PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and shedding?

missannie
February 20th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I started using coconut oil last june and found that i loved the stuff. It made my hair so soft shiny and that my hair just did what I wanted it to do. I started a heavy shed soon after and it continued for months. I had never had a shed like that before! I decided one day to use up all my old stuff so it would not go to waste and started using my moroccon oil again (Which I adore) and after a few days I realized my shedding stopped completly! I put two nd two together and believe it was the coconut oil making me shed! I now only put it on my ends and no where near my scalp and only once in a while. Has anyone else had this problem?

melusine963
February 21st, 2013, 02:22 AM
Are you putting the oil on your scalp? That can causes shedding for some people. Maybe try oiling just from the ears down, that way your hair will still get the benefit. Personally, my scalp produces enough oil on its own, so I never need to add extra above my chin level.

Miss Maisie
February 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
I can't use it near my scalp at all. Jojoba, yes. Coconut oil, and I shed like a dog.

Vrindi
February 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM
That's good to know, and explains a few sheds! No more coconut oil on my scalp!

missannie
February 22nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yes I was putting it on my scalp! I thought I was nourishing my scalp with it so I did rub it all over my head. I will try from the ears down and see how that goes. I do miss how it made my hair act though, but I am just really to scared to use it again!

sakuraemily
February 27th, 2013, 06:02 AM
You were doing right. It doesn't hurt to nourish scalp some more with oil. But I've had shedding with coconut oil too. I was puzzled at first because people in my country swear by the stuff but I guess everyone is different. Its obviously not oil itself causing the shedding cause you are ok with argan oil.I find that sweet almond oil and castor oil work for me.

Snakecharm
February 27th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Well that explains a lot. I'd been slathering on the Vatika trying to combat dry scalp (I'm actually beginning to suspect psoriasis) and wondering why I was shedding like a cat at the vet...:rolleyes:

emeraldfaery
February 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM
That could be my problem! I love coconut oil and I use it several times a week. I don't try to rub it into my scalp, but I don't avoid it either. The last month or so I have been shedding like crazy. I'm a little worried cause my hair is getting so thin because of it. Maybe I'll eliminate the coconut oil and see what happens. Thanks for posting about this!

missannie
February 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yes and thank you for your comments. i am a newbie and I have been so worried that i am not posting correctly because I still am not sure what I can and cannot do! But i love talking to everyone.

sakuraemily
February 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Yes and thank you for your comments. i am a newbie and I have been so worried that i am not posting correctly because I still am not sure what I can and cannot do! But i love talking to everyone.

Its all about trial and error. I never realised I had a problem with coconut oil until I tried other oils. I think it makes my hair kinda strawy too.
You can try an egg mask sometime. Some people(like me) love it. Some others find that it causes straw hair. But its worth a try, I think. Just make sure you don't wash your hair with hot or even warm water coz the egg will cook.

ravenreed
February 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Any oiling of the scalp makes me shed like a wildebeest. It doesn't stop me from doing it, I just do it less often than I otherwise might. I think the oiling benefits counterbalance the shedding.

sakuraemily
March 1st, 2013, 05:00 AM
Any oiling of the scalp makes me shed like a wildebeest. It doesn't stop me from doing it, I just do it less often than I otherwise might. I think the oiling benefits counterbalance the shedding.

Thats not very good though. have you tried using gentler techniques?

missannie
March 1st, 2013, 11:58 PM
I have read on some of these posts that some people swear by olive oil, oh how my hair hates it! Coconut oil seems to just be magic on my hair, I just put it on very light and it seems to glow!

sakuraemily
March 2nd, 2013, 11:12 PM
I have read on some of these posts that some people swear by olive oil, oh how my hair hates it! Coconut oil seems to just be magic on my hair, I just put it on very light and it seems to glow!

All hair is different. Olive works well for me. But you should definitely not put coconut on your scalp again.

Auksaplauke
March 3rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
And my hair now is shedding too. I think meybe it is change of season.

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have read on here before that some people can't oil their scalps at all. But in case you can use another oil, because its the coconut oil specifically causing the problem, try jamaican black castor. I have a dry scalp and that's what I use. I mix it half and half with burdock oil.

rowie
March 3rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
I have read on here before that some people can't oil their scalps at all. But in case you can use another oil, because its the coconut oil specifically causing the problem, try jamaican black castor. I have a dry scalp and that's what I use. I mix it half and half with burdock oil.

Does this accentuate curls?

Wildcat Diva
March 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
I tried castor oil/ avacado oil scalp massages last summer and scary handfuls of hair left my scalp. I'm not doing that again to that degree anyway. I was pretty generous with the oil if I remember.

missannie
March 16th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I find for myself that if I mix my gel and morroccon oil together it really makes my hair curly!