PDA

View Full Version : My Strange Addiction - long hair episode

Mely
February 20th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Has anyone else watched this episode?

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/my-strange-addiction/season-4-strange-addictions-pictures.htm

Her hair is 21 feet long. I didn't know hair could get that long.

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Wow that is quite interesting. Is it her real hair? You can braid in hair.

And I didn't know hair could get that long either but what makes total sense is that people report when dreading their hair it can actually get longer than their hair could not dreaded. So..I could see it working because it looks like she keeps her hair in microbraids.

Kyla
February 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I saw it earlier tonight. :) I believe it was said it was her real hair, and she had been growing/dreading it for 25 years. I thought it was lovely, although I dislike how this show tacks on the word "addiction" to slightly odd things as if they are that serious. Not wanting to cut your hair does not mean that you're addicted to it. They've done this with a lot of other episodes as well, but I don't expect excellent things from TLC. :p

LadyKate
February 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I just saw this episode, and I suspect that one of the reasons she's been able to grow her hair so long is that it's dreaded, the hairs that might break off and fall in un-dreaded hair would stay in the dreads... (That could be completely untrue, just my thought.) I am obviously a fan of long hair, and am growing my own (don't think I would want mine longer than my body, but that's just me), but I do think that if it's causing her serious pain it might be a good idea to reconsider.

TheHowlingWolf
February 21st, 2013, 12:13 AM
I saw that episode! My mom said, "That better not be you in 20 years!" LOL!

jextxadore
February 21st, 2013, 04:46 AM
So either she sweeps the floor or her hair does it for her…

I can't imagine the strain that must cause on the scalp. Seems to be a lot of weight to be carrying around.

hafattack
February 21st, 2013, 05:16 AM
AHH! I agree- looks so heavy! I have to agree with Kyla. I dont see anything necessarily unhealthy or detrimental with such long hair, except maybe extra work. But I suppose we are all addicted :)

Sterlyn
February 21st, 2013, 05:46 AM
I saw this last night too. I wondered if the dreads allowed her to achieve such lengths as well, I would assume hair that didn't have dreads would eventually have mechanical damage from years of dragging on the floor when she walked in her house. Then again without the dreadlocks it would be much easier to put it up and out of the way, the dreads made that really difficult, can't imagine the weight. She must have fairly developed neck and shoulder muscles to deal with that every day.

For me I see no harm if she enjoys keeping it that long, and doesn't mind the time and effort to care for it, but I think personnally that was way more hair than I would ever want to deal with on my own head, dreads or no dreads.

I only saw the beginning, had to turn it when they had the lady who kept stinging herself with bees, could not watch her pull the guts out of one more honeybee after it stung her, gave me the heebee geebees.

katiebeans
February 21st, 2013, 06:11 AM
Wow! I love watching the show when I can, but i haven't seen this one. I agree with everyone else that the weight must be a burden sometimes. I also agree with kyla, I dislike when they feature people who are just really passionate about something (in this case her hair) and attach the word addicted.

Ruzovy
February 21st, 2013, 06:36 AM
patiently waiting for someone to post this episode on youtube now....

truepeacenik
February 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
http://articles.mamaslatinas.com/beauty/110691/womans_obsession_with_21foot_long
It's html5" so I can't see it on my iPad, but ymmv.
And just ignore the blog post. Snotty woman.

akilina
February 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
Wow! I love watching the show when I can, but i haven't seen this one. I agree with everyone else that the weight must be a burden sometimes. I also agree with kyla, I dislike when they feature people who are just really passionate about something (in this case her hair) and attach the word addicted.

I also agree. They act like they are freaks or something. There was the one about the lady whos whole life was pink basically..she even exclusively ate pink foods. Weird sure, but clearly it was just a passion. Same with the cabbage patch kids or whatever it was. They would have doll meets and treat them like real children. Some of the crap they put on us just passion but they portray these people like they are freaks just for views I am sure.
I would say though that ones like the lady who is addicted to sniffing moth balls, or eating cat food, is indeed an addiction.

I don't have TV, and more and more I am incredibly disgusted and unimpressed with the content TLC airs. Garbage like "honey boo boo" and all the shows alike is on the "LEARNING" channel???

RileyJane
February 22nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
The fact that they called it an addiction...hilarious

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
It's beautiful.

jillosity
February 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Haven't seen any TLC trash lately, meaning ever, but remember with all of these "reality" shows, it's the person that contacts the production company or channel or whatever to get on the show. Fame for any reason today is so desirable that people are willing to be on any kind of show to get a bit famous.

neko_kawaii
February 22nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Haven't seen any TLC trash lately, meaning ever, but remember with all of these "reality" shows, it's the person that contacts the production company or channel or whatever to get on the show. Fame for any reason today is so desirable that people are willing to be on any kind of show to get a bit famous.

No, some people are contacted by the producers. There was a LHC lady (I forget who) who was contacted for this episode IIRC.

jillosity
February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
No, some people are contacted by the producers. There was a LHC lady (I forget who) who was contacted for this episode IIRC.

I'm sure that sometimes happens, but by and large, people are not "discovered" anymore, they are looking for ways to get famous and they're willing to do whatever it takes.

spirals
February 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
^ My cousin. She's always been a ham. Always.

jillosity
February 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
^ My cousin. She's always been a ham. Always.

lol, can't help but think of the video that was posted of the girl who burned her own hair off trying to do a hair tutorial, really, you want to be known for that? The answer is YES, which is sad and weird to my mind.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
You're exactly right LadyKate. Dreads grow longer because the shed hairs don't fall away. They stay matted onto newer hairs.

I didn't see the show, only an AOL clip. With the problems she describes, I think there's something unhealthy about hanging onto all those feet of hair. I don't know if I'd call it addiction, though. Maybe obsession/compulsion.

HairFaerie
February 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM
I wonder if she wears it up most of the time? It's her hair but there's no way I could have mine dragging all over the floor like that! AGH! Maybe she just has it down for the pic...

rock007junkie
February 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Oh my word, that is a lot of hair! I can imagine that being extremely heavy if she puts it up

auburntressed
February 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Haha, well... I have never been a fan of dreads, regardless of length.

It's obvious that this lady is very happy with her hair, though, regardless of whatever challenges she has to face to care for it and keep it. I don't see why people ought to be critical of her choice as long as it doesn't impact them personally. If it was making her miserable, then I could understand being critical out of concern for her... but she really does not look or behave as if it makes her miserable. She acts and talks like it brings her joy and makes her feel unique.

I only saw the clip, though. I haven't been able to find the full episode.

floralgem
February 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Her hair is actually really pretty! I don't see why people call it an "addiction" it's just hair... The bee sting one is another story though...

ghost
February 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't call that an addiction. Jeez, TLC, playing a little fast and loose there with that word :/
As long as she's happy with her hair the way it is and doesn't have any overwhelmingly negative feelings about it, that's all that matters. I don't think growing her hair super long is even really a "behavior", the way a therapist would use the term, obsessive or otherwise. Hair just...grows. Some people just want it to keep on growing.

thirstylocks
February 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Her hair is lovely

GrowingOut
February 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
So... If it's an addiction...

See y'all in rehab?

AnthonyB93
February 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
I love the idea of extremely long hair, but why as dreads? I don't understand the beauty of it. I think it looks ugly and unkempt.

Mely
February 22nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
I saw the show. She talks to her hair as if it were a person. In fact I think she had a name for it, and referred to it as "him". I thought that was quite weird. When she went out she put most of her hair in a sort of fanny pack. But it seems pretty harmless. I don't think the hair is hurting her.

LadyLongLocks
February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
I saw the show. For dreadlocks I thought they were pretty nice. Her life revolved around her hair though.A little much. I have almost floor length and she made my hair look easy!

truepeacenik
February 23rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
Dreadlocks do get longer because you keep your sheds. (But loc-ing eats up a bunch of length to start, especially in straight hair)
Locs are bun and up do adaptable, the toys are just thicker and longer.

Dreads mean something to many people who grow them.

Talking to your hair is probably odd no matter the length.

Luminaria
February 24th, 2013, 02:11 AM
What a coincidence! I was gonna make a thread about this episode! It's amazing how long she grew her hair. I wonder who has the longest hair on LHC. Hmmmm....

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Now I feel like I must be the only person on LHC who likes dreads :3 Although hers are a bit much.
I had midback to waist length dreads and knowing how heavy those were, I can't even imagine the weight of hers.
I think dreads are gorgeous, I love wild things.

Ruzovy
February 24th, 2013, 06:13 AM
You're not alone bradlea, I love dreads! I would do them on myself but I know I would regret it and I'd probably not take good care of them anyway so it wouldn't be wise :/
But they are pretty when well cared for.

bradlea
February 24th, 2013, 06:31 AM
You're not alone bradlea, I love dreads! I would do them on myself but I know I would regret it and I'd probably not take good care of them anyway so it wouldn't be wise :/
But they are pretty when well cared for.

Glad I'm not alone! :D I had to get rid of them because my head was so itchy that I couldn't sleep. They weren't dirty or anything, my scalp just wasn't able to handle no conditioner. Ah well! Enjoying this new hair journey, haha.

Kaelee
February 27th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Watching it right now...with the amount that she ways it interferes with her life (and uses 24 BOTTLES of shampoo a MONTH) I'd say she definitely has a problem, even if that problem is only lack of knowledge of how to not have it get in the way.

It's BEAUTIFUL. And in great condition. But I would never want my hair that long.