PDA

View Full Version : Hair conditioner and body lotion in one product

DarleneH
February 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a product that works well as a hair conditioner and a body lotion? I have used hair conditioner as body lotion in a pinch, but I was considering just doing that all the time if there's a product that works particularly well for that.

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
You can try natural oils. I know for my hair extra virgin coconut oil used to be my conditioner when I was exploring water only method. I would use the coconut oil as my conditioner, and i'd use it as a facial lotion to moisturize dry skin. I think you can also try jojoba oil, olive oils, and endless ways to use it with essential oils for added scents.

MegaMystery
February 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Not really as a conditioner, but I've found that Lemony Flutter (the cuticle cream) from Lush works quite well as a serum for my hair as well as for my elbows and other rough pieces of skin. It's a little too expensive to put all over my body though..

lydiajo
February 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything commercially made. You may have to make your own with ingredients that are good for both. I use coconut and olive oil on both but they really aren't conditioners. I'll be interested in what everyone else has to say.

katiebeans
February 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM
You can try natural oils. I know for my hair extra virgin coconut oil used to be my conditioner when I was exploring water only method. I would use the coconut oil as my conditioner, and i'd use it as a facial lotion to moisturize dry skin. I think you can also try jojoba oil, olive oils, and endless ways to use it with essential oils for added scents.

I second natural oils.

When I was using my 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, I would buy a huge bottle and use it also as body wash and shaving cream :p But I haven't ever seen a conditioner/lotion product. However a quick Google search yields a lot of results that support using conditioner as lotion. I didn't see much for long-term usage though.

rock007junkie
February 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM
If you look at the ingredients to both body lotions and conditioners/leave-in conditioners....they are very similar. I'm sure you can make any given item multi-purpose. Especially those conditioners that are thicker in consistency

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I second the extra virgin coconut oil along with other natural oils/butters. In the past I used straight coconut oil on my ends before each CO wash, then reapply a very small amount on the ends only to soaking wet hair right out of the shower. Right now I am using a DIY mix of coconut oil/shea butter/cocoa butter/glycerin, and whatever else I decide to throw in when I mix it up, usually changes with each batch. I also use this on my skin, it is particularly good on dry areas such as heels and elbows. Has a nice light fragrence as well, if strong fragrences bother you. But coconut oil can be a great place to start, and can be found at the grocery store.
I don't know what the texture of your hair is but my hair is fine and it does not seem to weigh my hair down, but it is the middle of winter, so this routine may not work as well in the summer. YMMV

As others have said there is a lot of info on the web, and it is easy to experiment to see what works for you. I have found these homemade products more effective then many expensive lotions and conditioners I have used in the past at a fraction of the price.

ETA: You can keep this as simple as you want, you don't have to turn into a mad scientist unless you really want to. For the longest time I just used straight coconut oil with great results and only recently branched out to experimenting with other ingredients. It's sort of become a hobby. :)

McFearless
February 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
worldPROTECT has a hair and skin moisturizer. Though I'm not sure of its popularity, the ingredients are: Aqua, caprylic/capric triglycerides (coconut/palm oil), olea europeae (olive) fruit oil, vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, emulsifying wax, cetyl alchohol, glyceryl stearate, beeswax, castor isostearate succinate, Rosa eglentaria (rosehip) oil, dimethicone copolyolamine, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice, phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, Sambucus nigra (elderflower) juice, arctium majus (burdock) root extract, Calendula officinalis (calendula) flower, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Taraxacum officiniale (dandelion) leaf extracts, Tocopherol (vitamin E), retinal palmitate (vitamin A), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), ergocalciferol (vitamin D), lactic acid, allantoin

starlamelissa
February 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Cure care at Sally's can be used as a lotion and conditioner.

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
This is really interesting. I had no idea this existed.
However, I don't feel the need to cut that many corners in my routine, and enjoy having two different products for these kinds of things.

Chlorophylliac
February 18th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Reviving.
I'm still super happy herbal essences brought back my hg shampoo and conditioner from highshool, but I don't use a lot of those ingredients on my hair anymore. So, I'm thinking of maybe using the shampoo as a once-in-a-while clarifier and the condish as a shower lotion that gets rinsed off. Tried it for the first time today....

evameganetron
February 18th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Any thoughts on Rosehip Oil? I use it for my skin, and I started using it on my hair.

Would love to know others thoughts about it :)

Hairkay
February 19th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I second natural oils.

When I was using my 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, I would buy a huge bottle and use it also as body wash and shaving cream :p But I haven't ever seen a conditioner/lotion product. However a quick Google search yields a lot of results that support using conditioner as lotion. I didn't see much for long-term usage though.

Me too.

I've had times when I've soaked in bath with some coconut oil/olive oil/almond oil and I'd drunk my head in there too so I'm be sorted from head to foot. Just be careful getting out of the tub because oils make the it slippery. Also get some dish-washing liquid to clean up the bathtub as it gets out all that oil.

meteor
February 19th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Any thoughts on Rosehip Oil? I use it for my skin, and I started using it on my hair.

Would love to know others thoughts about it :)

It's a great, well-researched oil with excellent skin benefits. :D
But for hair, I'd be slightly concerned with its drying capacity. Rosehip oil, with its iodine value of 188, is a drying oil, which means it can polymerize and form a hard film, become resinous when exposed to oxygen for a long time (i.e. sitting on hair as a leave-in). If you don't wash and clarify hair too often, just be careful not to use too much of this oil. I overloaded on drying oils in the past, and it made my hair kind of coated/crunchy: it took a bit of time to completely come off even with clarifying shampoos.
More on drying capacity of oils: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html
You can check iodine values of oils here: http://soapcalc.net/calc/OilList.asp (oils with iodine values of 130-190 or higher can be considered "drying")

-Fern
February 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM
I haven't tried it as dual-purpose, just kicking around an idea... but what about shea butter? Mix with a smidge of coconut oil to seal in moisture. Apply to damp skin after showering or mostly-dry hair.

meteor
February 19th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I haven't tried it as dual-purpose, just kicking around an idea... but what about shea butter? Mix with a smidge of coconut oil to seal in moisture. Apply to damp skin after showering or mostly-dry hair.

I do that! :agree:
Shea butter and coconut oil are some of those products that both my skin and hair love. Oils are generally very easy to multi-purpose. ;)

yahirwaO.o
February 19th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Well yeah most natural oils are multifunctional really. Just to add, I have used regular body lotion to tame frizz, works really well!!!

CurlyCap
February 19th, 2015, 09:31 PM
AO HSR? Mostly oil with water and a conditioning agent...

MINAKO
February 19th, 2015, 11:09 PM
*jumps off the minimalist train any chance she gets*

i personally have way to many different conditioners with different properties to be able to combine that all in a single product.
also i insist on having hella strong sunblock in my body lotions, so i use babyoil in the shower and then a small amount of lotion afterwards. i think theres a reason why these two products come seperately in on the shelves, at least i cant imagine anything that would meet the needs of my hair and my skin fully at the same time.

butter52
February 20th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Ive used conditioner as body conditioners many times and it works fine. I have used them as rinse outs though.
I have also used body lotion as leave in condtioner for frizzy hair days or if I dont have conditioner, works fine.

The cosmetic industry tells us all the time how many different products we need to live but when you actually look at the formulas, they are usually just the same.

Arien
February 20th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Davines do a really good product called "Authentic Moisturising Balm" which is a multitasking product for face, body or hair. I have used it as a conditioner, a facial cleansing balm and a moisturiser on my legs etc before & I really loved it. It does a fantastic job at all of these. You just use it like your normal conditioner, after you have washed your hair or whatever you usually do. For body moisturising purposes it says to use it like one of these new wash off body lotions that seem to be the latest craze. Put it on before you shower for a few mins and then just wash it off. I have however also just slathered it on and left it. I found it particularly good for the dry skin on my hands. It's a bit on the pricey side though...

betterhairday
February 20th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Is there such a thing as a product that works well as a hair conditioner and a body lotion? I have used hair conditioner as body lotion in a pinch, but I was considering just doing that all the time if there's a product that works particularly well for that.

Been seriously thinking about this. Currently my face moisturizer is Monsia Skincare, product ingredients include shea butter & jojoba oil, both of which my skin loves. For my hair I use Pro Naturals and the product includes argania spinosa kernal oil or argan oil which I also use everynight on/around eyes & neck and once a week on my body, hands and feet. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the two could be combined???

Anje
February 20th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Reviving.
I'm still super happy herbal essences brought back my hg shampoo and conditioner from highshool, but I don't use a lot of those ingredients on my hair anymore. So, I'm thinking of maybe using the shampoo as a once-in-a-while clarifier and the condish as a shower lotion that gets rinsed off. Tried it for the first time today....
Makes sense to me. I often use cheap conditioner as a shaving lubricant, for example. It does seem pretty moisturizing... maybe I should just slather it on the dry spots in the shower for a few days and see what happens!