PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever changed your hair goal?

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 03:56 AM
If you have changed your hair goal, was it a longer length or a shorter length? What was your reason? I'm thinking of changing my goal from Waist to Mid-Back Length because I get so many tangles and I spend around 2 hours detangling shoulder length hair.

Kwantslonghair
February 15th, 2013, 04:02 AM
My goal was waist and I am hovering there now. After I spend some time here to thicken my ends. I think I would like hip length. Mine does not tangle very much. I got up yesterday morning and didn't comb my hair at all. It looked great right outta bed. Finally combed before bed. Just a couple small tangles at neckline.

DancingQueen
February 15th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Heh, I have done that a few times lately. My original goal was hip, as I have always have a dream of having hip-length hair. It is just such a beautiful length, and I want to have it at least once in my life. My goal right now is BSL, but that might be more of a mini-goal. I think I will finally feel it is long when I hit that length, so I am really looking forward to it! :)

However, I am toying with the idea of growing to terminal. It would be fun to see how long it can grow. There is a few problems though.

1) The most common length here is MBL at most, but most girls wear it even shorter. I am afraid that if I grow to terminal, people will think I am wired. (which I may be, but I don't have to make it that obvious. :p )
2) I am not sure I will be able to take care of it - I can barely handle it at APL+, so how could I possibly handle it at an even longer length, lol.
3) As I am studying to be a physiotherapist, some parts of the job may be very difficult to do with really long hair.

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 04:32 AM
I'm aiming for tail bone. I haven't changed it yet but if it becomes impossible I might grow to waist.

cobden 28
February 15th, 2013, 04:53 AM
First of all I wanted to get my hair to my waist, which I think I now have done, BUT I'm thinking I'll need about 3 - 4" cut off the ends as they're a bit thin and wispy, and I do like to see long hair that's nice and thick right to the ends.

Once I've got the bottom length of my hair all nice and thick and even, I want to be able to sit on the ends and for this to be obvious to the public too.

shutterpillar
February 15th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I began growing when I was at APL, and to me waist seemed soooooooo long, so that was my initial goal. Then I decided my goal should be TBL. Then I decided - well - maybe I should see how it looks when I get to hip since my hair is so fine. So now my ultimate goal is hip length with completely virgin hair, which will take a while. lol. For now, my goal is to get to hip with as thick a hemline as I can get.

torrilin
February 15th, 2013, 05:28 AM
My goals don't usually fit in the goal box since they're not strictly length goals. My primary all the time goal is to have hair that's comfortable for me. Since I have really fine really dry hair, it's tangle prone and split end prone. I've had detangling take over 8 hours at BSL. That is pretty much the opposite of comfortable for me, so normally my hair is kept contained in some way that keeps tangling to a minimum so I don't go on crying jags and chop off my hair because of the tangles. (the bout of 8 hour detangling was after being sick and in bed with my hair loose for a couple days straight... it was just the cherry on top of a sundae of suck... so since then I've been more proactive about putting my hair into containment if I'm getting sick or I know I won't be able to deal)

When I first got here, I had a mini-goal of waist length hair since I was at BSL, and had been at BSL a lot, but I'd never had waist length hair. That was pretty easy to hit. A related goal was to not panic chop my hair because I hadn't worked out what works for me at waist, and that was a lot harder. I trimmed a lot over the past year to keep my hair close to waist while I adapted to the longer length.

My next mini-goal was to have hair that touches my butt. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by this even :). Currently my hair can just brush the top tho and I am pretty happy with the length. Goal achieved maybe? *shrugs*

As my hair has gotten longer, I've been enjoying having my single and twin braids creeping around my head. I have feeling that the right place to stop growing is about when my single braid wraps the whole way around my head. Again, somewhat vague goal, but for most women that's somewhere in the tailbone to classic range. Could I grow longer? Probably. But given that I bike a lot and my bike is my car, there are concerns besides just length. And I really do *like* being able to fit buns under my helmet while still having a good fit...

I don't think a plain and simple length goal would be very satisfying for me. My hair and I sort of have a deal... I let it grow like a weed coz it's good at that, and I'm not mean to it, and in return it doesn't try to ruin my life. My hair is totally capable of trying to ruin my life at pixie with tangles and splits, so I'm not going to risk it getting the idea that I just want one thing.

yoni
February 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Sure! I've started at wanting to get it to shoulder blades, when it got there I wanted my hair to my lower back, and now that's it's quite past that I just don't want my hair to stop! but I guess it would be nice to have it to my knees/ankles :)

erialc
February 15th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I change it all the time... One day I think BSL will be enough, the other I dream of hip length and sometimes I even play with the idea of getting to classic. The only consistent goal I have is to keep it as healthy as possible, and never value length over health. I'd much rather have nice and healthy-looking hair at APL, than dry and broken hair at waist.

Miss Maisie
February 15th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Oh yeah. Several times!

My first goal was APL. Then it was one length, virgin BSL. Then I realized that my fine hair looks terrible one length, so I got some layers and bangs. I will NEVER be without those two things again. I decided that I wasn't going to trim until BSL, but guess what? My hair looked awful without occasional trims. I still kind of think I want to be BSL, but at this point I'm trimming my hair as needed to cut off heat damage/splits. I'll probably get to BSL sometime in the next few months, but I'm not in a rush. I just want my hair to be healthy and look good. Most of all, I want to enjoy my hair at every length.

I have kept my goal of not coloring my hair. I thought I hated my hair color, but I actually kind of like it (dark, dark brown that gets more of an auburn tint towards the ends, and quite a bit of silver mixed in!). I never use a curling iron or a flat iron, but I do blow my hair dry once a week or so.

door72067
February 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I thought it was firmly at *waist* but now I'm thinking I'd like *waist* when I pull it to the front, which I ~think~ might be about hip/tailbone in back

I'm still working on when to cut out the old dyed hair...I'll work on length goals after that's all gone

kitschy
February 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Every time I have reached a goal, I set a new one.

trolleypup
February 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I've never really had a goal besides "longer"...at least since my last major (bad) haircut, and even that was a frustration cut.

"Longer" remained my goal during my years long stall that I thought was terminal.

I was already past BSL when it first even occurred to me to think about how long I might want it.

Loreley
February 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
My first goal length was 50", I reached that a year ago. Then I decided to maintain and thicken up the ends. Now they are getting pretty thick (compared to what they were like), so my new goal is 54", which is a bit past knee when wet and about knee when I stand straight and my hair has bun or braid waves.
But I'm sure that in a couple of years I'll cut back to classic or tailbone because it's already very uncomfortable to wear my hair down.

starlamelissa
February 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I have wanted tailbone since l joined here. I was bsl then, and a skip and hop away from tailbone now!!!!

SnowWhite
February 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM
My first goal was waist. Now, in my growth spurt I'm almost at BSL. I dream about hip length or a V hemline at tailbone would be lovely! I don't think I would go past tailbone. I'm not sure though... Perhaps I'll stick to waist.

Magalo
February 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm at midback now and I always wanted waist without thinking about it too much. Now I really, really want lower back/hips. I just don't want to sit on it!

melusine963
February 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
My goal is tailbone, and I'm almost there. I've toyed with the idea of letting it grow longer than that - I'm honestly curious what my terminal length would be. However, I'd rather spend a year or two at TBL thickening my ends, and then reassess.

DarkCurls
February 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I kind of always knew I wanted long hair... I thought hip would be long enough. It's starting to look short now.

Having joined LHC, my goal has changed like this: "I want hip!" => "Well, BCL is looking nice..." => "Tailbone! Because 'Butt-crack length' just sounds ugly'" => "Classic is so romantic..." => "Well, let's just wait and see."

My longest layer is at hip when wet, but I won't be there dry for a while yet, so I have all the time in the world to decide. I think I'll see what length I like when I get there. I'm honestly lusting after TBL+ now. Maybe I'll be curious enough to push to terminal, just to see where that is.

My goal is "long." I'll figure it out when I get there!

Sharysa
February 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM
My minimum goal has always been waist-length waves, which would be around hip or tailbone with my usual not-quite-wavy texture, but I'm constantly hovering between "LET'S GET CLASSIC-LENGTH WAVES" or "Maybe just hip or tailbone-length waves? That's still eye-catching." Hence why everything past waist-length waves are listed as "optional" in my sig.

Occasionally an errant thought of "I'm five feet tall, let's see what my terminal length is" creeps in.

However, I would leave the ultimate length to three things: "Keeping it healthy," "What I'm willing to put up with," and "Not a safety hazard." Seeing as I'm studying theater, there are a LOT of bad scenarios on how my hair can accidentally get caught in something backstage. Or ON stage.

Majala
February 15th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I wanted mid-back long hair for as long as I can remember. I was mostly somewhere between apl and bsl, with splits and tangles. 3 months ago I've cut my hair to midway between chin and collarbone and I started to love shorter hair. It doesn't get caught in zippers and bag-straps, it feels light and free. So yes, my length goal changed, I don't even have one anymore. I just want my hair to be healthy and easy manageable even when wearing it down all the time, so anything longer than apl is too long for me.

rowie
February 15th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Ever since I grew out from a buzz, I haven't cut my hair, and I plan to continue to grow my hair.

goldloli
February 15th, 2013, 04:37 PM
If you have changed your hair goal, was it a longer length or a shorter length? What was your reason? I'm thinking of changing my goal from Waist to Mid-Back Length because I get so many tangles and I spend around 2 hours detangling shoulder length hair.
★I have curly hair that is a mixture of 3c, 3b, 2a/1c, 4a.★

Gosh, mix textured hair at shoulder length seems like ultra hell to detangle... Maybe tie up up for this stage?

I have mixed type hair, the coarse zigzag hairs on my nape and the ultra fine straighter hair surrounding that area just loves to tangle and break, taking twice as long to reach the rest of my hem. Because of this i often contemplate cutting to where that area looks thick. I recall bsl to waist being lovely for hairstyles and volume, but I don't think I'd ever be happy cutting back there now. When I picture myself its always with long hair now, longer than my current length in fact, I guess it's become a huge part of my image.

Kayleigh
February 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
My minimum goal has always been waist. I started out about shoulderlength and set mini-goals for myself, first apl (which I've reached), then bsl (which I'm very close at right now), then mid-back and finally waist. When I reach waist I will determine if I want to grow further or not. As long as it stays healthy and doesn't get to hard to maintain I think I'll let it grow until classic in the end. Right now I don't think I'll want to go further than that. But I change my mind on a daily basis. :P

Iolanthe13
February 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I'm currently very close to my original goal, waist length. I have no intention of having my hair one length - layers suit me much better - but self-trims have eliminated or butchered most of the layers I had. So my new goal is hip or possibly tailbone, with some gentle layering. I also need to grow out old damage from dye and heat-styling. I can imagine myself reaching tailbone and deciding to grow it to my knees though, haha!

GeoJ
February 15th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I used to have the goal of knee length with a blunt hemline, but after health problems caused major shedding I changed my goals. Now my goal is to get my regrowth to reach my hemline, without cutting too short. I don't have a length goal now, just a healthy hair with a blunt hemline goal. I may change and add a length goal again in the future, if things seem to be going well. I don't want to make length goals without feeling confident I can achieve them.

truepeacenik
February 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Ha! I'm on one of those sites we don't want finding us, and there are, indeed, several long hair groups.
Goal length came up and one person wrote that she wanted to be able to pull her hair between her legs and have it reach her chin.
I've yet to measure what that would be on me, but I sooooooo want to do that.

Yes, I'm goofy.

Now, thinking about it, my hair is at pinky length, when wet. To have it come up and touch my chin would be about three more feet. Which would be dragging the ground.

Now....my navel is possible.....

Seeshami
February 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Every day of my life that The Naughty Mess remains longer then waist. And once he is classic, who knows.

The Naughty Mess says, "You'll never cut me drastically or maintain length, someday I will be terminal."

I don't know about that......

SGBSteve
February 15th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Ever since I grew out from a buzz, I haven't cut my hair, and I plan to continue to grow my hair.

Yeah same here. My original goal was to go to SL and I haven't even made it there yet. Then I started thinking about APL and BSL. I guess my real goal is to keep growing my hair until I feel its long enough. Who knows when that will be...

spirals
February 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM
IIRC, my first goal was waist. I've reached it technically. But that's when stretched. Also, what I thought was waist was actually hip. Now my goal is tailbone so it falls around BCL when dry. But who knows? Maybe I'll go for classic so it falls around tailbone.

Phalaenopsis
February 16th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Yes, I've changed hair goals :) I was convinced I wouldn't want it longer than hip. Now I'm going for tailbone ^^

yoni
February 16th, 2013, 04:40 AM

+1 (although i had a sort of "forced" haircut in the early stages of my growing :( )

melusine963
February 16th, 2013, 05:12 AM
My goal is tailbone, and I'm almost there. I've toyed with the idea of letting it grow longer than that - I'm honestly curious what my terminal length would be. However, I'd rather spend a year or two at TBL thickening my ends, and then reassess.

Actually, my goal has changed since I joined the LHC. I've always wanted TBL hair, but in my mind 'TBL' meant to the top of my butt. When I found out that the end of your tailbone is actually halfway down your butt, I decided to keep growing those extra few inches.

Islandgrrl
February 17th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I change my goal every time I reach one. My current goal is knee by way of fingertip. Once I'm there, I'll probably change it again!

ghost
February 17th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Originally I wanted classic, but now I would like to get my hair to terminal length, or at least knee. It's at my waist right now, and doesn't start feeling long to me until it touches my hipbones :(

PraiseCheeses
February 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
My stated goal changes as my hair gets longer, but my "secret" goal is to mid-thigh or knees. Shhh, don't tell anyone or my hair!

When I first joined, I was at collarbone and entered "waist" into the stats as a goal. It felt more realistic and attainable than immediately telling myself "I'm not going to cut my hair for the next six years." Insurmountable. Now that I'm past waist and my hemline is still decent, I feel more comfortable saying I'm shooting for BCL, tailbone, and beyond. One milestone at a time.

humble_knight
February 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM
By LHC standards, my end goal is not very long, especially compared to the other male LHC-ers. Initially, I wanted the same length as Aragorn [Aragorn Length {AL} in my own terminology for men's hair lengths]. Now that it looks very likely that my working life will head in a new direction, I think CL is my new goal [Conan Length :D Jason Momoa as Conan :D]

Achlys
February 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
My original goal was around BC, then tailbone, now classic. I change it as my courage to dream grows. :D

jessa
February 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
When I first joined TLHC my goal was waist length. Now I am past waist, my goal has changed to TBL. I doubt I will grow it longer than that, I dont like the idea of sitting on my hair.

dwell_in_safety
February 17th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I've changed my goal from waist to tailbone after joining here. I'm past waist at this point, on my way to hip, so it wouldn't have taken long to reach my original goal. :p Pretty unexciting. At tailbone I may carry on to classic, not sure yet. I'm finally starting to think that my hair is long, and I don't know if I'd be up for the haircare after TBL even though by then I should only be washing my hair twice a month or so.

LadyLongLocks
February 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
My original goal was knee and 56" but when I reached it I decided to grow to 60".I wanted to say I once had 5ft long hair. Then I continued a little longer to 69". I am at my limit now.

lapushka
February 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM

I changed my hair goal constantly when I was between chin and BSL, while my true goal was classic length. Why? Because it was so short and in awkward stages all the time. But that all changed once I got past BSL, then I went straight for the classic length I had as a young teen.

Naiadryade
February 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM
When I first joined LHC about a year ago, I thought for a while that I wanted to grow to terminal--my mom had thigh-length hair in the 70's, and I wanted to see if I could get that long or longer. Lately I've been thinking I might not want to go past tailbone or so. I like to wear it down a lot, and it seems like this wouldn't be as practical past TBL or CL... I would sit on it! Plus, honestly I do want people to be able to see my butt if I'm wearing tight pants. I think it would be really cute to be at TBL and have my butt peeking out from under my hair. Sorry if that's TMI!

My current mini-goal is waist. That's the longest it's ever been, when I was a kid. I don't think I'll really be happy with my hair until it's at waist. But I'm pretty sure I'll be super thrilled about it as soon as it gets past hip! Then I'll be like Katara from Avatar: TLA.

trolleypup
February 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Ha! I'm on one of those sites we don't want finding us, and there are, indeed, several long hair groups.
Goal length came up and one person wrote that she wanted to be able to pull her hair between her legs and have it reach her chin.
I've yet to measure what that would be on me, but I sooooooo want to do that.

Yes, I'm goofy.

Now, thinking about it, my hair is at pinky length, when wet. To have it come up and touch my chin would be about three more feet. Which would be dragging the ground.

Now....my navel is possible.....
The real question is how many LHCers immediated had to check. :misskim:

Umm. That would be almost exactly 6'...another 21 inches.

One inch away from BBTLW.

Latte Lady
February 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I had ankle length once and decided, while that was fun, and watching people walk into light poles as I went by was pretty funny, I didn't much enjoy that length. I couldn't do much of anything with it and was being given wonderful hair toys by my family that I couldn't possibly use with the bulk. Not that I had [I]that[I] much bulk as my hair is rather thin. I therefor cut my hair to knee and that gave me some more freedom with my hair to play with.
I've loved my knee length hair but after about eight years of this length I asked my Mother for my typical two- three inch trim and a few family members came with her. I don't have a full body mirror so I have no idea what my hair really looks like from behind. Can only guess at it. I asked them for their honest opinion on my hair. They all agreed that the last few inches were dead and needed to go but that while the rest of my hair was healthy, it would look better if I cut it to just below my bum.
I just want to say that my family likes long hair and are supportive of my extreme length so they were in no way pressuring me to chop. I decided that if so many people thought the same thing that they must be right and so, as of this Monday, have classic length hair. After a day or two of panic when I woke up to find that my hair was gone, I've decided that I like this length. I can wear it down much more often then I could before without worry. I also have a wealth of hair toys that I've never worn that I think I can now play with!
I'm lucky that my hair grows super fast so I can always have my knee length back in a year or two, if I want it. And I'll have a fresh new healthy start.

rach
February 19th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hip seemed like a dream when i first came here. Now i'm there, i don't feel like stopping. Rebellion against my short hair family , gens curiosity, more buns available to me as the length gains, henna addiction?
I'm enjoying the journey anyway.

rach
February 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I had ankle length once and decided, while that was fun, and watching people walk into light poles as I went by was pretty funny,
This did make me laugh.

Latte Lady
February 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
True though! That length isn't seen every day and I'd probably hurt myself spinning around to watch someone go by if I saw it. The only reason I hung on to that length for as long as I did was because no one I knew had ever had it. I didn't really enjoy it beyond that.

ravenreed
February 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I have changed my goal several times. Once I hit my goal, I hang out there for a bit, and decide if I want to get a little longer. My last goal is fingertip.

excentricat
February 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM
My original goal was waist. I realized before BSL that I would want longer than waist. Now that I'm almost at hip, the plan is to keep growing it until it gets too annoying. When that day comes, I'll re-evaluate what I want to do with it.

Khristopher
February 20th, 2013, 01:35 AM
This is such an interesting thread to read!
Before I came here, I never had a goal length. I just wanted my hair to grow and be healthy. I trimmed when I felt like it, my inicial length was a short bob so any grow seemed long compared to that.
Now when I found this lovely site :crush: I saw all the length definitions and asked myself 'what I'm aiming for?'. My hair was brushing waist so I decided Classic was the ideal. Why? It's longer than most people's hair, but it seems manageable still. I'm at hip+ now.
About the tangles, it's was basically the same at every length for me. Braiding overnight made a HUGE difference, as well as a silky scarf I use over my pillowcase.

Apriori
February 20th, 2013, 02:09 AM
When I first came here my goal was waist but it didn't take me more than a month to change it to hip and another month to change it to tailbone. And for the last 1,5 years it has stayed at tailbone.

palaeoqueen
February 20th, 2013, 05:27 AM
When I first started to think seriously about growing my hair I had somewhere in the APL-BSL length in mind. After joining LHC that quickly changed to WSL. After some time it changed again to hip and recently I'm thinking that TBL might be even nicer...

I'm not even at APL yet and have a lot of bleach/damage to cut out so it's going to be some time yet before I need to actually decide where I want to stop growing.

Kherome
February 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I don't know that I even have a goal anymore. I came here with waist length hair. I wanted tail bone. I made it there, got bored, and stopped looking at my hair. I wear it up every single day (for years and years now) so I don't really look at it. The other day I did, and I was surprised to find I am brushing classic now. It's kind of a pain to comb and such but once it's combed and up it is fine. I don't have a specific goal other than make sure it looks healthy. I hate the look of thin at the ends, so if I get there I'll chop to get rid of that, otherwise I guess it's just doing it's thing up there and we'll see how long it goes before I can't stand it.