PDA

View Full Version : Tea Tree Oil Emergency!!!!

nikkidondon
February 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Okay so I did something very stupid a few days ago...I heard that tea tree oil is good for an itchy scalp/ a healthy scalp so I put 5 or 6 drops of undiluted oil from trader joe's on my fingertips and rubbed it all over my scalp...3 or 4 days later and the nape of my neck is so itchy and my scalp is very itchy behind my ears and other places. Did I just completely screw myself? What should I do!? help! :[

Seeshami
February 20th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Rinse with warm water and baking soda. Just a tablespoon or so and mermaid in it.

nikkidondon
February 20th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Rinse with warm water and baking soda. Just a tablespoon or so and mermaid in it.

Thanks so much!!!!

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I would think the most logical thing would be....washing your scalp...

Seeshami
February 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM
No problem. Baking soda is good for tons of stuff.

And always tea tree in moderation! :o

OhioLisa
February 20th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I would not recommend baking soda if your scalp is already irritated, as it can be VERY harsh. Just wash with something mild.

Seeshami
February 20th, 2013, 10:08 PM
EEK You're right straight baking soda would be bad. But in several gallons of water it should be fine. My skin loves baking soda I can cake it on a rash and be fine.

Icialine
February 20th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Lots of people use tea tree oil undiluted without any problems so I think you might just be a bit allergic to it. I agree with those who say to simply wash your scalp but if you're still itchy afterwards I'd treat it like any other rash and apply something cooling like aloe vera gel.

novemberfoxtrot
February 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
maybe try yogurt if the baking soda doesn't work?

McFearless
February 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Lots of people use tea tree oil undiluted without any problems so I think you might just be a bit allergic to it. I agree with those who say to simply wash your scalp but if you're still itchy afterwards I'd treat it like any other rash and apply something cooling like aloe vera gel.

Those people have been lucky, but you should not use the oil undiluted. I think the OP has caused permanent sensitization and it is somewhat likely that she can no longer use tea tree oil without having the same reaction to it.

ghost
February 20th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Maybe an oatmeal bath?

Remyy
February 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM
My skin reacts so well to tea tree. I use it undiluted and directly to my skin all the time. Your skin is probably sensitive to it but it's not harmful or anything. You scalp should be fine!

Nini
February 21st, 2013, 01:17 AM
Those people have been lucky, but you should not use the oil undiluted. I think the OP has caused permanent sensitization and it is somewhat likely that she can no longer use tea tree oil without having the same reaction to it.

I find that highly unlikely. Tea tree oil has been undiluted for centuries, however as with any EO if you've not tried it before it's smart to do a patch test, especially if you have a history of allergies.

OP: It might also be that you might have to adjust your routine. Are you trying to stretch washes? Maybe you need to wash it more often, or not as often as you currently do. I had a couple of itchy spots that disappeared when I changed my shampoo.

AnqeIicDemise
February 21st, 2013, 01:49 AM
Been there.Done that. Got the scabs to prove it shortly after. (I have slight ocd and one of my triggers are bumps on my skin. I find a bump/scab and I pick. Pick. PICK UNTIL I BLEED AND KEEP AT IT!)

What I did was that I slathered my scalp with olive oil and coconut oil for a very, very, very deep conditioning after I did a baking soda and low sulfate shampoo wash. I then CO washed the oil off. Oh, sweet relief. I've never, ever, ever used tea tree oil ever after that. And unlike you, I had diluted it before hand. Perhaps, not as much as I should have, but still. That thing is for the devil. ^.- (Much jealousies of those who can use TT)

littlestarface
February 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM
I've used tea tree oil in my conditioner to stop my scalp from itching and it worked really good.

nikkidondon
February 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Thank you all for answering! To clear some things up yes I washed my scalp haha....this happened about three days ago and after those days I am stillll feeling quite itchy on my scalp so I co-washed today and I'm feeling a little better...bottom line is my skin is very sensitive especially to certain strong perfumes sometimes even natural odors/oils so it was a huge mistake to use this oil ahhh

AnqeIicDemise
February 22nd, 2013, 12:04 AM
Thank you all for answering! To clear some things up yes I washed my scalp haha....this happened about three days ago and after those days I am stillll feeling quite itchy on my scalp so I co-washed today and I'm feeling a little better...bottom line is my skin is very sensitive especially to certain strong perfumes sometimes even natural odors/oils so it was a huge mistake to use this oil ahhh

Deep condition with olive oil or conut oil (if your scalp/skin takes it okay). I warmed mine up for easier distribution --plus it feels fantastic against the scalp. Follow it by a co wash. I did this twice a week until the sores healed.

Milui Elenath
February 22nd, 2013, 12:44 AM
I find that highly unlikely. Tea tree oil has been undiluted for centuries, however as with any EO if you've not tried it before it's smart to do a patch test, especially if you have a history of allergies.

OP: It might also be that you might have to adjust your routine. Are you trying to stretch washes? Maybe you need to wash it more often, or not as often as you currently do. I had a couple of itchy spots that disappeared when I changed my shampoo.

I'm sorry but as a qualified aromatherapist I have to speak. No-one should EVER put undiluted EO's on their heads not any of them they are powerful. Tea tree oil when used and made traditionally was usually in the form of crushed leaves and teas and afterwards in alchohol. Nearly all EO's are steam distilled so they weren't used by peoples of the past without this equipment. I love EO's but they are a potent version of their natural counterparts and require some respect. The only time tea tree should be used undiluted, (which I think is where it gets its reputation from for being used undiluted) is on fungus, warts and other more stubborn skin conditions. On the head/face I would be certain to limit the use to a very tiny area and a very tiny amount and would consider still adding a carrier oil.

OP It sounds like you've done everything right afterwards, washing and being gentle until your skin recovers. Hopefully you just over did the strength and no continuing sensitivity to tea tree will occur but if you choose to use it again I would do a small area first for a test (on your scalp since it may not react elsewhere) and dilute 1 drop for every 4mls for the head/face since it should be a lower dilution than for the body.

For myself I am allergic to tea tree oil it gives me asthma! :(