PDA

View Full Version : How do you oil your hair?

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
So I finally took the plunge about two weeks ago and bought myself a jar of coconut oil. My dog hasn't stopped stealing it to try to break into it yet (so far no luck but I keep finding it in random locations around the house). I've been using it before every wash and so far I've definitely noticed an improvement. My ends were so horrible and dry I was sure I'd have to cut a few inches, now I'm feeling confident I don't have to do that. The skin on my legs is also much less itchy because I rub the leftover oil on my hands onto them, added bonus!

But I'm wondering how everyone else does their oiling. How much do you apply? I feel like I'm adding a ridiculous amount (probably at least 2-3tbsp all told) and then it feels dry a few moments later (especially once I braid it), is that just in my head? I keep adding oil and more oil and I feel like I'm over doing it and probably just wasting oil and potentially undermining the positives? Is too much harmful?

I usually get the oil liquified in my hands and then sort of vigorously rub it into a handful of hair which I'm SURE isn't a good idea, there is likely a better way I haven't thought of, any suggestions?

Also, do you think is it a good idea to oil before an ACV rinse shower, or is it just a case of the two cancelling each other out?

So -- what's your method?

Auksaplauke
February 16th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hi
I use a little oil not toomuch 1tbs oil,becouse too much oil is hard to wash out. I hate then i put too much oils and my my hair looked greasy. And i use oil for my hair ends i use one drop. I have many types of oil. My favorite is coconut,avocado, olive oil and i use over oils....

DarkCurls
February 16th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I also use coconut oil. It's my favorite oil so far, though I've discovered almond oil works well for me, too. (I prefer the solidity and smell of coconut oil.) I've tried others and will probably continue to experiment, but coconut oil is really effective.

I sometimes add a little bit to the ends (scratching at the top of the jar, probably about half a teaspoon, melted between my hands) while wearing it down (not often, though). I kind of close my palms around my ends and work the oil through by gently "squeezing". I don't rub up and down, but do smooth my hand down over those last few inches. If I'm braiding or bunning it, though, I use more. 2-3 tablespoons, like you said, from the nape down.

I feel like I'm adding a ridiculous amount (probably at least 2-3tbsp all told) and then it feels dry a few moments later (especially once I braid it), is that just in my head? I keep adding oil and more oil and I feel like I'm over doing it and probably just wasting oil and potentially undermining the positives? Is too much harmful?

I don't think that's a ridiculous amount. Coconut oil soaks in well, but you still want to be careful not to overdo it. Same method -- I smooth it into my hair, always downwards, and squeeze until it's melted from the heat of my hands. (Often, I'll put the jar on the heater to warm it up, then scoop it out when it's half-solid half-liquid -- my favorite texture for coconut oil, so easy to apply).
You could try using only a little and see how you like that. Because you could be wasting the oil. My first jar of coconut oil lasted me about a month. I've had my current jar for three months and it's not even half-empty yet. :D It's all about finding what works for you -- I experimented a lot before settling on the amount that makes hair soft, but not greasy.
But there are no real dangers to really overdoing it. I deep oil all the time before a wash. You get stringy, lanky hair... but it feels very soft. And you're going to wash it out anyway. Go with what works for you.

Also, do you think is it a good idea to oil before an ACV rinse shower, or is it just a case of the two cancelling each other out?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any difference... I do an ACV rinse after every wash (for my scalp), and as I've said, I often deep oil before a wash. I suppose there are two schools of thought. Some people don't believe in pre-wash treatments.
Oiling pre-wash or post-wash is a choice. They yield different results to different people. ^^ Again, if you think it's working, stick with it.

katiebeans
February 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I use a tint brush, like the kind you apply hair dye with, to apply the melted coconut oil to my hair. I find it much easier to cover all my hair that way. I focus on the length and ends rather than the roots. It all gets covered anyway when I comb it through. I'm still figuring out the right amount to use though. But I love coconut oil!

I rinse with ACV after every wash, including my post-oiling wash. I haven't experianced any adverse effects thus far :)

jacqueline101
February 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I buy the liquid kind and add it with other oils mix with water mist over my entire length.

Ravenwind
February 16th, 2013, 01:16 PM
When I feel like my hair needs it, I slather my hair in coconut oil and sleep with it overnight. The next day I'll wash it out and I won't put anything else in my hair, including more oil, because I feel like there's leftover oil still in my hair. Some days I will put a little amount of coconut oil in my hair after a towel dry my hair as a leave in and it tames my hair nicely. :) Once a week I do a peppermint/apricot oil treatment and also sleep with that overnight and wash it out the next day. I also follow up with rosewater and spray that in my hair after a shower, because that also works as a nice leave in.

Over oiling won't be harmful to your hair, but it can definitely cause a lot of buildup, which then won't be good for your hair. Try not to rub it in your hair though, because the friction can damage it. What I do is just simply slide it down my hair between my hands, like as if you're wringing water out of your hair.

Remember that less is more! Good luck.

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I sometimes add a little bit to the ends (scratching at the top of the jar, probably about half a teaspoon, melted between my hands) while wearing it down (not often, though).

I definitely oil my hair when it's wet, just on the ends. I've started using the coconut oil but I think I may stick with my Argan oil for that, I feel like just a little covers more than a little coconut oil. Definitely can't put any oil on my hair dry unless I'm planning to put it up or wash it right after, my hair shows oil like crazy.

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Do you apply the oil to all of your hair at once (or in pigtails which I'm currently doing) or do you do it in small sections? I have medium hair, maybe even closer to fine, but there's a TON of it so I don't feel like I'm getting oil everywhere. o.o

It is heartening that so many people have a process similar to mine!

(I could definitely have edited my last post to add this. I have no idea why I didn't. Sorry.)

Sharysa
February 16th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Usually I oil my hair after it's mostly air-dried from my shower. I put almond oil on my scalp and sweetgrass essential oil on the last few inches. First I run my hands through it to get the oil on, then I comb it from the bottom up, half my hair at a time.

Since my hair tends to be dry, especially the ends, I've decided to start using almond oil on the bottom half whenever the ends get unusually sticky and crunchy. It soaks the oil up like a sponge.

DarkCurls
February 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I definitely oil my hair when it's wet, just on the ends. I've started using the coconut oil but I think I may stick with my Argan oil for that, I feel like just a little covers more than a little coconut oil. Definitely can't put any oil on my hair dry unless I'm planning to put it up or wash it right after, my hair shows oil like crazy.

Really! That's funny. I can't oil wet, unless it's really a tiny little bit. My hair gets greasy. However, oil on dry hair is easier to "dose" out for me. Different people, different hair. :p

I add it to all my hair at once, unless I'm braiding, in which case I'll go section by section.

Phalaenopsis
February 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I divide my hair in two sections, scrape a little bit of coconut oil and rub it between my hands until I can see they are shiny. Then I start with the ends and work my way up, sliding both hands pressed together over my hair. Then I do the same with the other side. A little goes a long way here :)

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Really! That's funny. I can't oil wet, unless it's really a tiny little bit. My hair gets greasy. However, oil on dry hair is easier to "dose" out for me. Different people, different hair. :p

Ha! I tried to oil my hair after it dried from a shower and had to get RIGHT back in the shower to get it out because even just a tiny bit made my hair look like an oil slick.

rowie
February 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Whenever my ends feel dry, I warm up some extra virgin coconut oil in the palms of my hands. I would then work the oil gently to my ends and then moving up until I've used up all the oil from the palms of my hands. As a final touch, I use my tangle Teezer to spread the oil all over my hair.

LadyLongLocks
February 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I only use coconut oil and I add it to dry hair these days. I add a tiny bit after I wash and dry. Then before wash day i do a heavy oiling the night before. I might use 1 tsp...it varies.

Cheele
February 20th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Well.. I'm one of "those".. I dislike coconut oil for my hair. I bought a jar many months ago and started grabbing a less than a tablespoon and dabbing it on my ends. It took me a few weeks to make the connection between my especially dry ends and the coconut oil, but yep, the oil was definitely the perpetrator. Maybe it's just the way that oil works? Regardless, I'm not a fan, and you don't have to be just because everyone else seems to be! You say that you hair still feels dry after using it? Maybe it's just not for you. Anyway, since then, I only use jojoba oil or the occasional castor/jojoba mix because that's just what I use for the OCM for my face. I take a pea sized amount and rub that on my ends and the razored "layers" I tried to give myself, because they're all vulnerable, after I get out of the shower. Sometimes I do it dry.. I actually find it to be less greasy when I do it dry... but lalala :kitten:

Mandie
February 20th, 2013, 02:48 AM
I actually was toying with my hair earlier, and realized with a start my ends are so silky smooth it feels like I cut four inches off. All of the 'straw' I was feeling for ages (years?) is gone. It's smooth and soft. I suspect my hair feels dry because the oil is soaking in and I can't feel the oiliness of the coconut oil after I braid it, once I unbraid it it definitely cannot be worn down without a shower. xD I do like my argan oil but that's only a post-shower treatment (I've decided I hate coconut oil on my damp hair, it just doesn't work for me, so argan oil and silk drops it is) because it's much more expensive.

Cowgirl16
February 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I love coconut oil! I bought a HUGE jar from Costco and I use it on my wet hair, dry hair, face, hands, legs, elbows...everywhere.
I usually mix it with a bit of leave in conditioner after I wash my hair, I split my hair in half and start from he bottom and work my way up. Sometimes mid week I will use it on the ends of my dry hair. I think I am one of those people that use a lot; maybe slightly more than a tsp but less than a TBSP on my hair. I have never used it as a pre-oil though.

I love using it on my face; I have also read that it is a natural sun block :)

TheHowlingWolf
February 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I heavy oil once a week with coconut oil mixed with a little castor oil. I apply it all over my length and give myself a scalp massage with it. I usually leave it in for AT LEAST 5 hours. I also use coconut oil on my hair every time before I wash my hair. I put it on my length and finger detangle my hair & I will leave the oil on for about an hour before I get in the shower.

Mandie
February 20th, 2013, 03:32 PM
TheHowlingWolf, do you find the oil on your scalp makes you scalp greasy or do you have a dryer scalp? I try to keep my oil well away from my scalp because I have a tendancy to get super greasy super fast.

TheHowlingWolf
February 21st, 2013, 12:27 AM
TheHowlingWolf, do you find the oil on your scalp makes you scalp greasy or do you have a dryer scalp? I try to keep my oil well away from my scalp because I have a tendancy to get super greasy super fast.

My scalp is troublesome. It's oily but it has lots of flakes & itches. I think it's Sebhorreic Dermatitis but I'm not sure. Anyway, I have no problem with the castor oil/coconut oil on my scalp. I actually find that it helps with the itching & I heard castor oil helps with hair growth.
Recently I've gone back to sulfates (the "new" Herbal Essence shine collection shampoo) & I never have a problem with any left over oil. But I also never had a problem when I was co washing or using a sulfate free shampoo either. Though, with the sulfate free shampoo I think it would depend on the shampoo and how much oil you use.

Pierre
February 21st, 2013, 03:14 AM
I use jojoba in a spray bottle. I don't know how much I apply at once, maybe a quarter of a milliliter. I spray it on one hand, rub the palms together, and spread it over my hair (bunned) and beard.

As to the dog, how about keeping the coconut oil in the fridge? That's what I do (but I don't have a dog). I get it out with a knife.

yoni
February 21st, 2013, 03:26 AM
I almost never oil my hair (done it only a few times in my growing process, should probably do it more often), using Moroccan oil, spreading all over my length and de-tangling for a few minutes past it.

Siiri
February 21st, 2013, 03:50 AM
I use mineral oil or sometimes coconut oil as a leave-in, and apply it on towel dried hair after washing. I keep the mineral oil in pipette bottle and use 3-4 drops. If I'm using coconut oil I use about a pea sized amount. I detangle first, then rub the oil into my palms and divide the hair in two parts. Then I stroke the hair on the other side with my palms, the hair being between my palms, and I repeat on the other side, from ears down. Then I finger comb the length to spread the oil more evenly. I usually have some oil left on my hands at this point and apply it to the canopy hair. I press my palms the top of my head my stroke down, and finger comb a bit. I don't apply the oil directly on my scalp. Finally I comb my hair again and braid it. I don't reapply oils between washing. They don't really sink into my hair anyway.

I haven't been doing heavy oilings lately because I find they don't do anything for me.

longNred
February 21st, 2013, 06:46 AM
I use coconut. about 1/8 or less tsp before I braid for bed on days 1 & 2 post wash. days 3 & 4 I usually have enough natural oils, sometimes I'll put a tiny smidge on my ends. I do a heavier oiling the night before a wash (when I remember) - maybe once a week. a jar of coconut oil seems to last me FOREVER.

Ruzovy
February 21st, 2013, 06:58 AM
I usually only oil it after washing if it looks too poofy and dry after air-drying, and then I just divide my hair into 2 sections and dip my fingers into the jar with melted oil. I shake off as much as I can and after rubbing it into my hands I smooth it through one of the halves, downwards only! Then repeat on the other side.

If I do a serious oiling before bed, I use about 2-3tbspoons or until my hair looks wet, then I tie into 2 braids, and wash it in the morning.

Sisko
February 21st, 2013, 07:59 AM
I apply less than a teaspoon sized amount of coconut oil to my hands until they are shiny, rub them together, and gently slide them down my length, ears down (but starting from the ends). I can only oil my hair when dry and usually do this on a daily basis. Sometimes I apply a little bit of argan oil to the bristles of my wooden brush and simply brush through my hair; this is a good way of ensuring that one doesn't overdo it. Before a wash, I use a more generous amount and leave it in overnight.

If your hair isn't complaining, go forth with whatever amount you've been using, I say. If it's stringy or dry, you may want to use a bit less. It's really all about experimenting until you find what works for you.