PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to thicken up ends?

Nutty
February 22nd, 2013, 03:24 AM
I have really fine and thin hair - its somewhere between APL and BSL - I would love it to get to BSL but when I wear my hair down it looks so thin at the ends. I have recently found out that Im anemic so I have been taken iron tablets for the last couple of months and I feel like my hair is starting to thicken up again - but this is just at the roots - its going to take for ever to catch up?

What's your advise?

Thanks

woolyleprechaun
February 22nd, 2013, 03:27 AM
Micro trimming ther ends will give your new growth to catch up, but that will obviously mean you are sacrificing length. You can either have a series of big chops, or you can wear it up and forget about it whilst taking small amounts off on a regular basis. Theres no quick cure, sadly....

torrilin
February 22nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
There's no instant cure. Health problems where your body has decided it can't support all your hair means that your body just plain turns off some of your hair follicles until you're better nourished. From your body's POV, hair is a luxury and it's way less necessary than important things like having blood to circulate.

The two main coping strategies seem to be "chop it all off" and "tiny trims". Chopping will feel like an instant cure, but it's *very* hard to tell if your treatment regimen is continuing to work if you chop. So if you can stand it, I'd stick with small trims while you and your doctor work out the right treatment routine. While I've never gotten *so* deficient that I had a massive shed, I do have to get my vitamin D levels monitored every 6 months so I stay above the minimum safe level. Since my Dad has been running a bordering on deadly D deficiency for years and years at this point (even a careful treatment regimen can't get his body to stay at safe levels for brain function), my doctor would prefer that we just continue monitoring. You may be able to treat your anemia like a temporary problem, but it may wind up being something where your body just needs a lot more iron to stay at levels where it doesn't freak out. And well, a regular blood test and supplements are way cheaper than all the bad stuff that happens if your body can't make blood cells.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Micro trims like I'm doing or once a month trim a little off using Monistat helped mine to thicken up.