PDA

View Full Version : Hair in your laundry... and vacuum... and shower... and everywhere

samanthaj08
February 15th, 2013, 11:06 AM
How do you manage with your shed hairs?

I feel like a cat sometimes

CousinItt
February 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM

I know, right? I found a hair stuck in my husband's beard last night. I also keep finding little wads of it in the shower, and I went NW/SO a month ago! I keep cleaning the shower, so how is it getting there?

neko_kawaii
February 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
For the shower the mesh screens that fit down into the drain are marvelous. I have not had to clean the drain in the last two years after switching to that.

For the vacuum, a seam ripper used in sewing allows you to cut and remove the hairs on the roller without taking the blasted thing apart and with least danger to yourself.

When the weather permits, I detangle in the garden. Birds are free to use my shed hairs and they don't end up inside. When it is too cold, hot, wet, or mosquito infested I comb inside and after every couple passes with the comb I use my free hand to check for any loose hairs sticking out the bottom and when some come away (carefully) these and any hairs caught by the comb are placed in a trash bin that lives on top of my vanity. Comb and repeat. When I am done combing I check my clothes for shed hairs, some fabrics attract them more than others. I do not have carpets so I can also do a quick sweep with my fingers of the floor around where I was standing.

Wearing hair up or otherwise contained keeps shed from ending up in strange places quite as much.

You are still going to find the occasional hair in an odd place, but much less so unless you wear it down frequently. In my family we tease my mom who has very thick distinctive long red hair about finding her hair in strange place. "Curiosity landed on Mars, and you know what she found? A Mama hair!"

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I just learned to live with it.

rowie
February 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I feel like the longer my hair gets, the more I realize and find more sheds. I want long hair so this is the price I pay, and it's so worth it!

samanthaj08
February 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM
For the shower the mesh screens that fit down into the drain are marvelous. I have not had to clean the drain in the last two years after switching to that.

For the vacuum, a seam ripper used in sewing allows you to cut and remove the hairs on the roller without taking the blasted thing apart and with least danger to yourself.

When the weather permits, I detangle in the garden. Birds are free to use my shed hairs and they don't end up inside. When it is too cold, hot, wet, or mosquito infested I comb inside and after every couple passes with the comb I use my free hand to check for any loose hairs sticking out the bottom and when some come away (carefully) these and any hairs caught by the comb are placed in a trash bin that lives on top of my vanity. Comb and repeat. When I am done combing I check my clothes for shed hairs, some fabrics attract them more than others. I do not have carpets so I can also do a quick sweep with my fingers of the floor around where I was standing.

Wearing hair up or otherwise contained keeps shed from ending up in strange places quite as much.

You are still going to find the occasional hair in an odd place, but much less so unless you wear it down frequently. In my family we tease my mom who has very thick distinctive long red hair about finding her hair in strange place. "Curiosity landed on Mars, and you know what she found? A Mama hair!"

Ahhh. I love you

melusine963
February 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I manage by keeping my hair bunned or braided all the time to contain the sheds. I have one spot in the house where I detangle, and I gather up any shed hair straight after. I also regularly inspect my clothes to pick off any strays. Even so, my hair still ends up everywhere. :shrug:

CousinItt
February 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Seam ripper... YES! genius.

truepeacenik
February 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I've posted this story before...
My former husband is a tie-dyer. His method uses many, many small stitches to create the resist. The pattern was design, stitch, soak, dye, wash, remove stitches, dry item.
On more than one occasion we would remove the thread, pull and nothing would happen, the fabric stayed in the tight pleats.
A second pull and we'd hear a POP and some pleats would open and we would find my shed hair in the stitches.

Natalia
February 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM
My shedding is pretty confined since i comb in bed in the morning and then its put up and not touched again till i shower. I do find a few wads in the laundry that get caught up in my flece pj's and my microfiber sheets. I keep a dedicated mini trash can by the bed so the chances of missing it are reduced before that id find hairballs all over since theyd catch on socks and pant legs.

TheHowlingWolf
February 16th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I always get hair in my laundry and it's so annoying! I found that they usually stick to socks, sweaters (on the inside), and towels...towels/washcloths are extra annoying because when you go to dry yourself off it's kind of gross (even though you know it's your own hair) to have all this hair on you after you shower.

tigereye
February 16th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I find shed hair everywhere. I have my hair up all the time, and have done for years. It didn't used to be as bad when I had a wooden floor in my bedroom (where I would detangling and style my hair) but my new room has a carpet, and my flatmate also has long hair that gets everywhere since she wears it down. The main difference though is that she doesn't know how to deal with the sheds before they start causing trouble. I'm emptying the shower mesh constantly, and our hair recently killed our vacuum cleaner. Usually I clear it out after every use, but I was away for a month, and when I got back the brush on it was blocked up and stopped moving - my flatmate had never heard of taking the hair out the Hoover-brush, and by the time I did it, the belt had already gone.
Usually in my room, I find a brush to be a better solution. I take the floor-brush to my carpet to pick up most of the hairs, then bin the hair and hoover properly.
I do hate the laundry- balls though. It seems my hair gets everywhere, especially if I wash my bedding or my jumpers.

curlywurlygurly
February 16th, 2013, 04:40 AM
my sheds drive my SO crazy. He manages to find them everywhere. I try to keep them under control, clean the shower out, and vacuum/enjo my bathroom floor (white tiles make it very obvious) etc. but they end up everywhere. He jokes he could make a wig out of them for himself (unfortunately he is bald).

yoni
February 16th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I feel like the longer my hair gets, the more I realize and find more sheds. I want long hair so this is the price I pay, and it's so worth it!

this. but it's getting quite annoying that sheds that fall to my floor get attached to my chair's wheels and then eventually break the wheels :o

katiebeans
February 16th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I hate shed hairs. Mine, yours- if I find them I freak out lol. Mine don't end up in the shower, but they end up everywhere in my bedroom, especially my bed. I also have this black fleece jacket I have been wearing all winter and it's like a hair magnet, which drives me crazy because the blonde hairs are so visible on the dark fabric :steam Argh, they drive me crazy!

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
When I go home to visit I'm not allowed to wear my hair down, and I have to brush over a trashcan. I shed like crazy and my mom hates it. I live alone otherwise so I am not all that cautious about my sheds. >.>

I do have to drain-o my drain in my tub every few months even though I've recently gotten better about catching sheds and sticking them on my wall to throw out later. My tub has one of those pop-up drains and for some frickin' reason no one has thought to invent a hair catching doo-dad that compensates for those. I live in an apartment so I don't want to try to figure out how to remove that feature.

spidermom
February 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
We just deal. I recently replaced the pop-up drain in our shower. Now we have a plug for baths and one of those wire mesh thingies for the shower. It's so much easier to wipe my hair out of that than unplug the drain with hemostats, and that wad of hair always smelled so bad - like sewage! I recently had to take the vacuum cleaner beater bar apart to get the hair off it because I've been having a monstrous shed. It's good as new now.

I notice there are certainly items in my laundry that seem to attract the hair, so while I'm folding, I'm pulling hair off of socks and sweatshirts.

I'd still be shedding if my hair were much shorter, I'm pretty sure. It just wouldn't be as noticeable.

EdG
February 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hair in your laundry... and vacuum... and shower... and everywhere

This sounds like a typical day in the life of a longhair. :lol:
Ed

browneyedsusan
February 16th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Hmm...

Can't say as I've dealt with this before.....:eye:

neko_kawaii
February 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
When I go home to visit I'm not allowed to wear my hair down, and I have to brush over a trashcan. I shed like crazy and my mom hates it. I live alone otherwise so I am not all that cautious about my sheds. >.>

I do have to drain-o my drain in my tub every few months even though I've recently gotten better about catching sheds and sticking them on my wall to throw out later. My tub has one of those pop-up drains and for some frickin' reason no one has thought to invent a hair catching doo-dad that compensates for those. I live in an apartment so I don't want to try to figure out how to remove that feature.

Ours just unscrewed. Easy peasy. (I don't know if all models are that easy.) Bought a strainer and a rubber plug and we keep the part we removed in the bathroom so we can't misplace it.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I detangle outside on the grass when I can, otherwise I lean over the sink and comb, then scoop out the hairs. This works reasonably, though some more adventurous hairs do still end up generally around the place... Oh and I contain my hair in a sleeping cap in bed, so it doesn't at least end up in the sheets or pyjamas....I am super watchful in the shower as it's not mine and I don't want said shower drain clogged....

Maelyssa
February 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM

I wish mine was well managed but sadly, we had to recently take apart the pipes in our bathroom sink and scrape out wads of long hair from me and my daughters that had balled up and snagged on the drain stopper and just wouldn't let go.
Talk about fun times with my guy. I felt embarrassed as most of it was mine.
And no, I don't put it down there. That's just random strays building up. They are everywhere right now. I just bought new products today because I swear the L'Oreal EverCreme was making me shed like crazy.
I hope it's over after I give it up.
And I wish I could get rid of the hair everywhere. Though we did just get this new, big, super vacuum hoping it will vanquish the dreaded stray hair monsters that live everywhere in our home. :D

kpzra
February 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I think the worse one was when my daughter and I had the 8 week post birth checkup and one of my hairs was around one of her toes. I had just given her a bath too, but my husband undressed her for the nurse to do her thing and there it was (I was in the other room, he told me after). He likes to tease me when he finds them in his stubble face hair (or when he's shaved his head), I just tell him it was a trap to tell if he was on my pillow. :lol:

Viscountess
February 18th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I pop out the roller of my dyson every time I use it. Every. Damned. Time. If I don't, my poor vaccum is very grumpy with me.

patienceneeded
February 18th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Between myself, DD6, and the German Shepherd, my house will never be hair-free. The shed fur from the dog alone could build us a replacement GSD in 2-3 days. It's like a war-zone here when it comes to fighting hair balls and dust-buddies (dogs name is Buddy, get it??). Draino MaxGel is my friend, as is the hose attachment on my vacuum. Hardwood floors here, so the fur and hair just floats around the floor. It could be worse...I could have carpet.

LadyLongLocks
February 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
My hair is everywhere. I use a wet sponge to gather it up before I vacuum, or in between. I cant believe how much I can gather.I clean my bathroom rug daily!

kpzra
February 18th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Between myself, DD6, and the German Shepherd, my house will never be hair-free. The shed fur from the dog alone could build us a replacement GSD in 2-3 days. It's like a war-zone here when it comes to fighting hair balls and dust-buddies (dogs name is Buddy, get it??). Draino MaxGel is my friend, as is the hose attachment on my vacuum. Hardwood floors here, so the fur and hair just floats around the floor. It could be worse...I could have carpet.

Ugh, I hate having carpet with our GSD. If this was our house I'd rip it out and put wood down.

patienceneeded
February 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Ugh, I hate having carpet with our GSD. If this was our house I'd rip it out and put wood down.

GSD's shed something awful, don't they? We have 1 rug and I have to vacuum it CONSTANTLY. I can't imagine dealing with his fur and wall-to-wall carpet.

airmid
February 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I haven't been managing mine well. ;) I live alone, though my partner lives next door and is often around- his hair is chin-length (so thick and healthy!!) and sheds in funny places too... between me, him, and the cat, this house is a hairy place sometimes. I try and gather/sweep the hairs up when I see them, and clean the drain when it gets clogged.
I'll never forget the time I was at a Yoga retreat, and a friend of mine said, "Ewww, I just found a hair in my mouth, and it isn't mine!" ...Guess who's hair it was? :o

samanthaj08
February 19th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I'll never forget the time I was at a Yoga retreat, and a friend of mine said, "Ewww, I just found a hair in my mouth, and it isn't mine!" ...Guess who's hair it was? :o

omg! Did you admit to it? lol

airmid
February 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
omg! Did you admit to it? lol

That I most certainly did! :D Hahaha, I was lucky it was a very good friend and not a stranger. But I put my hair up after that.

samanthaj08
February 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
That I most certainly did! :D Hahaha, I was lucky it was a very good friend and not a stranger. But I put my hair up after that.

haha! I don't blame you. I used to live at my exboyfriend's parents' house and his mom would do our laundry together. One of my hairs ended up on his underpants and I had to assure her I wasn't a ho. lolllllllllllllll mortifying

dwell_in_safety
February 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
My hair broke a belt in our vacuum cleaner the other day. lol. Have yet to replace it.

kpzra
February 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
GSD's shed something awful, don't they? We have 1 rug and I have to vacuum it CONSTANTLY. I can't imagine dealing with his fur and wall-to-wall carpet.

I've been known to vacuum him :lol: I was horrible when we moved from Alaska to Nevada in summer, it was a 50 degree temp change and Xerxes shed a TON. My husband brushes him outside only and it looks like some poor animal was mauled with all the fur flying around.

TheLuckyLurker
February 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Well, my hair isn't long yet, but I just spent almost a full minute using the tip of a butter knife to fish a hair out of a mostly empty jar of mayonnaise!

Cheele
February 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Haha oh my gosh. I've lived with my hair being everywhere since I was little. Both my mom (even though she doesn't have long hair) and I shed A TON. Like... we joke about how we're not bald because it just falls out in clumps and it's EVERYWHERE, haha. We both do have thick hair though. She has a MANE of hair. I recently got one of those little shower hair catchers and it has been a lifesaverrrrrrrrrr. I now do not have to clean out my drain every other day. It has caused me some paranoia, however, because I just see the MASS of hair I lose in the shower after every wash.. EEP.

Sorry for all my emphatic/capital words. I'm a little wired :face: