PDA

View Full Version : Where do you wash your hair?

cobden 28
February 15th, 2013, 05:02 AM
It isn't easy to wash waist or longer length hair in a basin, is it ladies, so where and how do you all on this forum wash your hair?

Ideally I like to wash my hair in the shower, as it's a whole lot easier to rinse the shampoo & conditioner out of long hair, but I've been waiting a couple of years for my husband to replace our broken shower base so have had to wash my hair in the bathtub upstairs instead. The problem there is in rinsing properly; our old taps were stiff and difficult to turn off properly - especially the cold tap - unless I was prepared to rinse with scalding hot water (NOT!)

As I'v e had a stroke a few years back and on bad days don't have much use of my left hand, Mike has recently replaced the bath taps with nice lever taps which he says can be turned on & off with your feet if necessary (:eek: ) - and which I find ever so much easier to turn on and off single-handedly. Now I can rinse the shampoo remains out of my hair properly, so hopefully no more itchy scalp!

Mind you, Mike's next DIY task is to get that shower base fitted.

Kelikea
February 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I use the shower, but I love it when I have access to a removable shower head. That makes rinsing the scalp so easy!

torrilin
February 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM
I usually keep a large plastic glass (say about 500-650mL?) in the bathroom so it's handy if I need help rinsing my hair. Rather than just pouring water over my hair to rinse, I gather my hair into a ponytail and just drop it into the glass of water. Obviously, one needs to leave some space for your hair, or you risk spills. It's possible you might need one of those more bucket like 1L plastic glasses if your hair is very thick or very long indeed, but you don't actually need tons and tons of water to rinse the length.

When I'm done rinsing the tail, I pick up the glass and hold it to my scalp, and then bend forward so I can use the same water to rinse my scalp.

Working this way, I can wash my hair with about 1.5-2L of water, even tho it's past waist length. I don't usually wash in such a careful way, but it's nice to have the option of clean hair even if I'm down to one hand or I need to be very careful about water use.

Depending on how the stroke has affected your mobility tho, this may or may not work for you. I know some posters use squeeze bottles like the ones for ketchup or hair dye application for diluting shampoo and applying it to their scalps, and that solution seems like it could be helpful for rinsing as well. It might be more attainable on bad days? I know strokes can cause a lot of coordination problems, and I'm sure that can't be fun.

rtree721
February 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM
I wash in the shower. I have a removable shower head and it makes it so easy.

katiebeans
February 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I wash in the shower. My mom has always washed her hair in the sink, and when I was young she tried several times washing mine in the sink but I always ended up with a bird's nest on my head :mad: I don't know how people do it!

Dorothy
February 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM
In the claw foot bathtub, I have no shower. It works out fine, I use an enamel pitcher to get clean water from the tap and pour it over my hair. I'm not sure how this will work after tailbone, if I get that far. I think it will just get messier, I can stand up and do this with the pitcher but a lot more water ends up outside the tub.

PixxieStix
February 15th, 2013, 08:49 AM
My hair is a couple inches from BSL, and I wash in the shower, I can see as it gets longer it might start becoming a pain because it gets really heavy when wet. On the other hand, I don't know of many different ways to wash my hair, doing it in the sink always seemed awkward for me, and I can't imagine doing it with even longer hair.

trolleypup
February 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Shower. Multiple showerheads and removables...one is essentially a water jet for scalp rinsing...the shower enclosure is pretty important!

I'll tell anyone who asks that having multiple independently controlled (movable) shower heads is probably the most useful and pleasant improvement to a fully functioning bathroom.

IndigoOptimist
February 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I like the shower, although I don't have long hair I still find it much easier to wash my hair in the shower. However we've recently got a new shower head (no idea why, the old one was FINE, but my boyfriends mum wanted a nice new one :mad:) and it's not as powerful as the last, so getting shampoo/conditioner out of my hair is now not so easy. It's like I'm standing in rain waiting for it to rinse out my hair :/

ladylowtide
February 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I wash my hair in the shower, the removable shower head is essential for getting my scalp clean.

starlamelissa
February 15th, 2013, 09:49 AM
In the shoewer, I need that removable shower head to clean my hair.

Occasionally in the bath, but I stand up to rinse with the shower head.

door72067
February 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
usually the shower, but sometimes the sink

I am getting to where sink washing will no longer be possible, tho

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I use the tub except one time I used the wash basin.

Neneka
February 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have always washed my hair in the shower (or in a lake or just in sauna with a bucket and a ladle). I have always had removable shower head.

melusine963
February 15th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I use the shower, but I love it when I have access to a removable shower head. That makes rinsing the scalp so easy!

I second the removable shower head appreciation. Having one means I can direct the water to keep my hair dry on days I don't want to wash it, without having to resort to a shower cap.

DarkCurls
February 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I've always had a removable shower head. :p Never thought anything of it, it just seemed natural! Though honestly non-removable ones don't bother me at all; sometimes I enjoy having both hands free.
I wash in the tub with a shower head. Or in the shower at school (boarding school).

I've been wanting to look into sink washing because we have a sink in our room at school and it would be so much more practical than having to pick shed hairs out of the (shared) shower stall every time I wash, but I haven't found much information. I do want to try, but I'm a bit chicken.

spirals
February 16th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I've always done it in-shower, and always had bathtub/shower combos. I don't have a removeable shower head, but don't need one. It's adjustable, so I can aim the spray as far back or toward the front as I need. If I don't want my hair wet, I don't stick my head under it. That's harder in a shower-only stall.

Mesmerise
February 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Can you get one of those shower heads that attaches to the bath tap? We used to have one when I was a kid. In fact, my dad installed a tap that had a shower head attached... you could either raise a little knob or lower it... (I can't remember which was which) when it was one way water would come out of the tap normally and fill the bath, and the other it would come out the shower head!! This way we could rinse our hair when having a bath.

Natalia
February 16th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Shower with a removeable head

Chromis
February 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM
In the shower, with a mesh basket to catch shed hairs from going down the drain. I have a removable showerhead but do not use it for normal washing. My hair is not that thick so water runs down it just fine. It does come in handy for henna! When I have lived places that had only a bathtub I used a pitcher to pour water over my head.

I have never used a basin and that sounds terribly awkward.

Mandie
February 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
It never even occurred to me that other people might use something other than a regular shower. O_O I've washed in a sink a few times, when I was younger, but my hair kept going down the drain and that freaks me out in a BIG way so I just use the shower.

Kizuna
February 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM
In Sweden it's common to have a bathtub with a shower head attached to the tap and that way you can stand and shower (like in a shower) or take a bath, (or sit in the bathtub and rise your hair with the shower head). That's what I've got in my apartment. :) It's fabulous!

Sharysa
February 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I've always washed my hair in the shower, aside from when the showerhead broke and I had to take baths instead. Sure, my hair's getting heavy just at mid-back length, but at least it gets rinsed properly in a shower.

UpNorth
February 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
In Sweden it's common to have a bathtub with a shower head attached to the tap and that way you can stand and shower (like in a shower) or take a bath, (or sit in the bathtub and rise your hair with the shower head). That's what I've got in my apartment. :) It's fabulous!

Same here! I'm to lazy to stand through every step in my bathing routine and I never turn off the water either. I end up taking a bath almost every time.

Finoriel
February 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe that's a city or modern house thing? I don't know many people who have a bathtub actually, but then I'm far out in the woods and houses tend to be small and in need of modernizing.

I wash my hair in the shower, removable/adjustable shower head.
And on occasion when I just do a scalp wash without washing the length I'll squeeze my head under the tap in the sink while securing the end of my braid under my belt. But that's killing my back so I don't do that very often. And no, there won't be pictures :lol:

Chromis
February 16th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Maybe that's a city or modern house thing? I don't know many people who have a bathtub actually, but then I'm far out in the woods and houses tend to be small and in need of modernizing.

I wash my hair in the shower, removable/adjustable shower head.
And on occasion when I just do a scalp wash without washing the length I'll squeeze my head under the tap in the sink while securing the end of my braid under my belt. But that's killing my back so I don't do that very often. And no, there won't be pictures :lol:

Here in Canada and the US, many houses have either one or two washrooms. If there is just one, they often have a combination bathtub/shower which pretty much everyone uses only as a shower. They aren't actually very comfortable as bathtubs! If there is a second or more, then those normally have a shower stall, no tub standing room only. Fancy rich people houses sometimes have a master bathroom attached to the main bedroom with a whirlpool tub in the corner *and* a shower stall. USAians and Canadians tend to be pretty overboard when it comes to house size in general and place a lot of importance on the size of the kitchen and bathrooms.

I've never quite understood washing in the sink since I don't know how to keep the hair from going down the drain when the water is let out, plus the height seems so awkward. I'm pretty sure I would have the whole washroom covered in water :lol:

Olavi
February 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I usually wash my hair at the shower. But in warm summer days, at our summer house, I might wash my hair in lake. Or in shower, in case of bad weather. The water comes from the same lake and it makes my hair feel lovely <3

Edit. OOOO, I forgot! I also wash my hair in our sauna :D Well, it's more like rinsing...

*Rose Red*
February 17th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I might wash my hair in lake.
with shampoo and all that stuff? isnīt it bad for the water in the lake? but the idea sounds great :)
I wash my hair when Iīm standing in the shower.

Olavi
February 17th, 2013, 05:04 AM
with shampoo and all that stuff? isnīt it bad for the water in the lake? but the idea sounds great :)
I wash my hair when Iīm standing in the shower.

I don't use shampoo ;) I have been almost 100% WO last two years (I have had some accidents with oils and other stuff and had to wash with soap).
My parent's however wash their hair in lake WITH shampoo, and I have tried to make them stop but they wont listen =___=

EtherealDoll
February 17th, 2013, 05:13 AM

It's common here in Ukraine as well. I usually end up taking a bath whenever I wash my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I use the shower with removable showerhead- I can't imagine doing it any other way...

lydiajo
February 17th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I've always washed my hair in the shower. Often I shower and then soak in the bath. I want my hot tub back.

Achlys
February 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I, too, wash my hair in the shower. But I have stopped running a lot of hot water through my hair. Now it's clipped to the top of my hair with conditioner in it for most of the time. Yeah, I take long showers and kind of meditate there. I CO twice, so I let my hair down twice for rinsing.

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 03:53 PM
My hair is not long enough to explore washing it in buckets, basins, or anywhere outside of a shower or tub. I'll probably try some of the methods mentioned in here once my hair gets past waist.

LadyLongLocks
February 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I always wash my hair in the shower. I always use a water filter too.