PDA

View Full Version : Searching for 100% Natural Products. HELP!

MissEarlGrey
February 14th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I didn't feel it was appropriate to post this in the conventional products forum, because this isn't a really conventional request.

I'm on a mission to remove everything that is not environmentally friendly from my beauty routine. Right now, I'm looking for shampoo and conditioner. Over the past month I've tried CV shampoo bars, Dr. Bronners with a lemon juice rinse, BS and vinegar..to no avail. Every time, my scalp looks and feels alright, but my LENGTH. Tacky, gummy, sticky, and limp. And I know what you're going to say, that I have to manually wash my length, and I promise I did. And, I promise I rinsed like a demon. And my water is neither hard nor soft.

My ideal product match would be a shampoo that is clarifying and a conditioner that is light and would CO well. My requirements are: must be vegan, organic, sulfate and silicone free, pthalate free, paraben free, pretty much any chemical that gets a rating on EWG Skin Deep above a zero free.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

PixxieStix
February 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
That is a pretty tall order, especially with the EWG Skin Deep rating needing to be zero, but I accept the challenge! :D . As far as shampoo goes, I did find this and it looks as though it fits the bill for the most part other than I don't know if it is clarifying. http://www.etsy.com/listing/75705846/restoring-shampoo-natural-raw-vegan-240?ref=sr_gallery_34&ga_search_query=organic+vegan+shampoo&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

As for conditioner, I'll have to get back to you on that one, as my two favorites have either honey or goats milk in them, making them non-vegan. I'll see what I can find though! :)

bunnylake
February 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
EWG is not accurate by any means. I would take everything on that website with a grain of salt. They are lobbyists, not chemists or toxicologists or scientists.

kittengirl
February 14th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Try Organic Excellence shampoo and conditioner. I have used it for over a year and I LOVE it.

GrowingGlory
February 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I just started using California Baby Therapeutic Relief Skin Protectant Shampoo and Body Wash. It is vegan and has a short ingredient list. HTH.

BambooBeauty
February 14th, 2013, 10:46 PM
You should try 100% pure. You order it online. I have to admit i have not tried the hair care but I do love the makeup

spirals
February 15th, 2013, 12:30 AM
This is why I switched to Dr. Bronner and started making stuff. I find if I leave my acid rinse in it works waaaay better. It took me several months to figure it out. I added marshmallow root extract to the rinse and now I don't need conditioner. For styling product I use flax spray I make and it is better than the gels and mousses I used before. I know my stuff is vegan and it's so natural that it's edible. It wouldn't taste good, but I could literally eat it (except the soap, of course). The best thing is that the bag of flax seeds I bought for $2 will give me 80 (!) recipes of flax gel spray.

alyaziaaah
February 15th, 2013, 03:05 AM
what about soapnuts instead of shampoo?

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I'm searching for natural products too, but it's a toughie...I mean it's hard to find something completely natural on the market except soap or shampoo bars. The only 100% Natural Products I know are indian herbs like shikakai, brahmi, amla, etc., ACV, eggs, seaweed, and tea (maybe). I think it's more easier to go natural if you DIY.

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Try Organic Excellence shampoo and conditioner. I have used it for over a year and I LOVE it. I wanted to try this brand, but wasn't sure about it. Is it a soap type of shampoo?

renia22
February 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM
How about Curelle? It's a Canadian brand & I have only been able to find it online. The Energe Shampoo is their clarifying version (they also have a moisturizing one), and the Treslite conditioner is the lighter one of the 2 they offer:

http://www.finlandiapharmacyonline.com/search.php?search_query=curelle&x=39&y=13

MissDixie
February 15th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I've been using the Indian herbs with great results! I will probably never use shampoo except for removing an oil treatment. So far I haven't been able to do that with them. I have noticed an improvement from use. What I thought was frizzy hair that would never go away, turned to smoother strands that lay down now. When I tried shampoo again...my hair was instantly unruly!!!

Tristania
February 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Maybe it's time to experiment with some recipes of your own?

lunalocks
February 15th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I have been using Desert Essence organics shampoo and conditioner and I am pretty happy with it. The 2 I use are the coconut and the red raspberry. When My S-I-L went on a rafting trip in Montana, they made her buy this brand to use as it is so environmentally friendly.

jeanniet
February 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Soapwort root also makes a good shampoo, and it's very easy to make. You can follow with a conditioning herb rinse. I used this for about a year, but ultimately it wasn't moisturizing enough for my hair (the standard moisturizing herbs, such as marshmallow or fenugreek, build up terribly on my hair). I live in a drier climate, though, and my hair needs a lot of moisture.

If you really want an all-natural product, it would be worthwhile experimenting with making your own. It's not difficult once you figure out your ingredients, and it's kind of fun.

NightOwl26
February 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Giovanni shampoo and conditioner are natural and have great ingredients and clean well.

Long_hair_bear
February 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM
If you're a vegan against honey, then this is out, but its a great shampoo!

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/toadstoolhairandbody/1258335/shampoo_rose_petal_olive_oil_coconut_oil_cocoa_but ter_honey_lemon/handmade/bath___beauty/hair/shampoo

She makes great condishes too! 100 scents! I know some vegans are for honey while some are against. :)

PixxieStix
February 17th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Did some more looking and realized that the place I buy my organic facial moisturizer from also makes all kinds of products (duh!), and wanted to link to your their hair care stuff. I have a physical store nearby and found out a couple days ago when I went in to get more moisturizer that *gasp*, they have a little one-person-at-a-time salon in the back! I'm dying to go in and get a hair treatment from them, but its going to be a couple weeks until I can squeeze in the time. I'm going to buy some of the 2oz sample sizes of their shampoos and conditioners when I get that treatment to see how they work, because with how long an 8 oz bottle of shampoo and conditioner last me, I like to splurge on them. :) Linkage to organic, food grade, cruelty free goodies : http://www.intelligentnutrients.com/shop-by-category/hair-care

McFearless
February 17th, 2013, 10:41 PM
This (http://well.ca/categories/hair-care_741.html?ref=megamenu) is a shopping website that I use it to check out reviews on all sorts of products as well as their ingredients list. There are little icons beneath each product that that list whether they are organic, natural and/or vegan. I've linked you to the 'green and natural' section of the website where I'm sure you'll find a line that works for you. A lot of brands that have positive reviews on LHC are found there.

I buy skin and hair products from this (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Zria) woman as well and all her items are heavenly.

Naiadryade
February 17th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I use Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash (http://www.terressentials.com/) instead of shampoo. It's all organic, and it's just clay, aloe, plant extracts and essential oils. It cleans very well without building up. I highly reccommend it.

Finding a properly conditioning routine has been a little trickier for me. I do catnip treatments after washing, and I rinse with herbal tea after that (I vary the ingredients of this, but it usually contains at least hibiscus and roses). I oil my hair with olive oil every 2-3 days, and my scalp with a mostly castor/almond oil mix every night. It gets really dry if I'm not vigilant about this, especially the oilings. But I have dry-tending hair. My recent experiments with egg washes (not strictly vegan--I get them freegan from a nearby conference center where they have to throw out slightly cracked eggs by law) have seemed to leave my hair more moisturized... I made a thread over at the natural hair-care board if you want to see it.

If a conditioner as purely natural as Terressentials exists, someone please tell me about it!!