PDA

View Full Version : Am I losing too much hair?

Ruzovy
February 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I just finished brushing my hair, which I usually only do every couple of days or so, and because my SO keeps complaining about all my shedding and I have noticed it too, I figured I'd count just how many hairs I was losing to see if they really were that many or if it just seemed that way because my hair's gotten longer (past BSL now).

I counted around 50. I was gentle and I used a tangleteezer so now I'm scared I might actually be shedding more than normal.

Has anyone counted their "couple days worth" of shed before? is there anything I can do to help with this?

silverthread
February 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
50 every two days sounds about right to me. It may just seem like a lot because it's at BSL.

Vrindi
February 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
You're probably fine. 50 actually isn't that much. If you're noticing bare spots on your scalp, then there's an issue. You could just be going through a normal shed. I lose probably around that many a day normally, and my hair is still great. :) Don't worry, or if you are, make sure you're eating well too, getting good rest, and are managing stress in your life. If you haven't changed your hair products, it's probably just normal shed.

Ruzovy
February 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Thank you so much for the reassurance, I was freaking out! I'll keep an eye on it just in case though :)

MrsGuther
February 20th, 2013, 11:19 AM
50 hairs in two days sounds fine. I totally understand about being worried about shed amounts! I freak out from time to time.

jeanniet
February 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM
50 hairs for two days really isn't that much. I'd guess mine is easily twice that on a good day (my husband is always appalled by it, but then he's balding, haha). I know it looks like a lot, but remember that since your hair is getting longer, what looks like a lot really isn't. 50-100 hairs a day is normal. What you want to watch for is an extreme change. I've always shed quite a bit, so I don't worry.

Ruzovy
February 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I guess 50 isn't much, but it doesn't include all the other hair I shed around the house too. Plus all the endless clumps when I wash my hair of course. I dunno, when the end of the day comes and I look around and all I see is shed hair everywhere I get a bit worried. Plus the SO's whining doesn't help...

Vrindi
February 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM
It's not that much. Tell the SO to stop whining ;) The only thing bad about it is it can destroy your vacuum if you don't cut the sheds off the drum! We're on our second vacuum this year. Just, take care of your hair and yourself. Sheds happen. :)

ravenreed
February 20th, 2013, 02:13 PM
It's normal to have periods where you shed more than others. If you looked around my house, you would see a layer of shed hair on every carpet, and we vacuum every week! In fact, my hair has the ability to kill vacuums too. I am on the third one in seven years. I keep my hair up or in a braid most of the time; I don't know how it has time to fall out! Plus, we pull a rat sized lump of my hair out of the tub drain every couple of months... I sometimes wonder how I have any left on my head at all. Unless you notice actual thinning, you are probably well within normal shedding.

I guess 50 isn't much, but it doesn't include all the other hair I shed around the house too. Plus all the endless clumps when I wash my hair of course. I dunno, when the end of the day comes and I look around and all I see is shed hair everywhere I get a bit worried. Plus the SO's whining doesn't help...

arcane
February 20th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I wish if when I brushed my hair I only lost 50. I don't have the patience to count all of mine. My partner thought I was going through a shed again (I had a major one last year) but I told him no. My hair longer now so the same amount looks like more. He didnt get it till I held up a clump and it was only about 5 hairs. I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice some thinning or bald patches.

Falcore
February 20th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Totally fine. No need to worry in my opinion. :)

TheMechaGinger
February 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I brushed my hair the other day and pulled about 20 strands from my brush. I had a mini-heart attack! And then when I calmed down I realized 20 strands is actually nothing and I've lost way more than that before and been fine. I think it's just normal to freak out about losing any amount of hair

katiebeans
February 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm always freaking out about how muc hair I am losing! I will pull it out of my brush or comb and run and ask my mother or sister if that's how much they lose, lol. According to them I am okay. I'm thinking about counting the hairs next time though to see if they're above or below 50 :o

dwell_in_safety
February 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM
That's not too much to shed at all. :) The longer your hair gets, the more it will SEEM like, though. It's not till my hair is about waist length that my hair will start to cut off circulation to my toes via getting wrapped up in my socks and to destroy vacuums. I don't shed any more at that length, though.

Alexblue
February 21st, 2013, 04:49 AM
I believe people typically shed 40-120 hairs a day so you're actually on the low end. Plus dwell_in_safety is right, it always looks like a lot with long hair :-)

Ruzovy
February 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thank you all so much really! I am now in the process of slowwwly explaining to the SO that it only looks like it's a lot because it's longer now (and besides, he loses a lot more hair than me from what I can tell. it's just short =P)

I'd said earlier it seemed like a lot because I actually went to the trouble of aligning the hairs I collected and smoothed them together into a small lock of sorts, so I was like "I'm losing a tiny lock A DAY???" and thus freaked out :)

littlestarface
February 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yah I freak out too everyday,,I always cry to my hair "why cant you stay in":cry: imagine how much hair I would have if I didnt shed....:inlove:. I have to vacuum everyday my hair is too much and its black so its very noticable in the kitchen floors bathroom and carpets and my bed:p

woolyleprechaun
February 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Thats fine :) I think 50-100 is healthy and normal (a day, that is!) When I brush my hair, I pull out a handfull of hair from my brush every time. When I shampoo, I have to stop half way through to clear the plug.... I have waist length, fairly thick hair and shedding has stablised at that rate since I got over my post natal shed. I lose much more when I scalp massage with oil, and lose much less when I use rooibos on my scalp. All in all, it sort of evens out :)

jacqueline101
February 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM
Fifty is normal.