PDA

View Full Version : Am I just expecting too much of my hair?

MaryO
February 18th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I previously started a thread on this forum about a tangle that I get when my hair is wet. Now I am just starting to wonder whether hair is just not a fan of water in general? Every time I wash my hair it feels like grass and then when it dries it's all soft and nice. I CWC and sometimes put a bit of oil in when my hair needs it. So am I just expecting too much from my hair- is it ok if my hair is horrible when wet and nice when dry? Does this happen to everyone? (Somehow I believe that ALL the people on this forum have awesome hair that isn't giving them problems when wet...)

Siiri
February 18th, 2013, 03:01 AM
My hair always feels coarser while it's drying and then soft when it's dried. Someone posted this article here or in another forum which may explain it: http://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/research/chemistry/161976615.html

So too much moisture while the hair is drying would make it feel coarse, and once it's dried and has lower moisture content, it should feel better

eta: From the article: "An explanation for these findings likely returns to the ability for water to induce swelling of the hair fibers, where higher water content produces increased swelling, slight uplifting of the cuticle scales, and a rougher feel."

Mesmerise
February 18th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Welllll... my hair is MUCH nicer wet when dry! I envy you for your predicament ;) I'd be quite happy for horrid wet and lovely dry hair :). Mine, when wet, hardly tangles at all, even when I've only washed in Dr Bronner's and rinsed with ACV (if I use S&C knots don't get a chance to form). When it dries it's... blech... it has random wave patterns, it frizzes... it's just... blech.

Kwantslonghair
February 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Mine looks like crap when it is drying. It looks frizzy with all these little hairs going ever which way and it looks like it is 40 different colors. Once it is dry a couple hours then it looks ok.

jacqueline101
February 18th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Mine looks the same.

jeanniet
February 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Are you trying to comb through your hair when wet? If it causes you problems, just wait until it's dry. My hair is a mess when it's wet, so I try not to touch it at all until it's dry. If I have to go out, I put it up and then let it down again when I'm home. It's just too hard to try to detangle when it's wet (I don't detangle in the shower anymore because I shed way more that way), but usually pretty easy once it's dry.

rowie
February 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
You are not alone in this MaryO. I have lots of issues with my hair. I do agree that if you do comb your hair wet then it could cause problems. I know it did for me because at first I thought I was doing good by letting the running water along with my comb detangle my hair. But then I started to notice breakage mixed in with new growth when my hair dried. So I stopped combing my hair wet and use finger combing technique in a very gentle way.

Sharysa
February 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
is it ok if my hair is horrible when wet and nice when dry? Does this happen to everyone? (Somehow I believe that ALL the people on this forum have awesome hair that isn't giving them problems when wet...)

My hair turns into a snarly bird's nest when wet. I always comb it out before my shower, but the minute I soak it in water, it snarls like whoa. Even conditioner doesn't solve all of the problem, and the only way I can get a comb through it comfortably is after my shower, when I oil it thoroughly from scalp to ends.

Calaelen
February 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Oh! Great question, I've not seen it discussed here. My hair is a nightmare when wet. I have fine hair that stretches like mad when it is wet. It's like elastic bands, and the sound when hair get snagged and snaps is awful! It takes forever to dry, and just doesn't look full, soft and pretty in that state, at all. Maybe that is why I stretch my washes as long as I possibly can..lol!

You're not alone!

spidermom
February 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I have to comb my hair when it's wet - difficult as that is - because if it dries with snarls, I end up with all these scrunched up ends that grab onto each other and knot up like crazy. My hair has become this unpleasant frizzled frazzled mess. I think I hate it - wet or dry.

QMacrocarpa
February 18th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't like my hair much when it's wet either. Like Calaelen, that's likely a factor in my fairly sparse wash-schedule (now at about 1.5 weeks between washes). I've tried waiting for it to dry before combing, but I feel like the tangles get kind of "dried-in" and harder to winkle out when I do that, so I usually gently comb it while it's damp.

MaryO
February 19th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I have combed my hair when wet but I'm am very paranoid about it so I try to get the worst tangles out with my fingers so that they don't dry like that cause otherwise it looks like I put my finger in an electric outlet! :rolleyes: Seems I'll just have to live with it... (Could have been worse I suppose!)

Thanks for the interesting article link Siiri! :-)

Zesty
February 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Yes, I am the same way. My hair looks and feels awful when it's wet or drying, and is smooth and nice when it's fully dry. Just keep calm and stretch washes. :)

anitacs9101
February 21st, 2013, 12:23 AM
My hair isn't the most cooperative wet :P It's a huge pain to comb out but if I just let it dry, unless I'm not moving at all or something, I get giant mats. Do you comb after washing? I detangle often when it's wet until it's dry to avoid mats and so it dries straighter. I used to not do this because I'm a huge baby when it comes to detangling and wet hair was the worst, but the end result is worth it to me.

Seeshami
February 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
His name is The Naughty Mess for a reason.

The Naughty Mess says, "To strike fear into the hearts of millions!"

Suuuuure. :rolleyes:

The Naughty Mess says, "DON'T roll your eyes at me in that tone of face!"

He never behaves, but I have learned to deal with it. I stop expecting long perfect beautiful hair and I just expect it to eat, fling and destroy hair taming objects and be a naughty mess and now we're both happy.

spirals
February 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM
The only difference I notice is that when it's wet there are no curls, just lank 2a waves. It feels....wet. When it's finally dry on wash day it is bouncy and feels moisturized. The next day however, is when it starts to feel drier and rougher. But curlies are just different.

MORE
February 21st, 2013, 05:34 AM
Mine is exactly the same! For me it's just a matter of a little :meditate: while it dries. Once dry everything's hunky-dory again.

I know my hair reacts very badly to chemicals, and, well, water's one... I always stretch washes as much as possible because of this.

pixietail
February 21st, 2013, 07:26 AM
My hair is a little rougher when wet too. What I do is detangle before washing, then finger-detangle again while I'm rinsing out the conditioner. I don't touch it again after that until it's mostly dried, at which point I add a couple of drops of oil. I don't know if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.