PDA

View Full Version : Hair Tutorial Gone Wrong!

Ravenwind
February 21st, 2013, 10:05 PM
And this is why we don't use hot tools!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdVuSvZOqXM

I feel bad for the poor girl but I couldn't help but laugh...

akilina
February 21st, 2013, 10:12 PM
Lol I saw this just now before you posted.

I do feel bad...but geez...natural blondies ESPECIALLY.Natural blondies are usually fine haired...You use the lowest heat. And there is no reason to leave the heat on for dayyyyyyyys :p poor girl. I feel bad for all of the super nasty comments on facebook.

Ravenwind
February 21st, 2013, 10:15 PM
Lol I saw this just now before you posted.

I do feel bad...but geez...natural blondies ESPECIALLY.Natural blondies are usually fine haired...You use the lowest heat. And there is no reason to leave the heat on for dayyyyyyyys :p poor girl. I feel bad for all of the super nasty comments on facebook.

xD Usually that doesn't happen if you leave it for too long! I think it was the spray she used beforehand. Maybe with those certain type of hair curlers you don't need to leave it for that long.

PraiseCheeses
February 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
How on earth could she not smell it start to burn? Poor girl.

Buddaphlyy
February 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM
I got the link from another hair forum and I laughed so hard. I'm not hardcore anti-heat, but those curling wands are one of the worst offenders in my opinion. At least she seemed to take it in stride well enough.

Kaelee
February 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM
Good grief! I would be horrified by that video if I hadn't sworn off ALL heat styling years ago!!!!!! I feel horrible for her...

MORE
February 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Oh noooo.... I really feel for her, that's what woke me up and stop to use heat (and bleach in my case); although I did not get that dramatic effect - all of a sudden I had a 3 cm long bulk on top of my head... What a horror! lol my boyfriend thought it was the evil masseuse I just been to, he thought she cut it off haha

Ravenwind
February 21st, 2013, 10:48 PM
I know I would be completely devastated if that happened to me lol but it never will after seeing this!!

lovinglocks
February 21st, 2013, 11:42 PM
:agape: at first I was expecting her to do something stupid to burn herself in a silly way, then I was expecting a stupid looking curl, but i was NOT expecting that.

Natalia
February 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
Poor thing! I would not have been able to be that calm but geez if we can see the smoke cant she smell it?

Kleine Mädchen
February 22nd, 2013, 01:35 AM
Aww noooo! My boyfriend woke me up to watch this earlier today, poor girl! I definitely think it was the product she used (combined with the god awful amount of time it was burnt, of course) that probably did it. I just cant believe how all of that hair just burnt clean off! Never will I ever try to curl my hair!

FireFromWithin
February 22nd, 2013, 02:28 AM
That must have smelt horrible. I guess she just assumed it was normal, I've heard people say that steam is fine and is the product/ water burning off so maybe she thought it was just the product?

I have to say my reaction would have been a lot more dramatic if I'd just burnt off most of my hair, I've been known to use curlers on occasion, but you leave it for 5 - 10 seconds only (unless they are like my old ones which never seemed to be that hot and required 15 seconds)

woolyleprechaun
February 22nd, 2013, 02:42 AM
Her face was a picture..... I must admit, I am pretty impressed that she didn't cry, and that she posted the tutorial. She's a lot braver than I would have been :)

Ninika
February 22nd, 2013, 03:18 AM
Oh my goodness, that was quite scary! Poor thing! You can even see how the hair turns darker like burning caramel just before she tries taking it out...

jojo
February 22nd, 2013, 04:34 AM
I have done this in the past when trying to straighten my fringe, its the worst feeling ever. I feel sorry for the poor girl, but hair grows yeah?

though i will pass on the tresseme anti split spray!

jextxadore
February 22nd, 2013, 04:36 AM
I saw this a few hours ago…sort of laughed then went all "Oh no!…aw…what?…" But that look on her face…:D

It's fortunate that it's only that small bit on the side which she can cover up with other hair.

Wiggy Stardust
February 22nd, 2013, 04:50 AM
I hate this video because people have been gawking at it all day. I'm sure most of us have done horrible things to our hair, and we're not brave enough to document and upload THOSE adventures, so I dunno... Accidents happen I guess, no need to make a fuss.

I just can't really distance myself from her emotions enough to enjoy or stare at this. I suck at reality TV too; empathy sadness.

Neneka
February 22nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Poor girl. It was horrible! But she posted this anyway so she must see some humour in this. Luckily she didn't loose that much hair or burn her scalp or something. That didn't really completely destroy her hair or leave it in too bad shape.

Sadie
February 22nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
Hahah I have just seen this video on Facebook and I was about to post it myself... I am glad for her that she only lost a tiny stand of hair on the side, the damage could have been much worse!

Scarlet_Heart
February 22nd, 2013, 05:47 AM
Ahh... my husband just sent that to me this morning and I was going to post it. Beat me to it!

It looks like her hair was pretty fine so I don't know. But yea, it makes you think twice about heat styling, doesn't it? :p

Sterlyn
February 22nd, 2013, 06:05 AM
OMG, I watched it before I read any of the comments, never expected that......

That poor girl, at least it's somewhere that it wouldn't be too noticeable, would have been worse if it had been on the front (where bangs would be), hard to hide that.

Makes me glad that I gave away/threw out all my curling irons.....

Kherome
February 22nd, 2013, 06:11 AM
Oh my.....

PolarCathy
February 22nd, 2013, 06:17 AM
This is a DIY haircutting video! The title is wrong.

mzBANGBANG
February 22nd, 2013, 06:23 AM
My neurotic self while likely never be able to use an iron on my hair again.

longNred
February 22nd, 2013, 06:53 AM
omg. :bigeyes:

kudos to her for posting it anyway! I would of cried, A LOT. personally, I could never work those things. My hair has mostly always been too long, too thick, too much of it, and it was all just too time consuming! I tried, in my teens, but by the time I got most of my head done, the first curls were flat.

Anabell
February 22nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
OMG! I didn't expect this at all. I wasn't a big fun of the heat styling anyway, but now I can show it to my sister, and maybe that will convince her to stop ironing her hair....

Edit: And of cource I admire her corage to upload it anyway, although it goes wrong . So others can learn from her mistake...

lapushka
February 22nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
I don't get it, it wasn't on there for *that* long. How high a heat had she switched it to? Weird. The remaining hair has even darkened in color right at the spot where it burned off. :suspect:

Lyv
February 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
OMG! I can't believe how well she took it. I would have been bawling instantly, poor girl!

spidermom
February 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
That made people laugh?
I'd be devastated! I used to clamp my hair in the curling iron - no protective spray - and count to 10. It never burned my hair off. But OMG; the splits!

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Dang that's bad how do you not know its burning.

PrincessIdril
February 22nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
That poor girl.
All I want to know is how did she not smell it? Burning hair smells awful

rock007junkie
February 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
I saw this on Facebook as well...I felt sad for the poor girl but I couldn't help but laugh. Her expression was priceless.

BrightEyes
February 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oh my goodness, how terrible. The poor girl. I can't believe people are laughing at this.

PolarCathy
February 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry, I cried, but I cried because I laughed so hard!

Vanille_
February 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
I hate this video because people have been gawking at it all day. I'm sure most of us have done horrible things to our hair, and we're not brave enough to document and upload THOSE adventures, so I dunno... Accidents happen I guess, no need to make a fuss.

I just can't really distance myself from her emotions enough to enjoy or stare at this. I suck at reality TV too; empathy sadness.

I think in the moment we see, she was shocked and horrified. She probably was embarrassed and sad about it for a while as well. But the fact that she posted it on youtube tells me that she got past some of those feelings at least. You don't upload to youtube without realizing that you are going to get trolled with negative, hurtful replies. She was prepared for it and I totally think it's great that she felt confident enough to post it. Do you think she posted it for everyone to be sad? She did it for entertainment purposes.

Me around October 2012 attempting to curl my hair, but instead something else happened. It burned off. Cool. And no it's not fake! Wish it was so I could have my hair back LOL

Long_hair_bear
February 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry, I cried, but I cried because I laughed so hard!

May the good Lord forgive me, but I laughed too! Not neccessarily at her, but because it reminded me of my sister and of the girls in the hair salon that I go to that are constantly straightening, blow frying, curling, bleaching, and coloring. They all think they know what their doing and that it makes their hair look so posh, when in reality, they're killing it. When I walk into the salon with my one color, almost waist length hair to get my eyebrows done, they look at me like Im from another planet. Hence, I feel justified in laughing at the situation, but not at the poor girl. I would seriously bawl, but I gave up heated tools years ago.

PolarCathy
February 22nd, 2013, 09:28 AM
I come from the opposite direction than most -- I've never used that thing in my life. I don't even know what it is. :rollin:

I didn't laugh cry at her either; I laughed cried laughed at her expression though. Like others wrote, her face is priceless. :rollin:

May the good Lord forgive me, but I laughed too! Not neccessarily at her, (...) I feel justified in laughing at the situation, but not at the poor girl.

neko_kawaii
February 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Oh my! Kudos to her for the courage to post that and an ability to laugh at her own mistakes.

Ravenwind
February 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
I agree with everyone else, I was not laughing AT her, just the pure shock of OMG her hair came off with the curling iron and her reaction. If it was me, I would react like her but probably cry haha. Then I would look back and laugh about it because something like that does not happen everyday! Plus she posted the video for entertainment purposes and she had a good spirit about it.

Vanille_
February 22nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Yeah.. I would probably be in tears for days or weeks. Once I got a bad eyebrow wax (I'll never go to a beauty school to get anything that critical done again!). I was depressed for like a month or so.

humble_knight
February 22nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Wicked surname - Locklear....:mrt:.........hopefully not Locks 'n' Tears after burning her hair off.

Ravenwind
February 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Yeah.. I would probably be in tears for days or weeks. Once I got a bad eyebrow wax (I'll never go to a beauty school to get anything that critical done again!). I was depressed for like a month or so.

Wow I would be too. Eyebrows are really important. lol luckily there's makeup :)

Vanille_
February 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Wow I would be too. Eyebrows are really important. lol luckily there's makeup :)

I hadn't mastered eyebrow shading yet and the worst part was that I had gotten them done for a high school dance. I did the best I could, but it still didn't look very good.

LadyLongLocks
February 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
I saw this earlier today and feel so bad for her. She is a good sport to leave it up on youtube although I don't think she should be laughed at (reading the comments on youtube and facebook). 20 seconds was way too long to leave that iron on her fine hair. Wow a good example though of what heat can do.She must have had the temp on the highest...poor thing.

Mandie
February 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
I laughed, and then I felt bad about laughing, and then I realized she had to have chosen to put the video up and decided to laugh again. Thank goodness it was only one piece of hair on the underside, I could SEE it blackening as she held it there, I can't believe she didn't smell it. Poor girl.

Quixii
February 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
I gotta be honest, I didn't find it funny at all. I would have been bawling.

But I'm glad that she could eventually see the humour enough to be comfortable posting it on YouTube. Serves as a warning to all!

littlestarface
February 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
I screamed when I saw it,,how devastating for her,I cant even imagine seeing my hair fall out like that. I would scream in horror and then cry.

Khristopher
February 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
I was litterally shocked when I saw the video, wasn't expecting something like that! and it made me remember my teen years, there wasn't a day I didn't straightened my poor hair... but mine is coarse, lucky me. I feel bad for her, but it's good she uploaded the video so everyone can learn of her error.

starlamelissa
February 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
My stomach did a flip when I saw that. Not funny!

sarelis
February 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
I gasped when I saw the hair come away, welded to the tongs, but the expression on her face & the way she gawps at the sizzled hair cracked me up ( I know, I'm a bad person!). I was watching it with DD, and she couldn't believe her eyes & hasn't stopped talking about it - hopefully she will think twice next time she reaches for the straighteners!
It reminded me of when I was a kid, and my Mum gave me the task of blow drying my younger sister's fine, blonde hair (unsupervised). I got distracted by the TV & held the dryer in one spot to long, and was alerted by that horrible burning hair smell. I was horrified and just brushed out the singed bits as best I could to try to blend it in, my Mum never did notice!

jesis
February 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
This video went in slow motion for me. I would be mortified!

Latte Lady
February 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
I felt so bad for laughing; I wasn't going to, but it was the way she looked at the offending bit of hair got me. Not that I wouldn't have done the same. Karma is going to get me now. I'm going to get in a hurry and decide I need to blow dry that last section at the nape of my neck and a spark is going to fly.

rock007junkie
February 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
This video has gone completely viral. I opened up my Yahoo! homepage and they had the video there on the first page...poor girl

AnnaB
February 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
As funny as it is. That's exactly what happened to me when I was 11 and didn't know how to use a curling iron... I feel her pain.

Syaoransbear
February 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
I don't really understand how this happened. She was doing a hair tutorial, shouldn't she have tested this out first?

I don't think I own a curler that would get hot enough to do that, so I'm a little confused about what exactly went wrong.

Vanille_
February 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
I felt so bad for laughing; I wasn't going to, but it was the way she looked at the offending bit of hair got me. Not that I wouldn't have done the same. Karma is going to get me now. I'm going to get in a hurry and decide I need to blow dry that last section at the nape of my neck and a spark is going to fly.

I got some of my hair stuck in a blowdryer a couple of months ago. Luckily it wasn't a lot, but it did have to be cut out. :(

maborosi
February 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
I feel so bad because I laughed pretty hard...

She must have some sort of sense of humor about it, though.

~maborosi~

Pantsless Amy
February 22nd, 2013, 06:23 PM
I feel so bad for her. I cried for her, poor thing.

Ligeia_13
February 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
This video has gone completely viral. I opened up my Yahoo! homepage and they had the video there on the first page...poor girl

I saw it on tumblr :p

anitacs9101
February 22nd, 2013, 08:39 PM
How is that possible?? I was just about to post it here. I remember one time I burned off my barbie doll's hair the same way because it's synthetic but I had no idea that could happen to real hair.

ghost
February 22nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Poor girl! I've definitely singed my hair with a curling iron before, but I've never had a whole lock just come off like that.

Kaelee
February 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
How is that possible?? I was just about to post it here. I remember one time I burned off my barbie doll's hair the same way because it's synthetic but I had no idea that could happen to real hair.

Don't some curling irons/flat irons get up to around 500* F? I can't imagine that wouldn't be capable of doing this.

SOOO glad I don't heat style. I watched a friend heat style her hair...and steam was coming out of it. Every time I walk into a hair salon I get the faint smell of burnt hair. (WHY would someone go into a place that smells like burning hair to get their hair styled! EEEEEK!)

Fufu
February 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I felt she left her hair curled way too long.

My understand is 3 to 5 seconds is more than enough to have hair curled.

I was in shock to see a bunch of her hair snapped off. Anyway, I believe she will stay away from curling thong for a period of time.

Celtic Morla
February 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I swore off curling irons years ago when I dropped one I was using and have a nice white scar about 4 inches long on my boob!!!!

I couldnt help but laugh..my DD was just loking at me from the other end of the table like I had gone and lost it..LOL

writer_mom
February 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I saw this and my stomach dropped. I have long hair, and a life long fear/hatred of these devices. The whole time her hair was browning I was going "no! take it out, take it out!" Poor girl. I would be crying if it were me :(

Bianca
February 24th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Oh wow... Did not expect that :eek:

Mya
February 24th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Couldn't help cursing. SO cringeworthy! :couch:

Her face was a picture..... I must admit, I am pretty impressed that she didn't cry, and that she posted the tutorial. She's a lot braver than I would have been :)

I got quite impressed too! Her shock wasn't so bad and she came out from it pretty fast.

Mya
February 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM
OMG! I didn't expect this at all. I wasn't a big fun of the heat styling anyway, but now I can show it to my sister, and maybe that will convince her to stop ironing her hair....[/COLOR]

Good idea! This video may be useful for brainwashing some friends into healthy haircare! :D

UltraBella
February 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
These irons can heat up to 430 degrees F. The area she first wrapped was left on for soooo long, I couldn't believe how long she was taking to wrap her hair. Wrap quickly, release !
I curl my hair all the time but I put it on a lower temp setting and curl quickly.

Vanille_
February 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
When I used to flat iron my hair, I would run it down the section so fast. I didn't want that thing on my hair any long than it had to be. And on top of that, I would leave it on the lowest heat. I am just really scared of heat products. I got rid of the flat iron but now on the rare occasion I blow dry my hair, I do it super fast not leaving it on one section for more than a second. It's more like a constant movement I do.

I shared this on Facebook and my friend said she was going to show it to her daughter who uses the curling iron every single day.

Kaelee
February 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Is it just me or do these newer irons get way hotter than the old ones (and probably way hotter than they need to be?) I remember the old clamp-style (well they're still around) that my grandmother uses, and that she used on me, and that I used as a teen. I never had anything even REMOTELY resembling that sort of damage, even with all the gel and spray and etc. that I used then.

lapushka
February 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Is it just me or do these newer irons get way hotter than the old ones (and probably way hotter than they need to be?) I remember the old clamp-style (well they're still around) that my grandmother uses, and that she used on me, and that I used as a teen. I never had anything even REMOTELY resembling that sort of damage, even with all the gel and spray and etc. that I used then.

I was about as bad as her (slow) with my crimper back in High school, and I sprayed it chock full of hairspray as well (this is more than 20 years ago). I have F hair and I never ever had what that girl experienced, not even remotely. Which is why I'm wondering about the heat of these tools as well. I have a straightener and curling iron with adjustable heat settings now (collecting dust I'm afraid), but I'd never again buy ones that aren't adjustable, like the crimper I owned years ago. It didn't seem to get too hot, though.

Kiwiwi
February 26th, 2013, 08:12 AM
This girl was on Ellen! :)
I'm glad to see she indeed put it up because she thought it was just funny.

Here's the link to the video on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/OVzbds5tOOw

neko_kawaii
February 26th, 2013, 08:49 AM
"Side burn" - classic.

Kaelee
February 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Ok, NOW I'm laughing. :lol: I love Ellen Degeneres.

Lapushka, I think I was that slow with my curling iron (though maybe not THAT bad), and never had that sort of damage. I'm wondering if she took longer than she thought she did because she was making the video (I know if I'm describing something while I'm doing it I take longer.)

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
"Side burn" - classic.

Yeah, hilarious! :lol: Nice "Ellen"-clip. Loved that! Great to see she took it so well!

Kaelee
February 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Yeah, hilarious! :lol: Nice "Ellen"-clip. Loved that! Great to see she took it so well!

I don't think I would have taken in nearly that well. :lol: Good for her!

Ravenwind
February 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
This girl was on Ellen! :)
I'm glad to see she indeed put it up because she thought it was just funny.

Here's the link to the video on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/OVzbds5tOOw

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it! lol
Now everyone can understand the story and not be upset with us who were laughing :) even the whole audience was laughing!!

Angelica
February 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Good God! I wonder if the appliance was faulty and that is certainly not good advertisement for Tresemme. It seemed to happen very quickly and my guess was that she was inexperienced. I am surprised she was so calm, and well done to her for this. But this could have caused her serious burns and thank goodness she didn't do this to her whole hair. Poor girl :( Not funny at all.

lapushka
February 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Good God! I wonder if the appliance was faulty and that is certainly not good advertisement for Tresemme. It seemed to happen very quickly and my guess was that she was inexperienced. I am surprised she was so calm, and well done to her for this. But this could have caused her serious burns and thank goodness she didn't do this to her whole hair. Poor girl :( Not funny at all.

Poor Tresemme. ;) I'm guessing split end remedy is going to be a best-seller. :p

Mya
February 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
LOL

The girl is so cool! :D

Buddaphlyy
February 26th, 2013, 01:35 PM

That was all the girls fault though. Tresemme does have a heat protectant spray that lots of people rave about. She used their leave-in treatment, which probably made her hair more moist further contributing to her hair burning off. The irony of this though, is that the Split End spray she used would probably work great for her hair now. :yawn:

katiebeans
February 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Holy cow! I was watching this and couldn't figure out what else could go wrong other than her hair burning off. Except I'm sitting here thinking "that's not possible." I was wrong! I have to admit I cringed when she said to hold it there for 20+ seconds.

I haven't used any heat styling in nearly a year, only because I am too darn lazy, but this certainly scared me from using any ever again.

Rufflebutt
February 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I agree, I exclusively use tresseme products and I swear by them.