep treatments

starlamelissa
February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Do you do 'em? I have to admit I rarely, if ever, do. Some of the treatments i have seen seem a lot like plain conditioner, the v05 hot oil tubes don't do much for me. I liked queen Helene's jojoba oil treatment, but who wants to trek all the way to a Sally's?

Anyways I was reading a hair blog that had a scientist who was explaining deep treatments. The deal was, she recommended washing hair in the shower, lightly squeezing out water, and applying coconut or olive oil. Wait a few minutes and condition and rinse as normal. This is supposed to be an effective deep treatment.

So I tried it! I used olive oil in the shower in between shampoo and conditioner. My hair is as smooth as glass right now. I only used a pea sized amount of leave in conditioner post shower which is really minimal for me.

I think i will just leave the bottle of olive oil in my shower to remind myself to try it with my next wash.

Natalia
February 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Im a wo benign neglecter so i dont get around to them very often but when i do i pretty much stick to smt's since they ar the least amount of work. Im a blonde so i dont even have to microave the honey :p. I do a deep oiling now and then. glad you had such good results with your experiment.

88bernice
February 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
I try to do deep treatments every week. Half of my hair is damaged (dry but with few split ends) and it is weird to touch my hair and feel it very soft from the begining and then rough. I don't want to cut 7 inches of brittle hair so instead I am trying anything is to keep it as healthy as posible. Putting some oil between shampooing and conditionig sounds practical and easy to do so I wil be trying it next time I wash my hair :)

winship2
February 23rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Interesting! I'll try it tomorrow. I accidentally bought and used a protein-rich conditioner the other day that made my hair horribly dry and rough. Maybe the oil treatment will smooth it back out? Your hair looks 1b or 1c from your photo, yes?

ghost
February 23rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
I've never tried using oil in between shampoo and conditioner, but it couldn't hurt to try at least once. Usually I do a deep oiling on my hair before I shower, shampoo and condition, and then rub a tiny bit of oil in the length of my hair to seal in the conditioner. Did the blog say why shampooing, oiling, then conditioning is supposed to be effective?

irisheyes
February 23rd, 2013, 09:04 PM
This sounds like a good idea. But doesn't the bathtub get slippery from the oil?

Buddaphlyy
February 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
I'm on another forum and a few of the ladies do something called oil rinsing, which is what this sounds like. Never tried it and probably never will as I'm trying to cut down on my wash time, not extend it.

I do a regular deep treatment once of twice a week. I shampoo or co wash, apply my treatment, put on a cap and mouse around for an hour or so and then rinse.

akilina
February 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
I am going against the hair dresser expectation and saying that I feel the same about "deep treatment" kinds of products. Sure, they make your hair feel great, but my LHC half wants REAL nutrition for my hair. Not something synthetic that sort of gives the appearance of health. I know that more and more lately, there are more nutritious ingredients in many products but I often wonder...how much content is in these products that really helps give real health for your hair?

I will definitely try this oil deep treatment method. Maybe even tomorrow :o

I used to be good about doing DT's but haven't been lately. I would mix a good conditioner I liked with seemingly decent ingredients, but always add in some oil, and aloe gel. Usually real aloe from a plant.
While Im on this question of if products really help towards hair health..I do love Shea Moisture. I like using the moisture retention deep treatment in the tub, mixed with the aloe and oil. I like all of the ingredients in these products because I can pronounce all of them, and there is not one ingredient that sounds fake or synthetic in any way (last time I checked).

TheHowlingWolf
February 23rd, 2013, 10:10 PM
I've been trying to find a good deep conditioner (to use as a regular conditioner because my hair has been getting more dry with the winter weather), so what are your favorites? I've tried the oil rinsing with olive oil and avocado oil but it didn't work out for me. I might try coconut oil but I put coconut oil in my hair before every wash (I use it to finger detangle). I was thinking about getting the MoroccanOil intense hydration masque (I think it's called?). Idk though but I've heard lots of good reviews on it. I do do some DIY ones but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that so I would prefer one already made for me lol.

~honeyflower~
February 23rd, 2013, 11:36 PM
I've tried the shampoo-oil-conditioner method, works pretty good!

Thanks!

bradlea
February 23rd, 2013, 11:41 PM
While Im on this question of if products really help towards hair health..I do love Shea Moisture. I like using the moisture retention deep treatment in the tub, mixed with the aloe and oil. I like all of the ingredients in these products because I can pronounce all of them, and there is not one ingredient that sounds fake or synthetic in any way (last time I checked).

yes yes yes Shea Moisture. I love their thickening line, it seems to actually make a difference and their ingredient list doesn't make me feel dirty, haha. The deep treatment masque is also boss.

Thanks for the idea, starlamelissa! Also, has anyone here tried the Giovanni Nutrafix masque? Back when my hair was heavily chemically processed it made it feel delightfully soft and healthy. I haven't tried it since then, but I haven't really done any deep treatments in a long time, partly because my hair is so much healthier and partly because I'm lazy.

kidari
February 23rd, 2013, 11:50 PM
My ends get really dry and regular deep treatments really help my hair. I do them at least once a week, sometimes even twice a week. Sometimes I oil heavily before washing, other times I'll do a coconut milk soak, or I will shampoo and then do an SMT. Lately I like to just use a regular shampoo and then a deep commercial deep treatment mask and leave it in a plastic cap and turbie towel for an hour before rinsing (I wash my hair separately when I do this). When I'm really lazy or short on time I just use the deep treatment mask in the shower and put a cap on while I wash my body and do other things. I've noticed that using a deep conditioner in place of my regular conditioner makes my hair really happy lately. I might switch to doing this and use up my regular conditioners by doing SMTs with them.

Natalia
February 24th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I've been trying to find a good deep conditioner (to use as a regular conditioner because my hair has been getting more dry with the winter weather), so what are your favorites? I've tried the oil rinsing with olive oil and avocado oil but it didn't work out for me. I might try coconut oil but I put coconut oil in my hair before every wash (I use it to finger detangle). I was thinking about getting the MoroccanOil intense hydration masque (I think it's called?). Idk though but I've heard lots of good reviews on it. I do do some DIY ones but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that so I would prefer one already made for me lol.

I havent tried it myself but i hear sally beauty gvp (the knockoff of biologe) is a great dt condish

akilina
February 24th, 2013, 12:19 AM
yes yes yes Shea Moisture. I love their thickening line, it seems to actually make a difference and their ingredient list doesn't make me feel dirty, haha. The deep treatment masque is also boss.

Thanks for the idea, starlamelissa! Also, has anyone here tried the Giovanni Nutrafix masque? Back when my hair was heavily chemically processed it made it feel delightfully soft and healthy. I haven't tried it since then, but I haven't really done any deep treatments in a long time, partly because my hair is so much healthier and partly because I'm lazy.

I do hate that the DT masque alone leaves my hair feeling dry and not slick. But paired with the aloe gel and a few drops of oil..it does wonders! I totally know what you mean about the ingredients list making you not feel weird or dirty. Thats the best way to describe the product. Im 100% happy with the shampoo. Since using it for the last 2 months I can tell a big difference, even though my hair was already healthy to start. The smell is divine too. I have only used the moisture retention line though. I used the coconut and hibiscus spray and it was just...gross...Not what I had expected.

Siiri
February 24th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I haven't been doing any deep treatments for a long time and am wondering whether I should start doing them again. It's just that to me they seem to work the same as a regular conditioner...Does it actually benefit your hair somehow to keep a conditioner (or the deep treatment) on your hair for longer, I mean do you get more of the ingredients building up on your hair the longer you let it sit and how would that be beneficial compared with a thinner layer of build up from a regular conditioner? I can see the point if your hair is damaged, but what about non-damaged hair?

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I do mine once a month and I know I should do it more. I really want to and find the ultimate hair regimen for my hair.

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I do hate that the DT masque alone leaves my hair feeling dry and not slick. But paired with the aloe gel and a few drops of oil..it does wonders! I totally know what you mean about the ingredients list making you not feel weird or dirty. Thats the best way to describe the product. Im 100% happy with the shampoo. Since using it for the last 2 months I can tell a big difference, even though my hair was already healthy to start. The smell is divine too. I have only used the moisture retention line though. I used the coconut and hibiscus spray and it was just...gross...Not what I had expected.

I know, every one of their products I've smelled is delightful. And that's weird! What is the spray for?

akilina
February 24th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I know, every one of their products I've smelled is delightful. And that's weird! What is the spray for?
The spray was the curl and shine milk. I would spray a ton of pumps into my DT's though and be just as happy! When it was almost gone I found thee PERFECT use for it....I was using henna at the time and I would douse my hair in the spray first, then apply henna. If it got dry I would spray more. It helped nearly 100% with all of the hair loss I would have when rinsing the henna.

SnowWhite
February 24th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Nope I don't like deep treatments. Tried a bunch of them. Not my cup of tea. I rather do extra oiling if my hair needs moisture.
I have to say my hair is really healthy, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

starlamelissa
February 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Lol I didn't think I'd get so many responses between last night and now, plz excuse my tardiness to my own thread!

The theory is that damp hair/ especially warm damp hair in a humid shower will allow far more nutritive oil penetrate the strand then post shower or dry oiling.

As for slipperiness, my oil is a mix I bought a while ago for itchy winter scalp. It's a Sally's buy, called Eden body works peppermint teatree hair oil. It's mainly sweet almond and olive oil with a ton of peppermint essential oil in it. Anyway it comes in an aluminum spray bottle. So no oil drips on the floor.

starlamelissa
February 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Ahem, to whoever requested my hair type..... I blow dry. If I don't I'm heavily wavy. Like, my roots are wavy. Bangs too! I blow it out, avoid humidity, and sleep with it bunnned.

dwell_in_safety
February 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I pretty much just stick with deep coconut oilings. :P I'm very lazy with my hair. I've thought about mixing with conditioner before, but I alwaya leave my conditioner on for at least half an hour on dry hair before rinsing it out, anyway, whenever I was my hair (I do a deep oiling before every wash, every ten days). Benign neglect all the way.

joflakes
February 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I try to do them a couple times a month. I use the Fluff-ease from Lush and it is great!

QMacrocarpa
February 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I've done them occasionally in the past, but haven't bothered in a long time. Now I'm too satisfied with my benign neglect routine to mess with what works for me. A little oil on the ends between washings seems to help slow the split-factory. For me, oiling wet hair quickly leads to stringiness, so I wouldn't be likely to try the shower oiling.

Long_hair_bear
February 24th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I use Nightblooming's fairy dust mixed into my condish once a week for deep treatments..... My hair loves it!

Naiadryade
February 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I oil a little more heavily the day before a wash, but I'm not sure if that counts. I did a hot oil treatment recently, and it didn't all wash out. I dunno, I want to like deep treatments (and I do all-natural hair care), but I haven't found the right one yet. Using coconut milk or avocado sounds super luxurious, but also super expensive... I'd rather eat it!

I'm Really Excited to learn about Shea Moisture! I've been waiting to find a good 100% natural conditioner.... I'm kind of sketched out by the ingredient Behentrimonium chloride in the restorative conditioner though. Wikipedia says it's irritating and toxic to aquatic organisms. Anyone know more about this? I have dry hair so this is the one I looked at, but are the other lines really all natural?