PDA

View Full Version : Beer for hair growth - Official Thread

DancingQueen
February 17th, 2013, 01:37 AM
We have all sorts of threads for hair growth, but I couldn't find one for beer. So this is the thread to discuss wether or not beer can actually make your hair grow longer, and anything that have to do with beer and hair actually.

So, I have heard about using beer to make the hair more soft and shiny, although I have yet to try it. But is it possible it could actually grow your hair as well? Think about it; beer contains scillica, which makes the hair grow thicker.

Now, I am not suggesting that we drink 15 beers per day, lol. I actually don't really like beer that much. But is it possible there is something to it? I can't afford to drink it every day, as I am on a rather tight budget for now. But maybe I will do a beer treatment on my hair, to see how shiny it will get. I will keep you posted when I do. :)

Have you tried it before? Was it good or bad? What brand of beer worked best for you?

Let the experimenting begin! :beerchug:

Ocelan
February 17th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I've actually tried a beer rinse once, though I didn't have very much beer (I used leftovers) so I diluted it. I guess it made my hair slightly more shiny but I felt my hair also got greasier faster than usual. Since I've only tried it once so far I can't say for sure it was the beer's fault.

In fact my BF just found an almost full can of beer on the counter yesterday that he for some reason forgot to drink on friday. So today I will use that as a final rinse. I might add a bit of vinegar in it though as I'm a vinegar rinser. Also I don't think I can stand the beer smell in my hair long afterwards so after leaving the beer on for a bit I think I'll rinse it off. Atleast the beer can has been open long enough for the beer to be completely flat by now. :)

Magalo
February 17th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I take brewer yeast, does that count? It makes ALL my body hair grow twice as fast, so I can only assume it does the same for my mane!

Kyaatje
February 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I know that brewers yeast supposed to be good for hair and nails (in our family we give it to our cats and dogs aswell for their fur ! )
I remember my mom doing a beer rinse on me when I was a kid, but it was more like a treatment, as in she put it on my hair and left it for a while and then rinsed everything out again. This is so long ago that I don't remember what it actually did for my hair. It didn't happen a lot, I think my mom tried to get my hair easier to manage because at 5 or 6 my hair was cut short (making everybody think I was a boy ! )

Neneka
February 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I have once read that beer contains a lot of silicon (Si) that is good for hair, nails and bones. And beer rinse makes my hair really shiny. :)

katiebeans
February 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I actually enjoy a good beer or two, so that'd be great if there is something to this silicon thing :D I have wanted to try a beer rinse for a while, but I would want to find a light enough one because I am worried it might stain my blonde hair.

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2013, 08:33 AM
We lost a couple of beers to a "yeah, let's get the beer cold fast in the freezer" (and then forget about it!!!) incident. So those are up for grabs, they popped their caps and are now flat. Sad, really. Those might be good to try. I've used beer before as a rinse but not going to try it regularly for growth topically. Now, the brewer's yeast, taking that is an interesting idea.

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM
We lost a couple of beers to a "yeah, let's get the beer cold fast in the freezer" (and then forget about it!!!) incident. So those are up for grabs, they popped their caps and are now flat. Sad, really. Those might be good to try. I've used beer before as a rinse but not going to try it regularly for growth topically. Now, the brewer's yeast, taking that is an interesting idea.

hmmm i'm wondering if there is a way to burn off alcohol like using the microwave to heat the beer up or something. I'd like to try this again cause it dried up my hair the last time I tried this.

Rosamaria
February 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I love a beer, or two :P, but I'm afraid that it doesn't make any difference to my hair growth. It grows half an inch a month regardless of whether I am having a beer or not. I've never tried it as a rinse though - could make one smell rather odd!

Neneka
February 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
At least drinking beer makes time go faster and then hair seems to grow faster too. :beerchug:

Melanie Marie
February 17th, 2013, 10:06 AM
If anything, a beer rinse would be what you want to do. I've never heard of it before, but it doesn't seen entirely strange to me. Since beer obviously contains alcohol, it seems like diluting it would be a good idea for pH purposes. But would that ruin the treatment?

Apparently, cooking crab in beer is really good...

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM
At least drinking beer makes time go faster and then hair seems to grow faster too. :beerchug:

I don't like the taste of beer so that's why I tried it on my hair. I'm more of a wine person, and for heavy drinks I like gin, cosmos and girly type drinks. Did you like beer the first time or was it something you built a taste for over time.

Neneka
February 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I don't like the taste of beer so that's why I tried it on my hair. I'm more of a wine person, and for heavy drinks I like gin, cosmos and girly type drinks. Did you like beer the first time or was it something you built a taste for over time.

Beer tasted horrible at first.. OMG... I don't even know why I kept drinking it but I built a taste for it after a while. Now I like the taste. I prefer beer over cider or wine nowadays. :)

rock007junkie
February 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I would love to experiment but beer is so good! It would seem like a waste pouring it on my hair.

ravenreed
February 17th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I occasionally do a beer rinse. I sometimes get a taste for beer and may open one but not finish it. So whatever doesn't get drunk goes in my hair. It does make my hair shiny, but I am not wild about the odor.

akilina
February 17th, 2013, 02:12 PM
The people I do know that drink 15 beers a day have HUGE hair growth. However, they are all related...So it just may be genetic. Their other sister who really does not drink has super fast hair growth too...Just as fast as them.

I am all for the beers. I love beer...It just was making me too bloated. I drink Coors light or Pabst mostly all of the time, both are lower in calories (coors light is 100 for a 12oz can and ONLY has 5g of carbs!) Its great, but it still made me look fatter...I seriously cut back to almost never drinking, and did not lose any weight..yet it definitely shaved off a TON of bloat.

I really don't think that beer can do magical things for hair...although I wish it would. I used to drink two 32oz beers a night. So that is like having 9 beers, and on my weekends I would drink more than that. Still...with the same ole measly 1/2 inch a month.

katiebeans
February 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM

This made me chuckle :grin:

browneyedsusan
February 18th, 2013, 08:29 AM

and counteracts the effects of all the coffee I drink every morning. --Maybe coffee in the morning and a beer in the evening? I think I'll start a scientific study.... :)

woolyleprechaun
February 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I've never heard of this before..... Even if it did help my growth, I think the negatives would out weigh the benefits for me. Beer and me just dont get on; I get bloated, gassy, belchy, grouchy... maybe not an experiment for me :)

furnival
February 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM
hmmm i'm wondering if there is a way to burn off alcohol like using the microwave to heat the beer up or something. I'd like to try this again cause it dried up my hair the last time I tried this.

Alcohol evaporates at about 70 degrees Centigrade. I'd suggest heating it in a pan- microwaving liquids can be dangerous if there are no solids in with them. Waste of beer, in my opinion. ;)

Oh and p.s. I drink lots of beer and my hair grows... Fast, medium or slow depending on the time of year. I really don't think we're ever going to find a magic substance that definitely makes everyone's hair grow faster.

Time, however, is universally acknowledged to make hair grow longer... And it's free, easy to apply, doesn't smell and isn't messy. :)