PDA

View Full Version : Disaster - sacrifice hair length, or hair health?

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:09 AM
So, this week I succumbed to the hair dye lure.

Normally I dye my roots maybe 4 times a year, if that. Anyway, I had to take care of them...

It almost always comes out fine, if a little dark, but it fades. I decided to use a different dye this time because I couldn't find my usual.

Big mistake.

My hair..... my hair is a mess. My scalp hurts, too!

Basically the ends of my hair are the darkest black, my mid-length is medium brown but FULL of bright red & auburn tones, the roots/top is a very light auburn.

It's hideous. Absolutely hideous.

The problem is that I don't know if I can fix this myself, and I won't lie - I'm scared of going to the salon to fix this.

I keep envisioning the combing, the brushing, the pulling, all on wet hair.... then the blowfrying with the brushing! Argh! So rough... :(

Not to mention all the corrective color processes they'll have to do. I just keep seeing myself coming out of the salon with hair in a horrific condition, when I have spent so long taking great care of it (besides the dye) and I'm sooooooo close to waist!

So, I've been thinking. My hair feels horrific. I don't know how to fix it. Do I try to fix it on my own? Do I give my hair up to the salon (along with a massive chunk of cash)? Do I get inches cut off to get rid of the black?

I have no idea what to do. There might be an easier solution, but I can't see it because I'm kinda freaking out...

Any ideas? I already have honey + oil on the ends since I'm trying to pull out some of the darkest dye parts. Everything is just so... red..... :(

Ocelan
February 20th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Is it so horrific that you can't even think of having it in your hair more than a few days? If you can stand it, then I suggest you let the color even out a little for two-three weeks. It might end up looking fine and during that you might be able to lighten it with the honey + oil treatments and get it into better condition by babying it. Doing lots of SMT's, CO washing if you can or atleast having your conditioner on for long can help lift the color. Also there are threads about vitamin C lightening with it mixed in shampoo or conditioner. Your hair is obviously recovering from a pretty harsh treatment so I wouldn't do anything as harsh as color correction just yet unless absolutely necessary.

kaydana
February 20th, 2013, 07:26 AM
:grouphug: Red fades pretty quickly, so don't panic just yet.

Vitamin C can work wonders for removing hair colour without causing too much damage, so that's worth a shot.

What's your natural colour and what colour were you aiming for?

Fairlight63
February 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I think that I would: condition, condition, condition it - oil it and put it up in a bun & forget about it. It would be even harder on your hair right now to put more color on it, it may even break off.

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Is it so horrific that you can't even think of having it in your hair more than a few days? If you can stand it, then I suggest you let the color even out a little for two-three weeks. It might end up looking fine and during that you might be able to lighten it with the honey + oil treatments and get it into better condition by babying it. Doing lots of SMT's, CO washing if you can or atleast having your conditioner on for long can help lift the color. Also there are threads about vitamin C lightening with it mixed in shampoo or conditioner. Your hair is obviously recovering from a pretty harsh treatment so I wouldn't do anything as harsh as color correction just yet unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah, it's actually really bad. Even if the red or black fades at the bottom half, I think it's going to stay on the roots. I CO wash normally & did an SMT last night, I'll continue the conditioning & baby it. :)

Bagginslover
February 20th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Where are you? (Albion....but there are many in different countries ;) )
Get some colour remover. ColourB4 in the UK is great, I've used the super strength version several times in a row with no ill effects. Color Ooops States-side is the same stuff I believe. It really does work, and though it feels terribly drying whilst its on, as soon as you apply the final little bottle of liquid (can't remember what they call it) its feels wonderfully soft again.

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM
:grouphug: Red fades pretty quickly, so don't panic just yet.

Vitamin C can work wonders for removing hair colour without causing too much damage, so that's worth a shot.

What's your natural colour and what colour were you aiming for?

My hair seems to cling to red like crazy, I'll have a look around for some Vit C, thanks!

My natural colour is a light-med brown, with lots of golden tones. It seems to come through lighter and lighter every year.. :o

I was aiming for a basic dark brown, red tones make me look sick, which is why I'm desperate for it to go away. :lol:

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I think that I would: condition, condition, condition it - oil it and put it up in a bun & forget about it. It would be even harder on your hair right now to put more color on it, it may even break off.

You're right. I'm just panicking. I've been stressed lately and wanted to do something for myself. I'll continue conditioning & babying it. :)

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Where are you? (Albion....but there are many in different countries ;) )
Get some colour remover. ColourB4 in the UK is great, I've used the super strength version several times in a row with no ill effects. Color Ooops States-side is the same stuff I believe. It really does work, and though it feels terribly drying whilst its on, as soon as you apply the final little bottle of liquid (can't remember what they call it) its feels wonderfully soft again.

I am in the UK, yay! Thank you, I'll have a look at that. :)

SleepyTangles
February 20th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I'm not expert in this field, but if the lightening techniques and the colourB4 need some time... what about an harmless deposit dye (a dark brown with auburn tones similar to the middle of your mane, for example), to cope a bit longer with the colour difference and/or mask it for "occasions"?

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I'm not expert in this field, but if the lightening techniques and the colourB4 need some time... what about an harmless deposit dye (a dark brown with auburn tones similar to the middle of your mane, for example), to cope a bit longer with the colour difference and/or mask it for "occasions"?

That's possible, I think if the colour was more uniform I could deal with it better & leave it be. :)

maborosi
February 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Hey I know this feeling. :( It's going to be okay! LHC is here to help! :D

You might want to try something like Vitamin C treatments to help strip some of the color out, or use a strong shampoo. Do it as soon as you can- the sooner you start, the better. I know that strong shampoos are not recommended here because of their ingredients, but they will take some of the color out. I actually use a very strong clarifying shampoo when my henna goes too dark- it helps to fade it quickly and you know how difficult henna can be. :P

Make sure also that you're conditioning your hair and doing deep treatments- when you're getting the color out, you're going to probably cause your hair to be dry- but conditioning treatments can help you! You might wind up trimming off some of the damaged ends, but as long as you're taking care of your hair while stripping it, you shouldn't be in too much trouble. Just condition, condition, condition!

Good luck to you- please let us know how it works out :blossom:

~maborosi~

arcane
February 20th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Definetly get the colour remover. It's drying but worth it. When you do use it rinse it really really well, for at least ten minutes. Some people need to rinse longer. It may take a few times to get it all out. Also I reconmend on not redying it right away as if any of the colour molecules are left they can re darken the hair.

I used colour oops 3 times in a row once. While my hair felt dry after one deep condition it felt better and after 3 it was better than before I stripped the colour.

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM
What kind of hair dye did you use? That is just terrible.

I have had results just like this before buying cheap permanent dye. Bad idea.

I am not sure what you did...but that is why I always like to recommend people using demi permanent dye..and going to a supply store and getting a tube of color and 10 vol developer.

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 11:19 AM
What kind of hair dye did you use? That is just terrible.

I have had results just like this before buying cheap permanent dye. Bad idea.

I am not sure what you did...but that is why I always like to recommend people using demi permanent dye..and going to a supply store and getting a tube of color and 10 vol developer.

I used Goldwell Topchic, but I used a 20v... Could that have been the issue? :(

I just went over my roots again with a straight 5MB (ash/jade brown) in hopes that it will cool down the red a bit until I can get out and pick up vit c/color oops.

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hey I know this feeling. :( It's going to be okay! LHC is here to help! :D

You might want to try something like Vitamin C treatments to help strip some of the color out, or use a strong shampoo. Do it as soon as you can- the sooner you start, the better. I know that strong shampoos are not recommended here because of their ingredients, but they will take some of the color out. I actually use a very strong clarifying shampoo when my henna goes too dark- it helps to fade it quickly and you know how difficult henna can be. :P

Make sure also that you're conditioning your hair and doing deep treatments- when you're getting the color out, you're going to probably cause your hair to be dry- but conditioning treatments can help you! You might wind up trimming off some of the damaged ends, but as long as you're taking care of your hair while stripping it, you shouldn't be in too much trouble. Just condition, condition, condition!

Good luck to you- please let us know how it works out :blossom:

~maborosi~

Thank you, I'm going to deep condition it again tonight & look around for the vit c tomorrow. :)

millyaulait
February 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Definetly get the colour remover. It's drying but worth it. When you do use it rinse it really really well, for at least ten minutes. Some people need to rinse longer. It may take a few times to get it all out. Also I reconmend on not redying it right away as if any of the colour molecules are left they can re darken the hair.

I used colour oops 3 times in a row once. While my hair felt dry after one deep condition it felt better and after 3 it was better than before I stripped the colour.

I've put it on my shopping list, thank you. :)

10000days
February 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I agree with using colour remover. It works and I don't think it damaged my hair. I wouldn't go to a salon because they'll bleach it out (BAD BAD NEWS).

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I used Goldwell Topchic, but I used a 20v... Could that have been the issue? :(

I just went over my roots again with a straight 5MB (ash/jade brown) in hopes that it will cool down the red a bit until I can get out and pick up vit c/color oops.

Well if the color was permanent color, then it was okay to use 20 vol.

If you used demi though, there is no reason to use 20 vol and it may or may not have caused this issue. I have had to do this before...I diluted the developer with water (you can't dilute it with conditioner. It won't work.)
Hopefully the color you used now is working.
Let us know how it went!

If you used permanent color though, color oops will not bring you back to your natural ever.

And a word from the wise (only because I have made this mistake)...Do not use ANY hair dye what--so--ever. After using color oops for at least a week.

two_wheels
February 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
If you're going to use colour b4, don't straighten your hair between now and then- if the dye contains silicones then straighteners can weld it to your hair and then colour b4 won't work... it does say this in the colour b4 instructions but it's usually too late by the time you get to that bit! I didn't find it horribly damaging. If you want a cheaper option, Jo Baz from Savers chemists is supposed to be the same.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Id oil condition your hair put it in a bun and practice benign neglect.

Iolanthe13
February 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Just for the ends, I'd recommend soaking them thoroughly in coconut oil and then washing it out with dish soap. This saved me when my hair went dark brown instead of light auburn once from a box dye. If your scalp is at all sensitive, don't let the dish soap touch it. It made my head really itchy for a while!

Anje
February 22nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Generally, I'd start with pampering the hair, and when it starts feeling a little normal again, then you can try pulling out the color. "Too much too soon" is generally when you begin to generate horror stories for the rest of us.

For me, SMTs are the way to go for over-dried hair. I tend to do them with corn syrup rather than honey because it's dirt cheap here in the US, works great, and won't lighten. They'll take me from dry, fly-away, and tangly to supple, silky, and reflective in a single treatment. If your hair feels brittle, stretchy, or usually likes protein, protein treatments are also probably in order after dyeing.

Once things are more normal-feeling, a color remover like ColourB4 or Color Oops is definitely a good first line of offense against the bad color, as others have previously stated.

Tabitha
February 22nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Milly, it's so effing cold in the UK at the moment, you can easily get away with wearing a hat or scarf to cover up, noone will bat an eyelid!

Bagginslover
February 23rd, 2013, 03:39 AM
Well if the color was permanent color, then it was okay to use 20 vol.

If you used demi though, there is no reason to use 20 vol and it may or may not have caused this issue. I have had to do this before...I diluted the developer with water (you can't dilute it with conditioner. It won't work.)
Hopefully the color you used now is working.
Let us know how it went!

If you used permanent color though, color oops will not bring you back to your natural ever.

And a word from the wise (only because I have made this mistake)...Do not use ANY hair dye what--so--ever. After using color oops for at least a week.

Bolding mine- not true, I used permament dye, and it came right back out ;) It even says on the box that it removes permanent dyes.

If you're going to use colour b4, don't straighten your hair between now and then- if the dye contains silicones then straighteners can weld it to your hair and then colour b4 won't work... it does say this in the colour b4 instructions but it's usually too late by the time you get to that bit! I didn't find it horribly damaging. If you want a cheaper option, Jo Baz from Savers chemists is supposed to be the same.

Bolding mine again - not totally true ;) It does say this on the box, but again, I used heat tools on my permanemt dye, and it came back out again fine ;) I wouldn't say its safe to do so, as all dyes will be different, and I might not have used high enough heat etc, but its certainly worth a try, even if you have already used heat-just don't do it again now, just in case ;)

Yeah, I pretty much did all the things you shouldn't before using colourb4 on my hair, I didn't know any better then, and it still worked. This stuff can remove HENNA, the supposedly irremoveable dye, so a little box dye is nothing ;)

two_wheels
February 23rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Yay, good for you- glad it worked!
edit: oh.... just realised you're not OP... well I'm still glad it worked bagginslover :D

millyaulait
February 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! :flower:

I put an ash dye over my roots, and the red is almost covered but it looks much more uniform now.

I couldn't find any color oops in store, but I'm glad I went for the dye instead because it was bumming me out. I think I just panicked a lot.

I am doing a deep treatment right now.I don't have any split ends from this ordeal, but I don't know about any breakage or excess shedding....

akilina
February 23rd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Bolding mine- not true, I used permament dye, and it came right back out ;) It even says on the box that it removes permanent dyes.

Bolding mine again - not totally true ;) It does say this on the box, but again, I used heat tools on my permanemt dye, and it came back out again fine ;) I wouldn't say its safe to do so, as all dyes will be different, and I might not have used high enough heat etc, but its certainly worth a try, even if you have already used heat-just don't do it again now, just in case ;)

Yeah, I pretty much did all the things you shouldn't before using colourb4 on my hair, I didn't know any better then, and it still worked. This stuff can remove HENNA, the supposedly irremoveable dye, so a little box dye is nothing ;)

Im sorry but no.

Permanent color LIFTS color out of your hair and then it DEPOSITS color back in.

Yes, color oops will take color out however....When your natural hair color is LIFTED first, your natural hair color is NOT there anymore to go back to.

Say what you like, and I am not trying to sound snarky at all but I spent 1800 hours of my life having this drilled into my head. I know what I am talking about.

Bagginslover
February 25th, 2013, 02:26 AM
All I can tell you is my own experience. My avatar photo is my natural colour, AFTER removing permanent dye, it is exactly the same as before I coloured it. I can't tell you more than that. I dyed it to the darkest brown, then pulled it back out to what you see there. *shrugs* maybe I was lucky, maybe I wasn't, but I do know that it does say on the box that it will remove a permanet dye.