PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unreasonable?

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?

neko_kawaii
February 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Wait till your sister can do it for you.

renia22
February 15th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.

Neneka
February 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. shudder: And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp. :)

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Wait till your sister can do it for you.

I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't desperately need a trim, just the ends of my layers are a little dry and my hemline is getting a little thin since I haven't trimmed it in so long. I'm just not sure when I'll see my sister next :\

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. shudder: And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp. :)

Oh definitely! Plus I have a hard time trusting hairstylists. No matter how good they are, my hair never turns out the way I want it. I have a ton of layers I'm trying to grow out and stylists get scissor happy and like to thin and texturize the crap out of my hair :( I hate it when they do that.

samanthaj08
February 15th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?

You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
$20
But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
$20
What if I bring my own shampoo?
$20
What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
$20
Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks

lapushka
February 15th, 2013, 01:15 PM
That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
$20
But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
$20
What if I bring my own shampoo?
$20
What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
$20
Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks

Haha that's so ridiculous.

That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.

I have used Feye's method before, and my hair is long enough now to where I can do it myself, but I have layers that need to be trimmed and I'm not doing it myself! lol

Vanille_
February 15th, 2013, 01:43 PM
It is someone's job, ya know? They often get paid in tips I think. How much of a tip can you expect on a $10 haircut? When I was a waitress I looked at it this way: If someone came and sat in my section and all they had was a soda and they read their book for an hour, they lost me money that I could have made if some people had come in to actually eat (and thus had a higher bill). So yeah ... they could either spend their time (which is worth money) giving you a $10 hair cut, or they could charge someone $20-$40 or do a big job like a dye or something and make a lot more. I've had really small trims before, and they sometimes took 30 minutes just because the person was being really careful since they knew how picky I was.

neko_kawaii
February 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
It is someone's job, ya know? They often get paid in tips I think. How much of a tip can you expect on a $10 haircut? When I was a waitress I looked at it this way: If someone came and sat in my section and all they had was a soda and they read their book for an hour, they lost me money that I could have made if some people had come in to actually eat (and thus had a higher bill). So yeah ... they could either spend their time (which is worth money) giving you a $10 hair cut, or they could charge someone $20-$40 or do a big job like a dye or something and make a lot more. I've had really small trims before, and they sometimes took 30 minutes just because the person was being really careful since they knew how picky I was.

Yep. My favorite customers were these two guys who came in every morning and often again in the afternoon for a cup of coffee each. They also left amazing tips because they knew my booth was valuable. Their cups were ready for them when they walked in the door, one with a glass of ice water beside it. That was ten years ago and I remember those details.

I know that in two or three years when I make an appointment with my stylist for a trim I will be paying her well for her time and expertise. I can't afford to go more often than that and I will put up with a ragged hem line (if that develops) and do my own S&D/microtrims to maintain healthy hair until I can justify the cost of her professional services.

Chromis
February 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'd just buy a good pair of hair scissors. I think mine cost about the same price you are being quoted for a cut, but they have given me many many trims over the years!

Unless you actually want the layers, I would just go ahead and trim the bottom, letting them catch up on their own. I also hate layers, so... I am biased here! They make updos harder.

ellen732
February 15th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Um, having been a hairstylist for over 18 years, no one is forcing you to go to a salon that you feel costs more than you are willing to pay. Some salons services are not a la carte, meaning everything is packaged, so if you don't want a shampoo or blow dry then I suggest you find a salon in your price range that will provide the service you are looking for. Since you aren't just looking for a trim across the bottom and you are looking for your layers to be shaped up as well, maybe that is worth paying a little more than 10 bucks for.

Kayleigh
February 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I understand where they are coming from, being a beauty therapist myself, they do need to make a living. And bringing your own product, well honestly I'd be offended if a customer would do that. But it annoys me that some (not all) hairdressers are insisting on washing, even if you don't want to. I don't force anything on my clients. I do explain why I do what I do and tell them it's their own responsibility if they decide they don't want it and the result ends up being less than what they expected. I can respect their choice, after all I work for them.
If you don't feel it's worth it to pay that amount of money, then don't go to that particular hairdresser/salon. If you feel more comfortable with your sister cutting it and you save money with it, I wouldn't even consider going to a hairdresser if I were you. Wish I had a sister like that. ;)

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I'm not trying to offend anyone that is a hairstylist, but like I said, considering my budget and how little I need done, I don't want to pay that much. If I was getting my hair cut in a completely different style and colored, then yes I would pay more. Every time I paid a hairstylist to do my hair I ended up paying way more than I wanted to and hated the results. So until I get to visit my sister again I will wait.

The stylist I'd be going to is a friend of my mom's, and she does her hair really nicely and she does do a good job. She's also asking the cheapest amount compared to any salon out here. I'm just so low maintenance, I don't need all of the extra things and I don't need to spend that much money on my hair :\

GrowingGlory
February 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
You could just oil the ends of your hair and wait for your hem to thicken up.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM
You could just oil the ends of your hair and wait for your hem to thicken up.

How would it thicken up by oiling?

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Also, just to explain myself a little further, I say I would pay $10 for a trim because what my sister has done was just a dry haircut on me. If someone can spend 10 minutes or so trimming my hair like that, then I'll pay that much. I'm not asking for a lot. lol

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I'd just buy a good pair of hair scissors. I think mine cost about the same price you are being quoted for a cut, but they have given me many many trims over the years!

Unless you actually want the layers, I would just go ahead and trim the bottom, letting them catch up on their own. I also hate layers, so... I am biased here! They make updos harder.

I actually don't want my layers, but I think they need just a tiny trim to stay smooth and healthy. Only reason why I'm contemplating this :) Otherwise I would just trim the bottom myself.

GrowingGlory
February 15th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I suggested oiling to remedy the dryness of your hair's ends and waiting for your layers to grow out which will thicken your hem.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I suggested oiling to remedy the dryness of your hair's ends and waiting for your layers to grow out which will thicken your hem.

Right, but my hair isn't particularly dry. I get what you're saying and I know once the layers grow out it will be thicker, but it won't be without a trim across the bottom.

dulce
February 15th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Buy a Crea clip and do it yourself!! I would never pay $30.for a half inch cut.Now I do it myself for free on my own time and I get what I want.

Vanille_
February 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM
My experience is that you often get what you pay for. Sure you might find a place who will only charge $10. Maybe the stylists who work there are desperate for the money and can't find a higher quality salon. Maybe it is because they are just out of school. I don't know... I would just be super careful about paying so little for something so important. DH gets haircuts all the time from different places. He won't go to get his hair cut at Walmart or other super cheap places because they do a bad job even though it is a simple cut.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Buy a Crea clip and do it yourself!! I would never pay $30.for a half inch cut.

I have thought about getting one before, but I'm still worried I'll mess up lol

My experience is that you often get what you pay for. Sure you might find a place who will only charge $10. Maybe the stylists who work there are desperate for the money and can't find a higher quality salon. Maybe it is because they are just out of school. I don't know... I would just be super careful about paying so little for something so important. DH gets haircuts all the time from different places. He won't go to get his hair cut at Walmart or other super cheap places because they do a bad job even though it is a simple cut.

Oh I agree. I understand that ANY salon will always charge more than I want to pay. And I would never go to get my hair cut at a cheap salon. Been there, done that :P I also don't allow anyone I don't know to cut my hair. They don't know what I want and will end up doing what they want.

I don't expect to walk into a salon and get a trim for $10. I know that's not reasonable at all. Just according to what I need done, in my opinion, I don't think I need to pay a lot for it.

GrowingGlory
February 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't desperately need a trim, just the ends of my layers are a little dry and my hemline is getting a little thin since I haven't trimmed it in so long. I'm just not sure when I'll see my sister next :\

I read this and suggested oiling the ends to remedy dryness and waiting patiently for your layers to grow out and thicken your hem.

I suppose that I do not really understand how a trim will thicken your hem because I can not see your hair.

But, of course, it is your hair and your decision. I had no intention of offending you. I hope that you achieve the desired results.

Carolyn
February 15th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Um, having been a hairstylist for over 18 years, no one is forcing you to go to a salon that you feel costs more than you are willing to pay. Some salons services are not a la carte, meaning everything is packaged, so if you don't want a shampoo or blow dry then I suggest you find a salon in your price range that will provide the service you are looking for. Since you aren't just looking for a trim across the bottom and you are looking for your layers to be shaped up as well, maybe that is worth paying a little more than 10 bucks for.This. I would suggest waiting for your sister to be available to do the trim. $30 is not unreasonable for a trim on layered hair even if you go in with it freshly washed and wet. It takes my stylist a good half hour to trim my just below BSL layered hair. It takes just as much time to cut off a half inch as it does 6 inches. It's not about the amount of hair that is cut off. Trimming layers takes skill and time.

Good point about sitting in a restaurant reading a book, which I have done. When I do, I leave a good tip. A very good tip.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I read this and suggested oiling the ends to remedy dryness and waiting patiently for your layers to grow out and thicken your hem.

I suppose that I do not really understand how a trim will thicken your hem because I can not see your hair.

But, of course, it is your hair and your decision. I had no intention of offending you. I hope that you achieve the desired results.

A trim will thicken it up because the thinner ends will be cut off. If it isn't trimmed, it will continue to grow as it is and the bottom won't thicken up at all. Make sense? And you didn't offend me :)

dulce
February 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Look up the different CREACLIP haircuts and how to do them on utube.You can do layers,blunt cuts one length,u-hems,v-hems,bangs etc.I haven't been to a salon in over 3 years,I do it myself with the Creaclip.Also check Feyes method of cutting your hair[demos for that on utube also.]Three years ago,I had layers done in a salon that were completely different lengths from one side of my head compared to the other and very hard to grow out as it was so uneven.That was it for me.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:35 PM
This. I would suggest waiting for your sister to be available to do the trim. $30 is not unreasonable for a trim on layered hair even if you go in with it freshly washed and wet. It takes my stylist a good half hour to trim my just below BSL layered hair. It takes just as much time to cut off a half inch as it does 6 inches. It's not about the amount of hair that is cut off. Trimming layers takes skill and time.

Good point about sitting in a restaurant reading a book, which I have done. When I do, I leave a good tip. A very good tip.

After some thought, $30 isn't too bad of a deal if you're going with a package (washing, cut, blow dry). Compared to a lot of salons out here it's very reasonable. And I agree trimming layers does take skill and time. However, I don't need a whole package deal and personally, I'd rather pay between $15-$20 for a trim, without washing and blow drying. I really only need a dusting though. That's why I'm being so picky!

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Look up the different CREACLIP haircuts and how to do them on utube.

I have spent a lot of time looking at them. Thank you :)

silverthread
February 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM
$30 is about right considering you have layers that need to be trimmed as well. Trimming half an inch is much different than trimming layers.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
$30 is about right considering you have layers that need to be trimmed as well. Trimming half an inch is much different than trimming layers.

what I meant was only a 1/2 an inch all over. $30 is still too much for me for a basic trim though. Just a trim.

spidermom
February 15th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sometimes hair salon chains like Supercuts have sales or coupons where you can get a haircut that cheap (or close to it).

Leaning forward with your hair in a top-of-head ponytail falling in front of you is a pretty good way of trimming layers.

akilina
February 15th, 2013, 06:31 PM
If you are not wanting to pay just wait...

BUT.....Here is the thing...a trim is still cutting all of your hair.

You are not unreasonable but I am just telling you the other side of it.

A bang trim would be acceptable to only be $5-$10. Yet...she will still be cutting all of your hair. Just because its only a half inch doesn't make it not a hair cut.

ellen732
February 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I charge way more than 10 bucks when I cut hair in my kitchen, and no one is getting a shampoo :D. And we are talking friends and family here.

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'd get someone to help you like your sister or try the feye self trim method.

cheetahfast
February 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I don't think $30 for a trim is bad. My salon is $80 (though I have not gotten a trim in 2 years, if I though I needed one I might go there, my guy is a bit snip happy but very talented). I only go for highlights or when I used to get it chemically straightened. Those prices weren't bad.

I think you should wait because what you are willing to pay is not going to be able to get something that is good quality (most likely).

Chromis
February 15th, 2013, 08:38 PM
A trim will thicken it up because the thinner ends will be cut off. If it isn't trimmed, it will continue to grow as it is and the bottom won't thicken up at all. Make sense? And you didn't offend me :)

The bottom will thicken as your layers catch up. If you baby the ends and do some s&d while trimming just the very bottom, they will catch up a lot faster. Layers will decrease the thickness of your hemline otherwise. You will grow them out a lot faster if you stop cutting them. This is what GrowingGlory is trying to say as well. Now, if you want the layers that is a different story and others here have suggested ways to self trim for layers. I have not tried them.

In any event, I would still suggest a good pair of scissors used only for hair (no paper!) to cut out any split ends you see. That should keep your hair in fine condition until you can see your sister next and you will have a nice sharp pair of nice new scissors for her to use as well. Win! Keep in mind, even if you feel your hem is a bit uneven, no one will be able to tell if your hair is up and that keeps them better protected as well. Plus that gives more chances to do cool buns and play with nice hairsticks.

LakeofGlass
February 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but have you seen Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions? (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) I was a bit worried on my first try, but it lets you trim properly without chopping all your hair off. I've done this for a few years now. I've even done it in ponytail sections for layers. If you're just doing the straight-across, it isn't difficult at all. If you know how to cut in a straight line, you can cut your own hair this way. I'm no expert, maybe a slightly advanced novice at best, but I didn't kill my hair. My 2nd and 3rd trim did have an issue, but it was my fault for gripping the ends wrong. It will always turn out right if you take your time and relax.

But if you really don't want to try that, just wait until you have outside help. It's only a suggestion.

Kaelee
February 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I second the recommendation for Feye's self-trimming method. I tried it once...and haven't seen a hair stylist since. I'm a convert.

I used to go to Great Clips, it was like $13 for a trim (plus tip). I never wanted my hair washed or blowdried or anything like that. Some places offer JUST the trim as an option, I guess some don't.

teela1978
February 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Feye's method. Won't help much with layers, but will get the ends and will probably help you wait till you see your sister.

Mandie
February 15th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I had a friend trim my hair, it cost about $25-30. That was almost a year ago so I can't quite recall. I am of the opinion that if it is JUST a trim I can pull it over my shoulder and nip it down. But then I've had a hairdresser grab a handful of dry hair and lop off eight inches before even STARTING to even it out so I am really neurotic about it. If you think the going rate for your area (which I assume you've called around to compare) is too much...over-the-shoulder trims are always your option, most hairstylists aren't going to reduce their price.

As an example, I work in a doctor's office. You come in totally healthy and wanting a check up. Our fee is $150. Doesn't matter if you are full of problems or totally healthy, you get the SAME fee. It's what we consider to be fair compensation for our time. You have to decide if you feel it's fair and if you don't think it is (I personally cringe at paying that much for a tiny trim) you need to think of another method.

Seeshami
February 15th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Come over. I will do it for you! If you don't want to drive all the way to Colorado wait for your sister, it's silly to pay that much. Just add a little more leave in to your ends till they can be trimmed.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :) I'm sorry if I don't get back to everyone individually but I have read all of your posts. Like I said in my original post I am a very frugal (and sometimes cheap) person, especially when it comes to my hair. I have used the self trimming method before and it has worked great for me when I'm cutting straight across. The layers are a whole different story! I have been growing them out and my hair isn't damaged and I have little to no splits (from what I can tell) but I just wanted a tiny trim to keep them nicer looking and healthy. So I suppose I have a new question. Since I am growing out my layers, would it be best to completely leave them alone while they catch up? I've basically been doing that this past year and they have grown a lot.

Like everyone has been saying, $30 is not a bad deal. And I agree. But for me it's just a bit too much when I don't desperately need a trim. I will never expect to get a decent haircut for $10 at a salon - EVER. lol I know that is completely unreasonable. I suppose I have just been used to my sister trimming my hair for me at home and she takes 10 minutes to do it. I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from and no one thinks I'm being naive. :)

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Come over. I will do it for you! If you don't want to drive all the way to Colorado wait for your sister, it's silly to pay that much. Just add a little more leave in to your ends till they can be trimmed.

Colorado is a bit far, but thank you! Haha :)

Seeshami
February 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM
You're Welcome! :heartbeat

And letting your layers catch up is the best way to get them gone.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 11:14 PM
You're Welcome! :heartbeat

And letting your layers catch up is the best way to get them gone.

So it would be best to not trim them at all?

truepeacenik
February 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Ravenwind, do you happen to be Bay Area? I could help you.

I'd drive to CO for that offer! But, I really want to go home, too.

Your other option, lightly touched on, is a barber.
Someone who specializes in men's cuts.
Like dry cleaners, male-oriented hair cutters tend to charge less. Less add-ons, too.

I had a woman in Colorado who I saw for eyebrow waxing (blond in one eye means I always over pluck one side. Paying is better) twice a year, she would even up my self trims.
Sure, I'm standing on a milk crate and everyone in the salon is watching, but she charged me $15. I tipped well, (and I always tipped for time served in a restaurant) and we were both happy.
She asked about my nonstandard hair care, and explained some science behind standard hair care.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Ravenwind, do you happen to be Bay Area? I could help you.

I'd drive to CO for that offer! But, I really want to go home, too.

Your other option, lightly touched on, is a barber.
Someone who specializes in men's cuts.
Like dry cleaners, male-oriented hair cutters tend to charge less. Less add-ons, too.

I had a woman in Colorado who I saw for eyebrow waxing (blond in one eye means I always over pluck one side. Paying is better) twice a year, she would even up my self trims.
Sure, I'm standing on a milk crate and everyone in the salon is watching, but she charged me $15. I tipped well, (and I always tipped for time served in a restaurant) and we were both happy.
She asked about my nonstandard hair care, and explained some science behind standard hair care.

I live in Southern California, in the desert area unfortunately. The thing about going to a barber is I'm worried they also won't be able to trim the way I want it since they mainly specialize in men's haircuts, right? Lol
I even rarely get my nails done because I think it's cheaper to do it myself. It doesn't look as nice, but I get the job done xD
$15 doesn't seem so bad for a trim.

DancingQueen
February 15th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I wish hair stylists would charge only 30$, the cheapest I can find around here is 75$ - and that is no matter how little the trim is!!!

Being on a tight budget, I invested in a crea clip and a hair scissor, and now my mom cuts my hair for free. Way cheaper, and she actually do a better job than any hair stylist I have had before. :)

MeaCulpa
February 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM
I had to laugh reading this thread. $30 for a trim? I WISH! In Australia, I have been quoted as much at $120 for a trim. Honestly, the longer your hair is, the more they charge you. One of my favorite things to do it tie my hair up on top of my head, and since it's quite fine, it doesn't look like much, then I walk into a salon and inquire about prices, about halfway through the conversation, I let my hair out. The stylists eyes always pop and the price tag double immediately.

If I really need a trim I go to the styling school and pay a student to give me a $20 supervised shampoo and trim. They're awesome because they actually do what you ask.

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I had to laugh reading this thread. $30 for a trim? I WISH! In Australia, I have been quoted as much at $120 for a trim. Honestly, the longer your hair is, the more they charge you. One of my favorite things to do it tie my hair up on top of my head, and since it's quite fine, it doesn't look like much, then I walk into a salon and inquire about prices, about halfway through the conversation, I let my hair out. The stylists eyes always pop and the price tag double immediately.

If I really need a trim I go to the styling school and pay a student to give me a $20 supervised shampoo and trim. They're awesome because they actually do what you ask.

$120?? For a trim?? Wow... That's definitely way too much lol. My hair isn't very long though, it's only about BSL. But I get what you're saying.

akilina
February 16th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Holy Moly...Even for me its crazy to hear how much trims cost in some towns!!
Charging sooo much for a hair cut is really not very great right now..at least in my area. Most people live pay check to pay check and are way more likely to come in more often if the prices are not absurd. That is the reason why the owner of the salon I want to work at does not charge an arm and a leg for anything, especially color.

As for one of your questions..If you are trying to get rid of the layers, and they are not really damaged at all I would just leave them and only trim your length. That is what I have been doing. Every 6 months I trim a half inch off to an inch. Its all it needs.

Cheap salons are not bad. There are incredible stylists hiding inside. Sure, there are bad experiences but it has NOTHING to do with it being super cuts or great clips. There are terrible stylists everywhere as well, even in high end expensive salons. Paying more does not mean its going to be better.
You basically just have to say the right things and really make sure you are both on the same page. My first salon job was at GreatClips and people were always happily shocked that they got such a wonderful amazing hair cut ;)

Icialine
February 16th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I really don't think 30$ is too much to ask at all. The thing is, that for a stylist, cutting 12 inches or 1/2 inch is the same amount of work. We may call it a trim but it's really a haircut. The technique is the same, only the amount of hair that ends up on the floor is different.
In fact, it may be more work to cut long hair since, to check that all the layers match, she'll be dealing with holding it a few feet away from your body instead of cutting a shape close to the head as she usually does. My hair is a bit past my hips and I slightly layer it myself at the bottom for movement. This entails trimming it every other month and if I could trust a stylist to do this properly so I could avoid having aching arms and a crick in my neck from holding it out as far as I can reach for half an hour I would go to that pro even if it meant a week of ramen noodles.
If you can wait for your sister to come do it, that's wonderful (you're so lucky!), but I really doubt you can get this done professionally for less. Some barbers don't charge as much as stylists but aside from getting a blunt cut from them I'd be leery of using them. A regular stylist is used to dealing with customers with lots of hair even if she's never worked on hair as long as yours but most barbers have never had to handle more than a couple of inches of hair. If they make a mistake it could set you back several months or more in growth.

Thinthondiel
February 16th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I had to laugh reading this thread. $30 for a trim? I WISH! In Australia, I have been quoted as much at $120 for a trim.

Yeah, that sounds more like the prices I'm used to here in Norway. :p Not that I really go to hair stylists anymore, now that I cut/trim my own hair.

katiebeans
February 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Most of the salons I've been to or called over here charge $40-$60 for a trim/wash/style. There were times in the past where I payed the money because I enjoyed the end results from having them style it. Other times I went to Great Clips or Super Cuts and payed <$10 for a trim. So I think that the $30 they're asking you for is relatively reasonable. But you DON'T have to have the wash and style! That would cut the price down, but I would rather go to an inexpensive chain salon or do it myself.

$120 is absolutely out of this world! I better look like Rapunzel on my way out.

march_sun
February 16th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I live in NYC and the way I found a good cheap hairstylist was through yelp. It was a tiny little place, but it was clean and my appointment started right on time. $15 for a haircut (no shampoo or style). I was very happy with the result! She even recommended that I come back every six months to get trims rather than every 6 weeks, like a stylist would normally recommend. She's awesome! Unfortunately I won't be seeing her until next year

lapushka
February 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
For a layered cut, a real "style", you'd pay about €40 to €50 over here, so in that case I don't think $30 is that unreasonable. For a straight-across cut, which isn't even a style, yes $30 is a little much. It all depends on what you want, but prices in salons are pretty stable as far as stylish cuts go.

Chromis
February 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :) I'm sorry if I don't get back to everyone individually but I have read all of your posts. Like I said in my original post I am a very frugal (and sometimes cheap) person, especially when it comes to my hair. I have used the self trimming method before and it has worked great for me when I'm cutting straight across. The layers are a whole different story! I have been growing them out and my hair isn't damaged and I have little to no splits (from what I can tell) but I just wanted a tiny trim to keep them nicer looking and healthy. So I suppose I have a new question. Since I am growing out my layers, would it be best to completely leave them alone while they catch up? I've basically been doing that this past year and they have grown a lot.

Like everyone has been saying, $30 is not a bad deal. And I agree. But for me it's just a bit too much when I don't desperately need a trim. I will never expect to get a decent haircut for $10 at a salon - EVER. lol I know that is completely unreasonable. I suppose I have just been used to my sister trimming my hair for me at home and she takes 10 minutes to do it. I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from and no one thinks I'm being naive. :)

Yep, just leave em alone. If they aren't splitty there is no need to trim them really. They will catch up just fine!

dulce
February 16th, 2013, 10:00 AM
It took me 2 years to grow out my[never again!] poorly done lop sided salon layers,I just trimmed the hem regularly and they eventually caught up and blended in.I'm finished with salons now and love my CREACLIP.There are alternatives to salons,you can go to them or use a creaclip or Feyes method or Spidermoms pony on top of the head technique,lots of choices to cut your hair.If you keep trimming your layers they will take much longer to grow out.

Unicorn
February 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM
The bottom will thicken as your layers catch up. If you baby the ends and do some s&d while trimming just the very bottom, they will catch up a lot faster. Layers will decrease the thickness of your hemline otherwise. You will grow them out a lot faster if you stop cutting them. This is what GrowingGlory is trying to say as well. Now, if you want the layers that is a different story and others here have suggested ways to self trim for layers. I have not tried them.

In any event, I would still suggest a good pair of scissors used only for hair (no paper!) to cut out any split ends you see. That should keep your hair in fine condition until you can see your sister next and you will have a nice sharp pair of nice new scissors for her to use as well. Win! Keep in mind, even if you feel your hem is a bit uneven, no one will be able to tell if your hair is up and that keeps them better protected as well. Plus that gives more chances to do cool buns and play with nice hairsticks.

This pretty much covers my thoughts. S & D to keep the layers healthy, plus self trimming across the hem line. Clarifying followed by oiling should also help any dryness. This should help until it's possible for your sister to do it. You may find you no longer need her to.

Oh, for hair dressers, maybe ask them how much for a dry trim? Some salons are willing to do this at a much lower cost as the time taken up is reduced quite significantly.

Unicorn

Ravenwind
February 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks again everyone :) Until I get to see my sister again I will do what most of you suggested. Just to keep oiling and only trim the bottom myself. As I have mentioned before, $30 is not a lot for the service. I just can't necessarily afford that much right now. :)

leslissocool
February 16th, 2013, 01:31 PM

Not in SoCal where I lived. I payed over 80 bucks for layers, got a mullet and ended up a Monroe cut that looks hideous on me. Next time I went to super cuts and they did a way job for under 20 bucks.

I live in Southern California, in the desert area unfortunately. The thing about going to a barber is I'm worried they also won't be able to trim the way I want it since they mainly specialize in men's haircuts, right? Lol
I even rarely get my nails done because I think it's cheaper to do it myself. It doesn't look as nice, but I get the job done xD
$15 doesn't seem so bad for a trim.

They will do good. Just ask for any u cut or something basic. My friend went there all the time, her husband is a barber. He even put a weave on her once. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can do it and bring a picture.

I do it myself and cut my kids hair too and the teacher didn't believe I did, she said she's seen kids come from the hairdresser with just uneven cuts because they wiggle a lot. Maybe I should open a special needs salon? I can get my son who has SPD and issues with hair cutting to let me cuts his bangs and length. I am not above bribing.

I'd go with the crew clip if I were you.

Ravenwind
February 16th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Not in SoCal where I lived. I payed over 80 bucks for layers, got a mullet and ended up a Monroe cut that looks hideous on me. Next time I went to super cuts and they did a way job for under 20 bucks.

They will do good. Just ask for any u cut or something basic. My friend went there all the time, her husband is a barber. He even put a weave on her once. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can do it and bring a picture.

I do it myself and cut my kids hair too and the teacher didn't believe I did, she said she's seen kids come from the hairdresser with just uneven cuts because they wiggle a lot. Maybe I should open a special needs salon? I can get my son who has SPD and issues with hair cutting to let me cuts his bangs and length. I am not above bribing.

I'd go with the crew clip if I were you.

I had almost the same experience. I paid $50 to get my hair fixed after I cut it all off, and the layers were so messed up and uneven, thinned out way too much, it sort of turned out like a mullet too :(
Sometimes I do trust myself more to cut my own hair than someone else, and if I mess up I have no one to blame but myself, so I think I will stick with that :)
I think a special needs salon is a great idea :)

Ambystoma
February 19th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I'm an avid self trimmer, and when I was just starting out learning the technique, I only took off 1/4 inch at a time (even if it meant doing it 3 or 4 times in one go to get the inch trim I wanted) until I felt more confident. I'd recommend getting a good pair of hair scissors and trying out Feye's method like that, a little at a time - then if you mess up, it's not going to be noticeable and very easy to fix. Over time you'll get better and then you won't have to wait until you see your sister - you can trim as much as you want, whenever you feel like it, for free! I agree with other posters to S&D your layers too to help them grow out healthy (and since you'll have that shiny new pair of scissors, you could keep them by your computer and do a few strands every now and then so it doesn't feel like a big chore :) )

Peggy E.
February 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Shortly after joining LHC - many moons ago now - I attempted Feye's self-trimming method. With the scissors in my hand having spun into a fury of "get it even or die trying!"I was finally able to get my brain out of the trimming hypnosis and put the scissors down.

Around my feet was the 8" disaster I'd cut off in my still unsuccessful attempt to get the ends of my hair even all around. Rather than be bald - which was obviously the only way I was going to get my ends "even," - I turned away and tried to ignore it.

Now recently, years later, I have finally managed to even out the ends all around. But just by sight, not using a method.

So yes, for some people it is possible to fail with Feye's method - and fail horribly. This is not the fault of her method, but the blind-tunnel mindset of some one attempting to use it.... :o(