PDA

View Full Version : Questions about S&D

nikkidondon
February 14th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone!
Okay so I have a couple questions since I'm still a newbie here...
So today I was feeling very blah about my hair. It was looking very dry and white dotty on the ends and I was feeling very frustrated with it. I also have layers I am trying to grow out plus two more inches of bleach so the whole thing was a huge mess today and I've been a bit discouraged. So instead of going to the salon and having them whack it all off I S&D for about 30 minutes and got most of the white dots off and splits but I'm kind of nervous. How much of search and destroy is too much? I feel like I get scissor happy when I'm doing it but I'm making sure only to cut the dots, splits, or broken bent pieces. Plus, the bleach parts are the worst but I only have two more inches to go with that so I'm toughing that part out. To make it clearer:

1. Can one ever search and destroy too much? If I see a broken, bent or white dot piece I should be snipping it right?
2. Will search and destroy allow me to keep my length?

I do want fairytale ends eventually.

Thanks for reading the rant!!

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 03:44 AM
1. If you search and destroy for damage only, then it's not likely (unless get tons of damage, then maybe). 2. I think it will for the most part unless you have mid-shaft splits/fairy knots.

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2013, 04:37 AM
In my opinion you can't s&d too much the idea is to remove damage. Remember to use sharp shears or other wise you could cause more damage.

nikkidondon
February 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your answers:) It seems that I keep getting damage in one spot of my hair and that's the part I have left of bleach to grow out so I guess I will just continue my routine:)

trolleypup
February 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
In my opinion you can't s&d too much the idea is to remove damage. Remember to use sharp shears or other wise you could cause more damage.
As long as you are cutting out actual damage, you can't S&D too much. Remember to stop when you run out of damage...this has been a problem for some people.

melusine963
February 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Remember to use sharp shears or other wise you could cause more damage.

This!

S&Ding has actually helped me avoid trimming more than necessary. With the splits already gone, I only have to trim to maintain my hemline, rather than having to cut off inch after inch of damage.

ZenaZoo
February 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
The ony version of s&d I do is twisting sections of hair and snipping a few mm off what sticks out every few months. I do the odd one length trim every few months alo, ths is only to maintain waist til my last layer catches up, about 2 inches to go! Yay

nikkidondon
February 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
As long as you are cutting out actual damage, you can't S&D too much. Remember to stop when you run out of damage...this has been a problem for some people.

Thanks that worried me! I wasn't cutting out more than splits so I should be fine :]

QMacrocarpa
February 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM
S&D is not for everyone. For me, any S&D-ing is too much. I am susceptible to obsessing over tiny irrelevant details (while letting the big picture go to heck), and I know from long-ago experience that snipping splits out of my hair one by one is not good for me. Gives me headaches, makes me feel like my grip on sanity is loosening. Twice-yearly tiny self-trims (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) keep my split-prone hair in okay shape.