PDA

View Full Version : TRIM OR NOT TO TRIM? HELP! family hairdresser coming on sunday

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
hey, the family hairdresser is coming on sunday and i have not had my haircut in a bout a year so far, it is relatively healthy because i never dye/straighten/blow dry/or do much damaging. i use a satin pillow case and is tied back most of the time. the only annoying thing is last time my hairdresser tried blending my hair layers in because i wanted one length hair but didnt want to lose the length i had. the layers have not really blended in, i asked for it wispy on the sides and blunter at the back last time for some reason, so now my hair has layers (unfortunately) and it is wispy at the sides and the top layers, however blunter towards the bottom of the back part of my hair, it drives me mad. it also curves inwards (only at the back). the new hair growth above my hair looks great and looks like my hair is straight. the layers at the bottom give my hair a strong wave. i really want ankle length wispy hair, one length. now when i move my head only my sides and top layers wisp around, my bottom back part of my hair seems to just lay flat on my back, perhaps it is was cut too thickly? do you guys recomend me geting a trim and asking for only the ends to be made 'wispy'?
or perhaps to trim further up to get rid of all layered hair (starting fresh, which would leave me up to about just below chin level) or just leave my hair and hope that my hair layers will all blend in and become wispy with time?? my hair is currently about bra strap level. i am very attached to it but i really want it to be light and wispy along with the length. my aim is for it to end up alot like victoria watson's off american idol auditions which you can see her hair on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxJPX_gQ6o . unfortunately i cant find a pic of her hair that i could print off and show my hairdresser either. i have a pic of what my hair looks like now in my profile i think, if i managed to upload it corectly. hope i figure out what to do before hairdresor comes with you guy's help! cheers

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
It sounds like for your hair wispy and layers are going to go together, at least for now.

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM
just wanted to add, by wispy i mean fairytale ends- i want my hair to become fairytale ends all over, not just at the sides but also at the back, would i need to get it cut in a certain way? looking at my hair now it seems that it would never become wispy and fairytale end-like even if i continue growing without cutting? my hair does not have many split ends because i recently did a long Search and destroy split ends my self.

burns_erin
August 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
just wanted to add, by wispy i mean fairytale ends- i want my hair to become fairytale ends all over, not just at the sides but also at the back, would i need to get it cut in a certain way? looking at my hair now it seems that it would never become wispy and fairytale end-like even if i continue growing without cutting? my hair does not have many split ends because i recently did a long Search and destroy split ends my self.

Hair does not all grow the same rate so if you are overall happy with where it is at you may want to just let it grow for a while and see what your natural pattern is before doing anything drastic.

spidermom
August 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM
To get fairy tale ends, let it grow. Don't trim it. Cutting away splits and other damage one hair at a time is all right.

It takes time to get that wispy quality; be patient.

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
To get fairy tale ends, let it grow. Don't trim it. Cutting away splits and other damage one hair at a time is all right.

It takes time to get that wispy quality; be patient.

thanks for all the replies, just curious...even if my hair is blunt-will it still develop fairytale ends and wispy with time? despite how blunt it looks right now?
best wishes

spidermom
August 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
thanks for all the replies, just curious...even if my hair is blunt-will it still develop fairytale ends and wispy with time? despite how blunt it looks right now?
best wishes

Well, everybody is different. Some people have hair that grows very evenly, so they can grow it for a long time without trims, and it will still look blunt if it started out blunt. My hair grows so unevenly that by the time I have a trim (every 3 months; I like thick, even ends), I've got little racer hairs around the bottom that are as much as 2 inches longer than other hairs.

I do believe that most people who do not trim will eventually have hair that wisps away to fairy tale ends.

Cinnamon Hair
August 26th, 2008, 09:34 PM
If you want whispy ends -now- the best thing to do is ask the hairdresser to thin out the ends of your longest layer. Otherwise it could take awhile to achieve the fairytale look naturally.
Personally, I'm trying to achieve blunt thick ends, but I'm giving advice based on the look you're going for.

Darkhorse1
August 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Wow--that girl has long hair! Gorgeous--and so does her mom.
I always do a slight trim to keep the ends healthy, which helps more growth. But, it's your decision. Good luck!

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I hope I am able to grow fairytale ends, judging from my current photos on photobuck what do you guys suggest? Do I trim or keep it going? My aim is ankle length wispy.
http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/pdy2kn6/hair/
guest password : private
many thanks

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'll give the IMG thingy a try to see if I can post my pictures on here:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/pdy2kn6/hair/august14th005.jpg

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM
wow it worked! Sorry it has came out so big. Does anyone know how to make it smaller in future posts? lol
thanks everyone

spidermom
August 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I have a photo workshop on my computer where I resize my pictures in the edit function before I post them to photobucket. I think you've got fairy tale ends beginning already and should let your hair grow without trimming as long as the ends don't get trashed. Sometimes trimming is a must-do, but if you're really careful with your hair, you might be able to grow without it.

Arctic
August 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
You have a nice hair!

Photobucket has some great and easy photoediting tools, including image resizing. So you don't need any photoediting program on your computer.

HTH!