PDA

View Full Version : New mom hairdo ideas please!

sweetaj
February 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hello!

I am in desperate need of some new, easy hairstyle ideas! I have a little one at home now, and don't get much time to do my hair in the morning. Currently, I wash my hair every other day, and wear it down and straight one day, and in a pony the next day. The problem is, my ponytail looks awful because of how I sleep on my hair - not smooth at all.

My goal is to get my hair long enough to wear a sock bun at night and sock bun curls during the day. Right now, the length is between my shoulders and APL. My hair is kind of thin, and a little curly, but I usually straighten it. I don't have time to wash it in the morning to wear it curly right now.

Thanks for any ideas!

neko_kawaii
February 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
When mine was little I did a basic english braid every day and before it was long enough to braid I just put a bandana over it.

DancingQueen
February 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I second the braid - you could even make a french braid if your hair is long enough. It is quick, easy and looks nice and smooth. :)

FireFromWithin
February 20th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I'd say braiding would be easiest. You could pin the braid into a bun if you needed it up too. Or you could fix it with a clip.

sweetaj
February 20th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the replies - I hadn't thought of braids!

leslissocool
February 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Basic english braid on the back, or try buns! Nautilus and Infinity buns are super quick, they are my to go buns.

torrilin
February 21st, 2013, 07:59 AM
Depending on your thickness, a single braid might not work. Twin braids work on almost any thickness tho, and are a little easier to do. If your hair is a bit curly, I wouldn't bother to straighten it before braiding. Just do the usual detangle in the shower with conditioner, and braid your hair while wet. It's healthier for your hair, it's faster, and it takes less effort all of which are huge plusses with babies and toddlers. If the braids are annoyingly wet after, blot them dry with a towel. The other nice bonus is you don't have to redo a braid to sleep in it!

If the little one is getting grabby about your braids, it's pretty easy to pin twin braids up so it looks nice and is less yankable. Tho I also find if a baby or toddler is yanking it helps to do pretty overdramatic "ouch" yowls to reinforce the idea that it hurts.

If down days are really enjoyable for you, I'd also look to pick up lace braiding so you can do things like lace braided headbands. I also like to do half ups where the tail gets wound into a pretty bun. Even something as simple as a cinnamon bun makes a plain half up look super fancy. Fancier/more stable buns will look really nice too. The bonus is that the skills you pick up this way come in really handy as your hair gets longer.

Miss Maisie
February 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
My hair laughs at the idea of one braid. It's texture (1c/2a, f, ii) is very slippery and baby fine, and every time I try to braid it in one braid, the ponytail holder slides off within an hour, and even if it stays in, my hair slips out of the braid.

I am all about my spin pins. Bun on the top of my head, spin pins, done. Messy, but cute.

woolyleprechaun
February 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
I would go for a french braid. If you are lucky, it could stay looking presentable for a couple of days! :D

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM
I like a bun myself.

ravenheather
February 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
I love a Dutch braid for my slippery apl hair

bunzfan
February 22nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have been exactly were your at! from new born my youngest now 3 was grabbing my hair, so my loves of hair sticks was born at your length i did the split bun split bun

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyuEIkHJ9o)you could also try these ii made this video for another shorter haired updo wannabe shoulder length updo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFwBEhS2JU)

camara
February 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
You...find the time to wash your hair every other day!? When my DS was a newborn I was happy if I was able to grab a hair elastic and make a tangly ponytail!

;) Without joking, I did mostly english braids. They are quick to do and my hair was out of the way.

Congratulations on the little one.