PDA

View Full Version : DD's dreaded dreadlocks

W2
February 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
My youngest daughter has very, VERY fine hair.

If she wears a hood or hat her hair tangles like crazy.
If I skip it a day or two, it forms dreads.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2660&d=1361046212

This is taken after a day in the snow, where she insisted on a fleece hood. Turned out to be a very bad idea.

I brush her hair with a Tangle Teezer. It's the only brush, that works.

My older daughter had similar problems, but it was a bit thicker and grew a lot faster, so I braided it in cornrows.

leslissocool
February 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Try a satin scarf or cap under the hood.

lapushka
February 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'd maybe try and ponytail her hair, possibly French braid it, or at least do a half-up. Leaving her hair loose is a disaster.

Natalia
February 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM
When i was young my parents used to separate the top portion of my hair and french braid it when i was doing active stuff. I was too young to remember it but they said my hair looked alot like that if the top wasnt contained. Pony's slid right out of my thin/fine hair back then so braiding worked best.

W2
February 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Right now, her hair is shorter than on the photo. Growing out a hack-job :(

Before, she let me do her hair ... which helped a lot. It's almost long enough again.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2675&d=1361116758

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2674&d=1361116758

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2672&d=1361116758

Kizuna
February 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Haha, oh this brings back memories for me. My hair was like that until I was 12 maybe. At the age of 10 I wanted to grow my hair long and at APL I had a huge dreaded mess at the back of my head. Not that I cared really, haha. :) But when puberty started my hair calmed down and became manageable. Those hairstyles you've posted looks really good for keeping the hair under control. :)

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Wow fabulous hair styles W2. I like the styles you posted and i'm even tempted to try them out on my own hair when i'm at home. hahaha :)

Mandie
February 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I definitely just cringed when I saw her hair all tangled up. I have a wig I wear for a costume that looks rather like that after an active weekend and it takes me HOURS to brush it out... and that's not on top of my head. D= I don't know if this would help her, but there's a spray called "motion's sheen" that is a bit oily and is meant to reduce the friction of the hair rubbing which would mean less tangling. I use it on the wig I mentioned and the tangles are way, way, less. It may be too heavy for her hair but it's only about $3/can and it smells like strawberries. I've tried it on my own hair before and it wasn't a greasy mess but I don't get a lot of tangles so I can't tell if it did its job or not.

elea
February 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM
scarf underneath hood: yes, i quadruple that
tied/braided etc: i do that (hopefully willfind pics in drive)

i also went to the length of just oiling my hair before i went down the slopes

all the best with the mum and little lady 5mins fun in the morning

ravenreed
February 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Before I went cone-free, I used a kid's detangling spray to deal with my chronically tangle-prone hair. It worked really well for my hair. Perhaps it might help your DD?

ETA: I have been planning to make myself a hood that is warm on the outside, but silk on the inside for just that reason. Normal hoods do terribly things to my hair, especially if I have my hair up in a bun.

W2
February 17th, 2013, 02:33 PM
She is just 6 years old, so it's not always, she let's me do anything with her hair ... and often my dos lasts very short, before she removes it.
I have found a detangle spray, that helps a lot.
That day, where it was unusually bad, I removed the nots with a needle. One not at the time. With a lot of detangler in it. It took me an hour!

SerinaDaith
February 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
My soon to be two year old will not let me keep her hair up at all. I think the poor girl got mommies tender head. We use detangle spray often and I have even put coconut oil on her hair (in itty bitty amounts). She is just now getting to the point that her hair is in her eyes and I am not cutting it because I want to see how long her hair will grow (I blame this site for that). I do a lot of finger combing on her during the day and I use a seamless wide toothed comb at home. I wish you good luck with your DD's hair! Oh I only actually wash her hair once a week with diluted burts bees baby shampoo so her hair does not get dried out or we get the crazy horrible knots that just do not want to come out and a baby girl who runs from mommy shrieking NOOOOOO!

Katze
February 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM
My DH has fine, thick, wurly hair that does that, and a double crown which means one spot dreads FAST. Detangling spray has helped him a lot, as has CO washing. It sounds like you've found some good ideas.

It is so sad to see little girls with pretty hair whose moms make them cut because they can't deal with tangles. This has happened so often among family and friends. If my DD's hair ever gets long (she is one of those baldies, growing out fine and blonde but still only thin on the ends since she started with so little) I hope to let her be able to have long hair, if she wants it...