PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Getting Bangs

AlabasterAlice
February 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
I have always enjoyed the look of soft, face-framing bangs. I think they can look very cute, especially with up-dos. So I've been thinking about maybe going to a salon and getting bangs cut. I'd like them to look something like this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/dztf7p.jpg

My hair is hip length (http://i46.tinypic.com/t0loah.jpg) now, with somewhat ratty ends (which is another topic all together...sigh). So I was thinking of going and getting them trimmed about an inch, anyways. While I don't mind trimming the length myself, I would certainly go to a salon for the bangs. I am nervous though, because if I hate it, it is very hard to go back.

I have a thinner hairline around my face that tends to get oilier faster than the rest of my hair does. I was wondering if that would make having bangs problematic or not. I tend to only wash my hair 2-3 times a week, and I'm not sure if bangs will require styling or not.

I'm also not sure if bangs would actually look good on me. So here is a picture of me, to get some of your opinions.
http://i49.tinypic.com/125gh8k.jpg

spirals
February 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
I don't know why, but I can't see the pictures. :(

longNred
February 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
I've been having this same issue lately. and I will likely try and get clip in bangs. LOL... I want bangs, but only sometimes. I definitely do NOT want the upkeep. they need to be washed more, styled, and then grown out if I don't like them! gah! never again. at least with a clip in I can have them for times I really want them, and if not, take out and done.

as for YOU - I think you look perfectly adorable without, but think you'd also look perfectly adorable WITH. i know, i'm of NO help.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
I think you would look okay with bangs like the one in the first one.

ArienEllariel
February 22nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
You'd look really cute with bangs but they are a pain to style. I have trouble because my hairline gets oilier faster than the rest of my hair. I had to wash and style my bangs every day or clip them back when I had them. Ended up growing them out as I didn't like all the extra work they took.

Miss Maisie
February 22nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
I think they'd look adorable on you!

For what it's worth, I have long, blunt bangs. I wear them down the day I wash them, and then I pin them back every day after that until I wash again. I'm sure it will suck if/when I decide to grow them out, but I don't know if I'll ever do that. I enjoy my bangs.

Nebulae
February 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
I think you would look good in those bangs, but I also think you look good without them. :) (And wow, you look awesome in purple!)

Bangs like that usually requires some styling unless you have very cooperative hair. Also bangs tend to look greasy faster than the rest of your hair, so if that is already the case with the hair around your face, be prepared that you might need to wash your bangs more often than your hair. They could also be pinned back on a greasy looking day if you don't want to wash that often.
I had bangs like that but they have grown out too much to be styled right now (I will cut them back though, maybe tonight) and I had to wash them every morning, or it just didn't look good.. I wash the rest of my hair every 2-3 days.

I'd say think about it for a while, since it will take a long time growing them back if it turned out you didn't really want bangs!

minxe
February 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I think they'd be very cute! Go for it!

You might have to invest in a good dry shampoo to keep the oiliness in check, and haircutting shears. It's not very hard at all to trim them yourself. I had bangs for a few years, and had no problem maintaining them myself.

You might have to blowdry them into place after washes, on cool or warm of course, to keep them in check. Sometimes bangs can dry a bit unruly.

leslissocool
February 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
You are so gorgeous! Yes they are a pain to style. The issue is, if you don't like them they will take a wile to grow out. How do you feel about that? If you don't really care I say just go for it. I think they would look great and I LOVE updo's with bangs they are just so pretty.

AndreaPetrea
February 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
You're gorgeous, and I think bangs would look very good on you.

I was growing out my bangs to gain thickness but decided to have them cut again some months ago, and yes, they can be a pain sometimes, but I wash mine every day (doesn't take much time) and have found that if I let them air dry in the opposite direction of how I wear them they usually look good. I don't know how that would work with wavy hair, though.

Eireann
February 22nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
I think you would look great with bangs! I have wavy hair, and I do blow dry my bangs whenever my hair gets wet or they don't lay right, but it takes literally 30 seconds. The rest of my hair is air dried. I love bangs because they give me a bit of style even when my hair is pulled back, and they cover my forehead wrinkles. :eyebrows:

I say go for it. It's a way to have some fun and a little variety while keeping your hair long!

Fairlight63
February 22nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
I also can't see any pictures. I wonder why?

UltraBella
February 24th, 2013, 02:03 AM
I think you would look AMAZING with bangs !!

I recently had bangs cut and I really love them. I have this little round styling tool, it's like a blow dryer brush and I just barely mist my bangs and then brush them to the side with it - it takes under a minute for me to have perfect bangs.

ETA : because I lightly mist my bangs each morning, they don't get greasy. I have some dry shampoo but I haven't had to use it.

joflakes
February 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Definitely go for the bangs!

sisi33
February 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I am firmly in the "Go and get them!" camp. I think that they would look fantastic on you!

LadyLongLocks
February 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I voted NO. I think you look good without them. Plus they get caught in glasses. I know, I had bangs for years. I just am thinking long hair with no bangs.And they take a while to grow out if you change your mind which=lots of awkward stages. It's up to you of course and you should do what makes you happy.

LadyLongLocks
February 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Hey, I just had an idea. You could get the clip in ones before you decide and cut your hair.

Kome
February 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I think it would look really good. Honestly, I cut my bangs myself, but I've been cutting my own hair for a long time, even layers and whanot. I'd say go for it. I think your hair looks great. I have to add bangs into my hairstyle or I just look boring. Lol. I think it spices things up, but they can also be annoying when they blow in your face and whanot. :D

Fufu
February 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I think you will look great with side swept soft fringe, and not those full bangs. Give it a try to see if you like it :)

Sisko
February 24th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Absolutely not! You have a beautiful, well-proportioned face; why would you want to cover it up? I think the bangs will look less elegant.

ETA: Good idea by LadyLongLocks. :)

spidermom
February 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Funny; the picture you posted for bangs has pretty much the same face shape as you, so yes - they'll look good on you.

I don't find bangs to be a hassle at all. It's easy to wash only my bangs (covering the rest with the shower cap). They do take some styling some days, and it's very quick and easy. I have a small flat iron for that.

Right now I'm letting them grow out so that I can braid them completely away from my face for my trip to Cancun in May, and it's easy to secure them back with clips, braiding, or a hair-band already. (they are about bottom eyeball length when dry)

didrash
February 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Alice is very, VERY pretty! She will be gorgeous with or without bangs :). Personally I would vote against as they are hard to grow out...

Alexblue
February 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM
You have the type of face-shape that would equally look great with or without bangs. I agree with Sisko, no need to cover your face; though I'm guessing you probably want a change more than anything else. I'm constantly agonising over bangs. I'm voting 'no' only because you look so pretty without :-)

I've had most types from long to my eyebrows to pixie short. Blunt and side-swept. The style you've picked will grow out easily if you change your mind again. However, they can be irritating with glasses. Perhaps try clip-ins for a few days and see if you like.

Mya
February 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Absolutely not! [...] You have a beautiful, well-proportioned face; why would you want to cover it up? I think the bangs will look less elegant.

Exactly my thoughts! :)

Also I think it's a good idea to go with the clip in bangs. Maybe you could just use them instead of getting bangs cut in your hair?

battles
February 24th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I do think they would look lovely on you, but with an oily face I don't think they're worth the trouble. I have bangs and an oily face and I can only wear them down on wash day.

AlabasterAlice
February 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Sorry the pictures don't always show up :( I use TinyPic, so I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thank you all so much for all of the compliments and comments! I'm going to wait until mid March to get them done, just to make sure I'm positive I want them. So far I am really leaning towards getting them though. I like the idea of misting them every morning (Thanks UltraBella!) that should keep them looking nice and clean. I am a bit concerned about having them caught in glasses, but the glasses I have right now are really great at not catching my hair (and I have had snaggy sunglasses before), so I'm hoping that won't be an awful issue.

I take all of the pros and cons you guys post in consideration, so thank you all again. If I do get them, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

turtlelover
February 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I voted yes, but I would try on some clip on bangs first to be sure you would like them.