PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure pony tail thickness?

infinity_girl
February 19th, 2013, 02:49 AM
How do people measure ponytail thickness? Is it when it is hanging down and tied with a hair tie, measured by the hair above the tie or is it tied up on top of the head and measured closest to the head?

My ponytail (when measured down) is 2.5" is this considered thin? When measured piled on top of my head it is 3". I am worried my hair is thinning.

minxe
February 19th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I do tied up on top of the head and measured closest to the head. That way I get all of my hair in the ponytail.

QMacrocarpa
February 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I suppose it depends on whether you have bangs or short layers you want to include in your measurement. I don't have bangs or layers, and my hair doesn't like big changes of direction from the roots, so I measure my ponytail at my nape. I think it's fine to measure it the other way if you prefer.

If you want to know if your thickness is changing, you might mark your calendar to measure your ponytail a few times per year (in the same way each time as far as how much hair is included in the ponytail) and see if the measurement changes over time.

The last time I measured, the measurement confirmed what I already knew, that I had lost a lot of hair during a big fall shed, more specifically about 1/4 of my volume. I don't yet know if that's my new normal or if I'm going to have significant regrowth (even if I do, thinner is going to be my new normal for many months). I opt not to worry about it much, as I don't know of anything useful to do about it. Growing my hair longer is a process of adapting to change by learning new styles as I outgrow old ones. Having thinner hair is just another change for me to adapt to. I keep calm and bring out the smaller hair-toys. :cool:

silverthread
February 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
A 3"-inch pony is a solid ii (medium). That's not considered thin. In fact, your hair looks like a nice, manageable volume.

Thin is relative, though, and depends upon how big around your pony has been in the past. Are you taking any new medications that cause hair loss? Have you changed your diet? Are you eating enough protein? Are you careful when handling your hair? Are there any new stressors in your life?

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I measure mine in a pony tail.

akilina
February 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
A 3"-inch pony is a solid ii (medium). That's not considered thin. In fact, your hair looks like a nice, manageable volume.

Thin is relative, though, and depends upon how big around your pony has been in the past. Are you taking any new medications that cause hair loss? Have you changed your diet? Are you eating enough protein? Are you careful when handling your hair? Are there any new stressors in your life?

Well that makes me happy :) My length is thin due to layers, but if I put a pony tail on the top of my head and get as much hair as possible, I have 3". I think I have lost 1/8" or 1/4" though. It seems to go up and down around that area.

MaryMarx
February 23rd, 2013, 01:42 AM
I read somewhere in a description that you should measure where you get the thickest ponytail... so that's what I do.
If I would measure a neck based pony I would get like 1 inch since my hair tapers a lot.
On top of my head I get 3... is that cheating? :(

Pierre
February 23rd, 2013, 02:04 AM
Then measure on top of your head. Or make two ponytails, each one high up on its side of the head, measure both, and apply the Pythagorean theorem. I usually wear two braids, so that's how I'd do it.

I wrap the measuring tape around the ponytail, grab the non-end with my thumbnail at the end of the aglet, and take it off. It's been a long time since I've measured it.

auburntressed
February 23rd, 2013, 02:10 AM
I read somewhere in a description that you should measure where you get the thickest ponytail... so that's what I do.
If I would measure a neck based pony I would get like 1 inch since my hair tapers a lot.
On top of my head I get 3... is that cheating? :(No, that's not cheating. I believe that it is standard to measure your hair at it's thickest point, so you are doing it right. :)

I have a lot of taper, too. :( So I understand that frustration.

Mesmerise
February 23rd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Hmm I usually measure mine at the nape... maybe next time I will try a higher one and see if it makes a difference??

MaryMarx
February 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
No, that's not cheating. I believe that it is standard to measure your hair at it's thickest point, so you are doing it right. :)

I have a lot of taper, too. :( So I understand that frustration.

Great! :D
Let's just hope the thickness will travel down, in time. :)