PDA

View Full Version : Hair that doesn't tangle..

wendylai
February 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I thought it would be interesting to hear about hairtypes that dont tangle. I wear my hair down everyday at home and a few times a week at the office. I'm still suprised at waist lenght I dont seem to get noticeable tangles / knots on my hair. I've been thinking weather this is because I have a "loose" tangliness filter or what is the reason others get them? Sure my hair looks a bit.. wurly and ***** after a while but normally it no problem fingercombing or brushing it gently.

I'm fine 1a/1b ii.. Normally I dont use a lot of products, some ends protection oilproduct maybe and the occassional volumizing product on the scalp. I really dont know what the secret is.. my hair is kinda slippery, but not super-slippery, more like some spitz-dogs hair :rolleyes:

door72067
February 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
under normal circumstances, I don't really tangle either, even whilst sleeping

but if it's windy, or a wear a high necked coat or something like that, I might get a few

according to a recent chart, I'm a 2a/2b

Jorja
February 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I don't tangle at night, and I sleep with my hair loose, I've given up trying to secure it for sleeping, it's just not comfortable. If I wear it down at work, it does tangle, as It swings against my ribbed cardigan, I picture it rolling into tiny dreads as I walk! I just like my hair down sometimes though, so I put up with it.

It's also dependant on the conditioner I've used. It tanlges less with cones. I flit between cones/cone free however I feel on wash day. I have thick medium/coarse hair with a slight wave. It's the last couple of inches that will tangle.

ladylowtide
February 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM
The only time my hair tangles is when it has braid waves in it.

My hair type is 1b, M, ii. It is definitely on the slippery side. It likes to come out of buns, and clips. I'm also cone-free.

catasa
February 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I have hair that I guess is somewhere between 2b-3a (depending on current "hair mood" etc), and it almost never tangles. Like door72067:s, it can get slightly tangled in the ends if it is windy for example, but it is usually easy to de-tangle those. It is a little strange I think because my hair is not really shiny or slippery, more to the dull and coarse side. It gets worse with build-up or when I use conditioners that does not suit my hair, but even in those cases it is not a big problem.

I have had lots of other trouble with my hair during the years with finding a good routine etc, so I guess that I (and the others who also escapes tangles) just have to thank our luck that at least this is not a problem for us :)

ravenheather
February 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM
My hair is slippery, 2a/f and I don't tangle very much. Of course I am only apl so length may be a factor.

UpNorth
February 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I have fine/medium, 1b, II hair and I normally don't get tangles. I do if I get product buildup and off course it can start tangle or look messy after a while but I just have to comb it through. My hair is bleached and partly damaged so I guess I can consider myself very lucky. When I had virgin shoulder length hair it tangled like crazy though, I hope it depended on what poducts I was using and the length, not the virgin hair as I'm growing it out:)

leslissocool
February 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I cut the damage off recently (6 inches) and it's at hip and it rarely tangles. It used to before like crazy but now it doesn't. My hair is really coarse.

jeanniet
February 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
My hair tangles very easily. I think this is a combination of having wurls, and also from having all three types of hairs (F, M, C) on my head. The F hairs tend to wrap themselves around the M/C hairs. I can ease detangling by light use of oils, but the hair itself still tangles up.

leslissocool
February 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
My hair tangles very easily. I think this is a combination of having wurls, and also from having all three types of hairs (F, M, C) on my head. The F hairs tend to wrap themselves around the M/C hairs. I can ease detangling by light use of oils, but the hair itself still tangles up.

The people I know who use the tangle teezer and have the most issues with tangles have multiples textures in their hair. My daughters hair tangles like crazy until I cut all Hera baby hair off. In one hair it was baby fine and became super coarse like mine, you can see the texture change. Her hair matted together to like a dread lock.

My son has super fine 1a hair and I rarely brush it isn't never tangles.

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I don't tangle real bad my hair is straight fine but on the thick side 3inch pony tail circumstance.

melusine963
February 15th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I'm seriously envious of everyone on this thread who's hair doesn't tangle. I have 2c hair, and the only way I can get away with wearing my hair loose is to sit still and not move my head or lean back against anything. *Sigh*

jeanniet
February 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM
The people I know who use the tangle teezer and have the most issues with tangles have multiples textures in their hair. My daughters hair tangles like crazy until I cut all Hera baby hair off. In one hair it was baby fine and became super coarse like mine, you can see the texture change. Her hair matted together to like a dread lock.

My son has super fine 1a hair and I rarely brush it isn't never tangles.

My son has very curly hair when it isn't buzzed off, and it never seems to tangle, but it's all coarse. He doesn't do a thing to it, other than S & C with cheap products. It's probably never been longer than 6" or so, but I know when my hair is a lot shorter it still tangles. Funnily enough, I always thought my hair was all C until I started growing it out and paid more attention to individual strands. I don't know why I never realized some of the hairs are twice as thick as others!

silverthread
February 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Generally, my hair doesn't tangle unless there's buildup on it. My hair is very fine, low porosity, ranges from 1b to 2c, and 20.5" long, and no damage that I can see.

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm another with few tangles. I have friends who complain about how their hair is tangled/matted at the base of their neck and I have NEVER had that. I wore a long wig with a costume and it tangled like I imagine their hair does and it made me want to throw it out after the first freaking day. I get some minor tangles, I can't run my hands straight through my hair until I've brushed it a few times. But I can wear it down to sleep and at work and at home and still have no noticeable tangling. I do use the knock-off tangle teezer for what little tangling I have because it's neat.

erialc
February 16th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I could go a month without brushing. It just doesn't tangle... no matter what I wear or how I wear it. Although atm the ends are in need of a little trim, so they kinda stick together. My hair type is a mix of F/M and 2Bish, sometimes 2A, sometimes 2C. It's very floaty and light.

Chromis
February 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I'm seriously envious of everyone on this thread who's hair doesn't tangle. I have 2c hair, and the only way I can get away with wearing my hair loose is to sit still and not move my head or lean back against anything. *Sigh*

I have 1c and I swear my hair tangles even when I am perfectly still. It tangles just moving it from over my shoulder to comb it to placing it behind me to put it up for the day! I think I have Medusa hair - each strand slithers around with a mind of its own! I got tangles even when it was super short too. I think it is a little better now that I can set it in my lap when sitting, but I dare not sleep with it loose.

When I read the thread title I was kind of like, "Hair that doesn't tangle?! Inconceivable!" :crazyq:

henné
February 16th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Tangles are my biggest enemy right now. It never tangled before until I hit BSL+ length, then it started out slowly and now, when I'm brushing hip, it tangles like mad. I'm getting a 1-2 inch trim very soon in hopes of minimizing the tangling. My hair is mostly medium coarseness, 2a and under normal conditions ii/iii.

lapushka
February 16th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I just don't know. My hair's never combed, until it's wash time, so right before a wash. By that time, my waves have almost all gone out of my hair (2a) and the few tangles there are are pretty much loosened. My hair's in updos 6 days out of 7, and it's put up loosely into a claw clip, yes, without combing it. I'm between hip & TBL and I have no problems with this routine.

Iolanthe13
February 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
My nape hair tangled more before henna, I think - it is still very fine, but there is more slip and a little less wave now. My 2c/F/ii virgin hair wasn't too bad at hip length, though it tangled some if I left it down all day (a rare occurrence). Now the mid-lengths and ends of my hair are still damaged from heat and dye (covered with henna), so they tangle and split easily. I'm keeping them in a bun until they learn to behave!

Naiadryade
February 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Before I joined LHC, my hair tangled like crazy. Then I started putting olive oil on it every few days. Now, under normal conditions, it doesn't really tangle. except for a few minor tangles at the ends, which are usually caused by split ends and always easy to finger-comb out without damage. It does tangle if there's a lot of friction and moving around: if I sleep, "cuddle" DBF, or wear a winter hat and scarf for several hours without braiding or bunning it, it will tangle. But usually I can still easily finger-comb these tangles out , compared to before when that kind of activity would mean a lot of breakage and lost hair in the long and frustrating detangling process.

Olive oil all the way! It's funny, because coconut oil made my hair tangle more.

ETA: when I say "normal conditions." this is with my hair down most of the time. I only really put it up when I'm doing something that increases tangle risk, such as the things I mentioned.

Oh yeah, and my hair is 2a/2b, M, ii/iii

MonaMayfair
February 17th, 2013, 06:39 AM
The only time in my life my hair hasn't tangled is when I had it cut short a few years ago. I remember screaming when my mom brushed my hair, and my dad yelling "cut it all off!" LOL!!
When I wear it loose, I just comb it a lot, if I didn't it would tangle up. I never get split ends however. My hair is fine and has a slight wave.

PraiseCheeses
February 17th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Hair that doesn't tangle is so far outside of my experience I can't even believe it really exists. :lol:

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I so wish I had hair that doesn't tangle! I'd trade it just for that, even if it meant that I lost my volume, thickness, and my ability to hold braids and any updos (I pretty much have grippy hairs).

Achlys
February 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM
My hair doesn't form bad tangles or knots, but it does clump together somewhat if I've been wearing it down for a while. That makes it look thinner, so I brush often. I have 1b fine hair. I still wish it was smoother, though.

Elanadi
February 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have fine TBL 1a ii hair, and it tangles like crazy at the nape of my neck. I rarely wear it down because even in the course of an afternoon it will start to mat. Ironically, the length doesn't seem to tangle anywhere near as bad as the hair at the back of my neck. I had been cone free, and just switched back; I'm curious to see if that helps at all.

majesticgoldenr
July 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM
If I can add my experience, what works for me is finger combing and oil-and-braid bunning for days on end, pretty much forgetting about it. I think that if I gave it more attention, there wouldnt be any hair left, if that makes sense, to risk a tangle even though my slippery hair almost always behaves.... My sister though, with thick and tangle-some hair would never be able to do this- her "mop" needs constant babysitting :)

Larki
July 15th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Mine doesn't tangle - the last time I had tangles, last summer, I had tried to go three days without brushing my hair, because I figured- hey, if it doesn't get tangled, and I'm not leaving the house, then why brush it? BAD idea. :p But as long I brush it at least twice a day, I keep the tangles away. I have slippery, fine, 1c hair.

Nadine <3
July 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I can wear my hair down all I want inside and it doesn't tangle at all. If I go outside and get caught in the wind though it does get tangled. Not horribly bad or anything, but more than I like dealing with so my hair goes up when I go outside. Unless, I pack my comb into my purse and I can sort it out from time to time but I only do that for special occasions.

DancingQueen
July 15th, 2014, 10:37 AM
It is very different when my har tangles, and when it doesn't. It kind of depends on its mood, I guess. :) it is worst in dry and windy climates though, so right now, it is horrible! Last night, I cold barely get a comb through it, and it just looks even worse. I have 2b/c hair.

mira-chan
July 15th, 2014, 10:49 AM
My hair doesn't tangle. A whole day with hair down maybe will get a little tiny tangle or two that I pick out while finger combing. Usually it's up in a braid, bun or braided bun, so it rare gets a chance to tangle anyway. The only time I have tangling issues is when it put something in it that it doesn't like (glycerin, anything the gooks it up) and even then all tangles are gone after wash. I usually finger comb every couple of days and comb maybe twice in the week between washes.

My hair is quite coarse.

Stray_mind
July 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hair that doesn't tangle? What do you eat it with?... Seriously though, my hair gets tangly super easily. It takes 5 minutes to keep them loose and it's full of tangles. It also clogs together and baaaah.... Does other annoying stuff that tangly hair do. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make them at least less tangly.

leilani
July 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I'm in this club. Tangles aren't a problem. I wear my hair loose.

Kina
July 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM
While I believe ppl who say theyir hair doesn't tangle, it feels like someone who has never seen snow trying to imagine it. If I start detangling on thevright side of my head, by the time I reach the left, its as if the right side had never been combed.

SunnyIC
July 15th, 2014, 11:36 AM
My hair doesn't tangle as much as it use to. Back when it was waist long (3-4 years ago) and I didn't know proper care, boy did it tangle! I have very tangly hair but I guess the oil, the loads of conditioner and the leave in help it not be that bad (also combs and no brushes). In the end proper care really does help my poor hair, after it dries it still tangles slightly when I comb it (only do it when it's mostly dry, after the shower it's finger combing) but it's not as bad as it use to be and now I know you don't rip through the tangles shudder:. The more I learn the better :)

ExpectoPatronum
July 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I used to have hair that didn't tangle. Then I hit mid-black length and now I'm starting to get tangles :(

However, maybe it's just time for a trim.

ravenheather
July 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
So from what I can tell from this thread, tangling has nothing to do with length, hair texture or trimming. Hmmm. I wonder what the secret tangle factor is?

lapushka
July 15th, 2014, 04:05 PM
So from what I can tell from this thread, tangling has nothing to do with length, hair texture or trimming. Hmmm. I wonder what the secret tangle factor is?

I believe it has a lot to do with silicones and conditioning, enough slip is key. My hair is conditioned twice after a wash, and after that gets a leave-in on top of that (from the LOC method), and so it has *tons* of slip. The comb just slides through to remove the sheds after it's been washed. It is amazing!

Kina
July 15th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I believe it has a lot to do with silicones and conditioning, enough slip is key. My hair is conditioned twice after a wash, and after that gets a leave-in on top of that (from the LOC method), and so it has *tons* of slip. The comb just slides through to remove the sheds after it's been washed. It is amazing!

Maybe, I can condition till the cows come home and it's the same. Honestly, though, my hair likes to wind around itself. It seems to want to make giant ringlets, but it's too wimpy to go the distance and winds up making marker size tunnels. My hair also will have a knot in 1 strand. How it does this is beyond me.

martyna_22
July 15th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I used to have hair that didn't tangle.. but it was heavily layered and slightly shorter then :( I will try to clarify soon, maybe it'll change something. Or I'll change my conditioning technique.. But then again, my hair gets overconditioned in no time. I wish I belonged here ;)

mira-chan
July 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM
While I believe ppl who say theyir hair doesn't tangle, it feels like someone who has never seen snow trying to imagine it. If I start detangling on thevright side of my head, by the time I reach the left, its as if the right side had never been combed.

When I was a kid my hair used to tangle badly. Not quite as bad but a nice huge knot be end of day, even when kept in a braid. It was also about medium strand thickness, not coarse, and straighter then. I also didn't like combs for a good long time. Tangles were so bad sometimes that they had to be cut out. I'm quite happy my hair doesn't do that anymore.

I conditioned then and now. I also can omit conditioner now and won't get a huge increase in tangles. I do not use silicones and I'm sensitive to them (Itchy!). I get more tangling from the LOC method. I think I have contrarian hair. It's wavy but doesn't want to clump in waves/ curls. Opposite of yours, Kina, it appears. I just get a cloud of fluff.

blace
July 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I cannot remember the last time I had a tangle.
I'm just past APL so I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor. Also, I condition quite a bit (cones included). After every shampoo, then a leave-in and a deep once a week. Post shower, my wooden wide tooth comb slides through without any resistance.

I'm a hair stylist and in my experience dealing with various hair types daily, those with the most tangle issues seem to have either very fine hair or very damaged hair...

Kina
July 16th, 2014, 03:03 PM
When I was a kid my hair used to tangle badly. Not quite as bad but a nice huge knot be end of day, even when kept in a braid. It was also about medium strand thickness, not coarse, and straighter then. I also didn't like combs for a good long time. Tangles were so bad sometimes that they had to be cut out. I'm quite happy my hair doesn't do that anymore.

I conditioned then and now. I also can omit conditioner now and won't get a huge increase in tangles. I do not use silicones and I'm sensitive to them (Itchy!). I get more tangling from the LOC method. I think I have contrarian hair. It's wavy but doesn't want to clump in waves/ curls. Opposite of yours, Kina, it appears. I just get a cloud of fluff.

Both of my sisters and my daughter's hair are the same as mine (they just have about twice the amount of hair that i do).

Does your hair float? Mine does (and attacks).

Kina
July 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I cannot remember the last time I had a tangle.
I'm just past APL so I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor. Also, I condition quite a bit (cones included). After every shampoo, then a leave-in and a deep once a week. Post shower, my wooden wide tooth comb slides through without any resistance.

I'm a hair stylist and in my experience dealing with various hair types daily, those with the most tangle issues seem to have either very fine hair or very damaged hair...

lucky duck! (I now have envy) I've never met a brush or comb I didn't hate. I do have fine hair, but not extraordinarily so.

vindo
July 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM
My hair doesn't tangle much.

I can't say not at all, because wind and rubbing can cause some tangles, but they are easily removed. From just wearing it down it doesn't tangle.

But, I have had times where my hair was more prone to tangles. Like when I had problems with my thyroid my hair was more dry, prone to splits and tangles too. It also grew in a bit more coarse and "squiggly". Since my thyroid healed (yes, healed unbelievably so, Hashimoto's can't be detected anymore) my texture has went back to its silky old self for the most part. At least the new growth.

Before health issues, my hair was very slippery and silky and pretty much never tangled at classic- upper thigh length. Just my personal experience. It seems my thyroid affected my texture a lot.

Kina
July 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
My hair doesn't tangle much.

I can't say not at all, because wind and rubbing can cause some tangles, but they are easily removed. From just wearing it down it doesn't tangle.

But, I have had times where my hair was more prone to tangles. Like when I had problems with my thyroid my hair was more dry, prone to splits and tangles too. It also grew in a bit more coarse and "squiggly". Since my thyroid healed (yes, healed unbelievably so, Hashimoto's can't be detected anymore) my texture has went back to its silky old self for the most part. At least the new growth.

Before health issues, my hair was very slippery and silky and pretty much never tangled at classic- upper thigh length. Just my personal experience. It seems my thyroid affected my texture a lot.

You have lovely hair, Emichee

mira-chan
July 16th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Both of my sisters and my daughter's hair are the same as mine (they just have about twice the amount of hair that i do).

Does your hair float? Mine does (and attacks).

It does attack and each hair kind of floats away from other hairs. My mum describes it as a cloud of hair at times and that it "floats" behind me. So I guess it does. As for attacks, my poor husband gets eaten by it if it's loose.

ETA: You can kinda see some of the float in my current signature. The hair periphery looks a little "fuzzy" because of it. This was on really deep conditioned, lightly oiled hair too. So minimized but not gone.

blace
July 16th, 2014, 09:17 PM
lucky duck! (I now have envy) I've never met a brush or comb I didn't hate. I do have fine hair, but not extraordinarily so.

No envy necessary. I'm sure that I'll have my fair share of tangles once I reach your (enviable) length!

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I’m glad there’s a thread on this! My hair doesn’t really tangle. Before this wooden brush I recently bought, along with a wide tooth comb, I never brushed/combed my hair ever before lol. Weird, but I didn’t need to. I still don’t really need to, but prefer a different styling routine now. Back then without them, it was still slippery, with all the random conditioners I’d use.

But yeah anyway, I’ve been wondering about this lately since many talk about over-night tangles, etc. Yesterday after a vet appointment, it was extremely windy outside. I mean, my hair was just about choking me lol, and covering my whole face, whipping around in the wind. I was thinking about the tangles I might get, but when I did get home, it really didn’t take much effort to brush a tiny bit longer than usual. No “real” tangles.

I’ve come to learn that sometimes “deviant” routines are what suit certain hair types best. The only time I’ve experienced true tangling was from having my hair braided overnight. For me, sleeping with it loose is ideal. Additionally, updo styles mean major upcoming headaches for me, so wearing my hair down almost all the time is also ideal for me. Regular microtrimming helps out the ends, which don’t really need help anymore at this point. My hair looks very healthy, and this is just what works. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one finding out these things lol!

Adding on: this also reminds me of people who barely put any effort into their long hair, yet stil have it so thick and luscious. I personally have a few friends like that. My own mom is one of those people lol. While I still definitely have to care for my hair in other ways, it’s nice to know how incredibly versatile haircare is :)

ravenskey
April 17th, 2018, 02:27 PM
I am seriously in awe of people whose hair doesn't tangle. :agape:

My hair is the exact opposite of this - it just loves to cling to itself (which makes doing any kind of root braid a real PITA).

I would give almost anything to be in this club.

lucid
April 17th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Length is definetly a contributing factor, along with hairtype, health of hair, products used, water quality and probably other factors as well.

My hair started tangling the tiniest bit at around apl and then more and more the longer my hair grew. I never saw the point in using conditioner, as my hair was tangle free and smooth no matter what I did. I started using conditioner at around apl. I used to always wear my hair down, and tangles was never an issue. However, wearing my hair down now always creates tangles, especially if it's windy, so I don't wear it down as much anymore. This was never an issue when my hair was shorter, but started becoming a hassle at around hip length.

I still don't get a lot of tangles though, even now when my hair is TBL and the bottom 3 inches are pretty damaged. I usually detangle in the shower while distributing the conditioner (3-5 minutes). My hair also tangles a lot more of it's dirty.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Wind, and wearing coats or jackets with thicker collars causes tangles at the nape of my neck. Otherwise, my hair doesn't tangle these days. It did when I was coloring and heat styling, but not anymore.

lucid
April 17th, 2018, 03:22 PM
But yeah anyway, I’ve been wondering about this lately since many talk about over-night tangles, etc. Yesterday after a vet appointment, it was extremely windy outside. I mean, my hair was just about choking me lol, and covering my whole face, whipping around in the wind. I was thinking about the tangles I might get, but when I did get home, it really didn’t take much effort to brush a tiny bit longer than usual. No “real” tangles.

What do you mean by real or true tangles?

When my hair tangles in the wind, they come out easily. It usually takes just a couple of minutes to brush out my hair, and I'm always super careful. I still consider them to be true tangles. They would dread eventually if I didn't take care of them. I get more resistant tangles at the nape when wearing my hair braided or if I'm wearing my hair down with a hooded sweater or something, but they only take a couple of minutes to remove by hand.

I consider my hair to be tangled when I can't run my fingers through it smoothly. I hate it when my fingers catch in my hair, worst feeling ever :p

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 06:08 PM
What do you mean by real or true tangles?

When my hair tangles in the wind, they come out easily. It usually takes just a couple of minutes to brush out my hair, and I'm always super careful. I still consider them to be true tangles. They would dread eventually if I didn't take care of them. I get more resistant tangles at the nape when wearing my hair braided or if I'm wearing my hair down with a hooded sweater or something, but they only take a couple of minutes to remove by hand.

I consider my hair to be tangled when I can't run my fingers through it smoothly. I hate it when my fingers catch in my hair, worst feeling ever :p

Like if I didn't do anything, after a while they'd go away on there own lol. It takes me seconds to detangle with a brush or comb, which I prefer after showers. Running my fingers slowly through the length works too. I personally consider true tangles like what I've experienced with overnight braids.

I feel you there!

Wendyp
April 17th, 2018, 06:18 PM
I don’t think my hair tangled much, always thought it was odd..

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 06:23 PM
I don’t think my hair tangled much, always thought it was odd..

Yeah, I still find it odd every now and then! Especially after super windy experiences :suspect:

lucid
April 17th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Like if I didn't do anything, after a while they'd go away on there own lol. It takes me seconds to detangle with a brush or comb, which I prefer after showers. Running my fingers slowly through the length works too. I personally consider true tangles like what I've experienced with overnight braids.

I feel you there!

Yeah, I agree if they go away on their own! Once I grow out the bleach damage I think most of my tangles will behave that way, as it's always the bleached parts that gets tangled (apart from friction tangles at the nape). I hope so at least :)

I usually don't comb my hair at all, unless it's extra tangled. It's tangle free after shower, and for some reason my hair always dries without tangles. Sometimes I find a tangle or two in the shower, but they usually slide out on their own when conditioner is applied.

Do you notice any difference in how much your hair tangles when it's clean compared to greasy/dirty? I very rarely get tangles in freshly clean hair, but the longer it's been since it's been washed, the easier it tangles. I don't know why that is, the length doesn't look dirty or greasy, so maybe it's a moisture issue?

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 17th, 2018, 07:05 PM
My hair is very slippery so I think it falls under this category.
I detangle or brush maybe once a month just for the heck of it.
But for the most part, if I get a knot it’s because I have lint stuck on a strand.
Or low and behold, I have a fairy knot. But that’s about it. My hair is pretty easy to detangle.
Knots were only bad once when max rented a convertible and rode the HWY going 90 with the top down..
My hair was down which was a big big mistake!!! Lol. Learned my lesson there.

However, this doesn’t mean I don’t get split ends or damage.
My hair just is easy to detangle because it’s slippery.
Which also makes it really hard to keep up though, slips out of everything!

lithostoic
April 17th, 2018, 07:15 PM
This is SO not my life lol. Envious of you guys.

Spikey
April 17th, 2018, 09:03 PM

Me too, I didn't even realize it was possible to have hair longer than APL that doesn't tangle! By no tangles, do you mean if you comb your hair, the comb never gets stuck?

Beeboo123
April 17th, 2018, 11:19 PM
What is a “real” tangle? I consider my hair tangled when I can’t run my comb or fingers smoothly through, which is most of the time. But I have never gotten mats or dreads, or anything that required substantial effort to detangle, as long as I don’t wear anything that causes too much rubbing or let my hair get blown about in the wind. My hair is very slippery, so I just need to gently pull the tangle apart with my fingers.

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I agree if they go away on their own! Once I grow out the bleach damage I think most of my tangles will behave that way, as it's always the bleached parts that gets tangled (apart from friction tangles at the nape). I hope so at least :)

I usually don't comb my hair at all, unless it's extra tangled. It's tangle free after shower, and for some reason my hair always dries without tangles. Sometimes I find a tangle or two in the shower, but they usually slide out on their own when conditioner is applied.

Do you notice any difference in how much your hair tangles when it's clean compared to greasy/dirty? I very rarely get tangles in freshly clean hair, but the longer it's been since it's been washed, the easier it tangles. I don't know why that is, the length doesn't look dirty or greasy, so maybe it's a moisture issue?

Ooh yes! I harshly bleached for 10+ years and it's only since late last year that the damage is nearly all gone. Hair is so much softer and sleeker, you'll love it :) And nice! My hair doesn't get tangled in the shower either, but I like to comb it out pretty straight for styling.

I could be wrong here, but in my experience:
My hair also becomes difficult when it's pretty dirty (so I try to never let it get there, and wash it often), and I'm pretty sure it's because it's matted up by that point (old sebum, general dirt from the environment, lint, any hair product build up, etc.), that even if it looks flat and greasy or normal, the hair cuticles aren't as smooth anymore. Unlike a clean, smooth hair shaft, it's roughed up (as in, unevenly covered up) by all sorts of material, and the silicones from conditioners have most likely evaporated, depending on many things. And on days that the the length itself doesn't look dirty and it's just the average greasy scalp, everything is still being combed out and spread all over the strands, leading to messy detangling, since I'm not just combing hair, but hair plus a bunch of other random bits. Even if the scalp isn't touched by the comb, the sebum etc. has still been travelling down the length and matting everything up for the past few days. Because of this, I can't go 3+ days without an oily mess lol. I personally don't benefit from stretching washes if it means tangle-prone hair and an irritated, matted scalp. Jealous of those who don't experience that!

But yeah anyway, there's a girl on youtube who became pretty popular for her nice, extremely smooth and shiny long hair, and she always mentioned she uses random cheap shampoos, washes daily, and never brushes/combs it. I've learned every hair type has its own unique needs :) When my hair is being difficult, it's a sign to me that I'm probably doing something that simply doesn't suit it.

...My hair just is easy to detangle because it’s slippery.
Which also makes it really hard to keep up though, slips out of everything!

Totally get you, my hair slips out of everything rather easily -I'm always impressed when it stays up with hair sticks for more than 10 minutes :p

Aww, nothing to be envious of! I mean, most people I know irl are out frying their hair daily just to achieve your hair texture ;) Myself having been one of them, lol.

Me too, I didn't even realize it was possible to have hair longer than APL that doesn't tangle! By no tangles, do you mean if you comb your hair, the comb never gets stuck?

Personally, I only use a comb after showers, but my brush/fingers do make it through after windy moments without really jamming in the hair.

Glitch
April 17th, 2018, 11:39 PM
What is a “real” tangle? I consider my hair tangled when I can’t run my comb or fingers smoothly through, which is most of the time. But I have never gotten mats or dreads, or anything that required substantial effort to detangle, as long as I don’t wear anything that causes too much rubbing or let my hair get blown about in the wind. My hair is very slippery, so I just need to gently pull the tangle apart with my fingers.

Ah I had just mentioned it that way because if I don't do anything to my hair, it will "untangle" itself after some time anyway. If it won't go away until I manually work with it, that's when I personally consider it a true tangle on myself (which I've experienced with certain overnight styles). If my hair looks a bit wild after being beat up by the wind lol, yet I can still run my fingers through without trouble to smooth it out, or it'll go back to normal on its own, than to me, it's not truly tangled.

leayellena
April 18th, 2018, 07:14 AM
My hair tangles at the boyscout level (neck length). Brushing my hair just. Don't. Works.
I use a comb and I am fine with it. But flipping my hair back for volume results into a mass of frizz like a brushed curly hair. It calms down after 15 Min.
I discovered that I have to give up combing altogether if I want to French braid my hair.
My hair hates to be handled when wet.
My hair is fine but not super fine! Thank God.
My hair doesn't tangle when I make an English braid

manticore
April 18th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Course hair, straight, non slippery, mid back length.

Sleep on it loose and can run my fingers through in the morning. Leave it down and it’ll just need a bit of finger detangling at the end of the day.

It never really looks silky though, unless I’ve thoroughly brushed it 2 seconds ago. At 3 seconds it goes back to looking coarse and crazy :p But I sort of like the wild look. In a professional setting I do have to braid or bun it though