PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened with hairmasque

Khristopher
February 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
So the other week I wanted to do a deep treatment. I picked up a light protein hair masque, and dropped a tablespoon of honey and one of EVOO. Mix mix... what?:confused: It turned liquid... with little bubbles, odd I thought. Whatever, I put it on my hair anyway and an hour later my hair felt amazing. I figured I put too much EVOO and just forgot about it.
Now I wanted to do the same but avoiding that liquid stage, so I put 2 tablepoons of the masque, 1 of honey and as soon I mixed it turned liquid again!
I don't know, maybe I need some chemistry clases? Why this keeps happening? Should I use protein and honey one at time?
The mix is on my hair right now, I hope the effects be the same as last week ;)
Oh and tell me of your odd or failed hair experiments! Did something like this happened to you? :p

ghost
February 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Weird that it turned liquid, but if your hair felt amazing afterwards at least it wasn't a failed experiment. Chemistry is not my forte so I won't even try to explain why that mix might have done what it did xD

This isn't exactly an experiment, more of a "desperate times call for desperate measures" kind of thing...but it was a very odd thing to do: Once when I really needed a hot oil treatment and was still living at home, I used my mom's garlic EVOO on my hair because we were completely out of any other kind of oil. No coconut, no almond, no plain olive. Just the garlic olive oil. It worked -my hair felt moisturized- but the garlic smell was really pungent and didn't wash out well. I had to wash my hair loads of times with shampoo, then clarify with baking soda and ACV. I probably negated any benefits I got from the oiling, and should have just waited for someone to go grocery shopping. I was only about 13-14, or I'd have just gone myself and skipped the whole mess :p

trolleypup
February 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
So the other week I wanted to do a deep treatment. I picked up a light protein hair masque, and dropped a tablespoon of honey and one of EVOO. Mix mix... what?:confused: It turned liquid... with little bubbles, odd I thought. Whatever, I put it on my hair anyway and an hour later my hair felt amazing. I figured I put too much EVOO and just forgot about it.
Now I wanted to do the same but avoiding that liquid stage, so I put 2 tablepoons of the masque, 1 of honey and as soon I mixed it turned liquid again!
I don't know, maybe I need some chemistry clases? Why this keeps happening? Should I use protein and honey one at time?
The mix is on my hair right now, I hope the effects be the same as last week ;)
Oh and tell me of your odd or failed hair experiments! Did something like this happened to you? :p
Many manufactured products are treated and/or processed so they have specific properties (think of cream/whipped cream), and adding other things can cause the properties to change or revert to their original state (warming whipped cream, for example).

Between the surfactants in the honey and the oil, I'm not surprised that the processed masque reverted to liquid...other than the consistency, I doubt that anything else changed in terms of who the stuff works...and...so long as it works, who cares what it looks like?

Khristopher
February 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Ghost yes, it worked wonderful but was a little difficult to get in my hair. Mmhh garlic smelling hair, delicious! :bounce: things like that happened to me all the time when I was a little girl, just for not readding the tags :P
Trolleypup I didn't know that! Thank you for explaining it :)
I just rinsed and it feels soooo good :D soft hair, ends tammed, Khristoph is happy :o
I want to listen to more stories though!

jacqueline101
February 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
I second Trollypup it went to its natural state.