PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a Gibson tuck

MissDixie
February 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
I tried a Gibson tuck for the first time last night! I love it! Finally have a use for that barrette! Which btw I hate how it gets caught when trying to remove it.

Any tips on how to hide the hair tie and good barrettes that are less likely to damage hair?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mxfoxw.jpg

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2013, 12:40 PM
I don't know how you can hide them but it looks great.

Mandie
February 21st, 2013, 12:47 PM
I hadn't heard of this before now, it's so going on my hairstyle list! You did an awesome job. I try to avoid any barrette that has a snap, I use the kind that slides closed like this (http://www.theribbonretreat.com/Images/Product/350x350/Product_724.JPEG) or maybe even a Flexi-8 (http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/d1d0754d.jpg) to cut down on the damage. It's all those friggin edges and parts in barettes that snag all the hair. I have a barette that I love but barely wear because it takes me ten minutes of coaxing to get it out of my (VERY smooth and non-tangley) hair.

bettylibertine
February 21st, 2013, 01:08 PM
Beautiful! Love the barrette too :D
I second the suggestion of a flexi-8.

melusine963
February 21st, 2013, 01:24 PM
You did a great job on that style! I've never managed a successful Gibson tuck myself, but I like admiring other people's. :)

neko_kawaii
February 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM
Nice! Gibson Tucks are so elegant but my hair wants to fall right out of the pocket. *sigh* Enjoy it!

joflakes
February 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Very pretty!

ravenreed
February 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
If you pull the elastic lower down on the ponytail right before you tuck, it should fit deeper in the pocket and be less visible.

embee
February 21st, 2013, 03:21 PM
That looks lovely! Barrettes that snag are a pain... I have some and use them *very* seldom, only for special occasions.

Celtic Morla
February 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM
What I do is fold my hair several timesand tie another band around it before I tuck it. Then I pin the band down and use a flower clip to cover the tuck.

It looks nice it took me many more timesto get it to even work!

Naughtalee
February 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
That looks like a perfect timeline hairdo!! All you need is some blunt blangs and ruby woo!!

lovinglocks
February 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Looks really good! That barette is so pretty! :)

MissDixie
February 21st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the tips, better accessories suggestions and compliments!! I will definitely try and buy!! I love ruby woo!! It's gorgeous! I've never bought it, but hey!! What the heck! I might add that to the buy list!! ;)

jasper
February 21st, 2013, 07:05 PM
I haven't seen these discussed in a while, but zannclips are good for not snagging hair. http://www.zannclip.com/store/

MORE
February 21st, 2013, 11:24 PM
Pretty! I really have to try to do a Gibson tuck myself, love the look. Good job! :)

AnqeIicDemise
February 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
I close mine with a few bobby pins or u pins as close to the band as possible. Then I stick a fork or a barrette inside to cover whatever is left to show. Its all about the stragetic placement of the finished toy.

silverthread
February 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Lovely. Your hair is so shiny, and the barrette finishes it off nicely.

DancingQueen
February 22nd, 2013, 07:04 AM
Beautiful :)

To hide the elastic, just take a small portion of hair and wrap around the band. You can braid it for extra hold. Then do the tuck. :)

browneyedsusan
February 22nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
If you pull the elastic lower down on the ponytail right before you tuck, it should fit deeper in the pocket and be less visible.

^this^ Make your ponytail really loose. Tuck the elastic deep in the pocket, and put a hair fork or some kind of pretty over the pocket hole.

neko_kawaii
February 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Beautiful :)

To hide the elastic, just take a small portion of hair and wrap around the band. You can braid it for extra hold. Then do the tuck. :)

Now why didn't I think of that! Brilliant. Thank you!

PixxieStix
February 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
That looks great, congratulations! I've never been able to get one of those to work in my hair.